The New Christians

The New Christians

The Minnesota Boy from Milk

posted by Tony Jones

In the movie, Milk, there is a poignant scene in which Harvey Milk answers the phone and on the other end of the line is a wheelchair-bound boy who says that his family is abusing him because of his same sex attraction.  Milk tells the boy to get out of the house and fly to San Francisco where he’d be surrounded by people who would accept him.

There’s been a search on for the boy, since he’s not in the book on which the film is based, and he’s not named in Milk’s own journals.

The boy has supposedly made himself known to the Twin Cities alt weekly, the City Pages.  And it turns out that, if Gerard Dols is telling the truth, he is even more involved in the story.  It seems that a phone call from him might have provoked Milk’s boyfriend, Jack, to commit suicide.

Now, however, Dols reports that he no longer lives the homosexual lifestyle:

Anyway, I am the Minnesota boy in the Milk movie. I am the boy
from Richmond. I am now a born-again Christian. I have a strong faith.
I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in my life.

JonAtFaithUCC

posted January 16, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Whether or not this guy is “the guy”, what exactly is the “homosexual lifestyle”, Tony? It’s one of my pet-peeve phrases because it implies much but says little.

Gerard Dols

posted January 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Mordred08

posted January 16, 2009 at 7:25 pm

“Anyway, I am the Minnesota boy in the Milk movie. I am the boy from Richmond. I am now a born-again Christian. I have a strong faith. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in my life.”
Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
JonAtFaithUCC: “BTW, can’t gay people be born-again Christians? Do gay people lack a strong faith? (or any faith?) Are gay people incapable of being chaplains?”
I’m guessing that would be a “no” on all three (or a “not unless they’re celibate”) as far as conservative Christians are concerned. And unfortunately for liberal Christians, the conservative ones seem to be the ones who decide what constitutes “real” Christianity in this country.

LutheranChik

posted January 16, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Homosexuality isn’t a “lifestyle.” Enough already.
BTW, I am a Christian; a lay leader in my church, in fact. My partner is also a Christian, and also active in our church. Imagine that.

Auntie

posted January 17, 2009 at 9:10 am

“Milk” was not based upon Randy Shilts’ 1988 book, “The Mayor of Castro Street”)
Screenwriter Dustin Lance Black wrote “Milk” based upon two years of interviews with Mr Milk’s surviving friends (who advised the production and were present on set daily) and independent research into original documents (over-lapping incidents are inevitable – the same people were involved in Mr Milk’s real life, the making of Mr Shilt’s book, and the film “Milk”)
As for the allegation —
“…And it turns out that, if Gerard Dols is telling the truth, he is even more involved in the story. It seems that a phone call from him might have provoked Milk’s boyfriend, Jack, to commit suicide…” How odd that the article does not elaborate

M. Richardson

posted January 17, 2009 at 2:06 pm

“You need to do more research, I am in the book and I am in 4 pages. The mayor of castro by Randy S. Get your facts.” We’re expected to believe this was written by a middle aged man?

The other Jake

posted January 17, 2009 at 5:01 pm

“You need to do more research, I am in the book and I am in 4 pages. The mayor of castro by Randy S. Get your facts. gerard”
And he doesn’t know the name of the book or the name of its author? Or that the movie isn’t based on that book? Sounds fishy.

Jon

posted January 18, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Tony, you wrote:
Now, however, Dols reports that he no longer lives the homosexual lifestyle. I’m assuming you arrived at that because of this Dol quote:
Dols doesn’t say that he no longer lives the homosexual lifestyle (at least in the quote above). He simply states that he is now a “born-again Christian”. Granted, the stereotype would be “born again”, therefore no “homosexual lifestyle”
I’m not taking exception to Dols possible decision to become “born-again” and rejection being gay, he might have clarified if he considered himself to still be homosexual in quotes elsewhere. Or can born-again homosexuals still be gay – different issue.
My concern is you automatically made that leap. You’re better than that. It’s not like you to not question a little more or to leave open the possibility that there might more to those words. I applaud you for attempting to expand the conversation on the church and GLBT issues. Small steps add will add up to a leap at some point. But it will take, even you, to check and re-check the stereotypes, the phrasing, and the choice to use the phrase “homosexual lifestyle.”
A thanks for your willingness to make us face our dogma, to, etc. Keep it up.

robroy

posted January 18, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Doesn’t this person know he can’t possibly exist? He does not seem to understand that once someone has had one homosexual encounter, nay had one homosexual inkling, then that person cannot choose his actions but his entire life’s destiny is committed to homosexuality. It’s not a choice!
Interesting that Exodux International has doubled in size, http://tinyurl.com/a8t5z2. Exodus International has a success rates of 30-50% (in contrast most drug rehab success rates are in the single digits). http://tinyurl.com/a8t5z2

The other Jake

posted January 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm

To anyone interested in more from this sad, confused narcissist, read his hysterical replies here: http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2009/01/dols-claims-a-that-he-was-milk-boy-b-that-hes-no-longer-buying-the-cow.html

Tony Jones

posted January 19, 2009 at 9:20 am

Jon,
To clarify: in the City Pages article, Dols himself writes that he “no longer lives that lifestyle.” I should have put that phrase in quotes to make it clear that it wasn’t my judgment.

Jon

posted January 19, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Those pesky ” “. Thank you, I appreciate the clarification.

Gerard Dols

posted February 18, 2009 at 9:56 am

You people are so silly, the book was done in 1985, NOT 1988. YOU GUYS THINK THAT DUSTEN LANCE BLACK did’nt USE THE BOOK FOR HIS STORY? I got a house for you to buy for 1.00, NOT. Go to my web page and click on the word Chicago and listen to my whole testomony, how I knew Harvey Milk. Chaplain gerard http://www.midwestchaplains.org/?p=164