Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#198 Saying “freaking”

posted by Stephanie Drury

freakingshirt.jpg

Replacement swear words are a key component of the Christian culture vernacular. The Christian who aspires to be relevant is often particularly fond of saying “freaking” while talking about the things of God. They feel it is risky, but not so much so it would actually make God mad. To really say the eff word would be going WAY TOO FAR.

Some common manifestations of freaking in Christian culture include:

“God is just so freaking awesome!!!!!!!”
“God blew the freakin’ doors off the tomb!”
“I love Jesus and there is not a freaking thing you can do about it!”
“Andy Stanley pastors a freaking huge church.”
“Do you frickin’ believe the Word of God?”
“The devil doesn’t need a freakin’ advocate…he’s doing pretty well all
by himself.”
“Our new church website is so freakin’ cool looking! (I’ve gotta quit
saying freakin’, I’m a freakin’ pastor for crying out loud!)”

freakinsign.jpg

Lee

posted October 22, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Dear Ms. Drury,
I’ve never used ‘freaking’ when preaching. I have used ‘crap’ before. I don’t know if that influenced any young souls for Christ, but it did disgruntle some older stodgy legalists, whose spokeswoman let me know about it.
Freakin’ old lady.
Yours, Lee

shelly

posted October 22, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I’m completely guilty of saying “freakin’.” Sometimes it just rolls off the tongue better than the actual f-word for me. *nods*
captcha: chigues Coelum. Is that some weird 19th century disease?

Nica

posted October 22, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Haha! This is freaking hilarious.

Veronica

posted October 22, 2010 at 9:53 pm

My favorite replacement swear is “b.a.” As in, “bad ass.” Another favorite is “kick-a.” haha

Eric

posted October 23, 2010 at 2:08 am

My favorite is when the people who say “freaking” all the time go on to criticize those of us who speak like regular human beings by saying that “swearing shows a small vocabulary”.

Hollan

posted October 23, 2010 at 2:51 am

Haha! I recently adopted ‘effing’, but more for politeness than any worry that God might be mad. I think this was actually my first, deep, philosophical, and unanswered question that drove me from the Church door. Why does God CARE if you use a swear word? No one could tell me. Because it isn’t refined? Because its slang, and good Christians only speak proper English?

Alastair

posted October 23, 2010 at 5:43 am

At our church, the favoured substitute swear word seems to be “chuffing” amongst the young people. I don’t get it – for me the problem isn’t using swear words themselves, but how they’re used.
If you’re controlled by anger (bitterness?!), it doesn’t matter whether you say you’re fucking pissed off or chuffing peeved, the sentiment is exactly the same…

Billy

posted October 23, 2010 at 10:49 am

Haha!! I’ve got to let Chris know his photo made it onto you’re blog!!

George, American

posted October 23, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Christian culture is pretty freaking lame.
Captcha: ethical andment

Chrissy

posted October 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm

How did they come to believe that “freaking” and “fucking” don’t mean the same fuckin’ thing? Is it because of “Oh my gosh”? Because “gosh” is excusable, even though it’s merely an excuse to speak like humans without breaking a commandment. I guess they are dense enough to believe that “Oh my God” is more sinful than replacing “um” with “Lord” when they pray. That being said, I have been unable to pray aloud in a group ever since my prayer life was reduced to “God, What the fuck?! Seriously, What the fuck are you doing? This is retarded.” At least it’s straight forward. All that “Lord, you are so freakin’ awesome! And Lord, we just praise you Lord… (insert 5 minute rant filled with excessive, vain ‘Lords’).” If people talked to me that way I could listen for about 10 seconds. If they say “Chrissy, what the fuck are you doing?” That there is something I can work with. Speak the damn language, people.
Allastair, “Chuffing”? Where do you live? I’ve never heard such a word.
Lee, Where do you live? I want to go to your church…

Lee

posted October 23, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Dear Chrissy,
Santa freakin’ Fe, New Mexico. Come visit us at the b.a. First Baptist Church. OMG, we’d be freakin’ glad to have you.
But if you can’t make it, just freakin’ send us a check occasionally. That would truly be b.a.
And George, American, you chuffin peeve me off, even if we are lame.
Crappily yours, Lee

stephy

posted October 23, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Kari Ann

posted October 24, 2010 at 10:44 am

One of the kids in my youth group asked me once if I thought it was “bad” or “sinful” to cuss. I explained that there was a big difference between cursing, blaspheming, being profane, and cussing, and that it is perfectly possible to curse, blaspheme, and be profane WITHOUT saying a single cuss word.
I told her that I didn’t believe that the Bible said that cussing itself was evil, but that we are told that it is far MORE important that the words we speak should be respectful of God and of others.
As a funny side note, as kids, my brothers and I (obviously) weren’t allowed to cuss, so we were forced to come up with more off-beat insults, some of which included: lawyer, news reporter, politician, accountant, and (my all-time fave) televangelist.

stephanie drury

posted October 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Gordon Fee said that when he’d speak at youth groups and people would ask him “Can I do such-and-such and still be a Christian?” he wanted to say to them “Stop asking that Jewish question!”

J. Christine

posted October 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Valerie

posted October 24, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Of course, in Atlanta during Freaknik, freaking takes on a whole new meaning…

George (British)

posted October 25, 2010 at 11:15 am

Chrissy, “chuffing” is used quite a lot over here in the UK. I’m guessing Alastair must be a Brit too.
And does anyone remember an All Star United song called ‘Dude, That’s Freaking Awesome’?
Captcha: rheastat 1790 (freakin’, chiffin’ weird, if you ask me)

Sarah J

posted October 26, 2010 at 10:31 am

Thye also like “stinkin,” as in “This cake is so stinkin good!”

@MCDZL

posted November 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm

hey, i know the kid in that picture! Chris Brown from Elevation! hahaha! (love this blog btw. hilarious!)

Tracy McCollister

posted November 7, 2010 at 4:12 am

I believe “masking” curse words, vulgarities, slang, etc., by Christians is a cop out and is giving place to the devil. We should be able to speak strongly for our Lord using universally acceptable venacular. Why should we stoop to the level of the unregenerate? We should not. We are to be “salt and light” to the world, to be in the world, but not of the world. God expects the best from us.

Mark

posted November 7, 2010 at 4:44 am

Check out: Ps.59:12, Ps.73:9, 1 Peter 3:10, Proverbs 2:12, Proverbs 10:32, Isaiah 33:15, and especially Mt.12:34-36, Lk.6:45, and Mk.7:19-21. There are others. Most of the comments that I’ve read here and the “Christians” who speak this way, show a total ignorance of God’s Word. Quit playing. Start reading, studying and doing.

Diana

posted November 7, 2010 at 5:48 am

I completely agree with the posted named Mark who said “Start reading, studying and doing.” “Freaking” may sound like a silly, perfectly okay thing to say but we all know it’s a substitute for another word which is decidedly a curse. Find out what the Good Book says about curses.

Mike

posted November 7, 2010 at 9:08 am

Having encouraged His audience not to swear at all, Jesus says, “But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.” (Matthew 5:37).

Keepthe

posted November 7, 2010 at 9:34 am

Hollan, here it is: Ephesians 4:29 Don’t use bad language. Say only what is good and helpful to those you are talking to, and what will give them a blessing.
For the people who want to defend their right to use the word “freaking.” Of course you can say it, but does it put you closer to Christ? Do you become more like Jesus by using the word? Isn’t there something out there that really deserves more attention? Our duty is to carry His word to as many people as we can. If the word offends some people, maybe it would interfere with that important job of bringing others to Christ. There’s a lot of words in the English language, surely different words could be used. Taking it out of our vocabulary can be an act of humility and a sign of respect for others. It can say “I care about you, my brothers and sisters, and out of that love for you, I’ll use a different word. I want to pull you closer; I don’t want to risk pushing you away.”
If a person says that word alot, eliminating it can be a good way to practice self-discipline and put into ACTION my love for Him and you.
My new Mantra: ACTION ACTION ACTION………..

Megan Mcelveen

posted November 7, 2010 at 4:01 pm

i think you should not use a photo of the worship leader of my church and photoshop what you want into the white board hes holding. thats wrong. chris dosnt say that.

