Tony Jones of New Christians ponders why the selection of Gene Robinson has gotten so much less press coverage than the pick of Rick Warren. He speculates that it’s because gay groups put pressure on the media. http://blog.beliefnet.com/tonyjones/2009/01/rick-warren-vs-gene-robinson.html
That’s probably partly true. The press reacts to ruckus. Gay groups made one. Strangely, conservative groups have not made nearly as much noise about Robinson. I don’t think it’s that they’re any more peaceful or tolerant. I suspect it’s just because Robinson came second in the cycle. After mocking liberals for their reaction to Warren, how could conservatives then attack Obama for inviting Robinson?
I bet the same thing would have happened in reverse: if Robinson had been appointed to give the invocation, there would have been howls of protest from the right and liberals would have defended the decision. When, a few days later, he picked Warren, liberals would likely have been much more quiet about Rick Warren than they have been.
If it’s true that Obama’s folks planned this sequencing all along, that’s pretty shrewd, eh?
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Steve Waldman
- Safe, Legal & Early: A New Way of Thinking About abortion
- A Modest Proposal: Conservatives Back Gay Marriage; Gays Back Covenant Marriage
- The Rick Warren Interview
- Inaugural Prayer Archive
- 2008 v. 2004 Results by Faith
- The Obama-Falsani Interview
- The Gene Robinson Interview
Best Posts That No One Read:
- Our Patriotic Holy War
- Obama's White Family and Black Church
- Science & Religion Dispatched from Cambridge
Little Known Facts:
- The Rise of Prayerism
- Deism--It's Back!
- Abortion vs. Gays: The Evangelical Age Gap
- The Spiritual Atheists
Still Cracks Me Up:
Posts That Annoy Conservatives:
Posts That Annoy Liberals:
- Thomas Jefferson: Believer in Intelligent Design?
- Obama's White House Shouldn't Vet Prayers
- Agreeing with Values Voters
- Why the Catholic Bishops Matter on Health Care
- How to Defuse the Health Care Abortion Issue
- In Defense of Bloody Aborted Fetus Photos
Posts That Annoy Everyone: