The Prophet of Pop

The Prophet of Pop

American Idol James Durbin Heads Home

posted by S. Russ

Tonight the number of Idol hopefuls dropped from 4 to 3, and the unfortunate soul to go home was James Durbin.  This was a shock to me, as I was sure that Haley was heading home tonight.  The list of unique voices left on the show has been dwindling since the exit of Paul McDonald, and with this exit Haley is the only one left who has something truly unique to offer.

James has been inspiring us at Beliefnet since his first performance, he has truly overcome great odds to get to this point on the show.  He hasn’t always been my favorite singer on the show, but his positive interviews and great charisma have always impressed me.  I will forever remember James as the first Idol to have a flaming piano on stage, and the Idol who got Zakk Wylde to perform with him.  His performance of “Heavy Metal” is still one of the highlights of the season, mainly because he completely ignored Jimmy Iovine and went with his heart.  James never played the Idol game, and I have to respect that.

This is an especially bitter loss for James, as the final 3 get to experience the traditional Idol homecoming fest, but personally I hope that James still gets a homecoming party.  He deserves it.

Related – American Idol: The Top 4 Perform Inspirational Songs

Follow the Prophet of Pop on Twitter and on Facebook!

Ron

posted May 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Well, James gone. I guess I will watch something else on TV. Don’t care about all the other a-holes.

Rita

posted May 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Agree with this post, Paul Mcdonald should have stayed much longer. James in my opinion should have won this thing. Out of all contestants this season he is absolutely the best. The only one who truly deserves the win.

Bev

posted May 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I WILL NEVER EVER WATCH IDOL AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I MEAN IT THIS TIME.

Vicki

posted May 12, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’m from the same area of the country as James, and my best friend worked with one of his family members and I can happily say, Santa Cruz is having a huge parade for him Saturday. I live in MO now, but sure wish I was going to be home for that! He is going to be more successful than any of the remaining three and won’t be under the “Idol contract”…I’m a proud James Durbin fan for life and a 53 year old grandma to boot!!! Love me some metal and adore James!! One word – Daughtry :)

Lynn Mosley

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

I hate to see them go…but it’s a must.
I was sure James would go, Heavy metal is
not everyone’s thing. And not for the Idol.
My favorite is Scotty.

Linda/RN

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:27 am

We are SOOO proud of you James! I want MY kids to grow up to be JUST LIKE YOU…. and as a family we will absolutely see your concerts and buy your recordings. We were really looking forward to you and Steven singing in that final round!

You know in your heart that your leaving the show was WRONG, just as we all know, but God has BIGGER plans for you my friend! HEAD UP and FULL SPEED AHEAD! Idol is done for the year for MY family…..

God bless! Linda/CMAS, BS, RN

sue schempp

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

I just can’t believe this happened, he is the best of them all, won’t be watching the rest of AI.

Julie

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

I think all the top 13 will have careers of some sort, but James will go far, look at Jennifer Hudson, Daughtry, all the ones who went home early and yet are so successful. Winning Idol doesn’t always mean you will be well known or remembered. Chris who? Oh yeah, the guy who was in the final two with ADAM LAMBERT. Nuff said!

Me

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:38 am

It was time for him to go. Heavy Metal is not for eveyone. Last 3 standing deserve to be there.

Tweety43

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:42 am

That was a stocker, last night on idol. James was the best one on American Idol hands down. But it probably was the best thing, cause now James can start on his career as a famous star. He has a great heart as well as talent. So don’t worry James the public is behind you 100%. You’re gift from god is you’re voice and believe me you’re going to make it. So take care and keep your head-up.

sadie

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:49 am

CAN’T BELIEVE HE IS GONE!!! bs,america wtf were u thinking???? u go james,u will make it…..can’t wait to hear u again!

Dawn

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:49 am

I believe James should have won it!!!! From the first time I heard him sing, I have been on his team. I think he stands for something, and is an inspiration to all the children out there who have a disability. My 10 year old son has bilateral hearing loss and will be affected by it forever. But James has shown him and the others that he can persue his dream of being a Rock Star. That’s what he wants to be, and have his own band….Best of luck James, God bless, and you will go farther than the others…You have more talent than the other 3 combined. My guess now goes to Lauren, but none of them brought the A Game like James, every time!!!I guess I will go back to watching Burn Notice. Love to James and family.

