Text Messages

Text Messages

Christian reactions to Obama’s victory

posted by Patton Dodd

From status updates on my Facebook profile, a bird’s eye view of Christian responses last night. All names have been replaced with “Sally.”

Sally is no longer proud to be an American.
Sally loves America.
Sally is sad that America is incredibly naive.

Sally loves saying President-elect Barack Obama.

Sally says THIS IS A SAD DAY. WE NEED PRAYER MORE THAN EVER.
Sally says “Behold, God has done a new thing. He deserves all the glory and honor for our president-elect Barack Obama.”

Sally is disappointed, but knows God is in control.

Sally is happy that a new era in America has begun, and I’m hopeful that we will indeed come together as one nation. Yes, we can.

Sally reminds her republican friends that now is our time to be humble, and to remember that God has the reigns, not us.
Sally congratulates President Elect Obama and is hoping he doesn’t keep his promise in passing the “freedom of choice” act.

Sally is cautiously optimistic.

Sally is thinking some prayer and fasting for our nation is in order.
Sally told you that hope does not disappoint.

Sally is disappointed.

Sally just popped the champagne.

Sally is out of her mind right now. God is so incredible. All the glory goes to Him.

bob c

posted November 5, 2008 at 9:47 am

reading these (great idea, btw) I had a song by Derek Webb flow thru my soul:
i have long pursued her
as a harlot and a whore
but she will feast upon me
she will drink and thirst no more
Sally is a bride, a harlot, a whore
I love Sally – I hurt Sally – if I could, I would leave Sally
From a musty old version of the BCP:
This holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence, and first miracle that he wrought, in Cana of Galilee; and is commended in holy Scripture to be honourable among all men: and therefore is not by any to be entered upon, nor taken In hand, unadvisedly, lightly, or wantonly; but reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly, and in the fear of God; duly considering the causes for which Matrimony was ordained.
Matrimony was ordained for the hallowing of the union betwixt man and woman; for the procreation of children to be brought up in the fear and nurture of the Lord; and for the mutual society, help, and comfort, that the one ought to have of the other, in both prosperity and adversity.
Into which holy estate these two persons present come now to be joined. Therefore if any man can show any just cause, why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold his peace.

Your Name

posted November 5, 2008 at 10:25 am

This is a very fine article. It reminds me of Obama asking us to pray for him when he assumes his duties as President. It took guts on his part and I give him much credit. I will try to pray for him daily.

Sally (Not)

posted November 5, 2008 at 10:37 am

I am so sad inside. I was awake until after 1:30am watching the results, and hearing both the speeches of defeat and acceptance. I saw the faces of jubilation and I wonder how many of them really understand the impact of this man’s election. I cannot believe that Christians would vote for a person whose platform and voting history shows exactly how he feels about the most Biblical issues.
I am an African American female, and though I am indeed living in an historic time, and in a selfish way, I am proud to see another African American person elected to such a high office, but I wish I could really enjoy this victory. I cannot. I am not old enough to have been a part of the history of racism and segregation that so many of my people have faced, and I guess it is a moment of pride for some to see that we’ve “come so far”. The story of the 106 year old woman is indeed moving, and to hear what she and others have gone through is indeed heart wrenching. I applaud the men and women of my race who have gone through so much to bring forth such a time in history, truly I am grateful, but we have also been the target of lynching, racism, and other dispicable acts that should not be done to ANY human being regardless of their color. Our babies have been sold into slavery and treated so horribly by others, why must we now do to our unborn the things that will become law shortly?
Mr. Obama stands for things that are completely unbiblical. I have a young daughter and I am so concerned about what the future holds for her and other young girls. I also have sons and I have taught them the ways of Godliness, but they are all under the teenage years, and two of them are being homeschooled. What will this mean for our children when we try to teach them the right way, and they are told that Biblical ways are wrong.
Right now I am being thought of as being a member of a “cult” because of my stand for righteousness, and that is by some family members that are born again Christians. They are worried about me. I am being told to “pray”, “this is an historic moment and you’re a part of it”. Yes, I will pray, and yes, I did pray long before the elections, but I prayed with the understanding of what was and is at stake, not to be a part of “Black History”.
My question to Christians who voted for Obama, knowing what he stood for, is WHY did you vote for him, knowing what he stands for? Was it ignorance or were you thinking that it was all just media “Bias”?
Sally

Caren

posted November 5, 2008 at 10:39 am

Patton,
Love this post for its simplicity and insight into the diversity, hope and concern that identifies America. Thanks!

