Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#3 Coldplay

posted by Stephanie Drury

Julie and I were discussing this last night.

Julie: “Why does every evangelical Christian listen to Coldplay? It’s shitty art!”

Me: “It’s innocuous, that’s why they like it.”

Julie: “But does innocuous mean you should listen to it? It doesn’t make you think or make you feel any way other than just kind of numb. All of my Christian culture friends have Coldplay on their Facebook profiles.”

I think she makes a decent case.

Photobucket

*For the record I don’t think Coldplay is outright shitty, I just think it is sort of uninspired yet highly listen-able. A bit like Christian culture.

Magnus

posted August 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm

I’m not a Coldplay fan by any means, but is it any surprise that so many Evangelical Christians listen to Coldplay? Listen to what gets pushed on Evangelicals and it is outstanding by comparison.The subculture propagated by many Western Christians is just simply banal. Coldplay is bland and innocuous, but it is a damed site more exciting that most Christian bands I have ever heard.That said, Coldplay is still a great substitute for valium.BTW, I found this blog through Monica

Anonymous

posted August 21, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Steph, I’m a bit confused. I understood your profile to mean you’re married to a Christian pastor. But your response to Julie about Coldplay is: Me: “It’s innocuous, that’s why they like it.”Focusing on the “they,” I guess I’m just wondering if you identify yourself as Christian or not? Also, you seem to have an extremely pessimistic view of the intelligence of any or all Christians. Do you believe all Christians to be inherently feeble minded?

Anonymous

posted August 28, 2008 at 7:02 pm

i think her profile said she’s married to the son of a pastor. aka they’re both preacher’s kids, not necessarily that he Is a preacher. fyi.

Prince Robert of Luxembourg

posted September 4, 2008 at 11:39 am

I was introduced to Coldplay by a pastor/friend in the spring of 2001. Since he also introduced me to Red House Painters, Godspeed You Black Emperor, and Elvis I think he can be forgiven this offense. Sometimes innocuous just hits the spot.

Fiona

posted November 18, 2008 at 6:50 pm

oh dear. i liked coldplay in their very early innocuous days, long before i became churchified and still have a soft spot for them…does that just make me really, really boring?!

nic gibson

posted November 24, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I fit a lot of these but I am with Chuck Klostermann on Coldplay. My wife likes them, but I won’t even really try them. It just seems like elevator music.

Mikey

posted April 29, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Coldplay? Never heard of ‘em.

Sarah & Patrick

posted June 19, 2009 at 8:29 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Why waste our time with garbage like this. If you believe that God wants the best for you, don't spend your time listening to poorly written, poorly executed, bland music. This is shitty art!I'm having fun readinf all your posts and replying to many of them today.

Chandler

posted June 28, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Wow.. Stephanie, you have nailed the things I have been saying for years… and so profoundly. I think I have a crush on you.

Anonymous

posted July 21, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I had never heard of Coldplay until I read that they stole music from Joe Satriani. Now, while I don't normally listen to secular music out of personal preference, I can't deny my man Satch. Fortunately, most of his albums are fully instrumental. I found this blog while searching to see if Coldplay is a Christian band. Being unfamiliar with them, I doubted it.

Anonymous

posted July 30, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I agree that they're innocuous . . . but one of their lyrics is "Oh, and I don't have a soul to save. Yes, and I sin every single day." An unexpected lump in the oatmeal! :)

stephy

posted July 30, 2009 at 3:06 pm

It's interesting to me that a line like that would make an entire culture rabid for them, when lots of other bands who are what we'd call 'secular' talk about sinning and needing to be saved, but the Christians don't jump on that train. I postulate that it's the safely-barely-edgy appeal Coldplay has that makes Christian culture nuts about them.

posted September 6, 2009 at 10:04 am

Actually Christian Culture likes them because Hansen aren't making records anymore.

ElktoothChain

posted September 6, 2009 at 10:06 am

Coldplay is incredible and if you don't agree then you're simply too concerned with being anti-trendy then with actually judging someone's creative output for yourself.I and many of my musician friends have been listening to Coldplay since their early days (back when only underground indie kids liked them, before they had multi-million dollar worldwide stadium tours, etc.) Coldplay are simply great musicians that are great at what they do. They are not innocuous or bland, unless you mean to call the entire genre to which they belong also innocuous and bland (this would include anything from Iron & Wine to Sleeping at Last, Homer Hiccolm & the Rocket Boys, and many others besides). I think it's funny that so many people are so concerned with talking about how Coldplay is a horrible band just because they're popular. Most people ranted and raved about how great they were before X & Y hit it big (consequently, that is my favorite album by them, despite the fact that the band itself has gone on to call it their weakest). I haven't personally observed any particular affinity within the typical Christian community for Coldplay, at least not any more than within pop culture in general. However, as many popular artists do not deserve the fame or recognition they get, Coldplay has been and continues to be one very big exception to that. IF you don't like them, fine. But don't pretend like you have some sort of extra validity to call them talentless and banal. I know plenty of serious musicians that think Coldplay is phenomenal, so where's the truth?

posted September 6, 2009 at 10:33 am

One can't argue with taste, Elktooth. Coldplay is indeed incredible if you like them, but by the same token you can't fault anyone for not liking them. You may as well argue about your favorite color.This post is not about the horribleness of Coldplay, it's about why Evangelicals like such a horrible band.

stephy

posted September 6, 2009 at 12:03 pm

HAHA "I know plenty of serious musicians that think Coldplay is phenomenal, so where's the truth?"The truth is that what you like is what you like, that taste is the enemy of art, that art is the enemy of rock and roll, and that a lot of evangelical Christians I know love Coldplay. LOVE them. This blog is nothing if not a big generalization and if my experience isn't the same as yours, that's totally cool. Yeah, the post isn't about the horribleness of Coldplay, it's that Christian culture as I've experienced it likes Coldplay & that I don't think they're outright shitty. I think I wrote that there. I don't think I have any sort of extra validity to call them talentless and banal so that's why I didn't call them talentless and banal. I do however think I have some validity to be a giant corndog and admit that I like a Miley Cyrus song, so I'm going to go ahead and do that.

posted September 6, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I like Boston, and it's more than a feeling.

stephy

posted September 7, 2009 at 9:14 am

I'm loving "I and many of my musician friends have been listening to Coldplay since their early days (back when only underground indie kids liked them)." So douchey.

Anonymous

posted September 7, 2009 at 10:12 am

I know a few people who are into the Coldplay and none of them are church goers. Coldplay is a steaming pile of dogsh_t. Jeremiah

posted September 7, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Yes, Stephy. Douchier than fiction.

Amir

posted September 8, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I just wanted to say that elktooth's response literally made me crack up! You'd think you just insulted his mother or something.

posted September 8, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Thanks, Amir! Your laughter is making me laugh about this again.

stephy

posted September 9, 2009 at 6:10 am

Me too! He was mighty defensive. It's because he's been listening to them with his SERIOUS MUSICIAN FRIENDS since BEFORE COLDPLAY GOT BIG!

stephy

posted September 9, 2009 at 6:16 am

Someone on the SCCL facebook page said that Elktooth must have designed this card.

posted September 9, 2009 at 1:10 pm

IB Laffin. I think Rome held onto the Latin Mass for 2,000 years based on the same sentiment.

posted September 9, 2009 at 1:15 pm

POPE: I was listening to God with my serious priest friends, way back before He got big.CALVIN: Is that why you kill Him again every Sunday?

Anonymous

posted September 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I am going to have to agree with some others on this post. I think Coldplay produces enjoyable music, but if someone hates them, I am fine with that as well. I appreciate the observation, but if Christians like Coldplay because the music does not offend their worldview and becuase it is catchy, I am not so sure what is to criticize. I have found this blog to be very funny because I relate so much to the material, but reading through it at times the criticism seems to be a little much.

Anonymous

posted October 7, 2009 at 12:38 pm

ACK! I'm a pretty hardcore atheist and I totally dig Coldplay. And while we're on the subject, damn that Katy Perry and her catchy jingles.

True radiant free (emissary)

posted October 30, 2009 at 6:39 pm

You people need to shut your cursing mouths and stop putting down your fellow Christians. Stop putting people in racial sterotypes. Of a Christian likes coldplay so…. Who cares?!?!? We need to be more concerned about if coldplay really is Christian and we need to pray for them. We need to be careful what we as Christians are listening to.

posted October 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I couldn't hear you, I have a stereotype in my ear.

Chrissy

posted October 31, 2009 at 1:31 am

Dear True radiant free (emissary), Would you mind defining "racial stereotype"?

True Radiant Free (emissary)

posted October 31, 2009 at 4:29 pm

A racial stereotype is when you categorize a specific type of person with liking something. Just like if I were to say all people named Chrissy like hamburgers. What if you dont like hamburgers. Im sure you would negate what i said. It gets worse when you say that certain people like or do serious or harmful things, and they really dont.

stephy

posted October 31, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I thought racial meant something pertains to someone's race. I don't think there is a race called Hamburger, but if there were I would like to belong to that race.

Josh

posted October 31, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I'm a member of the Cheese race. I've been searching all over for the hamburger race. Our kids would be delicious

posted October 31, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I think TRF Emissary means facial stereotypes, because, you know, Steve Tyler and Mick Jagger made people go, Oh, all rock singers have big lips! and then Coldplay used a fish-eye lens on their debut album cover that made their lips look big, so that's why they went platinum, but I mean record sales, not their soul patches, because that would be a facial hair stereotype and then TRF would emissary over to that post and get all, You are all such a facist.

morphingdragon@gmail.com

posted November 1, 2009 at 1:53 am

A lot of "I'm floating on air" alternative bands sound uninspired. It's just how the music has evolved. I like coldplay, especially A rush of blood to the head.Weevil is a good example, a lot of the music is emotionless but its still nice too listen too.If you want an "inspired" christian band, Listen to some Family Force 5… or Mumsdollar's newer work. FF5… is an interesting experiment.

posted November 1, 2009 at 8:15 am

Its still nice too listen too.

Chrissy

posted November 1, 2009 at 10:53 am

TRF(e): Thanks. But what you mean is "stereotyping." Racial stereotyping is when you generalize and assign a common habit to a specific race. Like saying "black people love watermelon." Generally it is true, but I live with a black person who does not like watermelon. There are many exceptions to every stereotype (racial or not), but the generalizations are interesting to examine. Thinking people stereotypically find it fascinating to examine stereotypes. If stereotyping Christian Culture bothers you, I suggest you avoid thinking so stereotypically, and encourage those with whom you pray for Coldplay, to do the same. Then you can have fun with us! As of right now, the non-racial stereotype is proving itself true.

True Radiant Free (emissary)

posted November 1, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Are you people so foolish that you can't see what I meant when I mad the analogy about chrissy and hamburgers. By the way if you're idea of having fun is stereotyping Christians, then that's sure pathetic. Christians are supposed to be set apart from this world, and make an impact by our example. I think you, chrissy, are getting caught up in the stereotype that if you talk like a fool in a blog then you'll feel excepted and part of a group of friends. Make sure it's not death and all his friends.

posted November 1, 2009 at 3:47 pm

No more callers, please. We have a winner.

Chrissy

posted November 1, 2009 at 9:24 pm

TRF(e): Stereotyping Christians is not the fun part. We didn't create the stereotype. It simply exists. The fun part is examining the stereotype that the culture created and encourages. Thinking is fun. Sharing our thoughts is fun. This blog, for me, is a gift from God. "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights." Just tell God you think He gave me a stupid gift. He won't mind. You don't have to like the gifts He gives me. We all receive personal gifts from our Father. My friendship with Stephy is one of them. Don't worry. He'll give you different gifts that you like and need. As of right now, I suggest in all my folly, that you yield to scripture and "Do not answer a fool according to his folly." "Laughter is good medicine." Thanks for contributing to my daily dose, bro.

posted November 1, 2009 at 9:46 pm

God? I think you gave Coldplay a stupid gift.

stephy

posted November 2, 2009 at 6:56 am

True Radiant Free, you don't seem set apart from this world. If the world should know you are a Christian by your love then why are you calling us foolish and pathetic? People who behave like you are the reason I don't want to be a Christian.

posted November 2, 2009 at 9:18 am

And what is the reason people like that seem like the reason?