Joan Bartlett

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

American Idol has lost the greatest star of the season, James. I will miss him.

jan

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:54 am

WOW!!! what a shock…..I was just saying he was going to win the thing…now I am completely disappointed in the show…..first Casey now James…….dont really care anymore who wins …the best are already gone..guess my Monday and Tuesday nights are free now……athe rest are of course good but there just is no comparison…..KEEP THE FAITH CASEY AND JAMES you both have what it takes…..

cyndi

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:59 am

i hate to see james go he was the only reason i kept watching idol. the other 3 that are there should of been gone a long time ago what is america thinking there is no more talent on that show what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARTY

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm

This is why i dont like american idol. Everyone in that arena knows James blew Haley away. She has a bitch attitude and we can do better than her. I hope scotty or Lauren win it all, they are truely nice and very appreciative of everything they get. I think she is a spoiled bratty kid who thinks she deserves it. The way she acted on the stage the other night should have been enough.

The Prophet

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Vicki, that is great to hear about there being a parade for James! If you go to the parade let us know how it was!

Sure, rock isn’t for everyone, but neither is country! Two of the three left are going to be country artists, and they are both 16. While I think Scotty will have a great career, their success on the show says more about who actually votes than who is the best singer.

Haley is the wildcard now though. I think the James Durbin fans should rally around her because she has a great, unique voice and will also have more of a rock career. A Haley and Scotty finale would be much more interesting to watch than a Lauren and Scotty finale.

-The Prophet

Theresa C.

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I’m sorry to see how America can bew so misunderstanding and not see who had the real talent on TV through all of this James has done nothing but put his all into his singing …..It looks like things are really being rigged there is no reason for my watching American Idol anymore since they are doing it like this putting the wrong people up[ on stage as an American Idol who are not being consistant I’m hurt right along with James D. I pray he makes it with some music company God Bless James Durbin

Dena

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I thought American Idol was a competition based on singing talent? I believe it to be more of a popularity competition. The contestants still in high school have more of a following then the older contestants with much greater talent, But do to the fact of public voting the BEST went home! I think American Idol must figure out a different way of voting like maybe judges deciding the final five contestants. I believe when it get this close the public votes are not a fair way to judge talent. We need professional judging so the person deserving to win does! My family and I are done watching American Idol this season and are seriously debating even if we want to start watching next years competition. Maybe we get a little to emotional. I know it’s a T.V. show, But James really touched are hearts and deserved to win and all of america knows that is what should have happened. Good Luck to James in the future…..We have not seen the last of him and I will be the first to go out and buy his first music CD released!

Love Your Faithful Fans From Day One!
The Turners

Megan

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

My favorite is Scotty but James should have stayed and if he won I would be just as happy! Hailey should have went home! I sure hope she is next to go! Her voice would maybe sound good if she would sing a blues song or something else. She just annoyes me! James you were awesome! You will go far one day!

J.C.

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm

James is a good singer, BUT, I could bearly make out what he was singing about at times, Scotty’s The Man

Donna Bracy

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I have never been so emotionally investetd in American Idol as I am this year. James Durbin is a true entertainer. There have been many that can sing and sing well, but James, he was different. He entertained us and left us wanting more. I don’t think that can be said about any of the other contestants. I hope he is signed to a contract with someone because I would surely buy a ticket to see a James Durbin concert. Devastated that he is gone.

Bev Coffey

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm

James, you are my American Idol with a beautiful Family, who is very proud of you as I am. Many, many of your fans will continue to follow your future!!!! I am a Great Grandma and I love you!

Albert Bostwick

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm

What a shock…I was sure James would be in the finale..even though he is not my favorite. Haley should have been sent home..

