Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#209 Perceiving persecution

posted by Stephanie Drury

christian_oppression_pie.jpg
Christian culture is vigilant about persecution. Jesus said being persecuted goes with the territory of following him, and some of those followers are really on the lookout.

your-best-life-now.jpg
Christian culture sees persecution in all sorts of things and they often say they’re under attack. The institution of marriage is under attack, the right to life is under attack, free speech is under attack and on top of all that, the liberal media tries to make them look dumb. Although they say free speech is under attack, they have no use for the ACLU. Some of them call it the Anti-Christian Liberals Union or Anti-Christian Litigation Unit.

blairhitchens.jpg
Christians say they expect to be persecuted or maligned, but when it actually happens they can be quite indignant. Once criticized/attacked/persecuted they often experience bewilderment, quickly followed by (self-) righteous anger. “How could they possibly perceive me that way?” Well guess what, my Christian cornhole, maybe you’ve just been given the enormous gift of honest truth. Proverbs says that an honest answer is like a kiss on the lips, and if someone just told you the truth then you are not being persecuted. (Sorry.) If it really is persecution, the Apostle Paul said you are blessed for it. Being defensive is your ego talking and it shows that you don’t really trust the one you say you believe in. So tell me again, what was it that comes before a fall? Oh, crap.

Abby Normal

posted February 3, 2011 at 7:09 pm

A-freaking-men!
This comes up on the interwebs so much, and then there was whole bruhaha with Target, and the War on Christmas, and on and on, *sigh*. As if Christ is so wimpy that He’s going to be done in by an ad on the side of a bus or a park without a nativity scene.
I often wonder what Christians in countries where they’re REALLY persecuted think of the “oppression” that goes on the US.

Jen

posted February 3, 2011 at 7:18 pm

All this constant hype about persecution makes Jesus seem like an extremely insecure God.

Sarah

posted February 3, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Brilliant. A lot of this hype about persecution usually comes along with a really interesting terror of “the end times.” They’re convinced that “the last days” are upon us, and boy, do they want to stave that off. Hm.
LOVE that first graphic.

shelly

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm

AMEN. *nods*

Mosscow

posted February 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm

“Christian Cornhole” – YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin

posted February 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

But there’s a war on christmas!

AdmNaismith

posted February 3, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Of all the things Christian Culture likes, I think this is their Very Favorite Thing (despite being the MOST untrue thing they like).

Grumpy Old Person

posted February 3, 2011 at 11:23 pm

“Proverbs says that an honest answer is like a kiss on the lips”
Mmmm, count me in. I’d love a good kiss on the lips from an honest guy. You make honesty sound sexy.

Orangeboy

posted February 4, 2011 at 1:49 am

Te-he. “My Christian cornhole.”
@Jen: Thanks for the link. Feminazi tends to make the rounds with my family EVERY holiday. VERY WRONG! I’m going to be all over that now. Sorry for my passive acceptance. I will fix this.

Paul R

posted February 4, 2011 at 5:01 am

Love it!

Sarah

posted February 4, 2011 at 6:49 am

I’m also going to add that what they call persecution is really the beginning of equalization — i.e. they’re slowly starting to lose their privilege (though not nearly quickly enough) and they’re angry and terrified. White people, homophobes, English-speakers, wealthy people, and men who are angry and terrified about the possibility of losing their privilege as racism, homophobia, nativism, classism and sexism receive more direct challenges react in the same way. What they see as persecution is simply the beginning of the end of their monopoly on political and social power, which is part of the reason why the whole country appears to be going insane: They’re getting vicious because they feel that they’re being backed into a corner (which they are, and which they should be). They don’t know what a loss of privilege would look like, they can’t imagine real democratic equality, and they fear severe repercussions for years of being assholes.

Steve

posted February 4, 2011 at 8:31 am

One finds this persecution complex in all religions, and even among non-religious, such as atheists, who perceive themselves persecuted by Christians who think atheists are persecuting them. Each religion points fingers at the other religions, accusing them of persecution (Example: Christians feel persecuted by Jews and Muslims; Muslims feel persecuted by Jews and Christians; and Jews feel persecuted by Christians and Muslims). In fact, accusations that “we” are being persecuted by “them” become a mask for and diversion from our persecution of others.
Captcha: lephand institute. What does this institute do?

