Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#106 Overshare via prayer request

posted by Stephanie Drury

151353__jessnick_l.jpgOvershare via prayer request is the nauseating cousin of gossip via prayer request. Some people do not hold back. Since they’re in their community of brethren they feel free to get detailed.

“Shannon couldn’t make it to small group tonight, she’s got diarrhea on top of that chronic yeast infection so keep her in your prayers.”

“Aaron had a semen analysis and his sperm count looks fine so we’re going to get my lazy ovary scoped before we start the adoption process, could y’all just be praying for that?”

“Susan Walter’s uterus unraveled and fell out while she was jogging. Pray that God would give her mercy and speedy recovery from her hysterectomy.”

If prayer request overshare does not engage your gag reflex it will at the very least create unfortunate visuals you’ll associate with that person for years to come.

Steve

posted December 1, 2009 at 8:37 am

This is one of the reasons why I don’t go to small group Bible studies any more.

Steph G

posted December 1, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Perhaps we need to give folks HIPPA violations for these kinds of requests.

greta

posted December 1, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Yes! I can think of two specific types of this kind of over-share that I actually enjoy.
the first is when someone is trying to be discreet about maybe a relationship they have with someone else (who also might be in the room if it’s in a community bible study, but who is probably part of the general church community and everyone knows who they’re talking about anyway), but their “cryptic” description gives it all away.
the other is when someone starts off saying they have an “unnamed prayer request,” but the longer the group is quiet, the more the person will share about it.

Steve

posted December 1, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I like that picture, btw…”On the kitchen table” can mean soooooo many things!

Bill

posted December 1, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Oooh, Greta, totally forgot about the “unnamed prayer request”. Classic!

Chrissy

posted December 2, 2009 at 12:25 am

Do you think this has to do with the idea that the more specific your prayer, the more powerful it is? Like it will be more effective if you care enough to mention every detail?
If so, where did that idea even come from? Or are they just bored?

Robert

posted December 2, 2009 at 1:54 am

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. Pray for me.

Mark T. Ingham

posted December 2, 2009 at 4:49 am

Oh gawd, I nearly fell off my chair at the uterus falling out while jogging quip. Classic. =D

Doug

posted December 2, 2009 at 3:09 pm

A close cousin to the person who loves to share Too Much Information at Bible studies and prayer meetings is the person who wants to turn every such gathering into a group therapy session. You know things are gonna go downhill when you start hearing “I,” “me,” “my,” “life,” and “miserable.” The same person usually shows up the next week (and the next week and the week after that) with the same narcissistic plea for attention. It gets old fast. I actually had to close down a Bible study once because of this.

JustGuessing

posted December 2, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I am careful with prayer requests in my small group. I know members of my group are not judgmental. But I don’t make prayer requests with info that person would not the members of the church to know. I won’t do it withholding the name either because class members might figure out who it is.

Billy

posted December 3, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Wow, what church do the people you get your idea’s from go to? Must say that I’ve never experienced this one. Sounds like a job for mythbusters.

Chrissy

posted December 3, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Billy, actually the following requests are posted on my former church’s online discussion board (names have been changed or abbreviated):
URGENT PRAYER REQUEST! PLEASE PRAY FOR MEL. mel, a sister in Christ at our church is about 6 weekweeks pregnant. normally, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), which is the “pregnancy” hormone increases as the pregnancy advances. hers have begun to decrease which could indicate a miscasrriage has happeened or is imminent. pls pray for her! t hank you!
Please pray for Sam’s cousin, Donna Louis Milton, she is in the ICU with a massive infection that she is unable to fight due to her spleen being removed and a platelet crash due to a car accident 9 years ago. They can’t figure out what this infection is but at this point things to not look good for her.
Sure these things are worth praying for, but in a church of 10,000 members it’s a bit TMI to post such specific details on a public discussion board. Especially with people’s full names. Poor Mel will have perfect strangers asking her how she has handled her imminent miscarriage. And there’s no reason people should know about the traumatic accident spleenless Donna suffered in the past. No matter how urgent the prayer request, those details are for close friends, not strangers. And the woman whose uterus fell out while jogging… she goes to that church. It’s all true! How did I find out about it? “Overshare.” The church is Calvary Chapel of Philadelphia.

Ransacker

posted December 6, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Always a hoot that Ol’ Unravelling Uterus Trick, of course untils it happens to be your place of hoo-ha-vian feminine specialosity or one of which you are fond.

Mark T. Ingham

posted December 7, 2009 at 5:24 am

Wait, the ejected-uterus-while-jogging story was real??? Sounded too absurd to be true — I thought Steph was joking.

stephanie drury

posted December 7, 2009 at 10:48 am

I wish I had been joking about the ejected uterus. All the stories cited are true (names have been changed to protect the overshared).

Rob the Rev

posted December 8, 2009 at 9:33 am

When I was part of the evangelical-fundi community, thank God I have escaped, I hated those open prayer circles where everyone felt pressure to have to offer a pray, no matter how inane. I hated most those “Just” prayers. “O-Lord, we’re just so thankful to be together. We just want to praise you. We just hope you save our sinfuf friends and family….” You get the picture.
If Christians want to pray they should follow Jesus’ admonition and go into their private prayer closet rather than praying in public where they are making a show of their piety.

ransacker

posted December 9, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Mark,
The eject-a-uterus is actually a possibility. Have experienced uterine and cervical dislocations in my job in medical field. Or as my charge nurse yelled “J*sus, her hoo-ha is falling out…….Page Dr. _________!”. Sorry for all the technical jargon.

stephanie drury

posted December 9, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I work in the medical field too and uterine prolapse is disturbingly common. And appetite-killing.

Nathan

posted December 10, 2009 at 8:22 pm

The worst type of overshare via prayer request is the overshare via prayer request on social networking sites.

Still Breathing

posted December 13, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Uterine prolapse is the one thing that makes men glad their bits are always outside and vulnerable to attack!

Kurtis PK

posted December 26, 2009 at 11:27 am

Not only do Christians overshare on prayer chains, but those of us in the medical profession tend to as well. I am doubly burdened by the demon of oversharing, so if you all could just pray that God would just keep me from oversharing I would just be so blessed. But, this one time this patient came in with really bad constipa….Oh! I can feel that hedge of protection growing due to all you prayer warriors. It’s a God thing and God is moving, unlike my patient’s bowels. I hope all of you had a merry Xma, I mean CHRISTmas.

zenitsa tsoneva

posted January 5, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Please, pray for the world church-to wash our shame;
And for our sisters and brothers, who serve in the Muslim countries;
And for Israel-to place God on first place, not the promised land;
And for Bulgaria-my country-to repent and to glorify God with good deeds;
And for me-I want to know what love is!
Thanks, be blessed!

BallardAnna31

posted January 22, 2011 at 1:34 am

According to my own exploration, billions of persons in the world get the loan from well known creditors. Therefore, there is a good possibility to find a student loan in every country.