Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#160 Bible verse as Facebook status

posted by Stephanie Drury

fb.jpgWhen Facebook asks “What’s on your mind?” the Christian’s answer is often a verse. And just as often, dozens of people (presumably also Christians) click that they “like” it, no matter how obscure the reference. It begs the question, if their pastor or his wife made Ezekiel 23:20 their status, would everyone still be compelled to like it? Unfortunately we will probably never know.

People firmly enmeshed in churchiness “like” these statuses (stati?) with great consistency. Those less fervent (backslidden, perhaps) “like” them more selectively.

When a Christian or former Christian sees a friend’s status verse and does not click that they “like” it they usually endure a pang of residual guilt typical of Christian culture aftershocks. Fortunately it only lasts a few seconds, which is more than I can say for most Christian culture residue.

fblike.jpg

Sarah

posted June 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm

This drives me nuts…and makes me feel guilty for hating the statuses, because they are, after all, the Bible. But they’re also not seperable from the human factor of who’s posting them and why, and the who and why tend to really grate on my nerves. It’s like they relish having no voice or identity of their own.
Plus the verses that are quoted are usually the ones that, in their extracted form, serve to bolster the Doing Things and Avoiding Relationship cultural mindset…they’re either about being righteous, what you need to do to be saved, or the doom-hellfire-and-brimstone verses about what will happen to the unrighteous, the ungodly, and the unbelievers.
Also, HAHAHAHAHA about Ezekiel 23:20 — hm, that gives me a mischievous idea…

Bill (cycleguy)

posted June 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm

i am not on FaceBook. Does that count for something? :)

TooSensitiveBoy

posted June 8, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I am putting my FB status to, “WTG Stephanie! Ezekiel 23:20″

Billy

posted June 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Had to look up Ezekiel 23:20. Went to Bible.com and read it in all the translations… NLT is the best. When I read it all I could think about was the stories I’ve heard about some night clubs in Tijuana, Mexico.

Steve D

posted June 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I ALSO LIKE THE FACT THAT THE VERSES ARE QUOTED IN ALL CAPS. MAKES ME FEEL LIKE THEY’RE YELLING THE VERSE AT ME.

Mayrock

posted June 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I feel like starting a Facebook account and posting Leviticus 18 statuses just to mess with people; and in all caps to boot. =D
- Verily, Mayrock 6:8

Steve D

posted June 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I was considering making a t-shirt with Ezekiel 23:20 on it. I’m undecided whether to just use the reference or the verse.

Jzzbassman

posted June 9, 2010 at 12:29 am

Shoot…..looks like Landover Baptist already beat us to the T-shirt idea.

Silent K

posted June 9, 2010 at 12:38 am

The amount of spittle emission on my screen can match any horse emission. Evar. emission.

Rollo Tomassi

posted June 9, 2010 at 10:06 am

Hahah,..
Status: Proverbs 6:26
This is almost as fun as debunking all the religio-political chain emails my mother-in-law keeps sending me.

Matt

posted June 9, 2010 at 10:35 am

And as a bonus, we have a shared Facebook account on the screenshot!

cd

posted June 11, 2010 at 12:59 am

Shoot…..looks like Landover Baptist already beat us to the T-shirt idea.
I frankly prefer the Ezekiel 23:20 maternity t-shirt:
Yes, they go there….

goperryrevs

posted June 11, 2010 at 5:15 am

This is like when my sister-in-law put some crap on her facebook status about a soldier that was killed in Afghanistan, and that everyone should change their status in respect (seemed to be a cut-and-paste job).
So to show my great respect for the dead, I should adjust my status on a social networking website… right… who needs memorials and statues anymore, when we can all just change our facebook statuses for half a day?

goperryrevs

posted June 11, 2010 at 5:17 am

goperryrevs

posted June 11, 2010 at 5:19 am

Sorry about the double post – didn’t think it had worked the first time.
The ironic thing about posting, was that the two words I had to type in to authenticate were ‘heroism’ and ‘deserves’. Nice!

Still Breathing

posted June 11, 2010 at 7:33 am

Can I put up “Judas went hand hanged himself. Go you and do likewise” as they are both biblical?