Cheryl Holland

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/the_prophet_of_pop/2011/05/american-idol-james-durbin-heads-home.html#ixzz1MFaXIWux

Diana

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm

OH…BOOHOO! Everyone is blaming American Idol but it was the American voters that didn’t call to vote for James that are to blame. American Idol drags out the competition way too long and people lose interest and stop voting. The ones that are left are just as good as anyone else and they shouldn’t be made to feel as though they have robbed James of a career. We all need to give them their props also.
All of the contestents know going in that it can all end in a flash. Stop crying for James because he will go far even if just for the sympathy factor.

kara siddons

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

All the remaining 4 were awesome but I like to see my favorites go home due to the fact that they can get contracts before the 1 year is up the winner of american idol is tied into a idol contract for a year.

Stan the Man

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm

But the show IS to blame for the way the voting occurs!! It is completely geared at the teenie boopers. On what other show would it be okay for a 16 year old to be called “Scotty the Body” or for Steven Tyler to make googly eyes at Lauren Alaina? Someone should call Law & Order SVU and get them to do an American Idol episode where Stabler kicks Steven Tyler in the face and nocks out his botox!! It is almost all marketed it at teens so talented, older, gents like Casey and James end up getting the boot because all of the adults have started watching THE VOICE or reruns of Behind the Music.

Lynn Fontaine

posted May 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I loved James the first time I saw him. There is something special about him. He has a special talent. I hope he makes it even if he did not win Idol. He has a magic about him that is infectious. He never fails to put a smile on my face with his passion. Keep on reaching for your dream, James, you have so much talent. You deserve to be able to share your passion with the world. My prayers are with you!

jeannemarie

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I really believed it would get down to James and Hayley…they both are so down to earth, great artists..true people. the other two..they are not who I would consider Idols at all!!! James and Hayley deserve to be there. James will go far…he’s awesome.

SANDY

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

What a shock – James should have won this whole AI thing. He was the only one of the 4 left who was not in bottom. He has more talent and stage presence than all the others combined. As for me and my family we will never watch American Idol again, and that is saying a lot since we haven’t missed one season. I guarantee James will be the only one you will hear about in the future. Smile James, America loves you. I really felt Haley or Scotty should have gone home last night. America, you were wrong on this one, FOR SURE.

Phyllis

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

My thoughts only the one 3 that should of stayed our Lauren, Scotty and James. HAYey JUST showed her nasty side when the judges tryed to help her. Best of Luck to the last 2 not including Haley, sorry. I`ll say a prayer for their success. I`m also a G.Grandma.

Patricia Artison

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I believe James should have won this thang hands down. He really should have and is by far the most talented of them all in the top 11. But this might be the best thing for him not to be tied down by Adol contracts, he is already a star and someone has already seen that! But to be voted off, what a shocker and a waste. But it’s not over for James, he will sell more records than any of them, especially out of the three that’s left for sure. I like Haley, my votes will turn to her now. But what a disappointment to see James go! WOW!!

Steve

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Last night was a disappointment when they announced that James got the fewest amount of votes. I DON’T BELIEVE IT. He was never in the bottom 3 and got good reviews from the judges and the audience loved his performances as did millions of viewers. There is more to his leaving than meets the eye. The number of American Idol viewers will keep declining if the viewers lose faith in the way winners are being selected. Is it truely by people voting or is management rigging results, like the voting in Chicago.

skeeter

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I am 65 and not a rock fan, but I did love James as he was so sincere and talented. He was so entertaining. My prayers are that he will go very far in his career! James Durbin – you rock and you are awesome – don’t let anyone tell you different!! Love your little family.

Liz

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I think the show is fixed and I will never watch it again , I thought Scottie or the snot nose Haley should of went , not James he was the best and the most tallented on the show , makes me sick , I tried to call for over a hour and could not get threw

Liz

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm

One more thing James you dont need that show , go on Voices heard its better , u will get there my friend u have a great heart and a hell of a voice good luck and God be with u

The Prophet

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I’m a bit confused over this sudden hatred for Haley. Yeah, she got a little emotional Wednesday night, but I thought that Randy was going too far. There was a lot to be critical of in her performance, but what the judges criticized was silly. I for one enjoy it when the contestants are willing to defend themselves, and I bet reaction would be different if it had been Simon Cowell she was responding to.

Besides, didn’t James recently have a very similar bout with producer Jimmy Iovine over a song choice?

