As a leading Latino evangelical, Sam Rodriguez occupies a fascinating spot on the political landscape. Latinos went decisively for Obama but also supported Proposition 8 in California banning gay marraige. Rodriquez is President of National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference and as such understands the oft-misunderstood religious contours of the Latino vote better than anyone.
In an interview I conducted over Trinity Wall Street, Rodriguez said that John McCain could have won the Latino vote had he stuck with his original position on immigration.
And Rodriguez also had a stark warning for Obama: Latinos voted for Obama largely because of anger over Republican approach immigration and the economy but will quickly defect if he moves “hard left” on abortion and gay marraige. “I can guarantee that,” he said.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Steve Waldman
- Safe, Legal & Early: A New Way of Thinking About abortion
- A Modest Proposal: Conservatives Back Gay Marriage; Gays Back Covenant Marriage
- The Rick Warren Interview
- Inaugural Prayer Archive
- 2008 v. 2004 Results by Faith
- The Obama-Falsani Interview
- The Gene Robinson Interview
Best Posts That No One Read:
- Our Patriotic Holy War
- Obama's White Family and Black Church
- Science & Religion Dispatched from Cambridge
Little Known Facts:
- The Rise of Prayerism
- Deism--It's Back!
- Abortion vs. Gays: The Evangelical Age Gap
- The Spiritual Atheists
Still Cracks Me Up:
Posts That Annoy Conservatives:
Posts That Annoy Liberals:
- Thomas Jefferson: Believer in Intelligent Design?
- Obama's White House Shouldn't Vet Prayers
- Agreeing with Values Voters
- Why the Catholic Bishops Matter on Health Care
- How to Defuse the Health Care Abortion Issue
- In Defense of Bloody Aborted Fetus Photos
Posts That Annoy Everyone: