Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#148 Jack Bauer

posted by Stephanie Drury

jackbauer_evangelism.jpgMen in Christian culture have giant man-crushes on Jack Bauer. He is the prototype of Christian culture’s ideal male, save for the profession of faith. He’s macho, tenacious and tech-savvy (all qualities that Christian culture holds dear) and he’s working his ass off under an apocalyptic deadline, which Christians can relate to. They even find themselves praying for Jack Bauer during the show and then laughingly confess to this when discussing last week’s episode of 24 at Bible study.

Matt Green

posted April 22, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Everyone adores the Bauer archetype. So much, that, like many other things, the culture conflates it into near-spirituality. Another commenter in a previous post nailed it when they discussed the hypocrisy of believing “all of God’s children are unique and precious,” while also believing in strict gender roles. I’ve been in several campus groups that really didn’t quite give me the time of day because I’m not an Abercrombie and Fitch type of male. The message I always seemed to get was, “be more like this guy and we’ll fast-track you to marriage before you graduate from undergrad.”
Actually, Stephanie, there are a bunch of topics you could do that surround dating in Christian culture. One that springs to mind: women who must have a boyfriend but won’t look themselves because they’re ‘waiting on God to bring the right man.’ (Mind you, they may still believe in equality of women, just not when it comes to asking the guy out.) That type of belief makes it really hard not to see Christianity (at times) as a way for people to make excuses for not taking responsibility for improving their life.

Valerie

posted April 22, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Matt,
Are you the same Matt Green that I used to hang out with in high school? Say, in the northwest corner of a very RED state? That gave me a camel hair jacket when I was a freshman? If not, then disregard. I just had to ask though.
Valerie

Matt Green

posted April 22, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Alas, no! I have many impostors, so I fear you’ve been fooled.

Valerie

posted April 22, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Hahaha darn. The other “Matt Green” is a friend on FB and I thought he may have seen this site where I fanned it and become a fan too.

Sexy Beast

posted April 22, 2010 at 11:12 pm

#149 Don Logan
Actually I think Ben Kingsley as Don Logan (from “Sexy Beast”) is a better role model. Now there’s a guy who wouldn’t take no for an answer in an evangelizing scenario. “You will! YES! YES! YES!”

ransacker

posted April 23, 2010 at 11:37 am

Weird insight Stephanie. I’ve never witnessed or seen said phenomenon. Another demographic darkhorse from SCCL. Hats off…..

admnaismith

posted April 23, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Because there is nothing humans love more than being browbeaten into believing in someone else’s god.
Evangelism is not like collecting bottle caps. Or maybe it is.

George L

posted April 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm

So is Jack Bauer the new Chuck Norris for American Christian culture?

Steve D

posted April 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I know I’ve been to some classes in “Sharing Your Faith” that looks somewhat like that ad. Only we used to have them on the floor in a wrestling hold.

stephanie drury

posted April 24, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Maybe he’s like the new Power Team. Remember them? Are they still around?

birdee

posted April 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm

It’s a battlefield out there.

Billy

posted April 25, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Have to admit, never watched 24. I’m more of a The Office, Glee and Top Gear (BBC America) kind of Christian. However, a co-worker told me that only gay people watch Glee, so I’m kind of in a dilemma on that one ;-).

Meghan

posted April 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Oh, the Power Team. Ripping telephone books in half for Jesus.

trey

posted May 7, 2010 at 3:00 pm

One dude in the Power Team would demonstrate his brute strength by blowing (inflating with his strong breath) up a rubbery hot water heating pad thing.