Lori

posted November 7, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Followers of Christ are told to be “in the world, but not of the world”. There’s alot of slang out there: “heck” for “hell”, “shoot” for “s**t”, “darn” for “damn”, “gosh darn” instead of using the Lord’s name in vain. And now “freaking” for the “F” word. Would Jesus use these words? He came to teach and show us how to live. These words don’t honor or glorify our Father. What’s in our minds is what comes out our mouths – let’s have pure thoughts which reflects in our speech. “God is Awesome” – period! No adjective needed!!

Angie

posted November 7, 2010 at 5:51 pm

This is equivalent to engaging in an “inappropriate” friendship for the sake of influencing those who are involved in affairs. Jesus Christ did not mask his sacrifice so let us not have to trick or deceive anyone into their salvation. Rebirth can not take place if behavior is avoided or is tolerated.

AYO

posted November 8, 2010 at 4:26 am

God’s word is pure your adding to it does not make it more effective the word has the power to break down the most terible criminal on earth. What Pastors need is not freaking Language but tongue filled with words from the Holy spirit.

Karen Mulhern

posted November 8, 2010 at 4:46 am

We shouldn’t use any of those verniculars at all. How about that. I wish sometimes I could catch myself doing before I do. My own family cusses and I tell them not to but to no avil. They say I used cuss and, I tell them I used to.Then when I get off the phone I do. What’s wrong with me. I am a minister’s wife. I should be an example? HUH?
Well. NO MORE.

IRIS

posted November 8, 2010 at 5:06 am

This is why we need the Holy Spirit. When we get saved, we must ask the Lord to ceate in me a clean heart, and renew the right spirit within us. The word of God lets me knows that God dose not dwell in an unclean temple. The word also said, once we get saved we are new creation, old things are passed away BEHOLD ALL THINGS BECOME NEW! So lets get rid of the old man, and let the lord use you! DO NOT CHANGE THE WORD TO MAKE A POINT, just speak the word.

Jerry Boop

posted November 8, 2010 at 6:32 am

Lets getem in church and let God, His Holy Spirit and Jesus do the rest.

Jesus Freak

posted November 8, 2010 at 6:38 am

God didn’t state what words were clean or unclean… society did. On the list of 10 commandments where does it say anything about swearing? Thou shall not use the F bomb? I don’t think so.
Society and people use God as an excuse to move their own agenda all the time. I certainly don’t think God will turn away any of his children for swearing.
Want to create the perfect world? Follow the red words in the bible and not man.

susan gill

posted November 8, 2010 at 6:59 am

There is something base and disingenuous about Christians using curse words . Why is it that areas of the church continue to indulge in worldly methods to attract young people? Christianity is Christ centered, not youth centered and this particular movement which considers itself evangelical ought to reflect on that truth.

time2be

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:01 am

God looks into the heart so if you say one word but mean another he knows what is in your heart and why you say it.

Warren

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:08 am

the Bible is very clear , And this applies to Catholics during lent!
Jesus said “For it Is not what goes into a mans mouth that makes him unclean,But what comes out of it” But I agree with you time2be!

jcrilley

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:09 am

I am one who would give some “disgruntled feedback” if my pastor used that word from the pulpit, or anywhere else. I am not a legalist, nor do I consider myself (worthless, as your label suggests) old and stodgy, although I am in my 60’s. I am all for change that will bring young ones into our church and have backed many of them. But this is just ridiculous and totally unnecessary. If we have to lower our convictions in order to incorporate anyone into the church, we are in my opinion, in very big trouble.

SisPJ

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:19 am

As Christians professing godliness, we are not only followers of Jesus Christ but also His representatives. As representatives of the Most High God, we should resemble Christ in every form: behavior, attitude, speech, etc. We must not do and say things as the world does and says things. We have been commanded to come out from among them and be separate (2 Cor 6:17). When we act and speak like the world, we are no different than them and we as Christians have lost our witness to them. 1 Cor 15:33b says evil communications corrupt good manners. Even the world will tell you such words don’t belong in a professional environment so why would we use such words and then call ourselves Christians? As Christians, we are to be holy in all conversation (1 Peter 1:15). As Christians we are called unto holiness (1 Peter 1:16), and without holiness no man shall see the Lord (Heb 12:14b). In addition to holiness, we must walk in righteousness and truth. We cannot compromise on the Word of God or try to act, speak, and look like the world in an effort to try to win them. It won’t work: only the unadulterated Gospel will win the lost. Jesus Christ is our example and we must follow Him wholeheartedly: in our speech and in our actions. Jesus said we are not to be lukewarm (He would rather we become hot or cold, for or against Him) or He would spew us out of His mouth (Revelations 3:15-16). We are not to be half-hearted Christians (hot only for Jesus on Sunday and then living our lives contrary to Him at other times). This is a daily faith walk and we must be souled out to Jesus, in every facet of our lives: speech and actions. God is looking and He’s booking. Prayer is one of our tools if we need help lining up with God’s Word. We must line up with God’s Word and not make it line up with or justify our lifestyle. We are either satisfying our flesh or walking in the Spirit (Romans 8:5-9). This walk with Jesus is on a strait and narrow path and there will be few that find it (Matthew 7:13-14). So we must ask ourselves 3 questions: 1)What would Jesus do? 2) Does my lifestyle line up with the Word of God so that I can make it into heaven and have everlasting life in Christ Jesus? and 3) Does my lifestyle cause those around me to turn to Jesus as Lord and Savior or turn from Him and then into eternal damnation?

jcrilley

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:22 am

An added note after reading numerous posts; What ever happend to simple RESPECT for those around you? What will the young ones be asking you to accept in your church when you are “old and stodgy”.

SisPJ

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:40 am

True, God does look at the heart. However, we will be held accountable for every idle word that comes from our mouth (Matthew 12:36-37) Our words have the power of life and death (Proverbs 18:21). It would be better if we were silent than to speak foolishly or use language unbecoming of a Christian. Jesus said in Matthew 12:34 that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. So if it comes from our mouth, it originated in our heart, which means our heart is defiled (Matthew 15:18-20). So if someone says “I didn’t mean to say that” or “That just slipped out”, they are a liar because of what Jesus said in Matthew 12:34.

Etta Ruthenberg

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:54 am

I don’t like it. Why should the church keep lowering their standards?
What kind of example are they setting?
I have a better idea. Let everyone improve their vocabulary so they can express themselves without such words. Words increase rage and words can help people tone it down.

bill

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:12 am

You’re all missing the point that it’s God’s place to judge. ~ * ~ Not Yours ~ * ~. Pray for those who aren’t following the ways to live that Jesus has given us.

Joe

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:22 am

“Freaking” and words like it are VAIN. It is clear that the word means nothing as it is used in these examples since it can be used in ANY context. It could be used as an adjective with any word in this case. Since it is here a meaningless addition to speech, it is IDLE. Jesus said that we would give an account for EVERY idle word that we speak.
Words are curses when they direct hate and evil towards things and towards other people. Common words about bodily functions and earthy things are not necessarily curses. They become curses when they’re used in ways to direct evil towards other things or people.
The dangers in speech include the use of idle words and curse words. Words should be weighed, not counted. The addition of idle words represents a lack of wisdom.
“Freaking” could be used in a meaningful way, e.g., in the sentence, “He was really freaking out about the test.” Here the words “freaking out” mean something similar to “having a cow” or “worrying”.

thomas

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:42 am

So if we were to use the word “stinkin” rather than “freakin” that would be ok? In actuallity it is the same context that people are speakig about here. I am known for using the word “freakin”, but by no means is the “eff” word in my mind or heart. So for that fact I shouldn’t use words or phrases such as “darn it”, “dag-um-it”, “dang”, “shoot” or “shucks” due to they could be considered filling in the blank. I guess the next time we stub our toe or hit our our thumb with a hammer we shouldn’t say “ooch” because that would be a fill in word for something else the flesh would rather say. I can see points from both sides, but it is God that is the judge and yes he does look at what is in our heart at that moment. I guess it kinda goes back to the teaching of: If a person decides not to eat pork due to what the old testiment says then do not discourage them from it if you disagree. If you invite them over, respect their interpretation of the Word and don’t serve pork.
If you are before a group, that some might not receive the word “freakin” then you may want to choose another word out of respect for them. Maybe when they say freakin, they really are thinking the eff word and may take it personal.

