Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#165 Camping out on a verse

posted by Stephanie Drury

myrigframe.jpg                                                                                                     image by JP Inc.

When the pastor is about to expound on a segment of scripture he likes to say he’s going to camp out on it. “We’re just going to camp out on ‘predestined.'” or “Let’s camp out for a minute on the term ‘false witness.'” Camp out = this is going to take awhile.

The pastor learned a lot of fun trivia in seminary and now he’s got a captive audience. If he has a doctoral degree and not just an MDiv he wants to impart to you the original language nuances and subtext. If he considers himself to be emergent or relevant he’ll try to be edgy and entertaining about it. Their sermons are often the longest. One word can take up the whole thing. I once heard a pastor say he was going to camp out on the word “the.”

Camp out can also be used interchangably with unpack, as in “We’re going to unpack this verse.” When you hear either of these, settle in, it’s going to be a long haul.

Serena

posted June 24, 2010 at 8:15 am

Never heard “camp out”, but I am HEARTILY SICK of “unpack”. It means NOTHING.

Still Breathing`

posted June 24, 2010 at 9:35 am

Serena, I heratily agree with you – should I tell Jim over breakfast?

Still Breathing

posted June 24, 2010 at 9:37 am

heartily – I meant heartily. What kind of word is ‘heratily’?

Aaran

posted June 24, 2010 at 7:45 pm

@ Still Breathing. Perhaps we should unpack ‘heratily’

Still Breathing

posted June 25, 2010 at 7:26 am

Or could we ‘heratily’ unpack?

Trev

posted June 25, 2010 at 8:59 am

YES!! Thank you Steph! Upon reading the title of this post I immediately thought of the word “unpack” and am so thrilled that you threw that in there.
The fact that these words are used all across North America must suggest that they’re all using the same source/reference material.

Sarah

posted June 25, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Since everything about (American) evangelicalism centers around creating a widespread, airtight, separatist culture, a predominant facet of which is distinctive language and vocabulary, I’m sure they are indeed using the same source material. In their own way, they’re quite papist, although they would vigorously deny this.

Jesse

posted June 26, 2010 at 9:04 pm

To echo Serena, I’ve never heard “camp on.” A local youth pastor I know abuses “unpack,” though. He’ll ask a question, someone will respond with a brief answer, and he’ll say, “Okay, now unpack that.” It just… grr.

Julie Presley

posted July 4, 2010 at 9:37 am

I, too, thought of “unpack” as soon as I started reading. If Unpack were a person, I’d slay him with a dragon.

Deborah Quinn

posted July 29, 2010 at 11:21 pm

how about giving grace? Just give grace, as you would want grace from your Lord?