Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#46 LMBO

posted by Stephanie Drury
Photobucket

This acronym is the wholesome version of the secular LMAO.

The alteration to LMAO was likely made in observation of Ephesians 4:29 which says “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”

The logical conclusion here is that butt is more beneficial than ass. LMBO is very popular with the homeschooling sector.

Photobucket

Jennifer

posted September 25, 2008 at 12:44 pm

I’m totally gonna throw this in my next email…LMBO super funny! On a side note, I just got an email from my church about a Workshop for Women tomorrow night…wanna go?

3rdpewnorth

posted September 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm

LMAO,,,, oh, oopslmbo,, don’t feel any different, but still laughing. and spell check doesn’t like LMBO,,, maybe my computer isn’t saved!?!?!

Simone

posted September 25, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Since that quote says it’s okay to say things from which people can benefit, it sounds like swearing IS okay if it cracks people up and makes them feel at ease. I’m good to go, though that doesn’t really permit me to call people c***s when I’m driving.

David Rudel

posted September 25, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Bah, the whole “cusswords are bad” thingy is just another way for Christians to try to set themselves apart from others in a way that has no Biblical foundation. Paul is not talking about profanity here…and only those who desire to read that into the passage should see it.Indeed, Paul essentially used the word shit in one of his own epistles [Philippians 3:8...the word nicely translated as "dung, garbage, refuse, rubbish," or "filth" is pretty close to the Greek "shit."[shortest comment yet!]

stephy

posted September 26, 2008 at 9:00 am

When my husband was in some language class at Regent College he learned that about the Greek ‘scubula’ that Paul used which is translated as “loss.” I count everything as loss. Yeah right! Paul said shit.

Magnus

posted September 28, 2008 at 11:03 am

I am reminded of how people used “hocus pick” instead of “holy shit”. “Shuckey darn” was also big with Mennonites.

juls

posted September 28, 2008 at 10:10 pm

bobby this was a reference – lmbo- to balls, no?btw i just used this reference on my facebook status. i didn’t even know that this was a censored slang word. and i used it. man, scary. actually i didn’t even know what LMAO was. I AM SO PURE!

Big Doofus (Roger)

posted November 10, 2008 at 10:01 am

I agree. I’ve tried to teach my kids this, too. However, I also want them to think before they speak whenever possible. For whatever reasons, it may offend a good friend of mine if I say, “shit” but they have no issue with me saying, “crap.” I just find that so bizarre. But it’s better to not lord your freedom over someone else that might struggle with it–that’s even scriptural.

stephy

posted November 10, 2008 at 10:58 am

I smell homeschool on Big Doofus.

Steve

posted February 17, 2009 at 11:18 am

I gotta get me that LMAO shirt!

cwm

posted September 5, 2010 at 11:40 am

“Butt” sounds more vulgar than “ass.”
Isn’t it merely a matter of interpretation?
(Oh no, don’t mention that word! Drives some people nuts. Particularly those who act as if Scripture originated with the KJV.)