The New Christians

The New Christians

Blacklisted by Moody!

posted by Tony Jones

So, I’m on a panel with one of the authors of an anti-emergent book at the Christian Book Expo next month, and I emailed his publisher, Moody Publishing, to get a review copy of the book (no, I haven’t read it yet; yes, I plan to…skim it).

Well, after several failed emails, I finally read the fine print.  It seems that the moody.edu incoming mail server has blocked the beliefnet.com URL!  Don’t they know that Bnet is owned by FOX?!?

Blacklisted by Moody.png

panthera

posted February 19, 2009 at 9:47 am

So that is why I get such angry comments about ‘Faux news’ from some of the christianists around here!
It is a symptom of the conservatives that this site would be blocked. They are incapable of any discourse except on their own terms.
I’m not you, so I’d use that as a weapon at the conference…

David D.

posted February 19, 2009 at 10:58 am

Tony,
Why even skim it…it is clear to all that you already know everything…if there is any doubt all one has to do is ask you.

Theresa Seeber

posted February 19, 2009 at 11:03 am

What is the book? When is the event?

Tommy O'Keefe

posted February 19, 2009 at 11:26 am

Is it Ted Kluck or Kevin DeYoung?

Peter

posted February 19, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I guess you’re just not as cool as you thought you were

cas

posted February 19, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Tony,
You seem to have a penchant for assigning sinister motives to theological conservatives. I’ve been blacklisted, and I can tell you, blocked email isn’t blacklisting. Did it ever occur to you that Moody might have the same problem with spam as beliefnet.com?

hunter

posted February 19, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Why does it matter if Moody has blocked beliefnet? Email isn’t the only means of communication. In the scheme of things, it’s a non-issue.

Raymond

posted February 19, 2009 at 1:06 pm

It seems like most of the posters here fail to see your sarcasm. They need to develop a new font or font attribute like italics that allows one to indicate they are being sarcastic.

Virgil Vaduva

posted February 19, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Tony, as an infosec professional I will suggest that this is an honest mistake. uribl.com is a service which apparently Moody is using to filter potential spam from sources which the uribl administrators marked as spam.
This seems to be a uribl problem and Moody just happens to be one of their users/customers, more specifically of the multi.uribl.com database; see http://www.uribl.com/about.shtml for some technical details.
The beliefnet admins need to get in touch with uribl and see why they have been blacklisted and if there is spam being sent through their servers.

tony jones

posted February 19, 2009 at 1:57 pm

hello, everyone, I was kidding. I don’t assign sinister motives to Moody.
Ge’ez, people, lighten up!

tripp

posted February 19, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Come on Tony. Why are you making jokes? Don’t you know that having fun at the expense of the world wide web is an insult to the whole world? Don’t you know God made the world? Or have you gotten rid of that belief too, along with Paul and Original sin? Does Moody make you moody? Does the mention of their name make you sinister?

Mike

posted February 19, 2009 at 6:04 pm

LOL, Tripp

cas

posted February 19, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Well, then Tony, you sure do like to “kid” about conservatives having sinister motives. Fine. Personally, though, I’m not one to joke about blacklisting. Nothing funny about that.

cas

posted February 19, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Well then, you sure do like to kid about conservatives having sinister motives … a lot. Fine. Personally, though, I don’t like to kid about blacklisting. Nothing funny there.

cas

posted February 19, 2009 at 7:15 pm

You got yourself a double-dose of reprimand. Thanks B-Net : )

Dean Tregenza

posted February 19, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Well, some would say that working for an organisation within the Kingdom of Rupert AKA News Corporation perhaps you are not to be trusted!
Hmm… come to think of in Zondervan is also a part of the Kingdom of Rupert… what does this say of the NIV translation? :-)

Jon

posted February 20, 2009 at 6:40 am

It’s a good thing i read the comments before posting mine! I guess, next time it happens people will think you’re just crying wolf XD.

gavin richardson

posted February 21, 2009 at 10:38 pm

i can’t blame the desire to filter email, but yes, this one seems a bit odd. hope you are doing well my friend. shalom, -gav

Heidy Hartley

posted February 23, 2009 at 11:01 am

Moody Bible Institute subscribes to a publicly accessible and maintained black list service called URIBL. It seems that belief.net for some reason has been flagged by this company, and therefore the email was not received by Moody’s server. We apologize for this inconvenience. It may be best to check with URIBL (www.uribl.com ) as to how this may be resolved so you are removed from their list. We would be happy to send you the book you are interested in reviewing. Please let me know where this can be sent? – HH