ransacker

posted February 4, 2011 at 11:08 am

Steve, On the money. Very well put. Paranoia is endemic to every highly defined group. It is what bands people together.
Sarah, Equalization indeed. As it should be……
The ACLU? They are the flip side of the zealot coin. They’re fundamentalist of a different stripe. Except they have cooler clothes, better taste in music and probably better sex. Anyone who is that sure they’re right however makes me distrust them. Like Fundamentalist Christians…….. Sorry.
Persecution? You call this persecution? No jail, rapes, hacked off limbs? This is irritation. Not persecution. Please……

Stephen Charles

posted February 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm

This plea always reminds me of when I used to say to my parents whenever they requested I do something I didn’t want to do, “I’m just a slave around here.” Actually, I had it pretty easy. Yes, I am comparing Christian whining to dramatic juvenile antics.

Gaypet

posted February 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I agree that there are lots of groups with a “persecution complex”. But there are some groups who really are discriminated against. Is it as bad as being hacked up by a machete? Of course not. But being fired from your job or constantly pulled over by the police or denied an apartment does tend to make people upset. The ACLU is not perfect. But they do stand up for those who are being tromped on.
People are persecuted in this country. But not for being a Christian.

Tony D.

posted February 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

“But there’s a war on christmas!”
I’d love to show as many Christmas-warriors as possible this (not safe for work).
He’s not saying “The Holidays!” He’s on your side!

Still Breathing

posted February 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

Similar problems on this side of the UK with people behaving in an un-Christlike way and complaining that they are persecuted. I suspect the issue is the church failing to come to terms with the end of Christendom when what it said was accepted as the morality for everyone.

ransacker

posted February 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

Stephanie,
May I ask about one of the graphics? The Christopher Hitchens bit, I bleieve I understand in the context of this discussion. But Tony Blair? Might you explain?

stephanie drury

posted February 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm

The Maverick Jester

posted February 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm

The War Against Christmas is the one that bothers me the most. Starting in October, many stores have an aisle dedicated to Christmas. TV shows tell us how wonderful the holiday is and towns openly decorate for Christmas. Yet, if someone says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas or suggests that religious displays should be kept on private property, people scream persecution.

Flah the Heretic Methodist

posted February 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

I LOVE this entry. Let’s see, you can wear xtian jewelry, t-shirts, and WWJD bracelets anywhere, any time. There are xtian schools and colleges. There are xtian radio and tv stations. Your chances of holding elected office goes up exponentially if you flog your religion. Xtians ARE the majority…..and yet they are persecuted? Bwa ha ha ha.

blessed be the persecuted

posted February 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I was persecuted growing up! I am still scarred by it!
Ok, but all of my “persecutors” were Christian. That can’t be right, can it? If Christians are so concerned with being persecuted, why do they waste so much breath on persecuting those who are non-Christian?
I was “persecuted” because I’m “non-Christian”. (I’m Catholic. Oh, the irony…)
I have found Christians tend to persecute others more than others seem to persecute them. Of course, I’m just a sheltered Midwestern kid, and I only have my personal experiences upon which to rely. And it is possible I’ve developed a dozen or so prejudices due to all of that persecution…
Thanks for this post, Stephanie. This one hit home more than any other.

Hairy-Spice

posted February 7, 2011 at 6:53 pm

@ Mav
On my Facebook this year, I put up a post saying something along thins of: Remember the true meaning of Christmas… And went on to explain the pagan fertility rituals and such.
You would not believe the flack I got from family and friends(the same ones posting on their Facebook stuff like: Leave Christ in my Christmas! or If you can’t acknowledge Christ I’m Christmas, don’t take te holidy. Just go to work!

Kent

posted February 8, 2011 at 11:54 am

Yeah, And how dare any Amish man ever fight back if anyone ever wants to hit him. After all we have the right to hit him don’t we, because he isn’t suppose to hit back!

stephanie drury

posted February 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Kent, would you feel persecuted if I asked you what you’re on about?

None

posted February 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Kent, the Amish don’t have internet access. I’m pretty sure they’re safely sheltered from this blog.

T...

posted February 9, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Gawd, I’ve been waiting for this. I say it all the blasted time. I’ll be back with a story to knock your socks off.

Kent

posted February 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm

No persecution felt on this side. Just makes sense like you say, I mean how dare a Christian get angry if someone wants to lay down an attack. After all someone wanting to attack a Christian should never feel as though they have to suffer through any anger/push back etc. from their recipient. For the self righteous attacker this makes it all the better with the Amish, you can actually hit them and they are not supposed to retaliate.