-The Prophet

angela

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I agree James shouldn’t of been kicked off last night.I was in shock. he was the best one..i’m sure there are big things ahead for him.It wont be the last we hear of him…good luck james…

Sally

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm

When are we going to learn – the public has no idea of “talent” – idol is a money making program run by money making idiots who plan from the beginning who will win this thing. contestants who don’t make the finals are the ones with the real talent and do well without idol and “WIN”. If I were a contestant on this stupid show I would hope to leave in fourth place. By the way, who has won this “title” and where are they now? Who has not won and where are they now?

Rosalie Triviz

posted May 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I agree with most no reason to continue to watch American Idol any longer. There had to be a mistake!

Raye

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I really believe James should have won this year, even though my favorites are Scotty and Lauren. Hailey, in my opinion, should have been gone a long time ago. She has a good voice, but her attitude leaves much to be desired. She reminds me of a child that has never been told no and sure doesn’t take criticism well. James has a bright future, regardless. He has an amazing talent and a good heart, he will do well.

The Prophet

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm

The most notable Idol winners are Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson, both of which are legit superstars. Jordin Sparks has also put together a solid career, if still a bit under the radar.

Those who didn’t win but have put together outstanding careers include Jennifer Hudson, Daughtry, Clay Aiken, and even Kelly Pickler. Adam Lambert is getting there. I wouldn’t say that any of them have matched the success of Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson though. So if you can win and put out a dynamite album then you are on your way to superstardom. If you don’t then you’ll at least have a nice career but not what Idol promises. People rag on Reuben Studdard and Fantasia, but both have found solid success in the R&B world that most Idol fans don’t pay attention to.

A lot of the past winner’s struggles have come from contractual issues, but who knows that may change this year with a new record company at the helm.

-The Prophet

cheryl

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I just want to say that I think that James should have been kept and Haley go.He never showed and attitude as did Haly and I appreciated all that he was given when she had an attitiede with the judges.
He will make a good life with the voice that he has and
the style of music that he sincgs

Rock on James Rock on

Liza

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I, too, really believe Halley should ogf went home. I did’t think James would of won or that he was my favorite, but I did think he would of made the top 3. But I though that Casey should of went way before Paul. Even Jacob should of. Paul was good. But I say Scottie and Lauren is going to be the top 2.

BETHANIE EDWARDS

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

WTH THATS A SHAME I DONT LIKE ROCK AND THAT MAN IS GREAT , I WOULD OF WATCHED HIM

Betty

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

There are people like Constantine and others who are broadway personnel, tony,grammy, and academy award winners who was on Idol but have superceded what Idols had to offer. Are they going straight to country in the USA? Lauren would probably do well in Country Music. Haley (may not remember Janice Joplin & I know she isn’t old enough to) will probably get by on that raspy voice and do some music.Scott on the other hand???? Some should have gone straight to the soap operas and others should have gone to broadway (Niema)and then there are those that should have gone to college or back to work.

Robin

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I want to say that James should’ve won.After all he got standing ovations for both songs.The judges also applauded for him at the end and Jennifer was crying.I think Scotty should be second place.I believe Haley should’ve went home cause she messed up on one song.Look at the way she acted when they criticized her,very mad.Also I think Lauren should’ve went home before Casey and also the way she acted in the bottom two.She acts very spoiled.I don’t really want to watch it any more cause it might be rigged.

Annette Lilley

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I truly thought James would be the next American Idol. I’ve watched American Idol from it’s beginning and this is the first time I have voted. I simply can’t believe the screeching Haley is still there. She is AWFUL! The way James sings with his full heart is absolutely amazing. I still can’t believe Jacob and James were sent home before Haley. I hope she goes next.

Sharron

posted May 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm

WOW! Whoever said that Heavy Metal is not for everyone, well James Durbin not only sings heavy metal, he sing it all! HELLO!! Have you been watching American Idol? He can sing ANYTHING and play several instruments, very talented. He should have won and SHAME ON YOU America for not voting for him. He was one of the BEST American Idol has ever had on the show! BUT, he will have and does have a career. He’s too good America! I agree Haley is alright, but she should have gone. James & the other two left are way much better than Haley. I am saddened by this and still in shock! I will NOT be voting for Haley!! I do not like heavy metal that much, YET I LOVED James for his spirit, his talent and the fact that he sings it all!! James, you go guy! You will be missed by all, yet we will see your name in lights! You need to send us concert tickets to one of your first! We supported you from the start!

