Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#120 Disclaiming Pat Robertson

posted by Stephanie Drury

patrobertsonisbatshitcrazy.jpgIn an event of staggering rarity, Christian culture and non-Christians currently agree on something. Almost everyone seems to think that Pat Robertson is certifiably insane.

Christian culture usually tries to cover for their evangelical spokespeople who go rogue. Pat has a hobby of saying baseless and inflammatory things in the name of Jesus, but Christians aren’t defending him this time. And any moment when Christian culture isn’t hollering “hooray for our side” is a rare treat, like a unicorn sighting or something.

Valerie

posted January 20, 2010 at 7:08 pm

“And any moment when Christian culture isn’t hollering “hooray for our side” is a rare treat, like a unicorn sighting or something.”
Totally worth repeating. Great post, Stephy. Although I did hear a guy defending St. Patty on a fundy talk radio station the other day on my way home from work.

kenneth

posted January 21, 2010 at 1:10 am

They’re starting to publicly distance themselves now that his rantings are finally costing them market share, but he must still have a good base of support to maintain that empire of his.

Lucifer

posted January 21, 2010 at 1:23 am

Dearest Patrick,
As always, thanks again for your insightful comments! It seems like these letter are becoming a common place, and it is great to see that we are able to scratch one another’s backs with such ease. You really hammered God with this one, making him and his followers look mean spirited “I told you so’s!” Home run on that one. Reminds me of Katrina. Although Ellen makes me laugh, the more people that think that God and Christians hate gays the better!
This is just a heads up. In the future, this is how I roll. If I am going to make a pact with someone, I do it with style. Range rovers, huge houses, fake boobs, and the like are typically part of the deal. I call it my platinum package. It doesn’t take much convincing to get them to sign on that dotted line. People typically just want to get more and more, so I don’t need the tyrannical French to make that happen. Truth is, I just cannot be associated with an 80% poverty rate. It’s just bad for my street cred and hurts my bottom line. I am not saying that we need to discontinue this relationship. This is but a minor hiccup, and I am sure that you will be more cognizant of your misgivings in the future.
If you have any questions, feel free to hit up my cell, or you can visit the FAQ section of the website, and I do appreciate your subscription to access the premium content! Did you enjoy your “God Hates Chavez!” t-shirt and door mat? Those are still flying off the shelves.
Keep up the good work!
XOXOXO
Satan

Ben Mordecai

posted January 21, 2010 at 9:11 am

Some of us have been critical of Pat Robertson before his ridiculous comments about Haiti. The 700 club is a joke.

Jeremiah

posted January 21, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Pat Robertson’s clutch is slipping. He’s definitely a tool, a device.
But can you imagine the uproar if he had said something about Obama’s “negro dialect”? Or “Goddamn America!” or if he had claimed to have invented the internet? Or killed some broad and not reported it for a whole day?
I’m just sayin’

Jason Coker

posted January 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Like I said, Pat pisses us off because we see ourselves in him. Or, maybe it’s just me.

stephanie drury

posted January 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I think you’re onto something, Jason.

ransacker

posted January 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Which part is Jason onto ?

stephanie drury

posted January 21, 2010 at 3:22 pm

That we prefer to live in the black-and-white, not in the gray. He said that in
his post on Pat Robertson.

Drew Langer

posted January 21, 2010 at 4:19 pm

However, Franklin Graham defended Pat by saying he was sure Pat simply “misspoke,” even though Pat says this after every single natural disaster.
Jeremiah, um, there WAS an uproar for Harry Reid’s and Rev. Wright’s comments. Both comments are still used to discredit both and almost cost Obama the election bc of guilt by association. And you forgot to add Rush’s delightful theory that our president’s quick Haiti response was simply a shallow, political attempt to appeal to light- and dark-skinned people.
But I love how people like to excuse one person’s behavior with the “but the other side got away with worse!” defense.
How about we just call out all stupid people and the stupid things they say?
Because when we Christians don’t “weed” the extreme voices, we project tolerance to the most venomous while showing intolerance to the slightest differing views, even the most positive. I’m happy the Christian culture is coming around on this issue. It is overdue but a great sign nonetheless.

pagansister

posted January 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Pat is just proving yet again that he is losing whatever part of his mind he still might have. Old age has set in and he feels that he is still important to something or someone. So WRONG. He needs to crawl into a hole, pull the dirt back over his head and just shut the hell up. He is a horrible representative of the religion he claims to represent.

Spinning

posted January 22, 2010 at 5:19 am

Here’s the thing: re. Haiti, he was simply (and very foolishly) repeating a canard that’s been around in evangelical circles for decades. I 1st heard about Haiti’s supposed pact with the devil in the early-mid 1980s – and the truth is that white American culture has misrepresented Haitian life and culture in countless ways, from zombie films to phrases like “voodoo economics” to… add you own examples.
In some ways, Robertson was giving voice to prejudices held by many Americans who aren’t even remotely associated with evangelicalism.
touché. [ow!!!]

Cate

posted January 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I thought this article put it pretty plainly:
“So, in a way, maybe Robertson is right. Haiti is caught in a deal with the devil, and the devil is us.”

Mayrock

posted January 25, 2010 at 2:36 am

Pat discredits the Gospel practically every time he opens his mouth.
This article is a few years old, but the author succinctly puts paid to Robertson:

Josh Tompke

posted January 28, 2010 at 6:13 pm

The funny thing is that something similar to this situation pops up in Job–something terrible happens to him, and his friends all assume it must be God punishing him for some sin that he has committed. They are pretty firmly condemned for this sort of thinking.
One of the many problems I have with Christian rationale is the widespread view that everything that is good only happened through god’s exceptional grace, and bad things either happened because Satan did it, you deserved it, or it’s actually a blessing in disguise. Bad things can’t just happen, there has to be a rationale. It’s a neccessary construct, i guess, when you have a god whom you say is omnipotent, and then need to explain why he doesn’t use his unlimited power to prevent natural disasters.

William

posted February 4, 2010 at 12:36 am

Pat Robertson is proof that God does not exist and Man did not evolve.