Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#169 Relevant pastor-speak

posted by Stephanie Drury
ron-burgundy.jpg

A current phenomenon in Christian culture is for church leaders to speak with a certain cadence and inflection. In the same way newscasters have their own industry-wide manner of speaking, so does Christian culture.

The church leader endeavors to speak with earnest approachability that is simultaneously sincere and authoritative. He doesn’t want your mind to wander. He is going to engage you. The gospel of Christ has captured people’s attention for like 2,000 years but he isn’t taking any chances. You’re going to pay attention to what he is saying, or at least to the fact that he’s saying it with the same cadence, tone and inflections as every other church leader and conference speaker.

You will observe this brand of pastor-speak in all occasions when the church leader or the aspiring church leader speaks in front of a group or into his webcam. He does not use it in normal chit-chat unless you get to talking about premarital sex or some other subject upon which he wishes to educate you. Please enjoy these two examples of ubiquitous Christian culture speak. It’s a relevant sensation that’s sweeping the nation.

Jess P

posted July 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm

After the sermon, they drop the “earnest approachability” and go strait for popular movie quotes and inside jokes.

Chrissy

posted July 8, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I wonder if Scott ever taught that dude about Jesus. Or do they just skip that part and send them straight to pastor acting class?

Patricia

posted July 8, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Don’t forget about the hand motions. The first guy has the two-handed circular motion that displays the outpouring of his soul as he tells you all the great things about his pastor, displaying the love he has for the guy. The second guy has his finger pointing on every syllable at the audience that makes him appear authoritative and earnest.
I notice because I talk with my hands profusely.

dangie

posted July 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Seems like maybe I learned about this hilarious pastor-parody video from you, but honestly can’t remember where. In any case, it correlates so nicely! http://vimeo.com/11501569

AdmNaismith

posted July 9, 2010 at 11:24 am

Don’t forget the Southern accent. Somewhere along the line, like Marine Drill Sargents, evangelical preachers all pick up a Southern accent, or at least a 2nd hand lilt, to go with the cadence.

Skitzo Leezra

posted July 10, 2010 at 2:28 am

I’ll gladly take the polished insincerity instead of overly enunciated speech coupled with wildly fluctuating volume levels employed by back-in-the-day pastors. (Think every television evangelist.)
“Ga-awd wiiiilll he-al, yeeew!”
My mom supposed it was taught in preacher college because no one from any other walk of life spoke like the-ey di-yid.

stanley

posted July 13, 2010 at 11:18 pm

This.
Post.
Made me.
Immediate..
..ly
Think of.
Rob.
Bell.

Doug

posted July 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Reminds me of those TV infomercials that feature multimillionaires who want to give me the inside secret on how they became rich, so I can do the same (usually by capitalizing on other people’s foreclosures). The focused earnestness is nearly identical.