Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

A Latino Warning to Barack Obama: Move Hard Left on Abortion and You’ll Lose Us

posted by swaldman

As a leading Latino evangelical, Sam Rodriguez occupies a fascinating spot on the political landscape. Latinos went decisively for Obama but also supported Proposition 8 in California banning gay marraige. Rodriquez is President of National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference and as such understands the oft-misunderstood religious contours of the Latino vote better than anyone.
In an interview I conducted over Trinity Wall Street, Rodriguez said that John McCain could have won the Latino vote had he stuck with his original position on immigration.
And Rodriguez also had a stark warning for Obama: Latinos voted for Obama largely because of anger over Republican approach immigration and the economy but will quickly defect if he moves “hard left” on abortion and gay marraige. “I can guarantee that,” he said.

That's Funny

posted December 1, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Wow. Good to know he speaks with such authority for Latino voters!
Since Obama is already “hard left” on abortion but does not support gay marriage, it’s difficult to understand what Rev. Rodriguez is talking about. Latino voters knew exactly where Obama stood on those issues. There is no movement to be made.
Since FOCA is very uncertain, it’s very unlikely Obama will be in a position to make good on his campaign promise to sign FOCA.
This sounds like little more than Christian right demagoguery.

Michael

posted December 1, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Rodriguez has allowed himself to become a puppet for the larger religious conservative establishment. He sounds like he’s sounding James Dobson’s alarm, not the alarm of Latino voters.

Charles Cosimano

posted December 1, 2008 at 2:58 pm

I’m sure Obama is just shaking in his shoes.

Richard Clark

posted December 1, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Rodriguez is not speaking for the majority of Latino voters in this country, but it sure sounds like he’s speaking for the majority of White Religious Right fascists. He really sounds extremely naive to think that McCain could’ve won the Latino vote, had McCain not changed his position on immigration. Why does Steven Waldman publish this bogus crap? Americans have moved beyond the abortion issue. Roe v. Wade is here to stay, deal with it.

Alicia

posted December 1, 2008 at 5:49 pm

How true. I really don’t know where Beliefnet comes up with this stuff. We as Latino voters put Obama in office. He is a moderate Democrat as we seem to be well aware of that fact. We know what the right have planned for us: use us to cut your lawns, scrub your toilets then deport us when we can’t accept your “salary cuts” from $10 an hour to $5. Yes, you are the ones that drive that BMW, yet can’t pay us $10 an hour to watch your spoiled children. WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE. The election is over, and we look forward to Obama in office, when he gets there. Your rules say Jan 21st, right? Let the man do his job. This kind of posting is what have driven people away from this “spiritual site”.

Tom

posted December 1, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Alicia, I’m a social conservative (partially Hispanic) and know of many others who don’t drive BMW’s, mow our own lawns, scrub our own toilets, don’t deport anyone, and watch over our own spoiled children (to the best of our ability.) Seeing as how Latinos have been the victims of several stereotypes, one would think that they’d have the mental fortitude not to perpetuate this kind of foolishness. Do us all a favor and don’t post these mindless absurdities again. Quit giving the Hispanic community a bad rap!!

Yolie

posted December 2, 2008 at 12:47 am

I don’t know what planet you live on Tom, but all of our men are hanging on the corners even more now looking for work. They are never hired by anyone but whites that have alot of money. Whites love to pay people under the table, no taxes, no worker’s comp. That’;s how it is, but hey it’s probably not that way in Minnesota. I live in Arizona. The same is true in California and anywhere else there’s no snow on the ground. We may be hungry, but we’re not stupid enopugh to freeze to death. Most of my family works under the table, and we’re legal by 3 generations. Lucky for me I am a hospital administrator. I used to scrub toilets for the “guerros” like Alicia. It took me 12 years to work my way up and I have college degree and was born here. I’m afraid it is you that is out of touch. If you think there are no Spanish speaking abortion clinics, look in your phone book. You might be surprised by what you see.

Yolie

posted December 2, 2008 at 12:50 am

Tom, How do you think we get by without a green card? I am legal is and is most of my family but you are a guerro, man. You cannot be Hispanic and make this kind of comment.

Tom

posted December 2, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Yolie, I am mostly white; however the vast majority of family on my mother’s side lives in West Texas. I don’t doubt that many Hispanics do menial work to get by and there’s no shame in it. I also know a few who are ITs. To characterize Conservatives as those who hire Latinos to do all of our dirty work for us is a groce mischaracterization. Some do exist and their the ones who typically drive their daughters to the abortion clinics so they don’t get embarrassed at their local bridge clubs.
If you were born here (in a Hospital and not a bathtub) you would be a US citizen and have no need for a green card, so who’s out of touch?!?
‘If you think there are no Spanish speaking abortion clinics, look in your phone book. You might be surprised by what you see.’
What does this have to do with anything? I’m not suprised in the least, as I work in the pro-life movement and know all too well how abortion providers set up camp in predominately ethnic minority neighborhoods. Planned Parenthood was originally founded by Margaret Sanger, a notorious eugenecist who advocated sterilizing the poor and minorities to weed out the ‘inferiors’ from the gene pool.