Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

Abortion Amendments Defeated (With a New Argument)

posted by swaldman

As expected, amendments from Senator Orren Hatch to further restrict abortion were defeated Wednesday.
Most interesting to me is the rise of a new argument: the Senate Finance Committee chairman Max Baucus noted that the status quo is to ban federal funding for abortion — but that the ban has to be renewed each year. The Hatch amendment would have made the ban permanent and therefore, argued Baucus, did not reflect the status quo.
(Both sides have been arguing that they are merely trying to cofidy the status quo rather than move the ball in the direction of their side).
UDPATE: Cathy Grossman at USA Today probes the implications of the committee’s decision to fund abstinence-only education programs.

Gerard Nadal

posted September 30, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Cathy Grossman states in the article you link:
“Should Congress stand between a woman and her doctor on whether she has a baby?”
Good question. The answer is unequivocally NO! But, when a new human comes into existence, neither Congress, the mother, nor her doctor should come between the new human and its continued development. Many birth control pills are claimed to prevent implantation of fertilized eggs. As such, they are considered abortafacients.
Of course what Grossman meant by “whether she has a baby” means “bringing the baby that exists to term.” But make no mistake, the new life exists at fertilization, and that is the focus of the Republicans and Democrats alike.

Julie

posted October 1, 2009 at 9:28 am

Baucus is correct – it is a health care bill – not an abortion bill. Having funding for abortion in a separate bill that is applicable to every federal program is the better way rather to handle the issue.
It does not matter what is in the bill, the Republicans are not going to vote for it.

Ockraz

posted October 5, 2009 at 2:10 am

Baucus is tipping his hand: he wants a version of the ‘status quo’ that can be used to smuggle tax funding of abortion into future federal budgets. Gee, I wonder why pro-lifers are distrustful of the Dems?

iPod Accessories

posted October 7, 2009 at 2:43 am

I am completely agree with Baucus and he is right with his thoughts. I think that it is a healthcare bill and trying to show as a abortion bill and this is a good way to handle this type of program.

ugg shoes on sales .

posted October 19, 2009 at 8:44 am

this is a good website.

nnmns

posted November 13, 2009 at 12:42 am

Just checking whether I’m allowed to post here tonight.

Charlotte POWELL

posted April 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Truly nice article you have here. It’d be really cool to read a bit more concerning such theme. Thanx for sharing that information.
Charlotte POWELL
<a href=" rent”>http://www.renttobuyguide.co.uk/“>rent to buy

brunette lady

posted August 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Rather cool place you’ve got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.
Hilary Hakkinen

Kate Smith

posted January 24, 2011 at 12:26 am

Pretty nice place you’ve got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.
Kate Smith