Their Bad Mother

Their Bad Mother

They Say It’s Your Birthday…

posted by Catherine Connors

It’s my birthday. It’s kind of a weird day for me, now, because it follows so closely upon the heels of my son’s birthday. Also, I’m old, and birthdays are a heck of a lot less fun when you’re old. You know, what with the notable lack of balloons and streamers and thickly frosted cakes and all.

But this morning my mom sent me something that brought me all the way back to my childhood, to the sweet, sweet joy of being young and carefree and adored by one’s mother. She sent me this. And I cried. Happy, happy, love-rich tears.

My birthday wish is that I grow to be one-tenth the mother she is, that I provide my own children with such happy memories, and that they love me as much as I love her.

babypics 019.jpgAnd I will wish it every year of my life.

bird

posted May 21, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Catherine–Your mother is definitely the coolest mom/grandmother ever! I’m in awe. Happy Birthday to you! It’s your day, enjoy every minute (celebrate all week, in fact–why should it be over in a day?). I wish you lots of joy this year. You are a welcome addition to this site.
–Bird

Loukia

posted May 21, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Happy Birthday to you! Hope you have a fabulous year! You have so much to be proud of.

amy @ bitchin' wives club

posted May 21, 2009 at 11:25 pm

That is fabulous. What a wonderful present. :)
Happy Birthday!

Michael Kress

posted May 22, 2009 at 11:45 am

Happy birthday! Many happy returns.
From all your friends at Beliefnet.

Mama G

posted May 22, 2009 at 4:07 pm

And in the spirit of the birthday post about your son you wrote a few days ago … five things I love about reading your blog:
1. You make me laugh
2. You make me ponder
3. You make me question
4. I love your writing style
5. I can relate!

michelle

posted May 22, 2009 at 11:08 pm

your mom seems awesome. i’m envious…my mom kinda sucks. but i’m trying hard with my daughter, and we’re not so bad together. happy birthday

Iris Alantiel

posted May 23, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Awwww . . . what a sweet birthday gift from Bad Grandma. Though I confess, I have to ask . . . putting your cat in a pillowcase and dunking it in the toilet????
I think, no matter how old anybody gets, they are entitled to fun birthdays, complete with balloons and streamers and frosty cakes.

Their Bad Mother

posted May 25, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Iris – I was washing the cat. It makes TOTAL sense.

Mary

posted June 4, 2009 at 3:11 pm

My b/day this May was the worst day of my life. My son and his wife have decided they are estranged from us – because after many months my husband and I decided we would not accept their controlling manner – I have cried for many a day in the last few months. Until they decided to do this we all were a happy family.
So enjoy your b/days – remember your mother’s b/day – and try, try not to ever put your mother (or father) in the sad place we are today. Fortunately we are old and hopefully it all won’t last a long, long time – and we have one another.

caramama

posted June 10, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Happy (belated) birthday!!!

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Their Bad Mother. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Life As A Concious Mom Happy Reading!!!

posted 4:50:01pm Jul. 05, 2012 | read full post »

The Road To Heaven Is Paved With Maracas
Last weekend, I went to Mass for the first time in well over a decade. To say that it was a strange and disorienting experience would be to understate things dramatically. But it was also a deeply comforting and familiar experience. I know that that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but in my exp

posted 9:30:01am Mar. 09, 2011 | read full post »

Dear God (On The Catholic Church And Abuse And Evil And Crises Of Faith)
This weekend, I read an article in New York Times Magazine about the crisis surrounding the Catholic Church in Ireland as new, horrible, stories emerge about sexual abuse of children and efforts by the Church to cover up those stories. It was a teensy bit upsetting. So I started to write a post abou

posted 1:34:44pm Feb. 16, 2011 | read full post »

Buy Yourself Roses For Valentine's Day
You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. -- Buddha

posted 9:07:07am Feb. 10, 2011 | read full post »

There But For A Rocking Chair: On Love and Fear and Keeping Our Children Safe
Before Emilia was born, I fussed endlessly about babyproofing. Never mind that it would be months before she would even enter the world, let alone move around it and find its electrical outlets: I was convinced that when it came to babies, there was no such thing as too many precautions taken too so

posted 6:46:18pm Dec. 16, 2010 | read full post »