Stuff Christian Culture Likes

Stuff Christian Culture Likes

#23 Having Lots of Kids

posted by Stephanie Drury

duggars3.jpgVery rarely do Christian culture people stop at having one or two kids. They like to press on. Sometimes you meet the couple who says “We’re going to have as many kids as the Lord wants us to have,” which begs the question, why don’t you eat all the food in sight? Since it’s available it must mean the Lord wants you to eat it.

You never meet a Christian culture couple who says they don’t want to have any kids. This does not occur in nature.

Geosomin

posted August 18, 2008 at 2:48 pm

That is the best poster.Ever.

Straight from the Norse's Mouth

posted August 18, 2008 at 2:57 pm

This poster is missing a few Duggars! To date there is Joshua, Jana & John-David (twins), Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah & Jeremiah (twins), Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jennifer (and #18 due in January 2009!).

Magnus

posted August 18, 2008 at 4:47 pm

I know a few who don’t.

stephy

posted August 18, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Thanks Magnus, now quit crapping on my points.j/k

Magnus

posted August 18, 2008 at 10:00 pm

A few, which means three.

angela aka mrs. maverick

posted September 2, 2008 at 4:22 pm

1. cookie monster is my favorite muppet 2. i like the duggar family. 3. i found myself among much of your list and still kept reading. 4. i must be slipping.

Shari

posted September 3, 2008 at 7:55 am

You forgot to add that you’re supposed to get married right after high school (or right before graduation) so that you can start making babies ASAP. Of course that’s assuming you don’t have one of those pesky 5 – 6 month pregnancies. . .

kidsareblessings

posted April 20, 2009 at 6:56 pm

we don’t eat as much food as we see because that’s gluttony. but, we should have as many kids as God gives us because that’s His blessing… and contraceptives and other methods of avoiding conception are murder as well.

jmarinara

posted June 7, 2009 at 4:24 pm

"Sometimes you meet the couple who says "We're going to have as many kids as the Lord wants us to have," which begs the question, why don't you eat all the food in sight? Since it's available it must mean the Lord wants you to eat it."There aren't kids that are available for the taking, and having the food in sight doesn't mean that God wants us to eat it.Next.

Anonymous

posted June 18, 2009 at 12:00 am

science has done studys that show links between a persons iq and the number of shildern they have…the smarter the person the less children…which leads me to if all these idiots keep poping out "God Blessings" maybe thats because they are stupid…just some food for thought

jmarinara

posted June 19, 2009 at 8:33 am

It's comments like the one above this one that make for great entertainment. Funny how some people can make personal decisions regarding the size of their family, and are regarded as dumb because they believe in God; yet others can act like a "shild", and pass it off as serious discourse, and no one bats an eye. That's right up there with "everything came from nothing" being smarter than "someone created everything".

stephy

posted June 19, 2009 at 8:39 am

I think jmarinara has a lot of kids.

jmarinara

posted June 19, 2009 at 9:14 am

One actually. A 7 year old boy, and the apple of my eye. :-)Although, admittedly, I'd love to have many more. Not that I feel like I have too, but I want too.

stephy

posted June 19, 2009 at 9:26 am

I have a 7 yr old too, and a 4 yr old. It's the best, huh?

jmarinara

posted June 22, 2009 at 9:51 am

Yeah, I like being a Dad. One of the best things to ever happen to me. :-)

Anonymous

posted August 16, 2009 at 7:17 pm

If they believe that God wants them to have as many children as they can, more power to them. They have a strong faith, and if they can handle it while providing for all of their children, good for them. I have 6 kids, and another one on the way, but I know I'm never having 18! My husband and I got married and had our first at age 26, now we're 35 and having our seventh. This is our last, but we know each one of them is a little blessing from God. :)

Holly

posted August 25, 2009 at 2:40 pm

That poster is the most amazing thing ever. I nearly cried from laughing. The Dugger's freak me out. Shudder.

marie

posted September 1, 2009 at 3:04 pm

A friend of mine from college, who is a conservative Evangelical/Baptist type, got married (saved their first kiss for marriage!) and got pregnant within the first year. I asked her if it was planned. She doesn't believe in birth control, and basically said that letting nature take it's course was the Biblical thing to do. Now, I've read the whole Bible and never found anything to imply that…but I can see how following Calvin's teachings would.

Amber

posted September 2, 2009 at 1:20 am

My husband and I told the church we weren't planning to have kids when he was a youth pastor. Oh noes!!!1! I was seen as evil (read: feminist) for a while, but then we came out as atheists and we were both evil. I am still more evil because I teach in the English department of our local university, which is "a spiritually dark place," thus causing me to pollute my pastor-husband with the taint of the humanities. Love the blog; it's like a snarky trip through my childhood and not-so-distant past. I have to show this to my husband, who definitely had a faux hawk when he was a youth pastor. It wasn't my fault, I swear.

Adele

posted September 9, 2009 at 2:10 pm

From now on if ever my fellow Christians want me to pop out a kid, or two, or 10, I will look them in the eye and proudly say "Its a vagina not a clown car!!"

Rollo Tomassi

posted September 30, 2009 at 10:38 am

Dear Mr./Mrs. Churchy, please, have all the children you like, but for the sake of sanity STOP feeling some moral imperative to give all of your children Biblical names!Naming your kid Jabez, Josiah, Habakkuk or Zebedee wont predispose them to a life of holiness anymore than it implies you're holier for having condemned them to a childhood of ridicule and mispronunciations of their name.I swear, every time a mother comes to pick up her kid from the church childcare and they call for "Zachary", 12 kids look up and say "Yes momma?"

Alix

posted March 30, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Well, if they all have all the kids they possibly can, then they WILL eat all the food in sight.

Pingback: pandagon.net - it's the eye of the panda, it's the thrill of the bite

NancyP

posted March 31, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Too bad these kids don’t have the talent of the Bach lineage.