Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#103 Guiltily watching Oprah

posted by Stephanie Drury

oprah1sm.jpg
Christian women are on the fence about Oprah. Her touting of “The Secret” with its new age agenda rubs them entirely the wrong way. They also don’t appreciate her cohabitating with Stedman, her angling towards gay acceptance, suggesting there could be many paths to God, and especially not the part she played in electing Obama.

They worry about her wide influence which is so obviously not Christ-centered, yet even they have to admit her episode about mom jeans did them a world of good.

The conflict sits in the pit of their stomachs every time they see she’s having an Oprah’s Best Things episode or documenting a road trip with Gayle.

(Same goes double for Ellen.)

oprahellen2.jpg

Mary

posted November 20, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Stephy-
Oprah is also way into the Secret-which is actually very close to evangelical christiandom as all you have to do it believe and it will happen. “Name it and claim it” anyone? It’s the same, but without the God.

Chrissy

posted November 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm

The “Finding the Perfect Bra” episode also leaves Christian women on the fence. Cuz the perfect bra WILL change your life!
It’s a shame that they’re not on the fence about Ellen. Ellen cracks me up if I ever end up watching her show. But she’s a carpet muncher, so letting her entertain you is a definite no-no.

Anna

posted November 20, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Were you inspired to do this one because Ellen is on the cover of “O” this month? I love them both. Kind of sad that Oprah’s show will end in 2011, even if I didn’t watch it except with my grandma.

Steph G

posted November 20, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Several years ago some of my Christian friends believed that Oprah was/is the anti-Christ. I think some of them now believe that Obama is the anti-Christ instead of Oprah.

JustMe

posted November 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I haven’t had much contact with evangelical culture since I graduated college, but there must be some kind of evangelical culture stereotype of having a “gay friend” or something like that, right? If so, Ellen would fulfill that niche, I assume.

Laura

posted November 20, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Oh, this is so bad, you would think this is an exaggeration, but it’s NOT! One of my friends who is a pastor’s wife posted on her Facebook that she was watching Ellen even though she know she shouldn’t. It’s ridiculous. (The next day, when she complained about the worldly values on “the Office” of all things, I told her not everyone was Baptist! She basically replied that they should be!) I don’t understand it. I am not an Oprah fan, but it’s not for the same reason, that’s for sure!

Chrissy

posted November 22, 2009 at 1:54 am

Justme: I don’t think Ellen could fulfill it, because it has to be a gay friend that you have “great conversations” with and are secretly trying to convert so they’ll stop being gay. Watching Ellen won’t help them save anyone. But maybe you’re right, cuz they may feel they have cred. when telling gay people in real life that they watch Ellen, which proves they can “love gay people, but hate ‘what they do.'” Ultimately, I think watching Ellen is frowned upon.
Laura: Did you ask her why she felt guilty? Cuz I kind of want her to just say what she means: God hates gay people. Lady should just stop watching TV.

Emily

posted November 22, 2009 at 8:55 am

JustMe: It must be a long time since I was involved with evangelicals, but I recall being chewed out by my youth minister because I had a gay friend. When I pointed out that Jesus would’ve kept him as a friend, my mother was called in, and they “prayed for my soul.”
Are Christians allowed gay friends now?

Em

posted November 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Emily: It’s a big thing these days to befriend gay people, but as someone already said, only as long as you are secretly trying to convert them and that’s the real reason behind the friendship. People used to criticize me for having gay/bi friends just because I liked them, and tell me I was “wasting an opportunity to share Christ”.
Really I think it just makes people feel like they’re spies for God, or something. Undercover for Jesus!

Steve

posted November 23, 2009 at 9:58 am

I love this “befriending gays” so you can witness to them stuff. When I was in Inter-Varsity 30+ years ago (Egad!), the idea was to have non-Christian friends (gay or straight) for the primary purpose of witnessing to them. Some things haven’t changed. I’m beyond that–I have friends for the sake of having friends, because I need and love them for who they are, not because I need to witness to somebody or because they’re supposedly lost and need what I have (did we ever think they might have something we don’t?).

stephanie drury

posted November 23, 2009 at 11:13 am

Yeah, totally. Speaking of befriending people so you can witness to them, I put some more about that here. http://blog.beliefnet.com/stuffchristianculturelikes/2008/09/43-having-only-christian-friends.html

Spinning in Air

posted November 30, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Well, ideally (per evangelical culture), the gay and/or non-Christian friends should be deeply troubled, because that means that they really need the Lord and makes it OK to witness to them.
Someone like Ellen, who is both funny and apparently happy, doesn’t quite meet the criteria. ;-)

Spinning in Air

posted November 30, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Not sure who made the “spies for God” comment, but you nailed it! It’s like a roleplaying game in a lot of ways…

jess

posted December 8, 2009 at 12:31 pm

These are hilarious! So glad I found you from your comment!

Julia Simpson

posted March 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Pretty nice blog you’ve got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.
Julia Simpson