Kel

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:42 am

I used to use curse words myself “all” the time, until I grew up and realized how disrespectful it is to use those words in front of other people, so then think how disrespectful it is to use them in front of God. Now my kids 3 are adults have the filthiest mouths,they cuss like sailors and I cannot get them to understand why they shouldn’t. I have little grandbabies and do not like for them to hear these words but their parents are the ones teaching them.
If there is one single place they could go to learn and see that cursing is wrong even using replacement words that should be the Church. But they also refuse to go and if they did I would hate for them to come home to tell me that it was confirmed to them in church that swearing is perfectly acceptable!
Here is one example of how they behave…We can be standing in the check out line at the store and my daughters will, no matter who is near just say whatever they please with no consideration to their elder’s around them, whom we are taught from a young age to respect. And I am absolutely mortified by this! I am ashamed to be seen with them when they behave this way in public so if I am ashamed of their behavior and mortified by the disrespect they show wouldn’t Jesus also consider this disrespectful to him? He is ceratinly our elder, is He not?
I agree with those who say that these replacement words are just what is coming out of our mouths because we are still thinking the bad words inside and God knows what is inside of our hearts and minds.
However they are just words and it does depend on how we use them, any word can sound harsh or hateful depending on the context it is being used. Even the name of God can be used badly. And taking God’s name in vane is the only one I never let them get away or myself with saying. I have accidently said those words before, and immediately ask for God’s forgiveness.
Has anyone ever been swearing and had a person then ask “do you kiss your mother or grandmother with that mouth?” They say this because their mouths are dirty, defiled by these words and we should be showing rsepect to our elders always.
This whole topic is just about simple “respect” and so very many of our youth today have no idea what respect is and they need to learn.They need to respect their family’s and their elder’s and especially the Lord. Then they will be on the right path of understanding and growing up. Start with respect and the rest will follow.

Felicia

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:44 am

I’m very uncomfortable with the use of freakin’, friggin’ or any variation thereof in the church. As Christians, we are called to be Ambassadors of Christ. We are IN the world, but not of it. God clearly commands us to watch our speech! While in sermons, I believe it is perfectly effective to delve into contemporary life situations using words that everyone can relate to, to prove a point and to make scripture more real and relatable…however, when a Pastor or anyone in church leadership chooses to engage in “hip or modern vernacular” to make a illuminate a message, he/she should use wisdom, or risk the possibility of becoming a stumbling block. Usage of any word that mimics cussing should be verboten. Ephesians 4:29 makes it very clear.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. (NIV)
Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God’s favor) to those who hear it. (AMP)
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (KJV)
I believe we should be less concerned with being called old fashioned, un-hip or un-cool, and more concerned about being obedient to God’s Word and not compromising.

Joe

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:47 am

I love this mentality, not.
“You’re all missing the point that it’s God’s place to judge. ~ * ~ Not Yours ~ * ~. ”
If we are to hold each other accountable and encourage, we need to know what the boundaries are. Therefore, we MUST judge. The quote above is that of a coward unwilling to take a stand.
The comments here otherwise have been right on target. We cannnot cave to societal pressure to do or speak evil. Romans 12:2
Have the courage to stand up for what is right. Yes, learn some vocabulary and teach our children how to express themselves without swearing to sound “cool.”
Normalization of evil is simply more evil and unacceptable.

AJ

posted November 8, 2010 at 9:25 am

All curse words are just words which mean things that we have other words for as well. I don’t see any difference in saying one word or another, only that the intent of my heart be right. In our family we didn’t make a big deal about cursing. It was clear that we were never to curse at each other and it was clear that we were to respect others and their beliefs and therefore that we did not curse outside the home if it would be disrespectful to those we were with. Otherwise, we just don’t see the difference between one word or another – like my black lab will attest, its all in the tone of voice.
I work with adolescents and adolescents curse. I can’t let that offend me if I want to show them the love of Christ. And that is the intent of my heart at all times, be Christ to others in the world. To me that means I don’t get caught up in judging, just loving. (I believe the only ones Christ criticized in his ministry were the leaders of the church, not sinners.)
God Bless!

Jennifer Ciesielski

posted November 8, 2010 at 9:30 am

To decide to use the Word,”Freaking” and/or repackaged words for an
actual cuss word…I believe is no different than using the word,”Fu*****” or various other ones as well! And also, as Christians
God’s Word says that we’re to move towards being different than how the Worldly system views things! We are to make such an impact for
Jesus Christ that there is a definate difference! If we are going
around saying “Freaking” and other such words…Then how exactly do we expect to reach others,When we’ve got one foot in the Worldly Views and the other with God? It is like Water and Oil…”Water and Oil won’t mix…”They are actually opposing forces!” Also, there is
too much Compromise going on these days to the point that to the World,”The Churches are Appearing to be no different than the World and also there the adaptation of thinking that to reach someone else for the Cause of Jesus Christ…that we use the World’s word lingo to fit in with others.If we are to represent every aspect of what God’s Word sets the example for us to live by,then…”It is time to be Real and True to the ONE that we’re really supposed to Live For,Serve and follow after.If we can’t be Real…Then what are we doing? If there is any sign of False concepts…Then,it is time for a re-evaluation concerning the matter of the heart.

David

posted November 8, 2010 at 9:35 am

Why should we modify our views of what is “right/wrong”, just because of the large number of people (even some christians)feel that it is (NOW) OK. And… if it is OK, why has it taken so long for us to embrace of discover it? Believers should stay the course…We should not change because people change! Jesus NEVER changes. Hebrews 13:8.

Shad

posted November 8, 2010 at 9:39 am

Just think of what curses bring into your life be they any foul word. What you spew out of your mouth can not be taken back. That being said we are human and as such prone to such faults. We all must be aware of what we say and how we say it, myself included. The b attitudes should apply before we dig ourselves a hole we can not get out of. May you all be blessed because you are a blessing.

Rev Terry

posted November 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

The Bible tells us to lay aside all filthiness and naughtiness, we certainly are to be examples of Him wherever we go, inside our homes or out. Words are the way in which we communicate, having a variety of meaning. When we substitute a word for a like unexceptable word, and in your heart, you know the substitution is for the curse word, you may as well have used the curse word. You are not being an example of the transforming power of God in your life which cleans your vocabulary. The liberal world in which we live, wants us to be tolerant of all types of unacceptable behaviors. i.e. promiscuity is a good word but it is still adultery or fornication in the eyes of God. We can make sin ok and as pretty as you can paint it with your words, but God knows your heart, and sin is still sin, regardless how you paint it.

GOD'S FRONT LINE WARRIOR

posted November 8, 2010 at 11:09 am

GOD JUDGES OUR HEARTS, NOT OUR MOUTHS! DID NOT PETER CURSE AND TAKE A MAN’S EAR OFF AND JESUS HAD TO PICK IT UP AND PUT IT BACK ON THE MAN? THIS “HOLY-THAN-THOU” THING REALLY GOES TO FAR. GOD SAYS “COME AS YOU ARE” HE ACCEPTS US AS WE ARE, UNCONDITONALLY. IT IS MAN WHOM DOES ALL THIS JUDGING, NOT GOD. NO MAN CAN JUDGE ME, ONLY GOD! WHEN YOU ARE GOD’S, HE DEALS ONE-ON-ONE WITH YOU, HE SENDS NOBODY ELSE. AND IF THERE IS A PROBLEM, YOU WILL STAND BEFORE GOD FOR IT!
God IS LOVE! Enjoy your LIFE!!!

Mercee

posted November 8, 2010 at 11:54 am

You are right. God does judge our hearts. God says that out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. So if you have curse words (or replacement curse words) coming out of your mouth, they’re in your heart first.
As for Peter cursing and cutting off the man’s ear, Jesus’ very actions of fixing this says Peter’s behavior was not Christlike. After Jesus’ resurrection, Peter was a changed man. If we are not changing to be more like Jesus, then we are not following Jesus. You must deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Jesus, or you cannot be his disciple. If you do not deny your ways (cursing in this case) you cannot be his disciple.
As for judging, wouldn’t you rather be warned about the ditch than allowed to fall into it? There are legitimate cases of being judgmental. However, many times this phrasing is used to excuse immature Christian behavior.
It takes guts to be separate from the world. Christians who try to fit in with the world are cowards. Therefore, they are not Christians.

