Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

Obama’s National Day of Prayer Proclamation

posted by swaldman
NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER, 2009
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION

Throughout our Nation’s history, Americans have come together in moments of great challenge and uncertainty to humble themselves in prayer. In 1775, as the Continental Congress began the task of forging a new Nation, colonists were asked to observe a day of quiet humiliation and prayer. Almost a century later, as the flames of the Civil War burned from north to south, President Lincoln and the Congress once again asked the American people to pray as the fate of their Nation hung in the balance.

It is in that spirit of unity and reflection that we once again designate the first Thursday in May as the National Day of Prayer. Let us remember those who came before us, and let us each give thanks for the courage and compassion shown by so many in this country and around the world.
On this day of unity and prayer, let us also honor the service and sacrifice of the men and women of the United States Armed Forces. We celebrate their commitment to uphold our highest ideals, and we recognize that it is because of them that we continue to live in a Nation where people of all faiths can worship or not worship according to the dictates of their conscience.
Let us also use this day to come together in a moment of peace and goodwill. Our world grows smaller by the day, and our varied beliefs can bring us together to feed the hungry and comfort the afflicted; to make peace where there is strife; and to lift up those who have fallen on hard times. As we observe this day of prayer, we remember the one law that binds all great religions together: the Golden Rule, and its call to love one another; to understand one another; and to treat with dignity and respect those with whom we share a brief moment on this Earth.
The Congress, by Public Law 100-307, as amended, has called on the President to issue each year a proclamation designating the first Thursday in May as a “National Day of Prayer.”
NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 7, 2009, as a National Day of Prayer. I call upon Americans to pray in thanksgiving for our freedoms and blessings and to ask for God’s continued guidance, grace, and protection for this land that we love.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this seventh day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.
BARACK OBAMA

meko

posted May 7, 2009 at 3:22 pm

My quote for the day for National Prayer Day
Matthew 6:5-6 (New International Version)
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”
I’m tired of hypocritical politicians using public prayer to claim that they have Jesus’s endorsement. You’d never get away with running around using Oprah’s name like that without her permission.

hootie1fan

posted May 7, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Amen meko! Amen! Especially in the Southeast where all politicians wear their conservative Christian “values” for the cameras to see even if they aren’t in reality even moderately decent people.

Brian

posted May 7, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I don’t understand… I thought separation of Church and state was the way to go for these politicians.

Cathryn

posted May 7, 2009 at 6:11 pm

After reading some of the inspiring words sanctioned by our past Presidents and undoubtedly written by some (Reagan, for sure), and then realizing that our current president does not offer that faith on behalf of the nation, ( also acknowledged by his recent declaration while visiting in Turkey, that “we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation”) it is clear to me that the sincere prayers of our citizens are the only connection that will hold the blessings of Heaven for us.
The United States has undeniably, always been a Christian nation, as evidenced by every President, until now, in the NDP proclamations. Our Founding Fathers set this nation upon Christian principals which IS THE REASON OTHER RELIGIONS CAN THRIVE IN THIS NATION. There is no other nation on earth which promotes such freedom of religion, and it is because real tenants of Christianity are based on choice not compulsion.
My concern is piqued by the” watering down” of religious conviction which seems an apology for religious conviction. The comments the President made in Turkey recently add to the concern: “we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation.” He does not speak for me.
Please watch the NDP proclamations for the next 3 years and observe with me if this is not just the beginning of phasing prayer out completely.

Mike (FVThinker) Burns

posted May 7, 2009 at 7:52 pm

No, Cathryn.
It is quite deniable that we are a Christian Nation. You should read Mr. Waldman’s excellent book.

GCL

posted May 7, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Obama sometimes seems too sincere, tolerant, understanding, smart, humble, intelligent, poised, and mature for an American!
He consistently raises the level of discourse on most any issue.
I doubt any politician correctly understands or interprets the Constitution the way he does.

Nick Laushkin

posted May 7, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Coming together for a National Day of Prayer is in keeping with our Founders and subsequent generations. Those that do not pray or do not want to can follow that inclination. Religiouss Freedom was the major cornerstone of our Founders belief, but that does not mean no Religion.

Bob

posted May 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Wow – I’m surprised Obama didn’ direct the prayer specifically to Allah. Also surprised he issued it at all, being the titular head of the secular progressive/social marxist Democrat Party.

Tony B.

posted May 7, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Of course we are not a Christian nation. If we were a Christian nation the word “Christian” would appear numerous times in both our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution. It appears in neither.

ToBob

posted May 7, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Wow Bob,
What do you think the Arabic word “Allah” means in English?
Or perhaps you would have preferred that BO direct prayer to the God of the King James Bible? Silly me, I mean the NIV. What, you say, the God of both are the same? Hm.

Al Cibiades

posted May 7, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Obama is certainly a pragmatic and tolerant guy, and I usually go along with his “let’s not sweat the small stuff approach”. I think the law requiring the president to make this proclamation is unconstitutional. The fact that he did it as a private exercise is better than a public ceremony but its still wrong.
The fact that there may be other instances where presidents have made such proclamations doesn’t make the law passed by congress. It is a law “respecting an establishment (making official) of religion (not a particular religion. a religion). It serves no useful purpose and merely gives encouragement to those who know no bounds.

dylbud

posted May 7, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I had never even heard of National Prayer Day until all of this hooplah. I take that as evidence of people giving far too much attention to it than it deserves.

