The New Christians

The New Christians

One Day News Boycott

posted by Tony Jones

So, I happened to turn the news on in the middle of the night, and I caught wind of President Obama’s bad joke about bowling being like the Special Olympics. We all now what’s coming: a media onslaught of replays and punditry about the president’s offensive remark.

I, for one, cannot handle it.  Yes, I’m sure it was offensive, and I am disappointed that he said what he said.  But I haven’t seen it, and I’m going to do everything in my power to neither see the video of the remark, nor hear commentators (or read bloggers) blather on incessantly about it.

Will you join me?  Will you boycott the news for one day?

Charles Cosimano

posted March 20, 2009 at 6:23 am

I generally only watch the news once a week. The stories rarely change more often than that.

Jane

posted March 20, 2009 at 6:45 am

“everything in your power not to neither see the video or the remark” “boycott the news for one day” Good for you!!!!
In the president’s vernacular, special olympics is spin for retard. Those of us who love people with disabilities, including the mentally retarded, will rightfully point out the injustice of the remark.

pinkhammer

posted March 20, 2009 at 7:13 am

Tony,
This is unfortunately one of the reasons I don’t watch much news. All that kind of nonsense (which seems to take up more and more of what is broadcasted) makes me a little nuts and then shifts to anger. Maybe that’s a cop out. Maybe I should get angry about it.
ihs,
Pinkhammer

Joel

posted March 20, 2009 at 9:10 am

…but if Bush or a conservative leader had said it, would you likewise boycott the media, or join in the frenzy?
Obama made an extremely offensive comment. I know this might shock people, but he is fallible. Not only that, he says stupid things quite often (just, because he’s The One, no one notices).
To me, ignoring his offensive remarks out of some blind and misplaced loyalty is almost as bad as ignoring his offensive policies.

M.joshua

posted March 20, 2009 at 9:54 am

I didn’t know about it. Blogs / twitter are my news. I wouldn’t have known about it had you not brought it up.

Rick

posted March 20, 2009 at 10:04 am

Joel, Did you ignore George W. Bush’s almost daily onslaught of insensitive and offensive remarks? Did you point out W’s offensive remarks and join in the frenzy like some liberal commentators did? Are you doing, in accusing others of such bias, showing it? Who cares? Bush said stupid things. Almost daily. The news media covered it perdiocially, but not too often. Usually no one besides Keith Olberman and some bloggers noticed. Look at the plank in the eye of those guys at Fox and such that try to make Biden’s remarks bigger than they are and make controversy out of nothing (see below for links/ couldn’t they be patient and wait for Biden to really say something stupid, which he will?). They will give us fake outrage all day and night. It was not worthwhile to news coverage, unless it was particularly funny (and I will put a wager on this- if you want to pony up- Jon Stewart will have a heyday with it) or he said something that could cause serious trouble. Here is a link to all of the goodies from Bush’s time in office. I am sure your were as outraged and offended by many of his statements- http://www.slate.com/id/76886/pagenum/3 Links to Fox and Biden, part 1 (if you would like more, I am happy to help): http://tinyurl.com/c7yv4j

Kenton

posted March 20, 2009 at 10:28 am

Rick-
You COMPLETELY miss the point. Joel is not advocating berating Obama, he’s merely pointing out Tony’s hypocrisy in burying his head in the sand. I love Tony and Brian McLaren when they talk theology, but when they talk politics I check out, and this underscores why. They both proclaimed Obama as their political hero as followers of Jesus, and now that they’ve gotten what they ask for, the glory of the temple is starting to fade and the disillusionment begins.
-Kenton

Your Name

posted March 20, 2009 at 10:34 am

I say stupid and offensive things without thinking multiple times each day, then there are the stupid and offensive things that I say on purpose. Should we be a people of grace? Showing the grace we have experienced is part of our duty as disciples isn’t it?