Pastor younce

posted November 5, 2008 at 11:08 am

Isaiah 30:8-14 Obama,speaks unto us smooth things. vs.12 Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel,Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness,and stay thereon vs 13 Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall,swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant.

Holly

posted November 5, 2008 at 11:11 am

What a fascinating snapshot–we are all Sally now.

True...

posted November 5, 2008 at 11:43 am

To Sally (Not)
I’m with you. My heart aches.
But, as of right now, I’m believing this is OF God, as it has to be.
Let’s shore up our faith and trust in Him…and know that more will be called of us. We all have a purpose. Let’s keep our ears tuned to what He has to say.

Interesting

posted November 5, 2008 at 11:48 am

Interesting, I am a born again, and I side with you. I fully believe that as a Christian, our allegiance is with MCcain.

Paul Berry

posted November 5, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Very nicely done Patton. Here are a few Christians from my friend list:
Sally was in Grant Park last night. (Yes we can).
Sally has much hope for the history that was made last night.
Sally thinks John McCain is a class act.
Sally is loading his guns and getting ready for the tribulation.
Sally is feeling sick in stomach.
Sally is jumping up and down for President Obama.
Sally is a conservative ready to join the fight for change!! Welcome President Obama!
I have to say, I’m especially surprised by the comment that Sally is no longer proud to be an American. I suppose I should not be, given that the same sentiment has been directed toward President Bush. It just seems like throwing away your patriotism two months before inauguration is a little shallow.

Mike Collins

posted November 5, 2008 at 12:29 pm

last night mine said. Mike is =)

Joe the idiot

posted November 5, 2008 at 12:38 pm

I have to say I am disturbed with some peoples reaction to Obama’s victory. I thought Christians are supposed to be compassionate, forgiving, TOLERANT. Obama won this election because Sen McCain did nothing on his campaign but talk about Obama. I read in the Christian Coalition site that people thought McCain could have won if he would have talked more about Obama’s position on abortion and gay marriage.
I really think people already knew his position and didnt care. I think with all horrors going on in the middle east and our economy troubles far outweigh whose getting married !!?? Theres a reason why Church and State are seperate. I pray for all our men and women in govt and overseas that people can come together regardless of what god they pray to or what color there skin is. And whether you like it or not , Nov 4 was a big part of black history and EVERYONE should be proud of that.

Obama

posted November 5, 2008 at 12:50 pm

To most of the Sallies, not all, but most, the Catholic faith(the church to which JFK belonged and was so horribly criticised for when elected)there is a unique concept called the confessional. This is where a Catholic goes and acknowledges one’s sins and gains forgiveness from God via absolution from the priest. I think it’s a good place for any “so-called” Christians to try out after they realize that their vitriolic “clap-trap” about President-Elect Obama is just that “clap-trap.” And, may God have mercy on your pitiful, mean lives.

HollyJo

posted November 5, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Read what Jesus said in Matthew about false prophets and knowing them by thier fruit.

Jeremiah

posted November 5, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Yes, I saw these sorts of comments and statuses as well. After a very intense campaign trail to this election, I can understand it. It is very difficult to switch gears and put your support behind the President Elect. This is especially true when it wasn’t so much about supporting your candidate, but about hating the other one.
However, Obama’s words last night were very reassuring. (at least to me) We are the United States. We must remember that and put aside our disagreements and join each other for the common good. Maybe I am idealistic, but our society needs some idealistic inspiration.
I am still nervous about the challenges that await us, but I am also eager to see what we can accomplish.
Thanks Patton-

