Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#39 Side Hugs

posted by Stephanie Drury
Photobucket

When greeting someone of the opposite sex, Christians often employ the side hug. This is an unwritten rule of greeting so that you don’t mash your naughty bits together and trigger stumbling.*

Photobucket

*The Christian phenomenon of not causing others to “stumble” usually refers to lusting and will be discussed further in a future post.

Jojoellen

posted August 28, 2008 at 5:03 pm

hahahhaha. to funny. actually sometimes i side hug cause i dont want someones nasty parts to close to me. lol. Dont forget the little pats on the back too with side hug. :O)

mattmetzger

posted August 28, 2008 at 8:57 pm

lol, i belong to a facebook group called “side hugs suck, give me a real hug you pansy”

Simone

posted August 29, 2008 at 12:12 am

I don’t think Christian culture smiles upon side or any other style of hug with Richard Simmons. I haven’t hugged with him (too sweaty after class), but I have had many kisses on the cheek. Eeeek!

Melissa

posted August 29, 2008 at 9:24 am

I give my brother in law a side hug and a pat, only because the thought of smashing my boobs into his chest makes me gag.

Joshua Duncan

posted September 1, 2008 at 5:26 am

I think the ‘dark side’ of the side-hug is the potential communication to girls that they should be embarrassed by or ashamed of their bodies. That was a huge phenomenon I can remember from my church camp years.What about the side-hug’s cousin, the ‘lean-in hug?’

angela aka mrs. maverick

posted September 2, 2008 at 3:21 pm

LMBO! what have i gotten myself into by reading this blog? side hugs:{This is an unwritten rule of greeting so that you don’t mash your naughty bits together and trigger stumbling.*} too funny.

Roberta Flack

posted September 4, 2008 at 12:04 pm

I hug from behind. Is that weird?

Katie

posted September 4, 2008 at 2:24 pm

This post (and blog) is hilarious!! And what makes it so funny is there’s so much truth to it!! I hate the side-hug! It absolutely drives me crazy… if you’re gonna hug me, hug me like you mean it!

Megs

posted September 8, 2008 at 7:28 pm

hi Stephy! your wit is hilarious! thankfully i’ve managed to live much of life without being ‘side-hugged’, however the exception is an old friend whose home I once arrived at in a sexy mini skirt. He ran out to my car, looked down at the ground and asked me if I would be so kind as to cover my legs, as there were lots of men in the house, and i would cause them to lust… omigod, what does one SAY???!!!!!!!

Anonymous

posted September 12, 2008 at 1:23 pm

stephy

posted September 13, 2008 at 9:56 am

I know, that guy had the idea way before I did. He’s the true original.

E. Louise

posted December 8, 2008 at 11:52 am

I don’t think we side-hug so much in the UK and when I came to the US/Canada I got into some awkward embraces with people I thought were gearing up for a hug. One time I got kissed on the neck.Now I shoot out my hand for a handshake or dive in for a hug they can’t avoid and will always remember. Ps I know a church where the men-leader-types won’t shake women’s hands for fear of, well, I don’t know what. This makes Devious Me want to give them a giant bear hug and watch them explode.

Amanda Fowle

posted February 23, 2009 at 5:39 pm

OMG YES! I was in the BSU (Baptist Student Union) in college, and we were instructed, yes verbally and visually–girl to girl, on how to give side hugs and not have our boobs make contact. Love your blog!

unsure what to think

posted April 20, 2009 at 6:50 pm

what are you advocating then? are we not to avoid all appearance of evil? I see your points, but this seems to be mocking purity. anyone can make fun of things, and I see that you’re pointing out the shallowness and hypocrisy in many Christians, but what is the better way?

Hollan

posted August 25, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Its funny that theres a picture of Threes Company side-hugging. Christians hated Three's Company. My brother and I used to sneak and watch it.

Anonymous

posted September 7, 2009 at 10:23 pm

MASH your naughty bits together!BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA! ! ! ! ! ! !JEREMIAH

rachel

posted September 17, 2009 at 12:25 pm

HOLY LOL!!!

phillip

posted October 21, 2009 at 2:36 pm

this is halarious. love it. I'm also from the evangelical christian background *baptist* and it's so true. I created a group on facebook called "Side Hugs suck give me a real hug you panzy!" Ya'll should join it :)

The Thief

posted February 24, 2010 at 7:01 pm

In seminary, there was this guy named Nick who would hug most obnoxiously – the huge bear hug type. Even after he’d finished playing basketball. Shirtless. And he was hairy and fat.
I just gagged a little bit thinking about it.
We referred to being hugged by him as being “Nicked.”
I would have preferred not to touch him at all.

jaigner

posted March 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Baptists now hold that we should be leery of sex, lest it lead to full-frontal hugs.

Filaw

posted July 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm

No one in my group of friends, family and peers could possible be confused for a follower of “Christian Culture”, but I gotta say, I love the side hug.

It comes in really handy when your meeting your husbands great-uncle for the first time, for instance, and he’s clearly moving in for a hug (because technically we’re family and a handshake would feel to formal) but that much contact with this near stranger would just feel skeezy. Side-hug to the rescue.

It doesn’t seem like people handshake much in friendly, nutty, liberal California. We side hug. It’s the happy medium.