Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#56 Grunge Fonts

posted by Stephanie Drury
Photobucket

by guest contributor Becca Jubie

Christian items marketed to teens usually use an “extreme,” “edgy” or “grunge” font. Like teenagers will not respond to your basic Helvetica.

Photobucket

Teens are extreme, what can I say?

Photobucket

Bruno

posted December 12, 2008 at 7:08 am

ah!!The smell of marketing in the morning!

Anonymous

posted December 12, 2008 at 12:56 pm

thanks, Stephanie! I love your choice of photos! That Napoleon Dynamite one is awesome. Rock on, fired-up Christian teens!Becca

Cabernet Leather

posted December 13, 2008 at 4:29 am

Grunge – like many aspects of Christian culture – so 1994.

shelly

posted December 15, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I’d rather see a grunge font advertising a youth ministry event than Comic Sans (which really is the devil’s font, IMO).This New Year’s Eve, my “house of worship” is having a band play to ring in 2009, and the entire night is geared toward the youth. On the door is a small poster. Not a grunge font in sight…but plenty of a fontaholic’s worst nightmare (Comic Sans).

Anonymous

posted December 15, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Steph… Love the blog… Just to let you know since it has been a while sinceyou lived in the Bible buckle… Our youth use a combo of things like at our church, "THE EDGE" on Wed nite and "ELEVATE" on Sunday … And they use a ripped off slogan like, "A BREAD CRUMB & FISH" in the Abercromni font….Rod

Snap to it! Sanp in time!

posted December 16, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Nice contribution, Becca! I’m glad a designer’s eye has taken a shine to this phenomenon.

zack

posted December 17, 2008 at 2:55 pm

I have to say that the last font is pretty contemporary (07-08). Hand made fonts are hottt right now and with the advent of the film Juno’s advertising and motion graphics -and the film’s subsequent success- the handmade font is going deeply commercial which makes this church actually right on target. It seems to me that most things marketed to teens use the hipster typographic methods of the day… the language works. So maybe ‘marketing’ is the really the gross side of this one.

stephy

posted December 17, 2008 at 2:57 pm

That last font is pretty contemporary, and extreme! What can I say, teens are extreme.

robert j. blugenbazen

posted December 19, 2008 at 8:25 pm

this video is somewhat on topic (frosted tips on a mohawk sported by edgy youth guy) so check it outhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsHH_HYSkH8selected highlights::37 and while you’re down there grab a couple socks1:13 commence sock spinning2:57 put your hands in the ai-yair, wave em like you just don’t ca-yair3:50 grab your partner do-si-do, don’t be shy just let it go5:41 love train8:10 raging synth solo

David Rudel

posted January 10, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I think this comes form some subconscious rapport among all young Christians to find a way to be rebellious that is impervious to even arch-conservative attack.”Sure, I don’t drink, smoke, or watch PG-13-rated movies, and I think war is a happier word than crap, but check out my fonts!!”

Anonymous

posted March 23, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I’m predicting that the Juno movie graphics style will be adopted and embraced by Christian Culture big time. it’s already so recycled and safe… harmlessly edgy.

Amy

posted May 28, 2009 at 10:59 am

Professional Graphic Designer here.This is not a phenomenon related to Christian Culture.EVERYTHING marketed to teens has a grunge font. (Or faux handwritten a la Napoleon Dynamite.)They DONT respond to Helvetica, and neither does anyone else.Is there a problem with using current marketing trends that appeal to the market segment that you’re trying to appeal to?I ask because the Christian Culture I grew up in would most surely say, “YES! It’s WRONG! Marketing is evil! Be not Of the World!” and would seriously disapprove of any so-called church that would do such a sinful thing….So if targeted marketing seems like a crazy, out-there idea, maybe you aren’t nearly as far removed from Christian Culture as you like to think!

a.barefoot

posted June 18, 2009 at 11:06 am

Wow…that you tube video above made my day. I'm at work and had to cover my mouth from laughing too loud…what does any of that have to do with God? Oh, nothing.

thisistemporary

posted August 13, 2009 at 11:35 am

if it looks cool, teens know you care about them…or that you're at least trying.

i am

posted August 31, 2009 at 11:11 pm

grunge is SO OLD. don't churches EVER observe about whats cool around them?

Steener

posted December 2, 2010 at 7:42 pm

when I see a grungy font on an ad. i almost always think, chuch ad, comin’ up. Also does an ad for a church thats marketing to teens and/or hipsters NOT have a grung font??