Egidia

posted November 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm

God definitely does judge our words. There are many verses in the Bible on the importance of what we speak with our mouths. See some below:
“But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” (Mat. 12:36-37)
“In all things showing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine showing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.” (Titus 2:7-8)
“The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks” (Luke 6:45).
“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” (Ephesians 4:29)
“For, whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.” (I Peter 3:10)
“With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.” (James 3:9-12)

Dottie W

posted November 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Perhaps we think that adding words to a simple yes or no statement give it added strength, power or emphasis. It doesn’t. A simple no or no way should suffice. There is no need to add any words extra between no and way. Extra words only dilute the strength of the statement. Do you think maybe God knew something when he commented Let your Yes be Yes and you No, No!

Joe

posted November 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Frickin’, freakin’…they’re both a replacement of the “eff” word. You know it, and I know it. It’s like saying, Oh my gosh! Innocent? Maybe, but Satan is a tricky guy and has been working long and hard to screw things up. I just feel this is another victory for Satan and his boys. I’d find another word to use, just in case. Just my personal opinion, I could be wrong.

Joe

posted November 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Dottie W.
You hit the frickin’ nail on the Gosh Darn head.
Is it the “eff” word? …. is it God D&#N?! You be the judge.

Christopher Lloyd

posted November 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm

God is done judging…he judged Jesus…you are either in Christ or not…dead or alive…if alive then live in freedom…stop arguing about words…your arguing will lead to nothing…while your freedom just might draw someone out of death into life.

howard

posted November 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm

The Bible has a lot to say about speech, but using four letter words isn’t discussed. If it’s wrong to say “s@@t”, then it’s wrong to say “dung” because it’s the same thing. Same for “p@ss”; it would have to be wrong to say “urine”. But the Bible DOES use those words because there’s NOTHING wrong with them. What the Bible DOES say about speech is that you shouldn’t curse people and to say “s@@t” doesn’t curse anyone. It also says your speech shouldn’t be “corrupt” and if four letter words fall into the category of “cursing” then the Bible violates it’s own teachings on the subject. You have to be careful not to impose cultural “morality” on the Bible, to replace the Bible with the doctrines of men and then give them the weight of scripture. And when you say that I cannot use “four letter” words, you are doing just that.

thomas

posted November 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm

so we have people saying they are not judging others, that is Gods work. BUT then in the next line say the person is sinning because the words are unclean. So you just judged some ones heart. You dont know if in their heart they were actually thinking of the cuss word instead. I use freaking in place of stupid due to I don’t like the word stupid cuz I had a freind that was mildly retarded and people called him stupid. There for who has the right to say what my heart means except for God. Not once would I use the word and mean the eff word.
So should we re-write the Bible and get rid of the word “ass” or “jackass”. On the farm I still hear them same jackass for the donkey and call a femal dog a bitch. Because some idiot decided to refer to some one else as a stubborn jackass, now I cant use it in the correct format with out being judged. How many of you have allowed your children to watch the movie Shrek… he calls the donkey a jackass……… but I guess that is ok because of the text it was used in?
The Bible is not to argue over, this is petty compared to the end picture. We should be out producing fruit of the Lord and building UP the body of Christ rather than bashing people for the words they use. If a person has received Christ, I beleive, they will stop using profanity because Christ has cleaned their soul. It may take years but it will happen as long as they stay focused on Christ. They aren’t going to stop because a bunch people on a blog said it was wrong. Plant the seed and let Jesus take over.
According to the Bible we all are sinners, that means we ALL sin. So what is making your sin better than the person next to you that says freaking. If thats the worst they are doing then they are doing good. By the way, what is the sin YOU are hiding. Ask your self.
I love you all and God Bless.

Linda-Nana BumbleBee

posted November 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I don’t think of myself as an “older stodgy legalists” by any means, but in my thought process on this, “I DON’T THINK WE SHOULD EVER COMPROMISE THE STRAIGHT/NARROW WHEN THE INNOSENSE OF MINDS THAT WE NEED TO TEACH/EDUCATE GODS ABSOLUTE TRUTHS TO…WE COMPROMISE IN THIS CURSING AREA & WE ARE TEACHING THEM TO COMPROMISE IN OTHER AREAS…WORK OF THE DEVIL I THINK & HE DOESN’T NEED ANY ADDITIONAL ADVOCATES…he DOES JUST FINE ON HIS OWN SHADING THIS WORLD W/COMPROMISING GRAY AREAS”….JUSTIFICATION COMPROMISES “ACCOUNTABILITY” EVERY ONE OF US HAS TO WALK OUT OUR OWN JOURNEYS, BUT I DON’T REMEMBER ONCE READING WHERE “JESUS” EVER COMPROMISED IN ANY AREA…IF IT LOOKS, ACTS & TALKS LIKE A DUCK (SO TO SPEACK…IT IS A DUCK) DON’T COMPROMISE YOUNG PEOPLE…KEEP IT REAL @ ALL TIMES FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR LIFE…I SAY THIS OUT OF LOVE & TOTAL OBEDIANCE TO GOD…WE ARE IN THIS WORLD BUT “NOT OF IT!!!!”!!!!ROMANS 12:2 so please never compromise & “go around GOD”…doesn’t work…GOD SAYS NOT TO CUSS!!! DO NOT CUSS…
BUT WHO AM I??? ONLY GOD KNOWS…
SOS=Stripped Of Self…as CHRIST STRIPPED HIMSELF & HIS DIGNITY FOR US ALL…
Psalm 14:1
John 3:16
HOSEA 4:6
Isaiah 53:5
Isaiah 54:17
RROMANS 12:2
HOSEA 4:6

paul

posted November 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Read Colossians 3:8
It’s covered. Don’t do it. The word Freakin is a substitute for the curse word.
God’s judged it already. Increase your vocabulary so you won’t swear directly or indirectly.

Tom Brown

posted November 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm

That’s cop out,the word says:A word fitly spoken is like apples
of gold in pictures of silver. Prov 25:11.There are so many of
my friend’s that say they are Christans that cuss Iam shocked
but the word you shall know them by there fruits.They still have
the old man & don’t let go of the worly wasy of a sinner.I MYSELF
got mad & cussed & God put me under convication Iasked fogiveness
to God & the person I talked to.I belive you need to know the coviction of the lord,society says if it makes you feel good do it.
I think that Hollyness is not taught in the churche’s today,
I talked to a former pastor ounce & he said that 90% of the people
in the church was on the fence.There is something wrong with this
picture.Also my friend say one night in his church 20 people
came down to accept the Lord & they were church members.I really
have a hard time with this eiather you are or your not.When
you cuss that’s a stab in Christ side,its like a Rose on the ground
& you step on it. Thanks T Brown

g

posted November 8, 2010 at 3:16 pm

“When a pastor uses “freaking” from the pulpit or in his blog he expects to get some disgruntled feedback from some older stodgy legalists, but he considers this minor collateral damage compared to the young souls he will influence for Christ by speaking their language. Dawg.”
As is typical, Christianity in America doesn’t try to set an example of a higher and more noble place. As is usual Christianity sinks to the ‘lowest common denominator’ and gives the new generation nothing lofty to aspire to. I really don’t believe the Apostle Paul, when adopting some mode of communication to communicate to whatever culture he was dealing with lost the more lofty and noble loveliness of God’s Holiness.
All this cheap, unlearned, vernacular, does is to strengthen ignorance and poor communication skills. It does have the effect of driving the ‘Bumper Sticker, Tee-shirt iron on’ cheap Christian merchandise industry. But this is another example of why Christianity is a cheap imitator of Art, Music, science etc. No more Michael-Angelos, no more J.S. Bachs, no more Newtons, just cheap, run of the mill gutter language and values.

Valerie

posted November 8, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Whoah. Where did all these commenters come from? Did this blog post get featured on some biblical purity ladyhood site? Why don’t you guys all hop on over to the dry-humping post and leave some comments there?

E.

posted November 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Real Christian don’t Cuss, what comes-proceeds out of a mans mouth defiles him.
There is power in the spoken word. The English language allows means to have more than one word. However, cussing is never acceptable. We are called to be in the world but not of the world. When is a Diamond not a diamond, when it is a fake. Christians are call to walk as Christ walked, to be an image of GOD. What comes out of a man mouth is what defile him.

Glenn

posted November 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Haha @Valerie. I was thinking the exact same thing.
Linda-Nana BumbleBee said, “BUT I DON’T REMEMBER ONCE READING WHERE “JESUS” EVER COMPROMISED IN ANY AREA…IF IT LOOKS, ACTS & TALKS LIKE A DUCK (SO TO SPEACK…IT IS A DUCK)”
Let’s see… he compromised on the whole working on the Sabbath thing. Then there’s hanging out with Samaritans and other “unclean” people. He dined regularly with sinners. He looked, acted, and talked like… a blasphemer. So to speack.
Just saying. He freaking slapped cultural norms in the a$$.
Captcha: “isserity these” – perhaps that is GODS (or “GOD’S”?) approval of my comment.

Rick Beinke

posted November 8, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Jesus said “Let your yes be yes and your no be no”..He was talking about how our tongues cause us trouble..to color your speech with unnecessary adjectives refutes the humility of speech Jesus sought.

g

posted November 8, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Glen, your argument doesn’t make sense.
stupidity, vulgar language, divorce, unmitigated consumerism, profanity, IS the CULTURAL norm. How is acting, talking and indulging in the CULTURAL NORM a slap in the face of the cultural NORM?????
How is Valerie’s vulgar insult slapping the cultural norm??
All Valerie’s vulgar and base insult demonstrates is that she is vulgar and base, I really don’t get a sense of God’s love and mercy from it.
But then again maybe God and Jesus are really just vulgar and base egocentric consumer-hores who have served their purpose and now it’s time to adopt rational atheism which doesn’t stoop to this crass and vile attacks while professing to have agape.
Pastors can talk all they want with all the vulgarities they feel they need to win the sinners (like that will happen). I do what very few people do, I turn my radio off and never go to their churches.
The fact that the church has to get more political in order to enforce it’s ‘values’ is a sign that it has lost it’s understanding of where it’s power is despite becoming more ‘hip’in language and dress and fully joining in in the high divorce statistics and unwed pregnancies, and STD’s and ,well, basically, other than thier Strident hate speeches against those who don’t accept their teachings, you really can’t tell the difference between the Christian and non-Christian, except maybe that the non-Christians seem a little more civil, unlike you and Valorie.

Valerie

posted November 8, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Again I ask the question G, where did you guys all come from? How did you all find this site? You might want to check out some of the other posts, as the “saying freaking” post is one of the relatively more benign posts on this blog. That was the point I was trying to make. I’m sorry you consider me vulgar. You’d probably really like me if you got to know me.

stephanie drury

posted November 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Wow, G. How is Valerie making a vulgar insult?
The love of Christ is just pouring off you, G. (Not actually.)

Valerie

posted November 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Stephy. :-)

Linda

posted November 8, 2010 at 6:28 pm

New International Version (©1984)
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.
How we speak is a matter of the heart-Out of us should flow “living waters”. Jesus was the purest of the pure in heaven and on earth. Yes He did dine with all types of you and me’s. He was no respecter of persons. But He never melded in to the culture so to speak. Jesus was who He was and He didn’t need to pretend to look and sound like the culture around Him…to win the hearts of the lost. Pastors and other church leaders may not go to hell for cussing…lol but sometimes if we are truly walking in the dust of the Rabbi, the God who created each and every one of us we may come to a realization that Jesus stayed true to the Father… and and as a result of wanting to please His Father would more than likely choose the high road.

g

posted November 8, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Valorie,
have no doubt that if i knew you I would like you..it is my nature to like people and I can’t even think of one person I don’t like. debate and dispute do not automatically (for me anyway) neccessitate dislike for the one I am debating or disputing.
Probably. the ‘dry hump’ post reference is what did it for me. I don’t know your ‘picture’ of ‘dry hump’ may be different than mine. But growing up it had sexual connotation (painful at that) so that is how I read it. So for me that seemed a bit tasteless.
Now, as far as what we say: I am no Puritan in my speech though I would like to be. I struggle with saying things when I am angry that are inappropriate and I know it and deal with it on a regular basis. A long time ago I had to start praying on a regular basis ;Lord, set a guard over the door of my lips” And I pray and struggle with it. Why?
It is not now, nor ever was about trying to be a goody-goody. I have learned the hard way what bad speech can do. Helped to end my marriage, helped me get fired. Helped people think I was just a crass hateful person.
I have learned a couple of things from the Lord about speech. a couple of years ago while I was away from the Lord I developed a bad habit of using the Lord’s name in vain but since I was convinced God wasn’t real at the time, I didn’t care. Needless to say, after God got my attention and brought me back. as I would slip and use the Lord’s name in vain I heard a still small voice say; Why do you want G*d to d*mn this frustrating situation and make it worse. Wouldn’t this situation be better if God Blessed it??”
Since that time, in frustrating and bad circumstances I try to reach for the ‘blessing phrase and not the cursing phrase. I still slip, but am quick to repent and say ‘Lord. please don’t d*mn this situation , it is already that. Lord bless this situation and redeem it”
Makes a big difference.
The other thing I noticed, is that I say God bless you to people regularly. I work In a University and deal with Teens and post-teens, and not only do I not talk like them, I talk with phrases full of blessing and care, and ‘I’ll pray for your situation”. This is a secular State University. And guess what, not only do they not ‘turn me off, tune me out because i don’t cuss or talk hip, I can’t tell you of the many times I get ,thank you, and see tears in their eyes because i show love and care and bless them and use all that old Biblical blessing stuff backed by God’s love and care.
They seek me out, they come to me and talk to me, they send invites to friend on facebook.
when they cuss or swear, I don’t correct or say ‘You shouldn’t say that yada yada, But I just continue in blessing them and guess what many of them start saying God bless you back to me!
So I don’t know, is that the cultural norm? I don’t know, all I know is My speech has caused them to trust me even though I don’t talk like they do.

Craig O.

posted November 8, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Where does one’s holiness fit into such crass language? I thought a real Christians life was supposed to be in persuit of holiness and sanctification?
It’s obvious the Holy Spirit is not welcome in anyone who has no problem in coming as close to the world as they can while still hanging on to their Salvation, if they were ever saved to begin with. Too many think they can have fire insurance and still live however they please and offend anyone they please. If God has changed your life then where’s the proof? Are there any movies or TV that is off base today or is all that acceptable too?
Remember only the Holy will see God. To be Holy is to be separate. If the line of that seperation is blurry then how can men find the light? If your light is dim or even dark, then how great is that darkness? Does God have the power to clean us up or not? Our freedom in Christ is not to be used as a cloak to see how close we can get to the world while still calling ourselves Christians. This is what Jesus hates more than anything. At best this is a lukewarm faith. If salt loses it’s flavor it is thrown out and good for nothing.

Clearly Crazy Mike

posted November 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm

This comment thread certainly got lively, didn’t it?
Let me get this straight: refraining from using socially-defined cuss-words out of a (probably misguided) desire to be “cool” yet polite and inoffensive is bad, but…
Suddenly mass-trolling a comment board with Bible verses quoted out of context in an attempt to stack rules and regulations on people that Jesus would really like to be free is a perfectly acceptable use of language?
Good to know.

Craig O.

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Is it only out of context when we don’t like what it says? The context of the conversation is off color language that “Christians” use.
Col: 3:8: But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth.
James 3:8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.
Can’t we handle the truth? This isn’t about rules, it’s about holiness. Would Jesus use the word freakin? No way, no how, not ever. What ever the cuss words of his day were he never used and he didn’t use substitutes either. Have we no shame?

stephanie drury

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Y’all are freaking commenting like crazy. (See what I did there?)

Linda

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Go Valorie…and Felicia…and others. It’s not that we can’t cuss…and that we don’t have the freedom to express ourselves through cussing. It simply really boils down to not wanting to cuss. It just doesnt’ feel right in our spirits. I can’t speak for others and it is not my right to enforce my standards on others. I learned that a long time ago. There is no right or wrong about cussing…but if you interpret the words Felicia shared as well as others, it does give you a glimpse into the heart of Christ about the issue. Everybodies walk with Christ is exactly that; their own walk with God. Designed specifically by God for each individual. We can stand back and dictate how we think God should grow this one or that one. Bottom line is He’ll do it, He’ll do it His way…He will get the hearts of His kids. What we are today and how we might think 10 years from now may be totally different and hugely effected by that relationship we’ve developed over the years with Jesus. Like Jesus lived and loved to please His Father…Gods kids will also live and love to please Jesus.

Bill

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Out of curiosity, how many of you folks leaving these freaky comments think this post is advocating that Christians should cuss? Is that what the panty-bundling is about? Because the post doesn’t say that. It just makes an observation about euphansism among Evangelicals.
Personally, I sure am glad God loves me, and glad for the day I realized it. These days, if I happen to cuss in front of God, I’m actually glad for that, too..because I’m living with him now in a way where he takes my flaws rather than in a way that makes me hide them from him just because some stranger on the Internet or in a pulpit quoted some verse. Suddenly we have something to have a conversation about, and it’s funny how seldom the word “holiness” comes into it now than before.

Valerie

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm

G, this is the post to which I was referring: http://blog.beliefnet.com/stuffchristianculturelikes/2010/11/15-dry-humping.html
Again, where did all you people come from? How did you find this site?

Valerie

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:35 pm

And again, why are you guys not all over the dry-humping post?

Linda

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Holiness…if we truly understand what holy is then I guess we’d have something else more important to blog about. Any amens? Now that is a gynormous topic. Cussing would truly get lost in there somewhere.

g

posted November 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Again, where did all you people come from? How did you find this site?
Valorie, I can’t speak for others but I get Belief net as a daily e-mail in my inbox and this site and post is the on the page. so this link and others on Belief net blogs comes daily and directly to me.
As far as Euphemisms, again, ‘Freaking’ is a euphemism among other things for ‘F***ing’. So, you didn’t say it..but it is linked in many peoples minds to ‘Freaking’ and the thought goes there. But hey, that’s not the speaker’s responsibility is it’?
And for Bill: the reason the thing about cussing came up is because the Beleif net daily reading that comes to my inbox had this link under the title: “Should Christians CUSS” ? So take it up with Beliefnet. They whipped up this frenzy by thier hyping this link as ‘SHOULD CHRISTIANS CUSS”?
And I don’t think it is healthy for you to worry about others peoples panties, bundled or not>

shirley

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:28 pm

A ridiculous post and not worth responding to.

Bill

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Haha! Worrying about other people’s panties is a national religious past-time.
Interesting about the Beliefnet email. Nothing stirs up traffic like a well-worded misrepresentation.
But I’m still curious. We all read the entry, right? It’s remarkably objective. It’s fascinating how we all can read into it what we want to hear. And if we can do that to a little blog entry, I wonder how much we do that to our study of scripture.

Glenn

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:41 pm

G,
This blog is all about questioning cultural norms. In this blog’s context, the cultural norms are “Christian culture.” As someone who has grown up in Christian Culture myself, one of the norm behaviors is “NOT cussing.” I was suggesting that perhaps we (Christians) have lifted up these taboo words (freaking, fucking, shoot, shit, etc) and have spent too much time running away from words for fear that the specific combination of syllables hold some intrinsic evil. Everyone has clearly made the point that it’s the attitude, not the words. I agree. I’m not defending cussing or “fake” cussing. I’m saying, why do get in such a huff about it one way or the other? Why are we upset by words at all? Why are we not more concerned with the things Christ was concerned with?

Glenn

posted November 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm

“Worrying about other people’s panties is a national religious past-time.”
HA! Nailed it.
[clicking the “like” button on Bill’s entire post]
side note: Stephy, could we get that feature where you can rate people’s responses, so I can wade through all of the inane repetitive posts in the future?

g

posted November 8, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Bill true, Panty bundling worries are a national pastime.
But yes, the Belief net post was not only titled ‘Should Christians cuss’ there was a little caveat linking the word ‘Freakin’ to cussing by beliefnet. So in clicking on the link one came here with the expection that the question was indeed. should Christians cuss?.
But, from my very first post. I am more saddened by the dumbing down of Christian ‘anything, art, music, speech. literature. All the greatest stuff tends to not be Christian anymore. Where are the S.S Lewis’s. the Tolkien’s, the Bach’s, the Isaac Newton’s, the Martin Luther’s…???
I really don’t care what a pastor or evangelist wants to say..F word or not if they feel that it is what God called them to do..I am not the judge.
Just based on the opposition I see towards the church and it’s ministers from the ‘world’ I don’t see their criticism as regecting Christ as much as I see rejecting ‘Fast Food’ hip hop surfer dude Jesus’ which to the world beyond the borders of ConsuMERICA, is totally meaningless and without merit.

Lou

posted November 8, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Is it really so bad to use substitutes for real cuss words? And where do you draw the line? At a church I went to in years past, we had a discussion on this topic. Not about substitutions for the eff word, but some way milder ones. A couple of (self-righteous?) ladies complained that “When people say ‘gosh’ they really mean ‘God'” and “When people say ‘gee’they really mean ‘Jesus'”. My response? How do you really know what someone else is thinking? On God and that person know what she/he is thinking. Judge not lest you be judged. Isn’t it better to make up some non-cuss words than to use the actual things?

Lou

posted November 8, 2010 at 9:15 pm

PS. Those two women I mentioned above have since gone home to the Lord, so they now stand corrected on their judgements.

Josie

posted November 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I don’t totally agree with using “Slang” of any kind although I haven’t totally broke the habit. There are for 1 no written records of Jesus…OR the apostles using any such language`not even one…I too wonder about this but I lean tword “it is not Godly, & should be avoided”

Pastor Jim

posted November 9, 2010 at 2:55 am

Josie,
Actually Jesus used some of the worst profanity of his time. Referring to people as “swine” (unclean animals), “whited sepulchers” (tombs), “vipers” (synonymous with devils), fornicators and adulterers (fuckers) were the worst things one could call someone.

SisPJ

posted November 9, 2010 at 7:09 am

Since it’s been asked where we’ve come from, I must say I’ve been here for a couple of years with Beliefnet. No topic has caught me eye like this one, and we can respond to all or just some of the topics as we so chose. I am a child of God by faith in Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:26) and I choose to take God at His Word and obey Him. God takes pleasure and joy in those who chose to follow Him and not the ways of the world or our own ways. I have cast off the old person I used to be (who cursed and used language unbecoming of Christ) and now have become a new creature in Christ.
We who are in the body of Christ should judge those who say they are Christians because there are many who SAY they are Christians but are not FOLLOWING Christ (see 1 Corithians 5:12-13). There are too many false prophets, teachers, bishops, preachers, etc. among us trying to get us to compromise on the Word and lead us astray. We must call out these “wolves in sheep clothing” and put them from among us (if they are not willing to be led by God and His Spirit in ALL righteousness and holiness) in an attempt to save them in the day of the Lord (see 1 Corithians 5).
If we are led by God’s Spirit, we will not practice or condone sin, not to mention allow filthiness to come out of our mouth. If you are unsure of what constitutes filthiness, then don’t ask another human. Pray and ask God and then be ready for the answer He gives you. We must remember that God works through man, so be ready for the answer if God doesn’t answer you in a dream or vision, but through a human being. As Christians, if we sin, we will be immediately convicted by the Holy Spirit and will ask God (and the Person(s)) for forgiveness. Godly sorrow works repentence. We can’t be perfect in our flesh (for in the flesh dwells no good thing) but we can be perfect toward God in our heart (which is what God is looking at). Jesus said be ye therefore perfect even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect (Matthew 5:48). This is a matter of the heart. God HATES sin and no sin will enter heaven. Therefore WE must come to hate all sin. God knows where we stand in relation to His high standards and we all should have a desire to be right with Him if we want to enter into HIS home (Heaven). Think about it: you wouldn’t allow just ANYBODY into YOUR home, so why do we think God is going to be any different about who He allows into His home.
If we will humble ourselves, pray and seek GOD for ourselves, allow Him to do a perfect work in us and turn from all sin (the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and pride of life, 1 John 2:15-17), and realize that we must suffer with Jesus in order to reign with Him, then we will be on the narrow path that leads to everlasting life in Christ Jesus.