praying

posted November 5, 2008 at 1:42 pm

How about this one;
Sally is sure the judgement of GOD will be falling on our country!
I am angered and disappointed. How can anyone vote for someone primarily for the color of their skin? When alot of African-Americans were asked what issues appealed to them and motivated them to vote for Obama they replied “I don’t know”. When many others,regardless of race,gender or age, were asked the same question, they replied that it would be “cool” to vote in the first black president. I don’t pretend to know all of the facts, but here are a few things that I do know:
Obama voted four times against a bill that would allow medical help for babies that survived abortion.
Obama is pro-abortion, even partial birth abortion.He has even stated that if one of his daughters were to become pregnant, he wouldn’t oppose her desire for an abortion, he’d even advise it!
Obama is for gay marriage! This may not bother some people, but let me tell you about something that has happened in Massachusetts.
Gay marriage is now legal there. They even go so far as to send young children(k-5) home from their first day of school with what they refer to as a “diversity backpack” which includes books about gay marriage and tolerance. When one parent tried to fight it, he was arrested and forced to spend the night in jail! He has spent thousands of dollars in legal fees and was later told by the supreme court that the civil rights of homosexuals trumped parental rights and religious liberties! That it was a law and there was nothing he could do about it! Now that Obama is president, it won’t be long before those “laws” are introduced in all of our states and schools. Does anyone remember what happened to Sodom an Gomorrah for that very reason?
Obama desires to disarm America! It might not be such a bad idea if he was aiming it towards the criminals not law-abiding citizens. He also opposes the idea of self-defense. That means if someone breaks into our homes we can’t even hit them over the head with a frying pan without the threat of being arrested ourselves! May I also remind you that his running mate Joe Biden wrote the Brady Bill!
And what about his terrorist connections? We are in Iraq fighting muslims and we elected one as our President!
I am not a racists. I believe a person’s character and moral standing need to be strongly considered when electing anyone for any office. If Obama had been a strong christian man with convictions and christian values, I’d have voted for him, regardless of his race.
We as men and women in Christ, need to be in constant prayer for our nation and our men in women fighting in Iraq who I’m afraid will be put at greater risk now.
We also need to pray for those who call themselves christians and yet, voted for a man who believes in killing unborn babies(as followers in Christ we should hold true to the belief that life begins at conception) and also supports same sex marriage(need I remind you of Sodom and Gomorrah).
Some may be offended at what I’m saying, but I will not apologize for it! When Jesus spoke to the masses, he spoke in truth and righteousness. He didn’t concern himself with the opions of others.
With all that said I believe God has a reason for this.He has ultimate control and even though I’m having a hard time understanding it, I know that I can’t understand all God’s ways.He says in his word “for my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways….As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9.

Jamey

posted November 5, 2008 at 3:17 pm

First, congratulations to Obama and his supporters. I do hope that he becomes a good president. You win.
However, every supporter of Obama now needs to accept responsibility for his fruit going forward. Namely, the number of abortions, not just under his administration, but for as long as any justice he appoints is still on the bench.
All of the rest, I can accept as opinion. More taxes, less taxes, more welfare, less welfare. I do have opinions, but can accept them as that. I can even put homosexual marriage, freedom of speech, and disarmanent into the opinion category. Fine. Another topic.
But the blood of 50 million cry out for justice. They have been ignored, and that number will now increase dramatically. As Ezekial says – we have become a stench to the nations around us because of it. Now it will get worse. Be ready to say ‘It *is* my fault’ when the other shoe of abortion drops – on all of us.
It is already on its way down. 15% of the people that should be here sharing this life, this elecetion, this ecomony and the next one, etc are gone. For every 100 people you know, there are 15 who have been killed and are missing. At work, at school, in Church, in your neighborhood. In our families. There are 15% fewer people on this website, there are 15% fewer people playing with your kids. Why are there not enough people to pay for the next generation of Social Security? They are dead. That’s why the numbers don’t add up.
What if there were 50 million more people paying taxes, giving to charity, providing jobs for those in need. Like the rabbits being snared for food in Watership Down, they can’t even talk about the reality, they just accept that it is going on to someone else somewhere else. And are glad it wasn’t them this time.
But we don’t see it or talk about it. It is not an *issue* in a vaccum. Not only is it a horrendous practice, the practical fallout is evidence of its evil. Every day another 9/11 is happening. Now it is guaranteed to continue. And our consciences seered that much deeper. When you meet your maker, will you be able to look him in the eye and say ‘when did I see somone thirsty and not give them a drink’. You did it at the polls yesterday. Today, another 3,000+ babies needed a drink of water and were refused. They got the promise of another 3,000 tomorrow and for the forseable future.
And you knew it when you went to the polls. When abortion or its chemical equivalent takes 4,000 next year and 5,000 the year after, be ready to accept the weight of your vote.
So, no more names about mean and unforgiving. Just stand up and take responsibility for the death that is piling up at our feet and talk about who is mean, the one who say’s NO MORE or the one who killed the baby who was to have been my friend, my co-worker, my classmate, my relative, my client, my boss,… don’t say ‘let their blood be on us and on our children’, that one was tried already.

