Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#151 The National Day of Prayer

posted by Stephanie Drury

nationaldayofprayerhorizontal.jpgChristian culture has really thrown itself into preserving the National Day of Prayer. They very much want it to be recognized as a national institution and are rather put out that Franklin Graham was disinvited from speaking at the Pentagon’s National Day of Prayer service after saying some inflammatory things about Muslims.

Christian culture seems to be more upset that Franklin was disinvited from speaking than they are that he called Islam “a very evil and wicked religion.” They see this as speaking the truth in love, no matter how it comes off. But most of all they are really bent on urging Christians to preserve the godly foundations upon which America was built. They don’t appear to know just how Christian the forefathers really were, or were not, rather. Investigating the truth behind that could lead down a rabbit trail and then they might have to consider the possibility that God could be bigger than a government and bigger than laws and that some of their efforts to help him out seem hateful and are actually hurting the cause. Then their perspective and possibly their belief systems would have to be reevaluated and hard questions would have to be asked and that would really make things uncomfortable and messy. It’s so much easier to just accept what you’ve been told by people whom you have trusted. No one can argue with that.

Gwyddion9

posted May 5, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I believe it was then President Clinton who asked Dobson to be in charge of the National Day of Prayer. In retrospect, this was a mistake as Dobson has turned the National day around to become a Christian day of prayer. His website details what one must agree in order to lead or participate in the ND of P. Clearly, it has become overtly Christian and specifically, Dobson’s type of Christianity.
The ND of P was intended for all citizens, regardless of religion, faith, deity, to get together and pray to whatever that individual defined as deity and ask blessing for the country. If the ND of P could become inclusive, as it was intended rather than exclusive, I’d support it but as it stands, it should be scrapped.
Again, the idea of ND of P was to pray for the country. It was not a time to say who was right or wrong. I think that the Pentagon’s actions were appropriate in dismissing Graham. He can choose to believe that Islam is evil or wrong, personally or in his church but at a National event for all religions, such would be wrong and counter productive.

Monica

posted May 5, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I would have not known that Gwyddion. I was raised S.B but became Charismatic as I grew older. Well, there is a reason for me saying that.
The churches I attended always made National Day of Prayer into this huge to-do for Christians, while leaving many other faiths out in the cold. Heck, until recently, I thought it WAS for Christians only.
As for the Christian Revisionist History, it’s been touted like that since the early 80’s I believe. I blame it more on the fact that many of these pastors/writers who write saying that this is a Christian Nation, need that falsified narrative or else they will be made out to be liars to those who do exercise their brains sometimes.
But as we are all starting to learn, Christian or not…one should never-ever-ever be a liar for Jesus.

kenneth

posted May 6, 2010 at 12:49 am

The whole thing is an exercise in triumphalism. Nobody who takes their faith seriously needs a government reminder to pray. Those who don’t don’t want to hear it from elected officials. It’s funny that Franklin rails so hard against Islam. He and the Taliban are cut from the same cloth. They have the same vision for religion’s role in public life, and a faith that is totally contingent on being able to force everyone to “see the light.”

MAGGIEF

posted May 6, 2010 at 9:38 am

praying is for everyone no matter what the faith.i have seen of late that the ministers of today have their own opinion about prayer some of them has went as far to denounce others faith. this to me is shameful and when they let prayer be taken out of schools i could not
believe it. i was in high school.now we hear so much today about prayer each person believe in something and it is their right to pray.

Sarah

posted May 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

I am SO GLAD you posted on this.

Flah the Heretic Methodist

posted May 6, 2010 at 10:36 am

As a rabid proponent of separation of church and state, my intention today is to NOT pray. When religion finally realizes that this separation is to protect THEM, and starts to ask for less government intervention, then I’ll pray a prayer of thanks.

Your Name

posted May 6, 2010 at 11:16 am

MAGGIEF,
“praying is for everyone no matter what the faith.”
That statement may be true in a standalone sense, but this so-called “National” Day of Prayer has, as its very purpose, the promotion of Christian Values.
This excludes everyone who is NOT of the “Christian” faith. That is the UN-Constitutional part, since America ‘promises’ (or used to) freedom of religion for everyone.
Would you be okay with a National Day of Zoroastrian Prayer? Buddhist prayer? Sikh prayer? Taoist prayer? Muslim prayer?
Thought not.

Grumpy Old Person

posted May 6, 2010 at 2:45 pm

My prayers today are all for the hypocrites at the ‘Family’ “Research” Council’s co-founder ‘Rev’d. Rekers who was caught with a male prostitute this past weekend.
Maybe now we can focus on THEIR families!!!

Miina

posted May 6, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Prayer is supposed to be a private thing done with God, and sometimes with a small group of friends. It is not something we should show boat with. The national day of prayer and see you at the pole events make me extremely uncomfortable. What I do when I pray is bare my soul to God, something I could never do infront of strangers with out being completely fake. I say we should put prayer back in our closets where Jesus says it belongs.

stephanie drury

posted May 6, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Miina, yes!
Grumpy Old Person, did you see Stephen Colbert’s report on Dr. Rekers? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/06/colbert-rips-anti-gay-act_n_565763.html?ref=fb&src=sp

Tucker

posted May 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I would like to see an National Day of Zoroastrian Prayer. I really don’t know what that would look like, but it sounds interesting.
As I see it, any “national days of something Christian” are just more examples of Christendom and, as far as I’m concerned, that kinda sucks – but expected.

What about Daniel?

posted May 22, 2010 at 2:23 am

Is there ever a time to pray in public? Miina, you are absolutely right that prayer is most importantly/effectively done in the “secret place.” Does that mean it should not be practiced openly? When Jesus reigns, will we all have private discussions with Him?
“Christian culture seems to be more upset that Franklin was disinvited from speaking than they are that he called Islam “a very evil and wicked religion.””
Stephanie: What do you actually know about Muslims? About Islam? Or even about the crusades? Why do Muslim women wear shawls over their heads? Do you know the story? Whose fault was it that the great prophet Muhammad raped his cousin? (Hers. Obviously). Do you know what it means to abuse the “name of God”? How about living in a culture where men are so far superior that a single word from one could mean your life or death? How about living in a culture where a man tells a woman what the will of Allah is, no matter how seemingly outrageous.

On a more agreeable note, a guest lecturer to a missions training school once quoted someone else as saying, “Don’t be so outwardly religious.” Prayer is best done in closets. And submission to the Lord is best done inwardly.

Tuhan Adalah Cinta

posted June 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm

“How about living in a culture where men are so far superior that a single word from one could mean your life or death? How about living in a culture where a man tells a woman what the will of Allah is, no matter how seemingly outrageous.”
I’d just like to comment on this. I spent many months living in a predominantly Islamic nation, and not only is this patently untrue of my experience, how is it any different from how Christianity told women who THEY were supposed to be for many years in this very country? At my private, Christian high school, I was told for many years that my main function would be to go to college to meet a “godly” man to marry, then have lots of babies “for the kingdom.” Many pastors (all men) seem to know what the Will of God is for Womankind, just as many dogmatic mullahs know what the Will of Allah is for Womankind. I see no difference.
When I was overseas, women could choose to wear the veil (or not). This has nothing to do with Islam so much as a culture of religious oppression. It is not true Islam, any more than being forced to wear a cross necklace would be considered true Christianity. You are mistaking culture with faith, and dogma with spirituality.