Thin Places

Thin Places

What Question Would You Ask God?

posted by amyjuliabecker

questionmark.jpg

We’ve entered a
new phase in our family life. Penny has started to ask questions. When we pick
Peter up from the train, she’ll say, “How was your day, Dad?” Or when she meets
someone new she’ll say, “Hi. What’s your name?” And of course there is the ever-present
childhood question, “Why?” I hear that one about every other minute.

Even though the
“why” questions exhaust me, I know I should be encouraged by Penny’s
inquisitiveness. Learning to ask questions is a part of growing up. For adults,
almost every time we greet one another we do so using a standard question: “How
are you?” Most people ask dozens of questions every day, questions that range
from those intended to gather simple facts to the ones that inquire of our
souls. We ask questions when we need help or information. We ask questions when
we’re confused. We ask about mundane things: What’s the weather forecast? What
are we having for dinner? We ask more personal questions when we care about
getting to know someone better: How’s work? How’s your family? And we ask,
perhaps with less frequency, more profound questions: Why do I exist? Is there
any purpose to life? Questions serve two basic purposes: they gain information
and they build relationships.

When Jesus walked
the earth, he asked questions all the time, and people asked him questions all
the time. Here’s a list of some of the questions people asked Jesus: How do
you know me? Don’t you care if we drown? What is truth? Are you the one that
was to come? How can we know the way?
The fact that other people routinely
asked Jesus questions suggests that they realized that he was someone to help
clear up their confusion about life; someone who could give them vital
information; someone who cared about their well-being.

And consider some of the questions that Jesus
asks people: Do you want to get well? Why are you troubled? Who do you say
that I am? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
The
fact that Jesus asked questions of others suggests that he wanted to engage in
conversation, not simply dictate his perspective on life.

For the next few
months on Tuesday mornings, I’m going to take a look at one of these places in
the Gospels, either where people ask questions of Jesus or where he asks
questions of those around him. The God of the Bible is not a God who commands
us to accept His existence without question or silences us when we have doubts,
fears, and concerns. Rather, the God of the Bible, and His Son Jesus Christ,
invites relationship, invites questions, invites exploration. I hope these reflections
will provide a way to look at a God who permits us, even invites us, to ask
questions still.

Barbara

posted September 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I think this theme will bear much fruit in your readers, Amy Julia. (Sorry to go declarative and not questioning.)
Questions are such an important cognitive prompt. Also important to wait for the response.

alice

posted September 14, 2010 at 4:03 pm

How do you forgive people you hate and that has never as for forgiveness.I am trying to get a book done about an accident in a dollar general store where they left me to die and with close to two million in medical bills.I need a van with a wheelchair lift maybe with a book i could save someone from this.I will never walk,standup,wear shoes.I have problems with eating .Dollar General said they made a mistake but its not like i died.thank you for anyhelp.

mike plude

posted September 17, 2010 at 5:09 am

Hi: What happens when we die? Is there a hell and if so why would a God who is all Love would allow people to suffer for all time? Thanks, Mike P

Michael

posted September 17, 2010 at 8:46 am

1. In the Ten Commandments it states thou shall not kill. But why is it was all right for God to kill man as it shows in the Bible so many times. That is do as I say not as I do.
2. According to the Bible, if you have not asked the Lord into your heart there is no way into Heaven. So what happened to all of the people who came before Jesus was born or lived in other countries and had no knowledge of him and his word. When they died does that mean they all went to Hell.
3. It states God made every living thing in the Garden of Eden. He made Adam and Eve and the world was populated by them. They had two sons Cane and Able, but Cane killed Able. Now that leaves only three to populate the world with. Does the word incest come to mind. How did science prove that dinosaurs were around millions of years ago, there is no mention of them in the Bible.
4. All the quotations in red in the bible are suppose to be Jesus’ on words or quotes, who had the tape recorder going to make sure of everything he said. There was not one it is mans on interpretation of what might have been said, or what someone wants you to believe no different from all the other Gods of Old (Greek, Egyptian, ect.).
This is to show you a little insite, and yes I have read the Bible from cover to cover but I am cosidered a pagan (meaning I believe in all the Gods of my forefathers) who is to say they were wrong for their beliefs. I have been asked to leave every domination of religion (Churches) for asking questions except for the Muslims because I have not asked them yet.

Sarah

posted September 17, 2010 at 9:13 am

Why does it say “Thou shall not kill” and people think that in war it’s ok because it’s you or them and on Death Row. They either gas them, hang, shoot, stone, use the chair, or injection. The State may say they die and the person who carries it out, would they go to Hell because of it? Does that count as breaking a commandment or is that forgiven automatically, is forgivable, or do you have to request forgiveness? People also need to quit trying to force religion down people’s throats too. It really pisses me off when people try to tell me what to do when they don’t even know me or anything about my life. Don’t pass out pamplets to me or mini bibles. If I want to know about it I’ll look it up myself, I don’t need your help. Mind your own business. My beliefs aren’t evil because I don’t read the bible all the time and go to church hardcore like old people do. I don’t preach to everybody and tell them what they need to do with their life because it’s not good enough by their standards. Things are going to be different for everyone for a reason so let them be.