Nedia Bryant

posted November 9, 2010 at 8:29 am

The Bible speaks of guile and I beleive this is referring to foul language. In Psalms 34:13 [KJV] It said Keep thy tongue from evil,and thy lips from speaking guile. St. John 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed in whom is no guile. 1Peter 3:10 For He that will love life, And see good days, Let him refrain his tongue from evil,And his lips that they speak no guile. God has given believers a guide to follow and especially the Ministers & Bishops of the Lord. Our spirits are in subjection to us or in other words we have authority over our tongues to watch what it speaks. Some will say that guile means deceit, which is correct, but if a minister has to use foul language when he is ministering to his people or in his pulpit then he is being deceitful. We can say that is old time teaching, but if we continue on in our sins, then God will spit us out of his mouth. God doesn,t condone sin.

John

posted November 9, 2010 at 9:25 am

Christianity is not a popularity contest that has to stay current with the worldly aspects of this life. The accepted meaning of the word (whether by the youth or the older followers) is one way of measuring the acceptabilty of a word the other is what you have in your heart and mind when using this “substitute” word.
I had a friend when I was a teenager that replaced a cuss word with the term “horse feathers”, I ask him if he still felt the same emotions as when he used the cuss word… If so you are still cussing. I was about 16 at the time.
It’s about time our younger Christians (true believers, not just lip service) stand up and say enough is enough!!! Jesus never compromised the gospel for anything or anyone.
Sorry this word may be popular with the younger generation but it is a worldly word and not acceptable for a Christian to use in private or publicly.

Alisa Hawkins

posted November 9, 2010 at 10:08 am

Well if you read in Psalms, you’ll find a passage that says, “Come and see the works of God. He is terrible in his works.” (paraphrased) It wasn’t that God was bad at it, but using terrible is comparable to kids now saying things are “sick with it” or “bad” to mean that they are really good, great, and awesome.

Alisa Hawkins

posted November 9, 2010 at 10:14 am

To be without guile is to be free of deceit, cunning, hypocrisy, and dishonesty in thought or action. To beguile is to deceive or lead astray, as Lucifer beguiled Eve in the Garden of Eden. A person without guile is a person of innocence, honest intent, and pure motives, whose life reflects the simple practice of conforming his daily actions to principles of integrity.
Answers.com Response

Marilyn

posted November 9, 2010 at 10:19 am

We are told to be slow to speak and to not judge because we are not perfect either. Words have different meanings throughout the years and in different cultures. If someones language offends you, make sure you examine your tongue and you may not use the same words but you may gossip or say hurtful things. There are cuss words that I do not like to hear, and I have tried to teach my children not to use slang cuss words, but what really offends me, is when people take the Lords name in vain. There is no gray area there!

Bro Lee

posted November 9, 2010 at 10:25 am

SisPJ you hit the nail on the head in every aspect… Of course we are not to judge others but the bible says we would know them by their fruits. However comment of Pastor Jim, I won’t even say Pastor!
How vexing is what you have said. Woe to him that scatter my sheep! You’re comment is discusting and reminds me of Satan in the garden if Eden Explaining to Eve “oh You won’t surely die!”. Living saved isn’t always easy, don’t mislead the saints…… :-(

stephanie drury

posted November 9, 2010 at 10:41 am

What do y’all think about Paul using the Greek “scubula” which was the equivalent of “shit,” which is commonly translated into the politer “loss” (where he said “I count all things as loss compared to the glory that will be revealed to me in Christ Jesus”)?
Now that will surely throw Christian culture into a quandry. Hmm, I smell a new post coming on.

Marla

posted November 9, 2010 at 10:54 am

How about NO SUBSTITUTIONS!!!

stephanie drury

posted November 9, 2010 at 11:00 am

If we make a rule such as “NO SUBSTITUTIONS” then we become Pharisees. Jesus didn’t make such a rule.

Big Momma

posted November 9, 2010 at 11:19 am

Come out from among them said the Lord and touch not that unclean thing! Unclean is anything that feeds that old man; which should be crucified in Christ. Anything that comes from the world is sensual and devilish. That is why the Lord says we are in this world but not of this world; so we cannot be govern by what they say and please God. God is looking at our spirit, what is our motivation or intent for doing what we do; or saying what we say. I am keeping the letter of the law because I didn’t say it the way the world says it; but my spirit said it all, my spirit man actually swore and cussed; I tried to clean it up; with words of man wisdom; that wisdom that comes from beneath but; in the eyes of God it was not acceptable; we cannot fool God; He is all knowing! There is a difference between light and darkness! There is no gray areas in God; we all must press to follow the True Light for in it there is no darkness at all; so we can go on to perfection! God Bless

Marvin Perdue

posted November 9, 2010 at 11:33 am

People who are not Christian and are looking for what we do wrong are always watching our actions and listening to our speach. All this time, they are looking for faults and reasons to justify their not being or wanting to believe in Christ as our saviour. If you are acting and/or speaking in ways they know as vulgar or wrong; you are giving them all the more ammunition they need or want to continue as they are and call Christians a bunch of hipocrits.
For many years, people who claimed to be Christian and acted like they weren’t kept me from wanting anything to do with them. We should always want to behave and genuinely show character that reflects that of our Lord Jesus. Substituting one vulgarity for another is not something our Lord would ask us to do.
IS IT?
Marvin

Your Name Dag

posted November 9, 2010 at 11:39 am

Way to go, Marvin
Remember Christ and “you viper’s brood?” I’d not like to translate that into modern day English in front of my pastor.

BDBoy

posted November 9, 2010 at 12:45 pm

In my opinion, Using the word “freakin’ puts a Christian in an odd position. On one hand, when a Christian says, freakin”, in front of other Christians, it’s like saying, “Hey look at me, I’m cool because I can use a word that’s really pushing the boundaries. On the other hand, a Christian using this same word with non-Christians, might be looked on as an idiot that doesn’t have the balls to say the real thing.

Jona

posted November 9, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I freaking LOVED Shirley’s comment up there.
This post is not worth a comment! Wait, I just commented. Shit!

NightHawk7

posted November 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I understand why people would get offended by this word,but to tell you the Truth I actually got delivered off of sware words by choosing other words to respond myself better or worse,yes the Holy Spirit and the very word of God can cleanse our hearts,But if many people out there are to weak to renew there mind daily I actually in courage substituted words. However the word freaking should never and I mean never be used together with the things of God specially on a pulpit you wouldn’t use the f word with God up there would you? so lets renew our minds and hearts accordingly lets reach out to the youth in Truth and not perversions of the flesh. May all be blessed and less stressed. I don’t understand where BigMommas coming from with her spirit man cussing cause Gods spirit cannot be corrupted so that was something else she was speaking or battling. Our mouths also may be close to God as some preachers teach on the pulpit with clean words however their hearts are far from God,go figure…..sad. Well Pray for everyone in need and always love as Jesus loves unconditionally

Annette

posted November 9, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I don’t think anyone, especially a Christian, should use the word freaking because it is only a substution for the other “F’ word. It should never be used in the same sentence with our Lord’s Name. I don’t care how “hip” or “cool” some may believe it to be.

kathl6556

posted November 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Using “swear” words or substitute words doesn’t make any difference. It is the “INTENT’ that matters. Yes, some words are more socially offensive than others, but really, they are just words after all. They mean nothing without ‘INTENT”.
If someone is angry and says “SHOOT”, is the intent any different then it is if they were to have said “sh-t”? No, it isn’t. ‘Darn-it’ vs ‘D-mn-it’, ‘freaking’ vs ‘the f-word’, ‘bugger vs ‘b-tch’, etc, etc, etc…. The use of ‘any word’ spoken in anger or with ill-intent is still a curse. When we talk, as Christians, we need to take in consideration our intent, not just our words.
Now, saying this, I must admit, that this is a battle that I myself continue to struggle with everyday. It is a battle that I can only hope to win ‘one word at a time’.