Kenton is on to something

posted March 20, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I think Kenton is on to something here. I think that whenever people begin to combine their following of Jesus with specific political policies or particular candidates it is the kingdom of God that loses out. While I appreciate the contributions Tony and other emergents have made to the ongoing Christian discussion, I am less appreciative of their political contributions. While I certainly can’t assess Tony’s motives in the above post, the post itself wreaks of bias–a bias that ultimately favors the emerging (pun intended) religious left!
FYI – I am not part of the religious right!

Re:Kenton

posted March 20, 2009 at 12:39 pm

FYI – I am not part of the religious right!

Joel

posted March 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Actually Rick, I did get extremely upset at Bush.
You see, I’m apolitical. I support politicians who hold to the ideals I hold to when it comes to the law. Bush was not one of those politicians. Even if he were, when he said stupid things I would have still spoken out against him.
Secondly, what the hell does that have to do with the fact that Tony Jones is acting like the religious right and blindly supporting a politician, even when that politician is in the wrong?
I don’t get it – I thought the EC was against the religious right. If so, why do they act exactly like them? You can keep your religious right and your liberal left – I’m going to follow Christ and allow Him to make my political decisions, meaning I’m going to disagree with any politician, no matter who that politician is.
I’m simply asking for some consistency here. I can’t find that in the fundamentalist church and it’s getting harder and harder to find it in the emergent church as well.

RE: KENTON

posted March 20, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I could not agree more with Kenton. I’m finding it very hard to continue to follow to Tony or listen to anything he has to say when he posts things like this.
Just the other day he said on Doug Pagitt’s radio show that as people become more educated they become more liberal. He said “it’s a 1 to 1 ratio.” That statement implies that people who aren’t liberal are uneducated or at least less educated than a liberal person.
Also, I recently read a quote from Tony in which he stated that the “bible is a f***ing scary book.”
I think Tony’s just crossing the line and it’s getting to be absurd. He’s not being objective when he looks at a subject and speaks about it. He’s got his way of doing things (and apparently saying things) and he seems to not like any criticism. I’m done following Tony Jones!

melinda

posted March 20, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Obama called the president or executive or whoever before the show even aired, to apologize for what he’d said. so people really need to just get over it. hearing that was the first story i heard about it (didn’t see the show) and the only thing i care to know. so the president is human. we should get over it now.
thanks, tony.
boycotting with you.

Your Name

posted March 21, 2009 at 8:06 am

The role, first and foremost of any business, (including the media), is to compete successfully to make a profit.
Taking that as a given, that is what the media will do, and it in part, regrettably, consists of spending time on the “bread and circuses” that we the consumers of their product have demonstrated we want. It can be argued that we have been conditioned to want it, but be that as it may, we want it, and they serve it up to us. It is why celebutants garner so many pages of print, why papparazzi exist, and why anything of importance in the news generally sails under the radar of public attention.
If you want the media to be responsible do not by any salacious or sensational offerings, and refuse to enter conversations concerning such things. This is not to say one should put one’s head in the sand about either an Obama or a Bush gaffe. However, and this is a really scary thought to me, when a Rush Limbaugh can become as influencial as he is today, it speaks of the desert which is thinking politics and discourse. It is time to take the clowns off the stage, and the only way to do that is stop buying their crappy product.

Todd Pruitt

posted March 23, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I am wondering why Tony is now suddenly afraid to hear something negative about a stupid comment by the President. Is he under the impression that the coverage will be even remotely as negative as the daily media onslaught against our former President?
What happened to speaking truth to power?
Of course President Obama’s stupid comments are not nearly as profane as his enthusiastic support of abortion and the destruction of human embryos for scientific research.

Erik

posted March 24, 2009 at 1:13 am

Boycott? Are you turning Baptist on us?

Daniel

posted March 25, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Re: Re: Kenton
Why were you “following” Tony to begin with? Last I checked he was a man, totally and completely capable of error, something I am sure he is willing to admit.
-Daniel