Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

Write Your Own Pro-God Bus Ad

posted by swaldman

Atheist_Bus.jpg
Atheists recently drew attention by putting ads on British buses declaring, “There is probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.”
Christian groups are responding with their own ads, which seem a bit lackluster to me:

“There definitely is a God.”
“There is a God. BELIEVE. Don’t worry and enjoy your life.”
“The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.”

That’s it? That’s the best they could do? That may rally some passionate believers but I think the goal of the campaign is persuasion.
Come on, gang, let’s help them out. What would be our simple pro-God slogan for a bus campaign.
I’ll start the ball rolling…

“Design, consummate skill, and indefinite power in every atom.”
–Thomas Jefferson
Big bang. Big God.

Ok, I’m sure you can do better than me. Remember, these have to be short enough to fit on the side of a bus.

Eick

posted February 9, 2009 at 11:17 am

How about:
“It’s too depressing not to believe in God”
That’s the pith of most arguments from Christians who gave up a long time ago pathetic efforts to demonstrate God’s existence. Pretty much sums up the sad state Christianity is in, when emotional well-being is seen as the only selling point, trumping unresolvable epistemological problems.

bob d

posted February 9, 2009 at 1:46 pm

OMG!
(yes, he is your God, and mine)

nieciedo

posted February 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I can’t argue with the atheist (or, rather, agnostic or humanistic) bus ads.
There probably isn’t a god, and if there is we can’t prove it. Therefore, what’s the point of getting all bent out of shape?

Tim

posted February 9, 2009 at 2:38 pm

“Big Bang, Big God” is great, if only for taking a shot at creationism. A friend suggests “I think, therefore I Am.” But is that too subtle?

jestrfyl

posted February 9, 2009 at 2:43 pm

It makes no difference if I believe in God. But does God believe in me?

StevenWaldman

posted February 9, 2009 at 3:25 pm

i see that a Catholic group in Maryland tried to post ads around Christmas: “Why Believe? Because I created you and I love you, for goodness’ sake – GOD.”

Fodder John

posted February 9, 2009 at 4:22 pm

“My last name isn’t “dammit” – God”

Fred of Paris

posted February 9, 2009 at 5:16 pm

For a bus ad –
Visual: a coffin
Text: “do you really want this to be your last stop?”

StevenWaldman

posted February 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm

over at JesusCreed, member Travis Green suggests:
“There is a God, and he’s saving the world. Come join him.”

J

posted February 9, 2009 at 6:06 pm

“Why work hard to be loved by fools? Why trouble yourself with hard questions? God: the great shortcut to Everything You Ever Wanted.”

kissiray

posted February 9, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I believe there is air and sound waves. I believe in the speed of light. Why are you so worried if I believe in a God that you can’t see or hear or touch.

Annapurna Moffatt

posted February 9, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I know this isn’t very catchy, but how about something along the lines of: “Let’s ditch the arguments about whether or not God exists and get on with our lives.”
When people who believe one way try to force their beliefs down the throats of people who believe differently it makes me cringe. One of the things the world needs desperately is religious/spiritual tolerance, which is one of the few things I would evangelize–it makes life a lot more pleasant.

Gerard Nadal

posted February 9, 2009 at 7:30 pm

What if I decide YOU don’t exist? -God

Elizabeth Anne

posted February 9, 2009 at 7:55 pm

“I bet some of YOUR friends are jerks, too. ~God”

Bobby Socks

posted February 9, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Psalms 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.”

Curmudgeon

posted February 10, 2009 at 1:42 am

There are 60,000 religions. They can’t all be wrong.

LutheranChik

posted February 10, 2009 at 6:58 am

I can’t help but notice at the at least veiled threats contained in some of the suggested “pro-God” slogans above. My pastor calls this approach to evangelism “God Hates You and Has a Wonderful Plan For Your Life.” It’s no wonder that aggressive atheism is in ascendancy — the new generation of atheists has been nicely trained in bluster and blowhardery by obnoxious Christians.

lea

posted February 10, 2009 at 7:10 am

when I said “I AM” I meant it …

nieciedo

posted February 10, 2009 at 9:53 am

If one researches this story, one would learn that these ads were placed IN RESPONSE to Christian ads that essentially said “Give your life to Jesus now or burn in hell forever.”
So, the “pro-God” side already had its say. Morevoer, the “pro-God” side is the culturally dominant and privileged position and so doesn’t really need any addition support or promotion.

Your Name

posted February 10, 2009 at 10:56 am

“There is a God, and he’s saving the world. Come join him.”
Why would we join “him” when “he” is doing such a piss poor job? Darfur anyone?

Tim

posted February 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

All I see here is a bunch of quotes stolen from Atheists and re-worded.I especially like the one that Waldman himself quotes from Jefferson. ( An addmitted Deist.) It’s no wonder your religion is dying. Good riddance I say. By the way Curmudgeon, the correct saying before you stole it, ( a typical thing christians do by the way), is ” There are 6000 religions in the world, they can’t all be right but they can all be wrong”. At least do some reaserch before you steal someone else’s work.

jestrfyl

posted February 11, 2009 at 10:52 am

Your name, Feb 10, 10:56
Don’t lay Darfur at God’s door. This is a human created crime against other humans. If some people’s religion was at the chore of some of the choces, the fault is with the corruption of the religion or of the people. God is also not in tornadoes, cancer, tsunamis, street crime, huricanes, stupidity, or a host of othr things that have been elevated to “Acts of God”. We need to accept a fair amount of responsibility for our own actions.
This is NOT to say I don’t find this new bus campaign to be ingenious and interesting. However, I hope they don;t get all pedantic and wordy like religious people do. Humor and brevity will carry more weight that throughly argued, cogently written, and grammatically correct treatises or pamphlets. I think Elizabeth Anne’s (Feb 9, 7:55)suggestion is the best of all.