Jane

posted November 5, 2008 at 5:04 pm

It is a sad day in America today because we have lowered our standards to the point where we, so called Christians have elected a man who without any apologies or remorse supports legislations that support the killing of unborn babies, gay marriage, and his policies about the security of this beloved country of ours is questionable.
For any Christian who voted Obama there is a day when you will answer to God, becuase you know the truth and God’s standards but you chose to ignore it.
My heart is heavy today, I am sad,confused, but my hope is in God who is still in control and loves this great nation. I do not understand why God allowed this to happen, but like His word says “My ways are not your ways” and we must submit to His will.
We must pray like we have never prayed before; without ceasing for the glory of God in this country. We must also pray for Obama and the other leaders because this is God’s command to us His children by His divine grace only.
God bless you and God bless America always.

sally

posted November 5, 2008 at 6:45 pm

for the love of rational thinking….there is no need to fear President Elect Obama…
the days of god, guns and glory proved if nothing else that it divided america…
here is a man who wants to unite us…i am sure god would stand by that thinking and applaud it….
and keep your rosaries off my uterus…

Jamey

posted November 5, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Just rhetoric Sally, just rhetoric and slogan … let’s talk about being united when babies are being killed. irrataional.
Slavery was divisive. If nobody stood up, and died for slavery, because it was was ‘divisive’, we would still have slavery. We would be united slaveholders. God, guns, and glory made Obama a free man that could run for president in this country. That division of those fighting for what was right with the cost of their very lives is the very reason Obama is where he is. Your thoughts are irrational
Unite us for what? You are calling for unity around death. There have been plenty of leaders who have united in the past – with horrific results and you know the names – God (G) didn’t applaud them. He doesn’t applaud unity- he applauds ‘what is good, what is noble, what is right…’ He applauds following Jesus Christ and ‘rescuing those being lead to slaughter’. irrational
and get over your uterus slogan. It is meaningless to get off your uterus, when there is death on God’s children. irrational
The only thing applaudable in this presidential election is that the freedom that guns, glory, and God of our fathers who chose to be divisive against salvery enabled a black man to be President. It was not the unity crowd that made today possible.

anonymous

posted November 5, 2008 at 8:13 pm

From Jamey:
Response – Actually, that’s not true at all. The reason that Social Security is running out of money is that the life expectancy has gone way up since it started. It used to be in the 60s, and now it’s in the upper 70s, meaning that Social Security has to continue making payments for 10 years longer than it was meant to. Add the Baby Boomers on top of that, and you can see why SS is running out of money.
Look here: http://www.mnforsustain.org/united_states_population_growth_graph.htm
The population of the US has been steadily growing and will continue to do so.
Don’t make a statement without knowing the facts behind it. It only shows how ignorant you are.

jamey

posted November 5, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Anonymous,
The ignorance is that those facts, while absoutely true and a glaring problem of socialsim in action, ignores the unborn tragedy and financial impact (among others). The fact there there is a socialsim problem of not indexing social security to life expectency does not change the fact that 50 million taxpayers are missing since Colorado made abortion legal in 1967.
You are omitting half of the facts – who is being ignorant.

non-metaphysical stephen

posted November 5, 2008 at 8:54 pm

> I cannot believe that Christians would vote for a person whose platform and voting history shows exactly how he feels about the most Biblical issues.
Many of us Sallies felt the same way about W.
I still wrestle with God about why God allowed W to be re-elected — it boggles my mind! For the past 8 years, I have wondered if W and his staff are reading the same Bible I have on my shelves — they had all the talk of religion, but none of the fruit. In fact, their policies seemed to deliberately reject the teachings of the prophets about defending the weak and the poor and about not trusting in political, economic and military power.
White-washed sepulchers indeed….