Josh

posted November 2, 2009 at 8:14 pm

True Radiant Free (emissary) said…Are you people so foolish that you can't see what I meant when I mad the analogy about chrissy and hamburgers.Not really, but you obviously saw what steph and chrissy were talking about by not putting "racial" before stereotype in your last post. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Proud of ya, TRF!P.S. Can I be excepted into the group of friends now?

Chrissy

posted November 2, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Josh, Accepted! And I checked with death to "make sure." He and all his friends are too busy killing people to blog. So we're all clear. We are exceptional :)

True Radiant Free (emissary)

posted November 3, 2009 at 9:03 pm

It's good to hear that at least you have knowledge of the scripture chrissy. But did you happen to see that the next verse after the one you quoted (proverbs 26:5) is "answer a fool according to his folly" It might sound like the two verse contradict each other but not aswering a fool to his folly means not to prolong an argument by becoming foolish in the same way. Answering according to his folly means when you are stating a fact in love because you want to help or explain something. Anyway I'm not here to argue. And now for you stephy: I never called anyone foolish or pathetic. I simply asked if they were foolish, just like Jesus answered the Pharisees with a question. I said that feeling a part of a group by making stereotypes is pathetic. It's people like you who reject Christianity based on twisted words and proudness that make Christians want to be stronger witnesses. I have much compassion for the lost people, and I hope you can come to know Jesus' salvation for everyone, if you would humble yourself.

stephy

posted November 3, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I know where you're coming from. I used to write things to people like the one you just wrote to me.

Chrissy

posted November 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Knowledge of scripture is far from the least I've got. God also blessed me with succulent Double D titties! I'm rubbing them right now. Wanna cyber?

posted November 4, 2009 at 1:06 am

Didn't see that coming.

stephy

posted November 4, 2009 at 7:08 am

VIVA LA VIDA

Josh

posted November 4, 2009 at 8:39 am

"It's good to hear that at least you have knowledge of the scripture chrissy.": Apparently she also has big boobs. I LoL'd."It might sound like the two verse contradict each other but not aswering a fool to his folly means not to prolong an argument by becoming foolish in the same way.":Actually this seems like a contradiction to your argument, since it's almost exactly what I was thinking about you while I was reading your comment"And now for you stephy:" Pins and needles!"I never called anyone foolish or pathetic. I simply asked if they were foolish, just like Jesus answered the Pharisees with a question. I said that feeling a part of a group by making stereotypes is pathetic.":Calling someones actions pathetic is basically the same as calling them pathetic. Nice try but a huge fail in the end."It's people like you who reject Christianity based on twisted words and proudness that make Christians want to be stronger witnesses." Actually, from what I've read, I think Stephy still is a Christian she just pokes fun at the perversion that we call American sub culture Christianity. Hence, your getting all bent out of shape over a post about Coldplay. I don't think Jesus would care much. If I'm wrong, stephy, then I apologize. That's just what I've seen."I have much compassion for the lost people,": You shouldn't be so quick to think that you're the one found…"and I hope you can come to know Jesus' salvation for everyone,": My personal relationship with Jesus has nothing to do with you, let alone "everyone" elseI apologize for the ramble and long post. Look! Chrissy has big boobs! *exits*

posted November 4, 2009 at 9:05 am

Glory, Chrissy, Stephy, glory.

Chrissy

posted November 15, 2009 at 8:29 pm

This clip may clarify any question TRF(e) had regarding stereotypes. Or it will at least make the rest of you laugh and/or cry. This stereotypical Christian puppet show is unabashedly filled with racial stereotypes. Jackpot!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJWdPn8iFKo&feature=player_embedded