Their Bad Mother

Their Bad Mother

5 Awesome Things About Being A Mom (To A Boy)

posted by Catherine Connors

I have a little girl. I adore my little girl. There are about a trillion things that I could say about how wonderful it is being mother to my girl. But today is the birthday – the first birthday – of my baby boy, and so today is devoted to the contemplation of his awesome. And, oh, there is much awesome.

Why just five things, when I could – obviously – name a billion? 1) Because, really, do you actually want to read a billion point-form notes on why I love being mother to my son? I thought not. 2) Because last month I launched a project with my friend David, the objective of which was to prompt mothers around the world to share with each other the things – the five things – that they love about being moms, and I’d kinda like to carry that a little further. So, herewith: five things that I love about being a mom to a boy. To my boy.

1) Chunky little biceps and teeny chubby boy-thighs. I don’t know that all baby boys are built the same way, but my baby boy? Is built like such a boy. He is boy all over, from his sturdy little shoulders to the proud curve of his wee chest right down to his tiny fat toes. I love it.

2) Baby boy belly. Maybe, again, this is just my boy, but it seems to me that baby boys, when they’re toddling upright, travel belly first. Which means that they are always in the line of fire for raspberry belly kisses.

3) Hoots and hollers. My little girl, when she was a baby, trilled and cooed and giggled, and it was the prettiest, most feminine sound I had ever heard. The boy? Hoots and yells and laughs from deep down in that fat little belly of his, and I defy anyone to not want to hoot and laugh right back with him.

4) Boy clothes. Sure, it was and is fun shopping for and dressing a little girl. But it is just so much simpler to deal with clothing for a boy. Also, navy and brown and khaki hide dirt really, really well.

5) The whole Mama’s boy thing. My daughter is and has always been fiercely independent. She loves me, but most of the time that love is, for her, very clearly distinguished from need. My little man, on the other hand, clings to me as though his very life depended on it. Which can be a little exhausting – and it could become a little awkward if it persists until, say, his college years – but for now? It’s awesome. It’s really awesome.

One of these days I’ll run down some of the reasons why I love being mom to my girl, but as I said, today is for my boy. And I do so love my boy.

february 09 momsummit etc 069.JPGHappy birthday, sweet guy.

(You can read more about the origin of The World According To Mom project here, and find the most recent update here. If you have a blog, consider joining in – our objective is to get moms from 80 countries participating – at last count there were nearly 300 posts from 44 countries –  but we want as many moms as possible from all over. And if you don’t have a blog – maybe leave a comment about the things you love most about being a mom, or a dad, to a girl or a boy or both or just in general. I’d love to hear it!)

Jacquie

posted May 19, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I love those fat little boy bellies, and when my boy – who is now 10 and built like a scarecrow – had one, our family joke was that he suffered from a condition known as “Dickydo”.
When you ask: “what is dickydo?” I reply:
“It’s when your stomach sticks out farther than your dicky do.”
We’re very mature.

Alyssa

posted May 19, 2009 at 11:57 pm

My little guy turned 1 last month…and I just can’t believe how fast a whole year has flown by. I smiled as I read this blog since I could have easily written the same words-I also have a 4 year old daughter. It’s been amazing to watch my guy grow from a tiny little 6 lb bit of nothing to a big, sturdy 23 lb B-O-Y!! He was born 3 weeks early (kept trying to come earlier than that, but we managed to hold him off!) and he’s been rearin’ to go ever since.

Maria

posted May 19, 2009 at 11:58 pm

He is just gorgeous.
I love being the mama of my two little boys too. Belly kisses are the best.

Lady M

posted May 20, 2009 at 12:42 am

What a cutie. I love being a mom to boys too. My one year old clings to my leg while I’m trying to get things ready in the kitchen, and even though it slows me down, I love it. I know he won’t be snuggly forever, so I’m going to enjoy it!

Rorys Mom

posted May 20, 2009 at 9:33 am

I completely agree with #5. My daughter was fiercely independent from the very beginning. Always happy whether I was carrying her or she was hanging out by herself on the floor. My son, the complete opposite. Sure you bemoan the lack of sleep and use of your arms, but secretly you smile for being needed so much by this little creature who will have nothing to do with anyone else but you. My son will be two next month and not much has changed.

jaelithe

posted May 21, 2009 at 12:39 am

Hah! I remember when you wrote about how Emilia acted like liked her father better, and I was all like, just WAIT until Jasper is a little older and you get to experience the Mama’s Boy thing.

Mama G

posted May 22, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Happy birhtday, little man!!

Laura

posted June 11, 2009 at 10:37 am

I love my two little mama’s boys too! It’s the best.

Agus Badri

posted November 10, 2009 at 1:18 am

I also have a baby, My baby is 2 years old, but he often allergic, if not wear silk, therefore I am very interested in performing a variety of ways to feel good my baby while she slept.

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Their Bad Mother. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Life As A Concious Mom Happy Reading!!!

posted 4:50:01pm Jul. 05, 2012 | read full post »

The Road To Heaven Is Paved With Maracas
Last weekend, I went to Mass for the first time in well over a decade. To say that it was a strange and disorienting experience would be to understate things dramatically. But it was also a deeply comforting and familiar experience. I know that that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but in my exp

posted 9:30:01am Mar. 09, 2011 | read full post »

Dear God (On The Catholic Church And Abuse And Evil And Crises Of Faith)
This weekend, I read an article in New York Times Magazine about the crisis surrounding the Catholic Church in Ireland as new, horrible, stories emerge about sexual abuse of children and efforts by the Church to cover up those stories. It was a teensy bit upsetting. So I started to write a post abou

posted 1:34:44pm Feb. 16, 2011 | read full post »

Buy Yourself Roses For Valentine's Day
You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. -- Buddha

posted 9:07:07am Feb. 10, 2011 | read full post »

There But For A Rocking Chair: On Love and Fear and Keeping Our Children Safe
Before Emilia was born, I fussed endlessly about babyproofing. Never mind that it would be months before she would even enter the world, let alone move around it and find its electrical outlets: I was convinced that when it came to babies, there was no such thing as too many precautions taken too so

posted 6:46:18pm Dec. 16, 2010 | read full post »