Tammy Purvis

posted May 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

james should have won american idol. he is great and i believe that a producer will sign him on. james is great. haley should have been sent home. i a so made right now.

ALBERTA DUCK

posted May 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm

JAMES,
I AM SO SORRY THIS HAPPENED TO YOU LAST NIGHT! BUT SOMEONE HAS GREAT PLANS FOR YOUR FUTURE! YOU ARE A GREAT SINGER NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF SONG YOU SING. I REALLY THOUGHT THAT HALEY WOULD GO LAST LAST , BUT YOU SEE WE NEVER KNOW! I LOVE ALL OF YOU , SCOTTY AND LAUREN ARE SO GOOD! NOW THE BATTLE REALLY BEGINS FOR THEM!
ENJOY YOUR HOMECOMING AND KEEP BUSY WITH YOUR CAREER, YOUR YOUNG AND YOU WILL DEFINATELY GO MANY PLACES AND REACH THE TOP! YOU ALL ARE WINNERS TO MAKE IT THAT FAR IN THE RUNNING! TAKE CARE AND ENJOY YOUR LITTLE BOY!

Tina Potter

posted May 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Trust the Lord and lean NOT TO YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. It always is darker before the Dawn. You are just paying your dues. Keep true to your self and be content with just who you are-no more, no less. You are a WINNER. Play it forward! Go James. Keep looking up.

frank

posted May 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm

American Idol Voters are a big disappointment.
We lost the true Winner. Good Luck James!

pat papes

posted May 13, 2011 at 4:54 pm

i read all of the comments and some are good ,but face it people if u dont vote for your favorite they may go home! it was a shock to me also james is good he will go on to do big things!! i like scotty best but hope in a way he doesnt win!! he will be a bright star in nashville!!!

Gina

posted May 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I have to agree, unlike you, James has been my favorite singer since the beginning. He should definitely be in the top 3. He should have been 2011 American Idol, with that being said as history has it does anyone remember someone by the name of DAUGHTRY, thats right, he was voted off and look what became of him…… I think the same great future is in store for James. I hope so anyway, because he and his little family deserves it…….

Janice

posted May 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

James had my heart from the start. He is so talented. Heavy Medal I know is not that popular, but he proved that he could sing anything. The others are good, Scotty, Lauren, but Haley, something about her, she was not that good, and it should of been her going home last night. I am sure that James will get his chance that he deserves, one window closes, and another door opens up, and is usually better. So Go James “you can do it”…..you have beautiful family. I am a Great Gramma, go James Love You.

Mercedes

posted May 13, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I can’t stand HALEY! She’s the type to sleep her way to the top. She’s playing Steven Tyler like a fiddle, she’s practically seducing him on T.V.

James is obviously the BEST of group , he should be winner and I believe he will go on to be a great performer may God Bless Him!!!!

Paula

posted May 13, 2011 at 6:07 pm

So sad to see James gone. I can’t bring myself to watch the rest of the season. I still feel that the show is fixed! We all know that James has a bigger fan base than Scott, Hailey or Lauren. Yes, the three others were well liked, but not as much as James. IT’S FIXED, I JUST KNOW IT. Heck, now James can keep all the proceeds from a new contract for himself. He’ll be just as big as Chris Daughtry – maybe even better. I can relate to James, as I was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome at age 9 but somehow outgrew it by my early 20′s. I’m still proud of you James. You were IT in my opinion!

Stan the Man

posted May 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Haley is seducing Steven Tyler?? Steven has eyes for Lauren and every other girl on the show (even Lady Gaga!!!). Besides, he doesn’t even vote!!!!

barbara pears

posted May 13, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I agree with all of you about halley she should of been sent home I think it should of been between scotty, james and casey and pia, America voted for the favorite people now the singers I think that most of them will go on to get A singing contract, and your right halley was a B she did not no how to take critziam good luck to all thats left hope the right one wins.

