Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#65 Not Nancy Pelosi

posted by Stephanie Drury
Photobucket

Christian culture just can’t stand Nancy Pelosi. She makes ‘em all want to spit nails.

Jeff Whitfield

posted February 25, 2009 at 7:41 am

Hey, I’m not even a conservative “Christian” and even I can’t stand Nancy Pelosi. I don’t necessarily hate her as a person. I just can’t stand her heavy handedness with the Democratic party. She talks a good game about being more bi-partisan and playing nice with Republicans…but then she puts her foot in her mouth and says something really stupid.

Laura Toepfer

posted February 25, 2009 at 7:47 am

So not Nancy Pelosi and not Hillary Clinton (#54)…coincidence or theme? Are there any women in politics Christian Culture likes?

stephy

posted February 25, 2009 at 7:54 am

It seems to be becoming a theme, but they do love Sarah Palin (#47).

Tim

posted February 25, 2009 at 9:24 am

Could you explain who she is and why she is hated for those of us not familiar with the ins and outs of North American personalities?Thanks :o)Really enjoy this blog – please keep it up.

Laura Toepfer

posted February 26, 2009 at 8:31 am

Nancy Pelosi is the Speaker of the House of Representatives, which makes her next in line to be president after the VP. She’s a Democrat from San Francisco, which is the absolutely worst kind, a liberal’s liberal. And a liberal Catholic to boot. I mean, really! And she gets to control what kind of legislation appears before the House, which means she has a lot of power to set the legislative agenda (as I understand it).And, Stephy, of course, why didn’t I think of Sarah Palin?!

Anonymous

posted February 26, 2009 at 10:11 am

I just saw your blog for the first time and it’s hilarious and thought-provoking. But you need to do one on the lesser-known division of Christian culture which is the counter-Christian culture group. These people usually grew up in the church, but somewhere along the way became disillusioned and picked up a negative attitude. They cuss, smoke, drink, and usually do pot. They love talking dirty about sex and anything else that would make their parents blush. They like talking philosophy and rejecting as much as possible of the traditional faith. They do whatever they want in the name of freedom and are not non-Christians, but are danged close. Wish I had a picture to give you, maybe an emo kid?

stephy

posted February 26, 2009 at 10:31 am

I know what you mean about the counter-Christian culture group. I think I might be one of them. It prolly needs an entire blog of its own.

Tim

posted February 27, 2009 at 2:13 am

Thanks, Laura :o)

Shaw

posted March 1, 2009 at 12:53 am

FYI – I was accosted last week in a Whole Foods parking lot for not knowing why I should sign a petition to impeach Pelosi. I realize Whole Foods parking lot isn’t a traditional Christian Culture stomping ground…this may have been that other kind of fundamentalist, the militant liberal kind, for whom no one (not even Representatives from San Francisco) will ever be quite liberal enough (although I suspect this petition may have been regarding some other offense I still haven’t had time to figure out). Hmmm.

Kara

posted March 2, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Love the blog – I too grew up in Christian culture (PK) and my whole family is in it, but I’m now Presbyterian, and curiously, many of these things do not apply to this group. I would love to see your list include comments on a few that I see a lot of in Christian culture (which is to say, that my mom is really into): Israel, “hip” Old Testament boy names (e.g., Elijah, Micah, Jonah, Isaiah…they all seem to end in ah), Mother’s Day (which was like a church holiday growing up, and HAD to include post church brunch for the corsaged mom, grandma, et al…) prayer chains and backrub chains. And also, maybe this was just my youth group, “smear the queer” on church retreats… (when we weren’t playing “truth or dare” behind the leaders’ back).Thanks for the great social commentary!

stephy

posted March 4, 2009 at 7:24 am

Kara, thanks for the ideas! Backrub chains…check.

Archie Mck

posted March 5, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Condoleezza Rice would be somewhat of a personal hero in politics but probably not the most “christiany” choice…

Anonymous

posted March 8, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Yeah, not sure about Condi. Let’s not forget – the Christian Culture we are talking about is White Christian Culture. Am I right?

stephy

posted March 8, 2009 at 3:11 pm

There are lots of subsets of Christian culture but I am mainly familiar with evangelical north American Christian culture that often (but not always) sets up camp in warehouses churches with parking teams.

David

posted March 11, 2009 at 10:56 am

Wow, a "Christian Culture" thing I can get behind. I'm definitely a Democrat and quite socially liberal, and I'm not at all a fan of Speaker Pelosi.She's done all the classic wrong things since the '08 elections… Over-reached, been heavy handed & arrogant, jumped head first back into a big gov't, big spending "liberal Dem" agenda. She's everything about my party that I don't like. ::sigh::

Billy

posted June 10, 2009 at 7:33 am

Wrong, nobody outside of ultra left like Nancy Pelosi. Concerning waterboarding…CIA- "Did you know about the torture?"Pelosi- "I wasn't briefed on it."Cia- "That's not what I asked, did you know about it?"Pelosi- "Well yes, I knew about it, but I hadn't been briefed on it."She's an idiot, just like Al Gore. You liked that, didn't you?

Sandra

posted June 17, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Cheers to Billy and David.. I whole heartedly agree.

Anonymous

posted August 31, 2009 at 11:28 pm

who does like that woman?

Anonymous

posted September 2, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I don't really like Nancy Pelosi. She's OK in some ways, really annoying in other.What I don't understand is Christian conservatives hate her so much. She went to a all girls school. She has been married to the same man for 46 years. She has FIVE children.Maybe it's that she's an Italian, Catholic, liberal and most "Christians" only like WASP conservatives. Those dirty, swarthy, Italian Catholics just can't be trusted.Just stick with those great guys like Newt Gingrich. What a great Speaker! (Baptist and married THREE times!) Uh oh, he's turned Catholic and is going to burn in hell like Pelosi now.

torcik

posted September 6, 2009 at 8:40 pm

She talks a good game about being more bi-partisan and playing nice with Republicans…but then she puts her foot in her mouth and says something really stupid. I think she is in the wrong party. She would make a great RepublicanNext up:And a liberal Catholic to bootThe whore of babylonI mean, really! And she gets to control what kind of legislation appears before the House, which means she has a lot of power to set the legislative agendaI could swear that you were talking about Tom Delay(as I understand it). You don.tNext upShe's an idiot, just like Al Gore. She's an idiot, just like Al Gore. You liked that, didn't youYes I did. Whats even funnier is that you probably voted for Bush who give new meaning to it idiot. At least Pelosi and Gore could speak in complete sentences and use words with more then one syllable, You liked that, didn't you Those dirty, swarthy, Italian Catholics just can't be trusted.Are you talking about scalia. No wonder they hate the supreme court-It has so many Catholics and JewsJohn Roberts (Chief Justice) CatholicStephen G. Breyer JewishRuth Bader Ginsburg JewishAnthony M. Kennedy CatholicAntonin Scalia CatholicDavid H. Souter EpiscopalianJohn Paul Stevens ProtestantClarence Thomas CatholicSamuel Alito Catholic