Ole

posted September 17, 2010 at 10:04 am

What question would I ask God, is a good question in itself. God, why do you pick and choose people to bless, and give soften hearts to? Perhaps if You allowed everyone to have a soft heart, there would be no sin or disbelief. If it is true that all men are created equal, then all men should be or should recieve the same Blessings and Gifts that You have to offer. 2nd question is what would God say to me?

georgina

posted September 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm

why is my son going through so much pain when i ask God to give me strength to get through what we are going through at the time we get more bad news how much stronger do i have to be

Terry Kilgore

posted September 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

A lot of questions are being asked. Where do I find the answers to these questions that I am reading today. Who will give me the answers to these questions?

Ann

posted September 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Why did God place the tree of good and evil in the garden knowing it would tempt Adam and Eve to the point of sinning and changing life forever?

Eboni Black

posted September 17, 2010 at 5:42 pm

If God already knows when we are going to be born, to whom we will be born to, and even our names way before the event happens. He actually chooses our parents, so if two people conceived a child in sin (such as infidelity) does that mean that he also meant for that sin to occur??? confused!!!

Airvenus

posted September 17, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I have 2 questions, please:
FIRST – Why does it say we must have faith as small as a mustard seed to see what we pray for but then it says we must have faith with no doubt? If i have some faith as a small as a mustard seed, isn’t that enough to make my prayer effective?
SECOND – Also, I’m on the fence w/ LOA, hypnosis, etc. I have deep negative mind sets because of the way I was raised. I pray and try to change those ways of thinking but it never settles and stays in my conscious or subconscious and I constantly ‘relapse.’ I seriously think hypnosis (i have mp3s) will help but i’m afraid of using it if it is seemed as some form of worshiping another idol although i always give thanks to God for all great things that happen to and for me. Is it okay to engage in hypnosis and/or follow the teachings of the LOA of “feeling as if” and “acting as if” which are also the basic teachings of Jesus?

Mary

posted September 17, 2010 at 8:02 pm

If I could see God the Father face to face I would ask, Why did You ask Jesus Your Son to suffer and die that I might live? I know the simple answer is Love for me, but how did asking Him to suffer and die prove Your love for Him?

rich

posted September 18, 2010 at 12:15 am

I ask God two things. One, what is my purpose, my path in life? I feel completely lost and have no idea what to do for a career, or what my direction is to be. Two, why create people that you know will never accept Jesus, why create people you know will never be saved, never know you and will spend an eternity in hell? Wouldn’t it be better for them never to have been born than to eventually suffer eternally in hell?

GaryMac

posted September 18, 2010 at 5:02 am

Questions arise for two reasons, #1 we ask questions about God because we dont know the answers, #2 Jesus asked his disciples questions already knowing the answers. When we look at the questions Jesus asked who do we see as the binificery of the answer? It wasnt Jesus. There absoutly is nothing wrong with ignorance, what is wrong is when we dont seek knowledge that subsides that ignorance and the only way is asking questions to the authors of it and not seeking answers from man. Asking God directly is paramount if one ever is to get the correct answer. But then you say I have asked God and got no answer. and I tell you it isnt that He didnt answer it is that you arent listening or dont accept His answers. Only when we recieve the same Spirit in us that was in Christ Jesus will all thises questions about God be answered — By God Himself.

Fred Hackney

posted September 18, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Rich, on your cancer go to johns hopkins university, there is a cure for cancer with out chemo, change yout diet and build up your good immune cells. Good immune cells is the only thing to destroy cancer cells, Chemo only puts it in remmissiom and could come back at any time without you knowing it.The dr’sand pharmacy’s don’t want this to get out because there is no momey to be made.
My question to God, we know he has created man earth stars heavens plants and life in general. As a baby christian and cannot learn fast enough from the bible, I have one question. Where did God come from???? I know he is there and is in my life and cannot live with out him,but that is my honest heartfelt question

Karen

posted September 18, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Wow, I`ve been sitting here for awhile trying to think of what I would ask God, and I really don`t know. I do know that I would love to listen to him talking to me. I`ve found this quote very comforting ” If you only sat still and longed for me, you would be so unruffled,so calm, so bold. Refuse to be downcast.Love and laugh. I am with you.”

steve

posted September 19, 2010 at 1:40 am

When I die and go to heaven, will I see my golden retriever dog and be able to love her again, because if not then I’m not going, I want to go where she went!Do you have her Lord??

Tonya

posted September 20, 2010 at 12:52 am

I would ask God why he took my father to heaven so soon when I really need him now!

sandra

posted October 4, 2010 at 12:01 am

i would ask him if i was forgiven and if i was saved and will i go up in the rapture

Patricia

posted October 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I would ask HIM if the way I love my children, and I think that I couldn’t live with out them, would that love be enough for GOD? I wonder how much I love HIM. I have too many questions to ask.

sandra

posted October 23, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I would ask Him if He knew I would like to have done better. And why innocent animals have to suffer abuse.

Pingback: Questions for Jesus: Are you the One Who Was to Come? - Thin Places

Pingback: “How happy are those who have no doubts about me!” | Quality of Life Ministries

Pingback: Wrong relationship with God | Quality of Life Ministries