The Prophet

posted May 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Everyone please dial back the Haley character assassination, all we know about her is what you see on television and her image, which is admittedly a bit edgy, is created by stylists. Lauren’s outfits are not exactly modest either, that is just part of Idol now.

I agree that it was a surprise she wasn’t voted off, but that is no need to say nasty things about someone that you will never meet. Besides, she wasn’t the one who decided James would be sent home.

-The Prophet

Debbie Snodgrass

posted May 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm

James it saddens me that you will not continue on with AI. But then I am also happy for you. Now you will get to do it your way the James Durbin way. You are going to make it big, will be waiting in line to buy your 1st cd and 1st ticket to your concert. You have so much talent. I am a 52 year old grandmother and I love rock and heavy metal. My grandchildren adore you, too. God Bless you and your beautiful family.

BEVERLY

posted May 13, 2011 at 9:43 pm

JAMES KEEP GOING ON WITH UR MUSIC HALEY WAS MY PICK TO LEAVE I SEEN U IN FINAL TWO GOOD LUCK

rosella30

posted May 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm

for us here in taiwan James is the Best!!! we never watched American idol at all but since James came to the scene we are all hooked up watching him as if we dont care whats goin on around us except our eyes and ears are hooked w/Jmes…we are all pissed that James got eliminated all the best ones got eliminated so who will believe American Idol anymore?????? the only reason why we watched idol is because of James and now hes gone NO REASON TO WATCH IDOL!!!!

rhonda

posted May 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm

i hated to see him go. he was so sweet and also he reminds me of myself. i have some of the same problems he does. i truely wanted him to be the runner up or to have won it. him or scotty were the two i was hopeing would won. but he will also go on to bigger and better things in life. my best wishes to him and his family. i love his voice and his talent for what he sings and how he goes on with it in his shows.

Leola Downer

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:08 pm

James was by far the best, most versatile talent this season if not the best ever. For those of you who think he’s just heavy metal, were you not watching his performances with the group, including the one with Scotty doing his “country” thing last night? He outdid Scotty even in that genre. Try putting any of the rest through random music they challenge them with & they won’t even come close! The true Idol is gone, but he will do better than any of the poor losers left behind who seem to be stuck to one type of music. Sorry, Scotty has a deep bass voice, but I’ve heard that dozens of times in high school choirs. The real loss is ours, not being able to see the best performer again. For me, Idol is over for this season! Glad to hear that his home town is celebrating his homecoming. He will do better without their contract! Any record producer will be lucky to snap him up for a #1 hit album!!!

Sandygirl

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I have to say, I will be waiting in line for James Durbin’s first concert & watching for his first #1 album. Any record label will be lucky to get a contract signed with him if they haven’t already. The rest group should have (not should of…sorry my grammar teacher coming out in me!) gone home, but he’s the lucky one not to be bound by AI’s contract! It’s our loss for not being able to see him perform every week. Glad I saved some of it on DVR!!!

betty

posted May 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm

TO START WITH THE PEOPLE VOTED NOT THE SHOW,

Renee

posted May 14, 2011 at 7:24 am

America do you believe that James should have been let go of this week. I think we need to voice our opinion to Idol. He is one of the hottest heavy metal rockers that we have seen in a long time. I am shocked to see that he is off the show. I really am beginning to believe that Idol is fixed. I have seen so many of their best singer leave, like Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson and look at them now. My regrets go out to his family because they really could have use the money but this is not the end for James. He will be big. My next pick to win is Scotty. He is a natural and a wonderful country and western singer. If Haley wins I will be upset. She screams rather than sings and definitely does not deserve to win. America wake up and start voting. Do not let Haley win.

giggi

posted May 14, 2011 at 8:07 am

Sorry that James didn’t make it. Really liked him!
and I’m 61 years old. Remember, you hear and see a
lot more out of the ones who don’t make it to the top,
but have the most potential. We will be seeing and
hearing a lot from James Durbin, so don’t despair.
God has plenty in store for him, I’m sure or he wouldn’t
have gone this far. Hope his parade is awesome. He is a
genuine STAR.