None

posted February 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Well said, self righteous attacker Kent. How dare anyone on this blog retaliate if struck.

Gaypet

posted February 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm

When did hitting people become part of this conversation? Oh. Right. Came along with the crazy.

T...

posted February 9, 2011 at 11:11 pm

The vast majority of my family is rooted in CC. They call me “the liberal” and (usually in good fun) wonder at my being in ministry. I generally bite my tongue and let them share all their conservative glory without too much of an argument.
On one memorable occasion, it was everything I could do to keep from hysterical laughter.
Understand first, my uncle, a reasonably intelligent man, VEHEMENTLY opposes Global Warming as “unfounded Liberal propaganda.” Despite what MANY scientists have concluded, without ANY research of his own, he’s dismissed it as complete and utter lies. So, this man (my relative, *sigh*) came home from work fired up about something his coworker had informed him of. Something all Christians, we persecuted, downtrodden, American Christians, MUST be aware of this very present danger: In fact, did you know, that while Bill Clinton (never mind he professes Christianity as his faith) was in office he signed a super secret act to round up all American Christians and herd them into Concentration Camps!!! Did you hear that?! And what, with G.W.Bush, that saint, out of office, and Obama (also a self-proclaimed Christian), the Antichrist himself, IN office, he’d reinstated this plan. In fact, they’d gone forward with land purchases and Railroad Car acquisitions. There are GPS pictures on a website! A WEBSITE! An entire website dedicated to this very topic! There must, in fact, THERE IS not only validity, but the sincerest of truths in this rumor. We should all beware. He knew Obama was Satan’s helper. *widens eyes in fright, takes aggressive pose* We MUST plan to keep ourselves safe. We must plan to speak out. We are persecuted! PERSECUTED! We will be like cattle, or… JEWS, sent to be tortured in camps.
I know there are very smart people who disagree with Global Warming, with good reason- as in, they’ve done research, read the facts, and concluded differently. Fine. Okay. Global Warming is not my point. My point is, it is mere rubbish, despite it’s many, MANY scientific backings. However, this hokey website and co-worker must be right. Despite the fact that the men who started and continue this plan proclaim themselves the thing they “plot” to terrorize, and despite the fact that an enormous amount of Americans count themselves Christians, it was clearly true, founded, logical, to be instantly fought against. Who cares about the whales, save the Christians!
Indeed, we, poor, poor, oppressed American Christians, we are near under attack.
Seriously, WTF, guys? To laugh or cry? Perhaps both.

Steve

posted February 10, 2011 at 8:53 am

@ T…: It sounds like somebody’s not taking their lithium. Or watching too much Glenn Beck, who also is apparently not taking his lithium.

Stephen Charles

posted February 10, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Speaking of Glenn, it’s his birthday today. I’d say happy birthday to him but I bet he’d find a way to make that a form of persecution. Do Mormons not celebrate birthdays, or is that the JW’s?

Sarah

posted February 10, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Oh, T…
Well, now as soon as the federal government wants to move forward with high-speed trains all the Christians are going to be arming themselves and waiting in their houses with loaded guns and baited breath and wild eyes. It would be funny if I weren’t certain that someone will die. Probably a poor federal stiff who needs to knock on the Christian’s door to ask permission to cross the lawn to where the building site is located.
And I really, really want to be able to make it to Chicago in two hours without climbing on a plane. Sigh.

nobodyssister

posted February 11, 2011 at 4:30 pm

By the time the TSA gets through with the passengers, that two hour train ride will hit 5 hours easy.

WearyPilgrim

posted February 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Persecuted?? Riiiiiight. Evangelicals and fundamentalists boast tens of thousands of churches across the country, hundreds of radio stations, at least a half-dozen cable TV networks, demographic domination of the entire South and Midwest, control of the Republican Party . . . yet somehow they see themselves as a picked-on minority. Sarah is right: what this is really about is their fear of losing their hegemony.

JeffG

posted August 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Even in this thread we have someone propagating lies about the ACLU. They’re out to protect everyone’s rights, even Christians, who they have defended directly as well, but you’ll never hear about those cases from fundies or evangelicals. No group should be allowed to use public resources to push their beliefs, to the exclusion of other groups. The problem is that Christians work from a viewpoint of special privilege, any attack on that privilege is seen as persecution against their rights, but it’s not.

TIMOTHY ROGERS

posted January 12, 2012 at 6:21 am

Hi,
I liked your blog and the posts are superb.
you done a very great job.
Thanks