Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#156 Hedge of protection

posted by Stephanie Drury

hedge.jpg

When praying for somone’s safety, Christians use the phrase “hedge of protection.”

They just can’t help
themselves.

Joel Bradshaw

posted May 21, 2010 at 8:32 pm

You know, I was going to call your bluff on this one, say I’ve never heard this and you’re crazy.
But then I thought about it, and realized I had, although things like “loving arms” are much more common in my life. So the post, although short, stands. Next time I need such a phrase, I’ll have to use something awesome like “force field of spiritual and/or physical defense” or something. To protect them from the lasguns of the evil one.

Al

posted May 22, 2010 at 1:40 am

I guess there is a scriptural reference in there somewhere, but I’m not sure about the connection of God, protection, and shrubberies.
Check out Christian comedian Tim Hawkins on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YFbpgos-0

phree thinker

posted May 22, 2010 at 3:30 am

“hedge of protection” is dogma. why not pray over our children, family and friends with true anointed blessings that are found in OT scripture? i suggest this book by bill ligon, you can find it on amazon at:

Bill

posted May 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm

It was “hedge of thorns” in my neck of the woods, and was usually used in a spiritual-warfare context. Which of course spills over to general safety. (Well, “is used” is more probable.)

Chris

posted May 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm

As a young man who grew up in Evangelical Culture, I can definitely vouch for this phrase.
“Lord we just pray Your hedge of protection over so-and-so as she goes to Africa to spread Your Word…”

Lance

posted May 24, 2010 at 9:22 am

Add yet another phrase to “Stuff Stephanie Sarcastically Condemns from Her Self-Appointed Position of Supreme Culture Judge.”
You complain about the guilt perpetuated by these shallow practices, but all you do is pile on fresh guilt for using them. Their shallow practice begets your shallow practice. You are merely perpetuating the problem, Steph. What is a better way?

Bill

posted May 24, 2010 at 11:49 am

Lance, I’m not seeing how you have established the shallowness of Stephy’s practice. This post sits nicely within her established theme of Doing Things and Avoiding Relationship. I appreciate her pointing them out, and this one (and ones like it) especially, as I have found the kind of prayer I learned in my Evangelical upbriging to be…lacking, so formula, so catchphrase. So empty, for all the low-church railing against liturgy.
Instead of more correction and a decision not to engage, maybe we could start with you leading us in a meditation of the relative worth and unworth of the “hedge of protection” rote prayer? It’s efficacy? It’s tendency to inspire conversation and contemplation in our relationship to God? If Stephy is spreading darkness, perhaps you could light us a candle here.

Sarah

posted May 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Interesting, Lance. Sounds like you’re kind of pissed off, but I’m not quite sure at whom. Christian culture? Stephy? Both? Something else entirely?
And since you bring up guilt, by all means, let’s discuss guilt. How does pointing out shallowness, wrongdoing and the messy intersection of culture and faith “pile on fresh guilt”? And, if it does, how is that the fault of the person pointing out the problems? Does the out-of-jointness not rather lie with the people living in the guilt, rather than experiencing repentance and redemption?
Guilt is so much easier to feel. It’s also a sh!tty motivator. Guilt has nothing to do with grace or relationship, and everything to do with self and sitting in place. That guilt is the automatic response of many people to learning of their wrongdoing speaks not very highly of the tenets of this culture, which, in this respect, at least, veers sharply away from the message of the Gospel.
And that’s what Stephy is pointing out. So much of this culture has little if anything to do with the life and teachings of Jesus, and so much of this culture falls desperately short of the full life Jesus said he came to bring us.
But I suppose Ezekiel, too, should have just kept his mouth shut; he was so judgmental of God’s people. Never mind that God told him, “If you fail to warn people and they die in their sin, their blood is on YOUR head.” But I guess our responsibility isn’t to grow personally and corporately in grace and decry and change injustice, but to keep our heads down, try not to piss off God and be nice so we don’t hurt people’s feelings. Unless it’s to hurt the feelings of the people who think that the Gospel is important enough to speak up for when it’s mistaken by its own followers.

Todd

posted May 26, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Well said Sarah, thank you!

Rocky Presley

posted May 29, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Bravo Sarah. Couldn’t have said it better myself. In fact, probably couldn’t have come close to saying it as well. I pray a hedge of protection around you from Lance’s condemning response, which reminds me. My hedges could use a bit of work. Protecting a little too much at the moment.

Meghan

posted June 1, 2010 at 10:46 am

The only problem I ever had with this phrase (besides its kneejerk overuse) was that, as an imaginative child, a hedge of protection quickly had an active wildlife culture going on inside it; Beatrix Potter-like rabbit families and birdsnests and stoats. Before I knew it, my mind was nowhere near prayer, but all over the troubles of Peter Rabbit, hiding in his- yep- hedge of protection.