Cahow

posted May 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

Oh, Good Grief, People!!!! Seriously? Did ALL of you just wake up from a coma and discover a “new” show called American Idol?!?

It’s in it’s TENTH YEAR. Hundreds of thousands of people try out for it. A Top 10 (or 11) are chosen. ONE PERSON WINS THE TITLE…EVER!!! And, if you’ve been a fan at any point in the past decade, you KNOW that the also-rans end up being more famous, with a BIGGER fan base than the actual certified “winner”, in almost all cases! Think Daughtry, Hudson, Aiken, Lambert…now think “Where in the heck are: Studdard, DeWyze, Hicks, Sparks, and Cook????” That should say enough, right there.

Winning American Idol is like graduating at the top of your class in Uni: Super! You got a degree…NOW…what in the heck are you gonna do with it?????? If y’all are missing James so much, quit moaning about it and save up your McDonald’s money and $BUY$ his 1st CD or download the album. Money IS your “vote” on whether or not a musician stays at the top or sinks to the bottom. I learned that when my fan favourite, Jen Hudson, was kicked to the curb. I’ve continued to do that with each of my fave’s. Geez, even the World phenom, Susan Boyle, didn’t win her contest and she went on to global CD sales!

So, quit wasting your time moaning about the “Tweens, Fraus, and Sparkle Cows” who robbed you/us of James/Pia/ and others and be glad that there are shows like Idol and The Voice who give these kids a chance to shine in a national spotlight, so that their fans can support them through sales and concert tours. ‘Nuff said.

Your Name

posted May 14, 2011 at 11:03 am

What a tearful moments after they announced that james out from the top 3! Oh my god!im speechless! I just cant belilev the he lost in the this computation! He is a great performer! A great singer! Watch up america! I cant understand the computation!james dont lost hope! We know that you are more than them! We are your friends believ that you are popular among all contestants! Only the jugdes lost u but your name will stay that you are the american idol!the metal rock singer of the season!more power james@God bless

embee

posted May 14, 2011 at 11:47 am

I DO NOT BELIEVE THE RESULTS!! THEY CONFUSED THE PUBLIC..RANDY DISSED HALEY TO THE TUNE OF HURTING JAMES!! THIS IS MESSED UP…I’M DONE WITH IDOL..3 YRS IN A TOW OF BULL POO!!

lee

posted May 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm

don’t even want to watch the rest of idol..since James won’t be there

linda

posted May 14, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I picked James from the start. He was the only one who put so much effort into every performance. He was in my opinion the best ever and he had a beautiful voice. When Saren Palin’s daughter was on dancing with the stars. She was really bad. Her scores from the judges were the worst, but the public kept voting her in over dancers who had some powerful performances. After professionals threatened to walk, she finally lost. Later I heard some people had a way of making hundreds of calls. I tried the internet, and my phone constantly the whole time and I could never get through for James. I beleive our smart yong people today can rig the votes. Many of Idols great winners have been flops and it easy to see why. Last year was a clear example.
James go get em! I love you!

Cathy P

posted May 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Remember Taylor Hicks? He may have won the show. But Daughtry is the one who made it even though he didn’t win on American Idol. I have no doubt that James Durbin will have that same kind of chance.

Karleen

posted May 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm

What happened?? I was certain that James Durbin was going to be the American Idol this season. This young man not only sings so wonderfully but he has the talent to set up his songs with props and pyro’s to please any audience. He has done an amazing job to overcome his issues. He so obviously loves his wife and child and isn’t afraid to express his emotions. This is one of the reasons his singing is so great….IT COMES FROM HIS HEART!!! I am very impressed with him not only as a singer but as a human being. I believe James will get picked up by a producer and will be a big star in our future.