anonymous

posted November 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Jamey, I don’t see anything in what you say that links missing taxpayers to Social Security running out of money. Do you have any evidence to back that up?
You seem to think that those people would have only contributed to the country and to the economy. Have you thought that they would also be a burden? As children, they would have required their parents’ resources, and gone through the public school system, not to mention putting a tax on welfare because, let’s face it, the majority of women who opt for abortion do so because they are in no economic position to have children. I’m not saying that that makes abortion okay, only that your reasoning is flawed: you cannot treat them as pure additional tax money, because they would also cost the government. If each person contributed more tax-wise than is needed to account for the resources from the government that they use, wouldn’t the government be richer now, rather than poorer?
So what evidence do you have that having 50 million extra citizens would mean more money overall?
“Although, if life expectency were to include the babies being killed, the real life expectency would be much, much lower.”
Okay… so? My point was that the rate at which people *pay* for social security tax is only about enough to cover what they *withdraw* from social security (once they retire) for 5 years or so, not the 15 years or so that social security has had to pay. Hence, the deficit. What redefining “life expectancy” to include unborn babies do? Those that withdraw from social security still live just as long.
And, actually, having 50 million people withdrawing more from social security than they pay would just worsen the problem, not make it better. Sure, they’d be taxpayers, but they’d also withdraw more than they pay, like every other person, making the deficit in social security even bigger than it is now.

David Kuo

posted November 5, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Thanks for this great post… we miss it, don’t we? We miss that what happened last night was the election of a president. Not a pope, not a pastor, not a god, a president – our nation’s chief bureaucrat… I think God must laugh that we continue to miss how feeble a position that really is.

anonymous

posted November 6, 2008 at 12:25 am

Anonymous,
Actually, putting 5 kids through school, I am keenly aware of the cost of doing so. But the fact is that productivity of parents while they have kids in school is dramatically more than either before or after. The parents income directly correlates to the needs of the kids. That is why the baby boomers retiring is likely to be such a tax shock – they will be producing dramatically less as soon as the youngest one graduates from college soon (I hope). The evidence is that for almost all of american history, people have a net positive effect, or we would have no people. Economics would have rid us of the problem. Yes, it is an assumption that people are a net positive and that they will create, produce, and profit like people before them, but a pretty safe bet. What is your evidence that more people would not be just as productive as those who are alive. (without the social elephant in the living room, it is likely that they would be even more productive).
Second, as chairman of a local pregnacy center for years, we found it was actually skewed substantially in favor of the well off girls not wanting the stress of being found out, parental pressure, etc. that had the majority of abortions. It was the poorer girls who were more likely to keep their babies. Economics being the primary reason for abortion is a myth. The poor girls were also less likely to give up for adoption. And, sadly, the most likely girls to abort were from the Christian school (another topic).
Third, it basically leaves us with simply mirroring the unborn with the society as a whole, you have no better assumption to make. If anything, it should be skewed to more productive, educated, etc. But in any case, unless you see human life as a net drain, not a net contribution, just using current economic spectrum shows massive net gain.
Fourth, there is demand. Simply look at the number of illegal immigrants working. Their taxes alone, with no additional productivity would be substantial. With 50 million additional workers, there wouldn’t be a demand for these jobs, unless they were all producing at much higher levels, which would produce even more of a windfall.
Fifth – none of this is the point. These are the side issues. Even if I was wrong on every one, abortion is still hideous. The social impact, like the Watership rabbits, is that we are all so numb that we walk around as if another one isn’t getting snared every few seconds. The point is, economic impact or not, positive or negative, Obama supporters, Christian or not, had a clear choice, and that choice is likely to result in abortion continuing for decades longer than if they had not supported him. The Obama vote did this with a very clear choice in front of them. For better or worse (I choose worse) that is where responsibility lies.

jamey

posted November 6, 2008 at 12:33 am

sorry, the last anonymous contributor was me – too late, fat fingers.

anonymous

posted November 6, 2008 at 2:14 am

Jamey,
I don’t disagree with your point that more people would mean more productivity, and I wasn’t trying to argue against it in the previous comment. But I disagree with your original point that having more people would alleviate the burden on Social Security, merely because they pay taxes. Just because they pay towards Social Security does not mean that they won’t withdraw once they retire. On average, people do not put in as much as they take out, and adding more people to that would only increase the gap.
I’m also not challenging your point that abortion is hideous. But I would encourage you to read this article: http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/story.html?id=283931&p=1
And try looking up “abortion in Brazil”, where abortion is illegal. The results are horrifying.
So my answer is that abortion is bad, but making it illegal means that women who are truly desperate will do anything to abort themselves. With illegal abortion, they have no access to safe and clean facilities, and die at much higher rates as a result.
Teach children safe sex, abstinence, prudence, and that they should keep the child if at all possible. The better solution is to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place. But leave them a way out instead of forcing them into a (very dangerous) corner. You might be accepting if your daughter (if you have one) became pregnant and wish for her to keep it, but not all parents would be understanding. Not all families are accepting, and not all situations are flexible.

Jamey

posted November 6, 2008 at 5:11 am

Anonymous,
We agree, Social Security would not alone be eliminated by theelimination of abortion. It is an ill conceived and ill operated unfunded ponzi scheme. Socialism at its worst – another topic.
My more accurate point is that the economic impact is enormous. Here are some initial websites, a quick google gives endless results.
I did read the article you mentioned. Thank you. But here again, we part ways. These, and many other stories, are heartbreaking. So are the stories of those who decide to keep their babies. The difference is that nobody dies in the 2nd scene.
It is aweful, truly aweful when a woman thinks she has no other option than to kill her baby. But the solution is not to kill the baby. Once pregnant, there is no easy solution. But killing somebody else makes it worse. The problem isn’t solved. They are no longer a mother, they have killed their own child. I am not that good of a writer, but I could write the same kind of story as your article about the horrors that woman after woman has gone through living with that fact that her baby did not.
The things that I saw in the Pregnancy Center are
1. the overwhelming vast majority of abortions is from sex outside of a relationshp ready to handle the consequences, and abortion as the means for a lifestyle decision, not a forced, dangerous, corner. The overwhelming majority of abortions have nothing to do with anything close to the story in the article or any of the other red herrings. It is for convenience and embarrassment (not threatening anyway.) Pro-abortion advocates insist that all who want an abortion for any reason should have it available (Obama’s record). There isn’t even an attempt to limit it in any way.
2. Safe, legal, abortion is a fallacy. I am friends with an ER doctor here in town and he regularly (multiple times a month) sees an abortion victim whose life is at stake because of a botched abortion and the facility that did the abortion will not see them again – and sends them to the ER. What happened to the commitment to the safety and health of the woman. Once the abortion is performed, the care for safety is over.
3. I have seen the post abortion syndrome in action. Again and again. You wouldn’t believe the list of women that come through the post abortion counseling. It would rock the community. The abortion didn’t alleviate any suffering, it just changed it and extended it. It didn’t accomplish the fabricated goal. And the baby is dead.
4. I have seen, in a post like this, someone volunteer to care for any woman during pregnancy, adopt the baby, pay for expenses, until the mother was recovered. The readership was over 1,000, and the company it was part of was over 40,000. There was not one taker. Why is there not just as much push for safe, legal, delivery as there is for ‘safe’, legal, abortion. Not one taker. Again, it is not the desparate situation under which most (vast, vast majority) of abortions happen, it is the routine.

Jamey

posted November 6, 2008 at 5:26 am

David,
I think God must cry when he sees the ‘little’ power a president has to be pre-committed to signing a bill that would cause the death of millions of babies not yet born and even let the ones mistakenly born alive die on the table while deliberately preventing assistant to a live human in plain view for all to see. And for people to cheer him on.
It is a shame that so little power be built on the death of babies.
“They built high places for Baal in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to sacrifice their sons and daughters to Molech, though I never commanded, nor did it enter my mind, that they should do such a detestable thing and so make Judah sin.”
It never entered God’s mind that people would do such a thing.

gwen

posted November 6, 2008 at 5:26 pm

i read a status update on a christian friend’s facebook that read: ‘america is now officially an obamanation’. i disagree, but it is pretty damn clever, isn’t it??

sally

posted November 6, 2008 at 6:01 pm

as far as sally and the hands off my uterus…
its her body…she has the finally say….not everyone believes that life begins at the moment of conception….

Angela

posted November 6, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Who says that life does not begin at conception? It is a scientific fact that it does. The moment that a sperm joins with an egg a whole new set of human DNA is established. It is also a biblical fact. God is the one that forms us in the womb. Who on earth is greater than God? Thinking they have the right to end his workmanship? When we see Jesus in all His glory and the day of judgment comes everyone who believes that an unborn baby is not a person and should not be considered to have rights will realize what a HUGE mistake they made. They will realize what they did to God’s precious creations.

praying

posted November 7, 2008 at 12:09 pm

This is directed mainly at the woman who made the comment to keep rosaries off her uterus and to those who agree;
Why do you think God gave you a uterus to start with? He blessed women with them for the sole purpose of carrying a baby! I strongly believe God knew each one of us long before we were ever conceived and He formed us in our mothers’ wombs. Your body is not really yours, it’s a temple of the Lord! What are all the women who believe this concept that “it’s my body and I have the final say” and that life does not begin at conception going to say when they have to one day face the Lord and explain their actions?
Abortion is wrong any way you look at it and the ones who try to excuse it by saying “it’s my body” will have to answer to the LORD! There are too many women who would love the opportunity to care for these babies as their own.