Mary

posted November 9, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I must be really dumb or else very inattentive to what I hear others say. Until I read this blog and the interesting comments which follow it I never thought of the “f” word when I heard someone say, “freaking”.
I simply got the point of what was being said, ignoring the adjectives
whatever they were.
I listen to the substance of what someone is saying, the point they are trying to make and do not spend anytime trying to figure out what they mean by any derogatory adjectives they may use.

Regina

posted November 9, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I agree with Mary. Although I know others may use it derogatively. I would not associate freaking with the “f” word. My understanding is that, someone can be freaded out by some thing. This would be in the context of something being weird or scarry. So if something is freaking, in my book it would be the same uncomfortable. (ie… walking at night in a dark part of town would freak me out. This is a freaking feeling. The “f” word can not be substituted in its place.
If you must use a substitute for that derogatory word try using “messed up” or “totally awesome”. If you are thinking bad thoughts than your replacement word is still just as bad. We must strive to change our thinking as well as our words.

lisa

posted November 9, 2010 at 9:16 pm

God looks at the heart; man tends to look at the outside image of a person. If someone is incensed with an evil thing and expresses that righteous indignation by swearing, is it really any different than what Christ did when He let rip a few choice explicatives such as “you white washed sepulchers!”, “gaping mouthed tombstones”, “Pharisees!” (used by Him as a very deragatory term), “as a tax collector” (used as an extreme deragatory reference back then), “as a dog” etc., etc., etc.
He, (and others), were talking about bad things, or things seen by others as bad, and He used bad language accordingly. He didn’t go around doing this every day, but He did do it. And when He was hungry and the fig tree refused to provide Him with the sustenance He needed so badly; what did He do? He cursed it… to the point of killing it.
“Samaritan” was about the worst swear word of the day back then, yet both religious and secular alike used it. I’m not recommending that we all go about swearing, and certainly not over nothing… but where a situation calls for it, we, like Christ, might give expression to it by letting a few choice words rip.
Verbal decorum should probably reign. That’s probably best for all involved. But given certain situations… :-o ?!

dah

posted November 9, 2010 at 11:34 pm

IF A PERSON FEELS THAT A WORD SHOULD NOT BE SPOKEN THEN THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH SAYING IT. ALL THIS SLANG THAT PEOPLE IS USING IS ONLY GETTING THE YOUNGER GENERATION PREPARED FOR A HARDER LIFE AHEAD. THATS WHY TODAY SO MANY DONT HAVE RESPECT BECAUSE THEY ARE JUST WONDERING IF WHAT IS BEING SAID AND DONE IS CHRISTIAN LIKE OR NOT . I BELIEVE IT ONLY TAKES COMMON SENSE. A SAVED PERSON KNOWS RIGHT FROM WRONG.BUT GOD KNOWS WE ARE ONLY HUMAN AND THAT MEANS WE ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TO MAKE MISTAKES AND ASK FOR FORGIVNESS.

g

posted November 10, 2010 at 1:58 am

Weird things>
1. Equating Jesus derogatory accusations of certain people with swearing and vulgar language. Not the same thing at all. Swearing using vulgar words is not the same as saying You Hypocrite, or you whitewashed sepulchre. What an absurd comparison.
2> Not equating Freaing or Friggin, with the other F word. Obviously many people from a different generation do. What is really odious is the ‘condescending sound of, “I don’t hear that ‘ and the implication that those they do somehow have lower standards
3. PEOPLE WHO TYPE IN ALL CAPS LIKE THEY ARE YELLING> WHAT DOES THIS MEAN THAT I THEY BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE SPEAKING BY THE AUTHORITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?? IT APPEARS MORE THAT THE TYPIST IS HOLDING A HUNDRED PUONDS OF THIER OWN EXCREMENT AND ARE ABOUT TO BUST OPEN! CALM DOWN!!
4. Snipes who, from the protection of their anonymity and ISP address hurl insults and profanities..for what purpose? Funny? Tough..like ‘Oh I ain’t afraid to type the F word..huh huh..I are special…duh..YEP you sure are Beavis!
5. People who question others who post here as if they are the particular owners of the blog. Wow , really got some ‘I’m the boss’ issues’
6. Posters who make up rules of what God wants with no scriptural back up at all…Like ”God looks at Intent’ well. seems there are a number of verses that specifically address the ‘You are responsible for what you say” and What you ‘say’ IS what you are and your intent Taming Your Tongue
Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Proverbs 21:23 ESV /
Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.
Proverbs 12:18 ESV /
There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.
These and other verses leave no question about ‘speech’ and not ‘Intent’
Bottom line..seems there is a verse about Man giving an account for every word he speaks to God on the day of Judgement.
So each here has to evaluate for themselves if their speech is going to be an embarrassment or a praise to them on the day of Judgement.

SisPJ

posted November 10, 2010 at 6:43 am

G
Awesome Word! Well said and enough said on this topic…on to the next topic. God’s Word and the Gospel of Jesus Christ will go forth.
May God bless those of us who won’t back down but will stand for righteousness, holiness, and the truth.

stephanie drury

posted November 10, 2010 at 9:43 am

There was a time when I’d have said everything g is saying. That’s why I’m so awesome at writing this blog.

Chrissy

posted November 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Dear people who had a link to this blog in your email,
Beliefnet has misguided you. No one here ever asked the question “Should Christians cuss?” The author of this blog never asks stupid questions. Most of the regular readers do not enjoy discussing what Christians should or should not do. We enjoy discussing what they do in general. One thing they like to do is discuss what christians should and should not do. See:
In summary, most of us believe christian culture is a shallow imitation of American culture. We find the methods of christian culture both hilarious and sad. Christ, however, does not play those shallow games, so most of us like him whether we have faith in him or not.
Just thought I should let ya’ll know that Beliefnet misrepresented the flavor of this blog. If you would like to get a more well rounded idea of what we are discussing, I suggest you dig through the archives. Some of you might really enjoy the content. Others of you will not enjoy it at all.
Sincerely,
Chrissy

Dan

posted November 14, 2010 at 8:37 am

I can’t quite grasp how Christians justify themselves by using replacement curse words. The thing about it is all curse words are a replacement for something else. Basically they took something innocent and made it a curse, ifmk (intercourse) = fuck = freak, scite (old english for dung) = shit = Shoot, etc. It is all the same so say what you mean.

Sandy

posted November 19, 2010 at 4:12 am

Older generation here, via Beliefnet.com, had to check this out since freakin caught my attention.
Seems inappropriate, demanding attention, regardless of cost.
You sure about this? I mean broadcasting it across your chest? Yeah, it is a substitute for the f word. Very “worldly”. Not pretty.

Carla

posted November 27, 2010 at 6:27 pm

AMEN Dan! It is all the same. Say what you mean. Or simply try to contain yourself and just don’t say it.

Abambagibus

posted November 29, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Golly ‘G’, : gadzooks, doggone it, I would never even blaspheme, not even in front of my partner whose insistence that freakin’ friggin’ can be fun can be fun. If a once and long ago cursèd word is at present nearly blessèd, … which is to say, made socially acceptable by the grace of the gracious multitude, … then the heretical basis of some of our orthodox holidays, a basis which more than several have vociferously lamented, should also be disposed of as once and long ago and relevant no longer. In other words, let us live in the present, … but not so much in the present that what was once and long ago and now no longer is bound to repeat itself with pungency [Santayana?], like the glutinously gluttonous overly stuffed taco now about to attack its devourer. Er .. excuse me, please, as I head to the head and the throne.

Billb923

posted February 15, 2011 at 11:56 am

Personally, I think the spirit of the Bible’s teaching (and what seems intuitively true to me) is that swearing is generally not constructive, and often harmful. So I avoid it.
But there are situations that just beg for a juicy adjective or two. Like when describing some particularly egregious evil, for example. Some things really are damned.
What cracks me up is when people censor words like ‘fuck’ and ‘shit’ even when just *talking about* them. I don’t understand this mindset at all, and I don’t see what it has to do with Christ in the least.

Pete

posted August 15, 2011 at 4:24 am

Mixing unholy fire withsacrted fire cost three priests their lives. God is not one who looks at grey. He judges black and white. I would that you were hot or cold but since you are lukewarm (grey0 I will vomit you out.