Sandra

posted May 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm

James was my pick from the beginning. I was really shocked to see him sent home. AI, in my opinion just doesn’t want a metal singer. They seem to prefer somone who is more neutral. James, however, sings anything and with such talent he will go far. I’m not into metal however James makes it sound so good and our eyes were fixated on him each time to see what he would sing and do next with his performance. AI should bring him back because most people feel that this was a tragic mistake and that AI is responsible. Everyone who loves James should comoplain to AI and STOP watching the show for the rest of the season. Maybe this will wake them up!!!!!!!! Just angry and fed up with AI

Pingback: Scotty Mcreery Throws A Fake First Pitch - The Prophet of Pop

christina

posted May 15, 2011 at 2:54 am

Steven Tyler was jealous of James. Didn’t anyone notice the last weeks Tyler was not excited for James. Tyler’s favorite is Lauren. He flirts with her and scopes her from top to bottom. Anyone noticed him licking his lips after he finished complimenting her? I smell a rat with the voting.

Becki

posted May 15, 2011 at 5:09 am

I was truely so upset that James didn’t get enough votes. I thought personally he was the best one on that stage. Santa Cruz cancelled his parade when they found out in was voted off. At least that’s what I heard! He was truely a good singer! Good Luck James too bad the rest of America didn’t see that in you! You bought me to tears every week. Good tears that is!

Trish

posted May 15, 2011 at 6:39 am

So sorry to see you go James. A man like you with a great voice and a sincere and big heart is going to make it far. You don’t need to win to
go far with your career even though you and so many of us wanted you to win.
You have made your rock music enjoyable to everyone. Every type of music you
sang was special and uniqe. Keep your chin up you have so many supporters. We should be careful not to put down the other contestants. Although we are
all only human.

Mike

posted May 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I have never bought an American Idol’s album before. James’s album will be the first.

Sorry to see you go James. You should have won.

Rhonda Simpson

posted May 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Can’t wait to see you in Phx. Az James man you are the best!! God has plans for you. this is just the beginning!!! God Bless you and your family!

Deb

posted May 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I live in Santa Cruz and attended “Durbin Day” with the other 30,000+ who showed up to cheer him on and let ‘em know that in our hearts he IS the American Idol of the season. We are all so happy that Fox chose to release him to come home, so that his community could share their pride in his effort and success! Instead of keys to the city, the mayor gave him a surfboard and wetsuit. The day was sunny, with the Monterey Bay as his back drop as he sang on the beach boardwalk. And what class. He was humble, full of gratitude, humor, and kindness. He took his time with fans and was a pleasure to support. Rock on, James.

sandy

posted May 17, 2011 at 7:57 am

I think Haley should of went home. James should have won it all, so now I think Laren should win it all. She is alot better than Haley. America needs to learn how to vote thats all I can say. Pia should have never been sent home. I think the judges need to change things and have a part in who should go home.

debbie lang

posted May 21, 2011 at 11:43 am

I am also a great grammy and I cried when they sent James home. I tried for 2 hours to get through to James’ # and never got through! How did everyone else get more votes? It WAS rigged I tried to get through to the other contestants and got through immediately. How many other people out there couldn’t get through to James #? They would just give up. I think the Fox network and Idol Heads wanted to make this a contraversial show because of the new judges and they really rigged it. I think there should be an investigation into this. It would not be the first time something very VERY WRONG happened on game shows or reality TV. It is truly sad. James is better off because he has an awesome career ahead of him. He was NEVER EVEN in the BOTTOM THREE? Come on what is really up here? NOT GOOD! YOU GO JAMES!!!!!!!! God Bless You

Taylor

posted May 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm

“Oh would all of you take a chill pill!” So James was allot of your favorite…I always hate to see them leave towards the end…you can’t help but feel bad for them, but like so many have said…”He is going to have a great career and why…”BECAUSE OF AMERICAN IDOL!” How else do you think he was going to have the opportunity he is going to get…by just singing to some locals and “hopefully” be “discovered” by someone? He was given a great thing in life…to let America get to know him, hear him and fall in love with him…so quite ranking on Idol,,,its a shame anyone has to go home…but there is always someone who has to leave…yes, it might be your favorite…but those others have every right to be there…they were voted on the most…and in the end, that is what Idol wants, after all, there favorite have been voted off before also…”But, the favorite is left standing for what reason? BECAUSE THEY WILL BUY THERE ALBUMS AND CONCERT TICKETS!” Do you people really think that they don’t know what they’re doing by having the show this way? Think about it…If you don’t like it…then lets see you do better!!