Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Introductory post

posted by Stephanie Drury
Hi!

I started this blog (stuffchristianculturelikes.com) in August 2008. I know this isn’t a new concept and I’m not a pioneer in angst about evangelicalism – lots of people have done this before and have done it better than me. But I’ve been helped a lot by the community surrounding this blog and people
coming alongside and saying they have the same questions and problems.

What else should say, hmm.  I have little kids. I work
full-time. I live in fear of earthquakes. I’ve never stayed awake all the way through Star Wars. Maybe my husband should tell you about me, it might be more objective. He wrote 25 things about me like those 25 things lists on Facebook. The Star Wars thing is actually #1:

1. She has never seen Star Wars.
2. Whenever Stephanie gets into a car, she starts craving Diet Coke.
3. Has painted and repainted every piece of furniture in our home multiple times.
4. She could lie in bed all day reading, watching tv, and blogging, and never fall asleep.
5. Conversely, she falls asleep during most movies.
6. She reads and recycles 20-30 magazines a month.
7. Her feet look like they’ve never been walked on.
8. She does, however, have one weird toe from running.
9. Was faulted for causing 9 car accidents during college. Zero since.
10. She played rugby in college, and bit people in the scrum when she had opportunity.
11. Bakes cakes on a whim.
12. Is obsessed with books on cleaning and organization.
13. Likes to dream up new names for kittens.
14. Likes to draw cartoon bunnies and coo at them.
15. Dresses as a southern baptist every Halloween.
16. Will say she is not hungry, and then eat off of your plate.
17. Is always on the hunt for an unmanned piano to play.
18. Hates Uggs and Crocs. Loves cowboy boots.
19. Eats chips and salsa every day.
20. Ran a marathon.
21. Makes a mean chicken fried steak dinner.
22. Has most television commercials from the 1980′s memorized.
23. Is a classically trained pianist.
24. Still listens to Amy Grant.
25. Loves reality shows involving haunted houses and ghosthunters.

That’s more than you wanted to know, so thanks for reading.

stephy

Aaron

posted November 18, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Congrats, Stephy! This is rad.

Kirsten

posted November 18, 2009 at 6:24 pm

So excited for you! And I LOVELOVELOVE Amy Grant! I don’t care what anyone says!
And I adore you.
xo

Chrissy

posted November 18, 2009 at 8:04 pm

How do you have baby feet? It really makes no sense considering the other details: marathon, kids, full time work, rugby, 9 car accidents, hating Uggs and Crocs. And all you’ve got is ONE weird toe?! The improbability of your baby feet, just might make it my favorite detail. “Beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.” It’s the only explanation.

Al

posted November 19, 2009 at 12:03 am

What DOES a southern baptist look like? How do you dress up like that (unless you wave placards).

stephy

posted November 19, 2009 at 12:10 am

Heh, well, I kind of try to look like the women at my church in the early 90s, my costume usually goes something like this – denim dress with a farm scene and sunflowers embroidered on it, suntan hose, blue eyeshadow, glasses that make my eyes look ginormous and I spray my bangs up nice and tall. It’s actually super comfortable as far as Halloween costumes go.

Steph

posted November 19, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I remember falling asleep during Star Wars, too!

Chrissy

posted November 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Mel T

posted November 20, 2009 at 9:53 pm

They tell you twice it’s humor.
They tell you twice it’s humor.

Still Breathing

posted December 2, 2009 at 12:14 pm

10 is fascinating – didn’t you wear a gumshield?

stephanie drury

posted December 3, 2009 at 12:27 am

Hugh, for some reason the biteguard (American for gumshield) didn’t really get in the way of me chomping people.