praying

posted November 8, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Have any of you heard that Obama is sometimes being referred to as the next Messiah? That is completely outrageous and goes against everything I believe in!! We certaintly need to be praying harder tnan we ever had.

rainbow

posted November 8, 2008 at 4:58 pm

I think that you all need to open your hearts, your souls and your minds and not be so judgemental because if you you are truly christians you’ll know “judge not lest ye be judged”

lookbeyond

posted November 9, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Obama, truly an unknown by the electorate! The electorate was convinced through smooth talking rehtoric, that evil is good and good is evil! Votes were bought with promises of the middle class seeing a decrease in their taxes and an increase to the wealthy. To take from the wealthy, the hard worker, and those who plan for their own security, and give it to the less motivated; the poor; the lazy; is to destroy all iniative to work, save and plan for one’s own retirement.Entitlement programs are designed to destroy our democracy by weakening our economy to the point of financial collapse.
Obama, will, if he is successful, seek to alienate the Christian, separate the wealthy from their wealth, raise taxes of those already overtaxed, and create a tax revolution in this Counrty! $700 Billion dollars isn’t enough….they’re talking now of increasing the even more…..why they could give every tax payer age 18 and over $250,000 and it would do more for the economy than any other action they could take! Do the math, figuring there are an estimated 200 million taxpayers. Crunch the numbers and think about it. Most people could pay off their homes; buy a new car; pay 35% taxes and still have money to spend………wow! Would this not stimulate the economy?
Obama is not going to be good for America! He is not what he appears to be! He is a sheep in wolves clothing and we are the flock that will soon be fleeced by the Dems!A true Muslim, raised in the faith from childhood; who has surrounded himself with radicals who now will set his agenda which will bring disgrace to America. He is embedded with ACORN, the voter fraud machine that cost McCain the election!
Give me strength! America will face a crisis beyond all crisis in the next four years….as the Stock Market Crashes, and the “fat cats” hide with their millions…..we the mice in the field will be left to scrape out a living much like 1929, only it will be worse! Let’s watch and see if George Washington’s Vision, “Son of the Republic” of America really does take place as he saw it!

poesis

posted November 10, 2008 at 7:43 am

To Lookbeyond and other conservative Americans: I think you’ll find that Jesus was very, very much in favour of separating the wealthy from their wealth. His advice to the rich young man seek ethical guidance? Sell all that you own and give the money to the poor. See also the parable of Dives and Lazarus. The rich man was no doubt very hardworking and perhaps felt that the filthy beggar sat at his gate day after day after day had no right to any handouts; the poor are lazy, right? The rich man seems to have been convinced that his good life on earth was going to carry on in the hereafter: he deserved it, right? Then he dies and God turns his perverse logic on its head. The poor man is in heaven and the rich man has lost his soul to the devil. Tell me, Christian America: which bit of this parable do you not understand?

james

posted November 12, 2008 at 1:06 pm

IT RELLY SADDENS ME THAT SO MANY BELIEVERS IN CHRIST ARE SO JUDGEMENTAL AGAINST THIS MAN HAS PUT HERE ON THIS EARTH YES HE MAY NOT BE WHAT HE SAYS HE IS MAYBE HE IS OBAMA IS A MAN THAT OUR GOD HAS ALOUD TO PRESENT HERE ON EARTH TO DO WHAT HE WAS CALLED TO DO.. YOU CAN BEST UNDERSTAND THAT GOD KNEW OBAMA BEFORE ANY OF US KNEW HIM JUST CONTINUE TO PRAY THAT WE DONT FALL SHORT ON OUR DAILY LIVES AND KEEP OBAMA IN YOUR PRAYRES THAT IF HE DOESNT KNOW CHRIST AS HIS SAVIOR THAT THE RIGHT PERSOJN MAY COME INTO HIS LIFE TO PRESENT IT TO HIM
SEEK YE FIRST THE KINDOM

Sadie

posted November 13, 2008 at 12:24 am

however one feels about, Barack Obama IS elected as president and we have to pray that God gives him guidance and wisdom to make the right decisions. Let’s not forget, that no matter who is president GOD IS IN CONTROL.

Pingback: Culture War and context - Text Messages