Their Bad Mother

Their Bad Mother

The Day The Music Died

posted by Catherine Connors

Beat It was one of the very first albums that I owned. Oh, I had, of course, a collection of Disney Pops, and the soundtracks to Annie and Star Wars and the like, but Beat It was the first real pop album that I ever owned. And I listened to it endlessly. I danced to it, I dreamed to it, I rocked out to it as only a scrawny white pre-adolescent girl can: with utter abandon.

I didn’t have a crush on Michael Jackson – I was young, and had already promised my heart to Speed Racer – although my cousin Christopher accused me of just that. He’s BLACK, you know, he would whisper, the weight of the conspiratorial wisdom of all ten year old boys heavy in his voice. That means that you can’t have his babies. I didn’t understand what loving Michael Jackson’s music – anybody’s music – had to do with making babies – I wasn’t sure that I understood entirely how one even went about making babies, or why anyone would want to (the narrative of Billie Jean escaped me entirely) – but I knew that it didn’t matter to me what color he was.

This, of course, became the great cosmic joke about Michael Jackson: that even he didn’t know what color he was. That he became devoid of color. Except that in the way that mattered to me – what his music sounded like, and how it made me want to dance – he was always full of color. And flashing lights and fireworks; explosions of sound and feeling. Beat. He remained full of that color, for me – or rather, his music did – through all the years that followed, through all the controversies and scandals and the gradual disintegration of Michael as a person that I could recognize (literally and figuratively) as sharing the same human world as my own. The music never changed. The music was always among the mostly deeply textured, the most richly colored, that I had ever heard. And it always made want to dance.

Like a white girl. Like a white girl who didn’t know that there was such a thing as dancing like a white girl. Which is to say, like a person, just responding to the most stirring of beats.

And for that I’ll always be grateful to him, and glad that he was part of this world, my world, for a time.

Requiescat in pace, Michael Jackson.

Chrystal

posted June 26, 2009 at 10:50 am

No way, I’m first!??
I agree. He was a star long before I was born, and his best albums were made when I was a mere child. I love(d) him, his music, he eccentricities. I never believed for one minute, any of the contraversial child molestation charges, and I will believe until the day I die that those were brought up just so some mom could make a buck. Not gonna lie, there.
I will miss him. His music will forever remain in my heart and soul, as well as my CD player in my car.
Definitely, RIP…..he needs the peace for sure.

marymac

posted June 26, 2009 at 11:40 am

No snarking here either- had the Thriller poster on my wall. Choreographed a one-glove dance routine to Billie Jean for my little sister’s girl scout troop. I believe his legacy will be his music, and not his vagina-nose freakshow phase. (oops was that a tiny snark? sorry).

Seymour Butts

posted June 26, 2009 at 12:16 pm

I came to a post by you about Michael Jackson from a link in another post by you titled “I Like Baby Butts And I Cannot Lie”. Ahem.

Jody

posted June 26, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Hollie

posted June 26, 2009 at 12:42 pm

No snarking here. Loved his music as a teen especially! It was one of my first real records, and yes I said record.

Birth_Lactation

posted June 26, 2009 at 2:38 pm

What a great tribute. I’m also glad he was part of my world….. Always made me want to dance also! He was a legacy and his sadness of later years should not be how we remember him. Thanks for this!

Jen

posted June 26, 2009 at 5:08 pm

I had a hard time explaining to someone that I am sad he passed away because it is as if a part of our childhood died.
Do I like what he became later in life….no. Were my walls as a pre-teen and teen covered with Michael Jackson, oh hell yes. Was he guilty of what he was accused? I think so. Will we ever know? No, that is between him and his maker.

Paula C

posted June 26, 2009 at 6:42 pm

CELEBRATION OF A LIFE, A LEGEND – The King Of Pop
Thank you for your post and like you no matter what was said about Michael Jackson I loved his music and love him for the music, artistry and dance moves. He is the moon walk guy, he is the guy that would and always will get the foot tapping and the dance floor moving. Man, Woman and Child around the world loved Michael Jackson.
He will be missed.

Laura

posted June 27, 2009 at 9:58 am

There aren’t words… What a star!

Jennifer

posted June 29, 2009 at 1:33 am

He will be missed dearly :o(

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Their Bad Mother. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Life As A Concious Mom Happy Reading!!!

posted 4:50:01pm Jul. 05, 2012 | read full post »

The Road To Heaven Is Paved With Maracas
Last weekend, I went to Mass for the first time in well over a decade. To say that it was a strange and disorienting experience would be to understate things dramatically. But it was also a deeply comforting and familiar experience. I know that that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but in my exp

posted 9:30:01am Mar. 09, 2011 | read full post »

Dear God (On The Catholic Church And Abuse And Evil And Crises Of Faith)
This weekend, I read an article in New York Times Magazine about the crisis surrounding the Catholic Church in Ireland as new, horrible, stories emerge about sexual abuse of children and efforts by the Church to cover up those stories. It was a teensy bit upsetting. So I started to write a post abou

posted 1:34:44pm Feb. 16, 2011 | read full post »

Buy Yourself Roses For Valentine's Day
You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. -- Buddha

posted 9:07:07am Feb. 10, 2011 | read full post »

There But For A Rocking Chair: On Love and Fear and Keeping Our Children Safe
Before Emilia was born, I fussed endlessly about babyproofing. Never mind that it would be months before she would even enter the world, let alone move around it and find its electrical outlets: I was convinced that when it came to babies, there was no such thing as too many precautions taken too so

posted 6:46:18pm Dec. 16, 2010 | read full post »