James Yamakawa

posted February 11, 2009 at 12:19 pm

1)Science without Religion is lame.
Religion without Science is blind.
-Albert Einstein
2) God believes in everyone.
3) God = Why?

Kevin D.

posted February 11, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Jestrfyl is right. People want to blame God for the evil in the world, and demand, if He’s a loving God, to do something about it but those very same people refuse to let God have a say in their lives.
You can’t have it both ways you hypocrites. God isn’t some tool to apply to the problems you want Him to fix and then to put away in a drawer until you need Him again. If you want God to change the world, then it begin with YOU doing things His way. Not the other way around.
I can’t help but snicker whenever some atheist thinks he has me in a bind when he brings up “the problem of evil.” Yes, there’s a “problem of evil” but it’s not God’s doing. Man kills, man steals, man destroys. If an atheist wants God to rid the world of evil there’s only two things that can be done:
1. Man lives according to God’s Will.
2. God removes freewill from man.
Your choice.

Dan S.

posted February 11, 2009 at 3:05 pm

There is no God? Let’s hope you’re right.

Dan S.

posted February 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm

There is ‘probably’ no God? It sounds like you’re not totally sure.

Dan S.

posted February 11, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Want to really enjoy your life? Don’t let God stop you.

Dan S.

posted February 11, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Atheism. It feels good.

Dan S.

posted February 11, 2009 at 3:33 pm

God loves athiests too.

Gavin

posted February 12, 2009 at 8:10 pm

A possible ad that fits the times:
“There’s probably no economy. Now there’s a reason to worry”.

Ginny R

posted February 13, 2009 at 6:46 am

Live. Laugh. Believe in God.
God is real, God is love, God is hope.
Walk with me. Walk with God.
God is life.

Joe R

posted February 15, 2009 at 12:39 am

GOD RULES

Kathleen N.

posted February 16, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I know that my Redeemer Lives!

Janet

posted February 17, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I think the ad — “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God” — is an excellent one. I’m sure you realize this is directly from Scripture — Psalm 53:1. Trinitarian Bible Society is the organization which has posted this ad. They do a terrific job defending the Word of God, and I would commend their work to anyone — http://www.trinitarianbiblesociety.org. Their sign also offers free Bibles.

Anonymous

posted February 19, 2009 at 3:34 pm

There is a God. So, repent and seek Him.
For God so loved the world…John 3:16
Hate what is evil; cling to what is good; God is good.

non-metaphysical stephen

posted February 28, 2009 at 12:03 pm

God created you in God’s image and called it Good.

Harriet

posted March 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm

God- He watches reality tv.

Dana Sullivan

posted March 10, 2009 at 1:10 pm

“God- He watches reality tv.”
Haha, I’d love to see that on a bus, and I’m an atheist.

ñåêñ çíàêîìñòâà

posted June 13, 2010 at 6:36 am

Hi there! http://www.istu.edu/jforum/user/profile/704.page ñåêñ çíàêîìñòâà

Boliqua Bolana

posted June 29, 2010 at 3:35 am

Illuminatti & the end of the World!
Is the Illuminatti symbol sypher the Year 2012 in Roman Numerals! Well do the psypher yourself! As the font appears unreadable! The letter begin to fade! I and L appear to be M or V! Is this a common sypher yes! If you look closer at the symbol l looks as a {. A question you should should be asking yourself is the Illuminati capable of ending the world, yes. Also who are they! I know for a fact the hexagram lies an enbeded code a genetic code! One That can’t be changed but only added too! LET ME TELL YOU THIS! THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN AN ATTACK ON OUR PLANET EARTH! THE COLLAPSE IN OUR OCEAN IS THE PROOF! OIL RIGS CONSTATLY ARE TAMPERED WITH! If Mother Earth dies it will not be her suicide, but the misrable and corrupted Life form that she gave life! Will we stop these individuals? Or will the psypher encode two years from now, 2102! And how do we stop that? The answer is up to us! As a race we must make sure these disrupted indivuduals don’t exist by living a life or peace and generosity! Only then will you overcome it! I young writer recently make a horrible mistake in my eyes! a General who found a solution and everything was taken from him! Why kill these lost individuals when you can try to help them first! Putting your life in front of a another! Giving hope to a race who’s same regret and vengefulness that you would also posses if you were in their shoes! Yet some believe we must do whatever it take to save our precious Earth! As I do by writing this and letting everyone seem aware! Don’t sit back and watch her be destroyed! Help US! Our lives our reborn today! Take a stand! BE ALL YOU BE! DESPITE THE LIVES WE’VE LOST! Scientist lower your heads, then hold them high! Pray for a life lost and help someone who has lost their way! Not with Vengence, but with an act of kindness! Believe in your God as he believes in You! Don’t listen to the Arrow! Find where it points! In memory of our god Lord Jeses CHrist Point to the arrow and we will find our own way! An artifact is the answer, stop lying and take a stand! Guarded by men who will put their lives before it! As you should put your lives before the ones beside you, event against you! I’ve dreamn’t of a savior, but in the morning i entered a city with no life! I was lost and no one was around to here me scream! Not a single soul! And I layed myself asleep alone! And prayed for the ones i loved! And there they were the next waking day!

Pingback: The God Bus - City of Brass