Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

Banning the Term “Religious Right”

posted by swaldman

Apparently some religious conservatives don’t want to be referred to as “religious right” because it has negative connotations. Some on the left have said, in effect: tough noogies. If you don’t want it to have negative connotations, then stop having a “dangerous and divisive” agenda.
But then again almost no one seems to agree with my policy of using the terms “pro-life” and “pro-choice” as the proper monickers for the sides in that debate.

m.e.graves

posted February 17, 2009 at 11:14 am

This is coming from the group that blamed gays for 9/11, compares the GLBT community to pedophilia, bestiality, rape, and incest, and calls those who support a woman’s right to control her own body “pro-death”?
You’re absolutely right, Mr. Waldman, let’s stop using the term “religious right”. In fact, I have quite a long list of words I want to use to describe them, but they cannot be printed on this site.

NightLad

posted February 17, 2009 at 11:42 am

I think everything that needs to be said in response to this was said in the article you linked to. Thanks.
Although it is ironic that these people, who refuse to use the word “gay” because [they claim among other things] it denotes a socially-acceptable tone (such as the AFA), now seek to redefined their own socially accepted label.
Ah well, can’t say I’m surprised.

hootie1fan

posted February 17, 2009 at 12:11 pm

How about the religiously self-righteous?!?!?

our founding truth

posted February 17, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Yeah, stop using the term “religious right” they aren’t Christians, so don’t use it. If you want to attack Christianity, attack its founder Jesus Christ; if you have the nerve.

LutheranChik

posted February 17, 2009 at 4:16 pm

How about “Religious Wrong”?

Your Name

posted February 17, 2009 at 4:35 pm

“I pretty much stopped using the term “religious right” some time ago, at the request of religious conservatives. It was a term rarely used by religious conservatives themselves and often used by their critics. To me, that made it unfair to use as if it’s a neutral term.”
Sorta like, um, “the gay agenda” and “the gay lifestyle”. Rarely – as in never – used by gay people because they’re false or non-existent), and in no way neutral. But will the religius right stop using them? No. Seems the tough noogie response they got was the fruits of doing to others whata you would have done unto you.
Me, I call them the radical ‘religious’ ‘right’ – quotes because they are radical, hardly ‘religious’ (in the sense of Christ-like) and absolutely wrong on this particular social issue.

Dreamscape

posted February 17, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I think religious reich would be the appropriate term.

the artist formerly known as emily

posted February 17, 2009 at 6:52 pm

if they change their agenda and/or their tactics, i might consider changing what i call them. meanwhile, “religious right” is the most generous term i know that still maintains accuracy.

springwillow

posted February 17, 2009 at 11:04 pm

The term “religious right” refers to the politics of the group it covers, not their religious affiliation. Most of the liberals I know who are religious believe the term is accurate–it’s a section of the right wing, not the entire lot of all religious people who are conservatives. If those who are part of such a group, by their beliefs and politics, consider the term pejorative, then it’s their own viewpoint that makes them look at it as a negative term.
Those people who truly believe in the work of Jesus Christ are not socially conservative–the philosophy of Christ makes him quite liberal and progressive, and those who are part of the religious right must adjust their own beliefs if they want to be in line with the teachings of their saviour. Those who are already Christian progressives are more in touch with the teachings of Christ, and can’t and don’t feel obligated to following a book with more contradictions across the board than OJ Simpson at his murder trial.

You can VOTE on a new name

posted February 17, 2009 at 11:28 pm

The folks at Wonkette have set up a web poll to help the Religious Right re-brand themselves. Now, you can have a say in what our friends from the South (and Colorado Springs) want to be called.
The early favorite is “Jesus Goblins” followed by “Christ Potatoes”, with “potatoes” being spelled correctly. But don’t let that stop you from voting! There are several more appropriate options available with many more wonderful ideas in the Comments section.
VOTE HERE:

Rick

posted February 18, 2009 at 12:03 am

I always liked Zizek’s term “fundamentalist freaks”.

ohyeah

posted February 20, 2009 at 11:11 am

I vote for American Taliban !