As we get close to the election, I’ve met two types of Obama advocates:
1) Those who insist Obama is going to lose, on the theory that saying he’ll win will jinx the outcome
2) Those who insist Obama is going to win because by embracing that happy thought they can, through the power of positive thinking, make it come true.
McCain fans, meanwhile, seem to all think he’s going to lose, which strikes me as odd given that other candidates have made up more ground in the last week. Nationally, at least, there are several polls showing a tightening of the race:
GWU: Obama 3 points up
Gallup: 5 points (likely voters traditional model)
Rasmussen: 5 points
Zogby: 5 points
I know there are other polls showing greater margins but there are enough now showing it tightening that it needs to be taken seriously.
Which camp are you in? The jinx-phobic or a believer that if you visualize victory, it will happen?
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Steve Waldman
- Safe, Legal & Early: A New Way of Thinking About abortion
- A Modest Proposal: Conservatives Back Gay Marriage; Gays Back Covenant Marriage
- The Rick Warren Interview
- Inaugural Prayer Archive
- 2008 v. 2004 Results by Faith
- The Obama-Falsani Interview
- The Gene Robinson Interview
Best Posts That No One Read:
- Our Patriotic Holy War
- Obama's White Family and Black Church
- Science & Religion Dispatched from Cambridge
Little Known Facts:
- The Rise of Prayerism
- Deism--It's Back!
- Abortion vs. Gays: The Evangelical Age Gap
- The Spiritual Atheists
Still Cracks Me Up:
Posts That Annoy Conservatives:
Posts That Annoy Liberals:
- Thomas Jefferson: Believer in Intelligent Design?
- Obama's White House Shouldn't Vet Prayers
- Agreeing with Values Voters
- Why the Catholic Bishops Matter on Health Care
- How to Defuse the Health Care Abortion Issue
- In Defense of Bloody Aborted Fetus Photos
Posts That Annoy Everyone: