Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#77 Getting plugged in

posted by Stephanie Drury

“Get plugged in” is a phrase used by assorted pastoral staff to encourage church involvement. The youth pastor especially desires for you to get plugged in. He is the most frequent user of this phrase. Close behind him in rate of saying “get plugged in” are small-group leaders, singles pastors, the young adults leader, and the director of the parking ministry. (The parking ministry is a special phenomenon exclusive to very large churches and will be discussed further in a future post.)

The phrase “getting plugged in” is not used in relation to the senior adults ministry. It does not appeal to their demographic.

Anonymous

posted April 16, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Can’t leave out the ‘Set up/Tear down ministry’. Always room to get plugged in there! Ministry least likely to be suggesting you get plugged-in…. “Worship Team”. They are a tight knit club, like their name suggests… a TEAM.

David

posted April 16, 2009 at 2:54 pm

getting plugged = murdered by the mobgetting plugged up = painful bowel troublegetting plugged in = joyful church ministry

Anonymous

posted April 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Wow. I googled “parking ministry” and saw for myself how it actually exists… in abundance! Definitely looking forward to that post.

Mark (under construction)

posted April 17, 2009 at 2:31 am

plugged in for Jesus, that’s me!!!NOW – will someone flick the switch so I can receive a little power? … I don’t just want to be plugged in … I want to be switched on.

Anonymous

posted April 17, 2009 at 9:47 am

I agree with the other Anonymous. Parking ministry, that’s just…wow. Looking forward to it!-L.

The Disorganized Thoughts of a B-type Personality

posted April 17, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I laughed aloud when I read this. We totally use this at Challenge, my campus ministry: getting “plugged in” to a small group bible study. We could use a parking ministry, actually. Our parking lot needs Jesus badly.

frollickingponies

posted April 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I read your entire blog today and wrote to my friend Steven Rosa just now:”It was actually… lately, I’ve been finding articulation difficult, and in response swelling up around me are waves of people articulating vague yet strong tensions I feel, and her writing did that. Because I find myself toeing the edge of Christianity. I kept pulling back and also feeling guilty. I would ask myself, “Why you draw back? Why do you leave church feeling desolated?” I kept feeling accused that I didn’t believe in the essence of the faith but it’s the culture that is so repellent, and I resist joining that culture… but I also felt like I was crazy and imagining a culture that didn’t exist… that if you truly followed the faith, you would just become like this. But she blatantly put out there what I’d been vaguely resisting. There is a Christian culture that has nothing to do with the faith. So basically I felt affirmed.”Thank you for writing this!

Simone

posted April 20, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Is the idea of getting plugged suppose to indicate that the ministry is current and part of the tech savvy present and future? Like you get involved in church related stuff much like you are involved with computers by means of a plug?

David

posted April 20, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Heh, heh…do I get some extra credit for reminding you of “Parking Ministry” in the Megachurch comment thread below ? ;)

stephy

posted April 20, 2009 at 4:44 pm

You do! David Huff gets credit for the forthcoming parking ministry post!

Mark (under construction)

posted April 21, 2009 at 3:56 am

ummmm … could I volunteer for a ‘parking ministry’ role? I’ve got my own safety, glow in the dark vest with a badge depicting a smiley face.

frollickingponies

posted April 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Oh good! I was afraid a “thanks for writing this” comment might come across as trite.I’m from Houston, specifically Pearland… I think we hail from pretty much opposite parts, eh?

Anonymous

posted May 3, 2009 at 5:26 am

It is really hilarious that you critique ‘Christian’ culture in ways that demonstrate how they try to mimic the world around them yet you mimic a blog that already was doing the same thing.http://stufffchristianslike.blogspot.com/Your blog used to be enjoyable to read, now it just comes across as arrogant, as though everyone should just think and like what you like.

stephy

posted May 3, 2009 at 8:13 am

Anonymous, just so you know – if you’ll look on the side of my blog near the top you’ll see I linked Stuff Christians Like and put “He thought of it first” and I also link “Stuff White People Like,” which is where I initially got the idea from. I linked the Stuff White People Like from the very first post of doing this, and then a few entries later found Stuff Christians Like and I so I put that link there too. Also along with my disclaimer that I’ve done everything I talk about here on my blog, for whatever that’s worth.I’ve emailed with the guy who does Stuff Christians Like and he’s really nice, a really great guy.

Micah

posted May 6, 2009 at 9:28 am

In high school the megachurch in town called their youth group “The Outlet” and every Wednesday all the faithful wore their “Outlet” t-shirt that said “Plugged in Yet?” on the back.And here I thought they were the only ones to have had such a remarkable insight…

Kari

posted August 21, 2009 at 8:19 am

I've always winced at the sound of church-speak. Stephy, can you please broach the subject of "unspoken" prayer requests? Those drive me crazy.

Austin Gandy

posted September 11, 2009 at 9:12 pm

It's sort of like this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JYIJPjpCFcBut… you know, people, not pickles.