Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#105 Wondering what atheists do on Thanksgiving

posted by Stephanie Drury

athexgvgsm.jpg

Atheists don’t get much clemency from Christian culture. They are generally thought to be misguided and inclined to despair.

While Christians are busy thanking God on Thanksgiving they have been known to wonder aloud how atheists could possibly celebrate this holiday with no one to thank. It may not occur to them that on Thanksgiving Day many atheists are thankful to their friends and families, thankful to people who don’t dismiss them, and that many are volunteering in soup kitchens and serving the needy just like Jesus said to do.

PerennialGadfly

posted November 25, 2009 at 3:25 pm

This Thanksgiving, I thank God for not existing.
/zinger

VegetAtheist

posted November 25, 2009 at 3:25 pm

I wonder if as many Christians are wondering who atheists have to thank as the general public wonders what vegetarians are eating. I am thankful for all those thoughts tomorrow!

WMDKitty

posted November 25, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Same thing the rest of you do: eat too much and pass out in front of the television. I’m thankful for my family, and their excellent cooking!

Kira

posted November 26, 2009 at 1:25 am

I’m an atheist vegetarian. Tomorrow I’ll be feasting on Tofurkey with all the trimmings while giving thanks for the food, the people who made it possible, my loved ones, and many other things. I don’t need to believe in a deity to be thankful, or to attribute to a deity the works of humanity to celebrate Thanksgiving. It’s that simple.

kenneth

posted November 26, 2009 at 3:53 am

Nevermind what atheists do on Thanksgiving. I wonder more about what Native Americans celebrate on this day!. “Dear Lord, we give thanks for smallpox, missionaries, the ravages of distilled alcohol and hard lessons in real estate law”

stephanie drury

posted November 26, 2009 at 10:49 am

Seriously Kenneth. Those were some hard real estate lessons. Manifest destiny: it feels like it’s mine!

Mel T

posted November 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Thankful we’re not christians.
Who don’t know gratitude is intransitive.

Matthew T.

posted November 26, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I am thankful for family and my ability to reason.
P.S. I am not thankful for how Christians hijack holidays and put their spin on them.

George, American

posted November 26, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I don’t sit around being “thankful” on Thanksgiving because I think that picking one day of the year to be grateful for what you have is really, really stupid.

Tomas

posted November 26, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Well George we’d all just like to thank YOU today for your tireless efforts in creating a 3-day American work week so we can all get together with our loved ones any time we want and not be so really stupid anymore, I mean, until you fukkin liberated us we were all like SITTING just that one day of the year instead of keeling over dogshit tired from our really stupid jobs and really really stupid lives, and also on the other hand thinking on that one day of the year that we somehow “picked” in ancient pre-history when we were possibly even stupider, that on that day we had a sentiment or an attitude or something in common with our neighbors and countrymen which Jesus of course is total fantasy as we are all smarter now like you and sitting instead with tinfoil hats in defiance of some supposed malevolent zeitgeist that wants to tell us how to think and be Hallmark football cranberry zombies and all.

bim willow

posted November 27, 2009 at 6:43 am

I’m thankful to reason an logic
I’m thankful there is no God
I’m thankful I dont have to hang out with my boring relatives if I choose not to.
Yes atheists can make a great pumpkin pie as well.

Jenyfer

posted November 27, 2009 at 4:24 pm

When giving thanks, we atheists don’t look up….we look around.

Chrissy

posted November 27, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I’m thankful for atheists. They taught me respect, by first respecting me. Major blow to my self-righteousness. Best blow job a girl could ask for!

Snotty McSnotterson

posted November 27, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I generally give thanks for remembering that Thanksgiving began as a harvest festival, and that it’s primarily identified as a secular holiday; I’m also thankful there are no judgmental, misguided religious folk in my family. Praise Jaysus!

Rollo Tomassi

posted December 1, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Don’t feel too special Atheists, evangelical culture also wonder aloud who Muslims, gays, socialists, and anyone who voted Democratic address their gratitude to.

Paulo

posted December 3, 2009 at 2:18 am

I’m just thankful I don’t have to work that day! Isn’t that enough?

Ransacker

posted December 6, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I am grateful that the atheists commenting on this blog seem to be as equally a self-righteous bunch of c***s as the Christians they are lampooning. It gives a sense of balance to the procedings. Just what Steph-oh was going for……….

Monica

posted December 8, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Wow ransacker you seem to have issues with atheists. Just because they don’t kowtow to your beliefs or act afraid of their “impending doom” doesn’t mean you have to be all pithy. Seriously, those are what they are thankful for, and to be honest I’m glad they think that way.
That being said. I have to agree with the gentleman who said that atheists aren’t the only ones who get the self-righteous(that is what I called it) “how can they celebrate this if they are not_________”. Because that is what it ultimately boils down to. Christian Culture breeds this type of thinking which is, anything that isn’t christian…or our idea of it,is not normal so therefore the atheists must be sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. It’s a disturbing thing. I had to experience it in my own family (they are all Missionary Baptists except for my mom who is a charismatic)when I came out as agnostic(only after some pressure i went back into the closet. dang it sucks being in the south). They literally thought in the manner that Steph pointed out and at that time I didn’t have the knowledge that I do now to explain it all. Same thing for “why do atheists and agnostics get married if they don’t believe/aren’t sure of a god.”
Anyway, just wanted to explain.
moni

ransacker

posted December 9, 2009 at 12:25 pm

No problem with atheists actually. Understand the idea and can see why it is embraced. Big problem with smarmy, self-congratulatory bull-**** that sounds alarmingly Evangelical Christian in it’s tone. I am not terribly trusting of anyone who is that sure they’re right. For the same reason that I am not fond of the smug surety of Evangelical America, Neo-Nazis, Islamic Fundamentalists, Amway Salesfolks, etc……. Grew up at the heart of the Bible Belt. Abhorred it. You have ironically, preached to the choir. I belive you.

Sensible Joe

posted December 14, 2009 at 12:28 am

The Pharisee in the Gospel gave thanks to God — for not being like “other” (i.e., sinful, irreligious) folk. And his thanksgiving, for all his religiosity, didn’t do him a lick of good in God’s eyes.

Lexo

posted December 27, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I’m an atheist and also, like the blogger herself, the child of a preacher, although my dad was a Pradikant in the Lutheran church in Ireland, and not (for which I am grateful to the all-seeing but hidden providence that shapes our ends) in the evangelical church in the USA. I am an atheist chiefly because I don’t think that the Christian perspective on why we are here is supported by the evidence, but I also recognise that several centuries of believing in one god has left a lot of us with a habit of believing in some very strange stuff, and I am no exception.
I think this blog is a splendid piece of work, if only because it shows up the true nature of US ‘Christian Culture’ as defined by the blogger – which is that it has very little to do with Jesus, and a lot to do with American conservatism.

Valhar2000

posted January 29, 2010 at 9:42 am

The worst moment for the atheist? If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that is when the theocrats have finally taken over, they impose a hypocritical, illogical, inconsistent morality on everyone else, randomly select groups of people for scapegoating and persecution, destroy all fields of intellectual endeavour and institute a state in which any and all thoughts not consonant with the required dogma are to be sought out and destroyed. That would be a sucky moment for an atheist; Dante’s thing, not so much.

Valhar2000

posted January 29, 2010 at 9:44 am

It would suck for most christians too, now that I think about it.

stephanie drury