The New Christians

The New Christians

Churches Behaving Badly

posted by Tony Jones

Help add to Brandon’s list of crazy stuff you’ve heard around church.  My faves:

1. Your message was good. You didn’t blaspheme the Holy Spirit or anything.

2. What is the deal with your weight?

9. Don’t you think your secretary is too attractive?

14. You should warn people first before you show pictures of snakes in your sermons.

Rob

posted February 13, 2009 at 7:01 pm

“You should sit closer to the front, the anointing is stronger up there”

Darren King

posted February 13, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Actually overheard spoken by the wife of a Pentecostal pastor:
“Mother Teresa seemed like such a nice person. Its too bad she’s in Hell now.”

Dan Sardinas

posted February 13, 2009 at 7:30 pm

The 2 most ridiculous things I’ve heard in my ministry are the following 2….Both happened in my days as a youth pastor and an intern in very legalistic churches. Both are real…I kid you not. I couldn’t make this stuff up.
1. “You are doing too much outreach. If you do any more we are going to get all kinds of sick people coming to church, like drug addicts and child molesters.”
2. “If it’s not in the hymn book than it has no place being sung in the house of God.” This was made in reference to a comment about why churches shouldn’t sing contemporary songs on a screen during a service.
I’ll try to remember some more crazier ones….

Cobus

posted February 14, 2009 at 5:39 am

Someone told this to one of my female pastor friends two days ago, I kid you not:
The devil came to Eve because he knew Adam wouldn’t fall for it, then Adam, knowing that Jesus will eventually come, decided to take the punishment with Eve, because he was such a nice guy, actually he was perfect.

Alan

posted February 14, 2009 at 11:52 pm

OK, this didn’t happen to me, but to a friend of a friend. This was the word of comfort given to a single girl in her thirties: “Maybe your soulmate already died and you’ll meet him in heaven.”

Heather W

posted February 15, 2009 at 11:25 am

Here’s one – man told me that,
“My pastor heals 100% of the people he’s ever prayed for…”
I visited that church, with someone who needed healing (my mom, actually), to give the guy a shot. (Ok, desperate times call for desperate measures, right?)
Pastor preached a sermon on, “Why it’s not actually lying if you claim a healing took place, even if nothing happened yet”

Jake

posted February 15, 2009 at 11:11 pm

“Save the lost! Save the lost! That’s all I ever hear about anymore, and I’m sick of it!”
No joke.

Letty Wiley

posted June 4, 2014 at 2:34 am

Hiya, I’m really glad I’ve found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish only about gossips and web and this is really annoying. A good web site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web-site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.

Garth Nicholson

posted July 9, 2014 at 9:35 am

Wow, fantastic blog structure! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for? you make running a blog look easy. The full look of your web site is wonderful, let alone the content material!

Sandee Sluka