Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#133 Kirk Cameron

posted by Stephanie Drury

kirkcameron1.jpg

Christian culture advocate Kirk Cameron (aka Mike Seaver) released a statement after his lovable compadre Andrew Koenig (aka Boner) passed away. “At a time like this, we are all reminded of the briefness of life and the importance of being ready for our eternal destination.”

areyouachristian.jpg

Kirk’s giving it to you straight. Dare you click skip intro?

This statement is pretty loyal to Christian culture’s preoccupation with timelines and the attaining of goals. Christian culture doesn’t spend much time wondering if there is any value in process and journey. Maybe if we’re lucky they will both prove to be valuable, and if we’re really lucky we might realize heaven and hell exist beyond biblical metaphor. And if we’re really, really lucky, Kirk will release a statement apologizing for the raciness of costarring with somebody named Boner.

kirkcameronboner.jpg

julie

posted February 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

thank you for posting this. his 1st statement when thy guy went missing, “call me friend,” bothered me as well. i was in love with kirk cameron when i was younger- had a full body poster of him at the head of my bed. pink background, leather jacket, cute smile…but he bothers me to no end now!

Uncle Luther

posted February 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

You know, I still can’t figure out what I feel about Kirk Cameron. I admire his deep convictions, but the fundamentalist bit is more than a little irritating.

miltoncat

posted February 28, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Nice. He uses his friend’s death to further plug what is ultimately his agenda.

shelly

posted February 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Tsk, tsk. Former co-star dies/takes his own life, and not a word of consolation to his family. Instead just rattling on about how important it is “to be ready for our eternal* destination”.
(* In reality, it should be “eonian”, which is the correct translation of the Greek “aionion”.)

stephanie drury

posted February 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

He actually did express condolences to the family, I didn’t quote that part but he did express them.

Nathan

posted March 1, 2010 at 2:29 am

heh, I heard him speak at the Brooklyn Tabernacle(during a preview “airlift” for The King’s College, no less!) and was kind of horrified to see what the lovable star of Growing Pains had turned into. the gist of his sermon was that we were all murderering thieves in the eyes of god from the second we were born…what a sweetheart.

Steve

posted March 1, 2010 at 7:54 am

@ Nathan: Yeah, good old original sin rears its ugly head again. One of many doctrines contemporary Christianity could live without.

Rollo Tomassi

posted March 1, 2010 at 8:25 am

Wow. A Kirk Cameron post and no mention of the infamous “Banana Clip”. This is an internet first.

Jamie

posted March 1, 2010 at 11:03 am

Why to go Kirk… someone goes through enough pain to kill themselves and the family is in shambles and all you can think of to tell the public is “are YOU going to HELL?!” Not like the family that sent out a sweet note about suicide and how depressed people should seek help immediately because of how loved they are. Way to always look out for your paranoid agenda! What a great friend!

Aaron

posted March 1, 2010 at 11:44 am

I don’t think that’s Boner in the picture, but Mike’s other friend Eddie (played by K.C. Martel).

ransacker

posted March 1, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Jamie- You are dead on with your observation. It gave me terrible flashbacks to my childhood, when my super-fundamentalist Dad told my Mom and I that My Grandpa was in hell. Gave me the warped perspective on Christianity that I continue to carry. Kirk C. you need to start being a human……..

Chrissy

posted March 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm

The “Call me” comment bothers me as well. christians assume it is their duty to help sad people feel happy, but they rarely acknowledge the fact that Christ himself was pretty depressed: “A man of sorrows, well acquainted with grief.” Instead they pretend that all is happy, now that they found the secret of daily quiet times with their clinically depressed maker. There is more peace to be had in accepting and contemplating Christ “the man of sorrows” than in feigning joy at being assured of heaven in the afterlife.
When Keonig first went missing, Cameron said “Call me…Mike and Boner could always work things out when they put their minds to it,” which I find incredibly appropriate. Mike Seaver would have had more to offer Koenig than Kirk Cameron. Mike Seaver tried, failed, and tried again. Kirk Cameron only has answers to offer. The character has become more human than the actor who played him.
It is not Christ who makes us less human, but this strange system that makes Christ less human. When we place the system above love, we will be conformed to the image of this robot Jesus. Following a christ who cannot comprehend humanity, is to follow an antichrist. A messiah that never became man. A messiah who has never grieved with humanity.

Sarah

posted March 1, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Well said, Chrissy.

David

posted March 1, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Agree with Sarah: good stuff, Chrissy

Em

posted March 1, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Chrissy, that was right on. The fact is, a lot of Christians are so morbidly afraid of pain–almost every tenet of modern evangelism is to save us from “pain”. Nevermind that pain is a big part of what makes us human, and essentially the humanity of Christ Himself–and that making sure we never feel pain is a good way to guarantee we never feel much of anything genuine.

Still Breathing

posted March 2, 2010 at 4:35 am

Thanbk you Chrissy. As a Christian who was recently hospitalised with depression being reminded that my saviour is a man of sorrows and actually suffers with me is like a ray of sunlight.

Anthony

posted March 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm

That definitely isn’t boner in that pic.

stephanie drury

posted March 2, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Some people seem to think that isn’t Boner in the pic and they’re probably right. He sure looked like Boner to me but I’m starting to doubt myself. Boner fail! (that’s what she said)

Mon

posted March 2, 2010 at 5:57 pm

His sister, DJ Tanner, is also on the fervent evangelical bandwagon. But even with her “Growing In God” website filled with a mega-church’s worth of Christian plugs, there’s something about her that doesn’t seem as bucket-of-crazy. Maybe it’s because she and her husband own a winery. I have to admit, that’s kinda cool.

BJMAC

posted March 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Aren’t you all so kind. Open up your own hearts.

Sarah

posted March 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm

BJMAC,
Can you tell us what you’re objecting to? Shouldn’t our greater sympathy lie with the dead man and the people who love him?

AaronFink

posted March 6, 2010 at 8:50 am

I remember seeing KC on TV one time where he would just ambush people on the street. At first they were confused. Then they recognized him and were like, “Hey Mikey!” Then he would get kind of aggressive asking them where they would go if they died right now. Then the people were confused again, and kind of uncomfortable. And so was I, cause come on Mikey, I know you are trying to do the Lord’s work and all, but that sort of thing is just kind of creepy, especially when you’re pointing a video camera in a stranger’s face. Respect people enough to actually engage them in an open dialogue as an equal, and that’s after they have actually asked for one.

Still Breathing

posted March 10, 2010 at 4:08 am

I have a confession to make – I have no idea who these people are. Is this because A) I’m old or B) I live on a different continent?