Gonzo

posted May 7, 2009 at 10:56 pm

This the best the hordes of right-wing bloggers can do? He didn’t have a big Jesus party? Oh, man, what a horrible president. Yeah, if Jesus was alive today, he’d be all over that. Healing the less fortunate, counseling those in need, and oh yeah blogging about how unpious Obama is for not publicly declaring this Jesus day.

Rev. Michael Church of the Rude Awakening

posted May 7, 2009 at 11:32 pm

There is because there can only be, One God. It is the multitude of religions that are the problem. Every President has acknowledged the existence of God. Do follow the admonition of the Christ Himself (thank you, Meko) and pray as much as you can. But do learn to listen (Psalms 46:10) as well, and give up your silly “religious” beliefs for truly knowing Him.
Every day is national prayer day, if your an American.

rb

posted May 7, 2009 at 11:35 pm

I don’t get the animosity. It seems all you have is hate.

Thinker...

posted May 7, 2009 at 11:53 pm

In 120 years from now, we will all be dead under ground. That is the truth at least for those of you who are able to read this now. Did you know that Stalin with all the power and prestige he had, was looking to escape death at the end b/c of the fear of death?
Where will you be in 120 years… Bible says it very clear that there will be two groups: ones who believe and are in heavin, and ones who is wise in their own eyes and chose not to believe and are forever condemned. Bible is also clear that God is not only God of love, but God of wrath to those who are sinful and ones who turned away even though He himself came to earth to die on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin!
Keep thinking that not believing anything is the way, or rely on big bang theory which cannot be proven, or evolution theory which keeps on changing without a solid ground, do whatever you wish, but be mindful of where you will end up -

Your Name

posted May 8, 2009 at 10:02 am

To Rev. Michael Church: The Islamo Fascists completely agree with you! They also say the multitude of religions is the problem. Don’t you all learn anything after a couple thousand years? If we were a Christian country it would have been mentioned in the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence. I guess I’m not part of the problem because I don’t believe in any religious nonsense.

gabbygrl58

posted May 8, 2009 at 11:19 am

I think arguing over all this hooplah is ridiculous…but i guess thats what blogging is…posting your opinion. Perhaps i’m “out of my league” here..(i sure hope so). But i have several friends in the workplace from different ethnic & religious backgrounds, one in peticular from Tibet whom is a Buhdist

gabbygrl58

posted May 8, 2009 at 11:25 am

Well, i somehow didn’t get the most important part of my blog up there, perhaps there is a limit on the number of words, or they edited it, my poing was not that my friend is a Bhuddist, but that i share Jesus & the Bible with her, and she tells me about her beliefs, and we’ve concluded that there is only ONE God, and i think that is a step in the direction of World Peace. Most Americans do not know the oppression that some (say Tibetans) have experienced. …a small step in the direction of World Peace? yes. a little silly of me? Perhaps. But i had to share.

rm6bob

posted May 10, 2009 at 4:43 am

Good job Obama.

ttbass

posted July 22, 2010 at 5:09 am

man… semantics. We are a Christian country (a majority of the people. And far right-wing Christians only use the rest of the Christian world to beef up statistics; otherwise condemning them to hell fire), but not a Christian Government. They shouldn’t meet.
We are mindful of where we end up, but I don’t believe in a wrathful God, just a loving one. I do believe in the Big Bang Theory, proven or not, because believing that the universe is only 5000+ years old is just dumb.
Obama has never said he is Muslim, and has been a practicing Christian his whole life. He didn’t cancel Christian Prayer Day, have a Radical Muslim Stepfather, or sink the Titanic. It is amazing to me that people can make stuff up to further their own beliefs like that. I live outside of the USA for the moment and can say that the level of hate for Americans, since Bush is gone, has reversed itself. Our arrogance created that feeling, and one man and his plan has demolished it. Nobody could have saved the financial market in 1 1/2 years. Nobody could have done the job of President perfectly, but someone is finally trying to clean up the mess. Mistakes and all… God Bless him.

Holly

posted November 4, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I really hope Obama is true to what he says and if he’s not so what?..lets just hope he’s not that kind of Musilm because i have muslim friends who would never want America to be toworn apart

R. T. Tidwell

posted July 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

There is a hard line law among Muslims about who enters a mosque: No person who is not a Muslim is allowed to enter a mosque anywhere, regardless of the “color” or who set it up for whatever reason or occasion!! This is an inviolablwe law as given in the Koran.IF!!! Obama were a true Christian he would never be allowed to enter a mosque! So. either bama is making a mere pretense of being a Christian, which is a faulty pretense, or the Muslims are doing something that is in complete violation of the laws they hold to unto the death!! I don’t buy that Obama is a Christian, or by any explanation that he is NOT a Muslim!!

A Great ruse has been pulled on America and liberals have fallen for it like children for candy!! There still has been no definitive proof of Obama’s actual birth place, records from his professed college degrees! He came out of thin air and ran for office and today he is the hope of all liberals, nonAmericans and those who are trying to bring America to her knees to the level of a third world nation, or lower!!

I really believe that only God can deliver us and He can dothat when enough citizens of America arise and take the U.S. Government over and stabilize us from the horrendous pit that we are headede toward.

Mary Christine

posted December 19, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Aloha R.T. Tidwell
I humbly must correct you. I am not a Muslim, but I indeed entered the Blue Mosque in Turkey. I wonder where you received that incorrect notion. I am Catholic (not the kind that believes we are the only ones that will enter heaven as I was once taught)but believe all faiths are of value. My heart & head have been opened by studying other faiths. You may want to try it, you will be more Christ-like if you do. When I read these blogs I think, my God would not be part of this hate. As the Dalai Lama said, “My religion is KINDNESS.” Not a bad idea.