Pro-life activists have opposed the current heatlh care bills in part because they would seem to leave the determination of what might be in a basic benefits package, for a public plan, up to the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
To pro-lifers, this is proof that these bills all-but guarantee that abortion is covered. After all, the President and the current HHS Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius, are both pro-choice. Maybe there are even some pro-choicers who privately believe the same thing.
I just want to point out, to both sides, that this cuts both ways.
A warning to prochoicers: If you write a bill that basically leaves it up to the Secretary of HHS to determine whether abortion is a basic benefit, then it’s likely that the President Palin could — through executive order, not legislation — reverse the decision.
A warning to prolifers: if you insist that the power be taken out of the Secretary’s hand, and codified in law, the decision will be made by Congress. That might seem like a good idea now that you have a pro-choice president but may not seem like such a good idea when a pro-life President finds himself or herself unable to influence the benefits package.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Steve Waldman
- Safe, Legal & Early: A New Way of Thinking About abortion
- A Modest Proposal: Conservatives Back Gay Marriage; Gays Back Covenant Marriage
- The Rick Warren Interview
- Inaugural Prayer Archive
- 2008 v. 2004 Results by Faith
- The Obama-Falsani Interview
- The Gene Robinson Interview
Best Posts That No One Read:
- Our Patriotic Holy War
- Obama's White Family and Black Church
- Science & Religion Dispatched from Cambridge
Little Known Facts:
- The Rise of Prayerism
- Deism--It's Back!
- Abortion vs. Gays: The Evangelical Age Gap
- The Spiritual Atheists
Still Cracks Me Up:
Posts That Annoy Conservatives:
Posts That Annoy Liberals:
- Thomas Jefferson: Believer in Intelligent Design?
- Obama's White House Shouldn't Vet Prayers
- Agreeing with Values Voters
- Why the Catholic Bishops Matter on Health Care
- How to Defuse the Health Care Abortion Issue
- In Defense of Bloody Aborted Fetus Photos
Posts That Annoy Everyone: