Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

Palin Freaks Out the Mainline Protestants

posted by swaldman

Earlier, I theorized that dislike of Sarah Palin was a key part of the significant shift of mainline Protestants to Obama.
I love it when the facts catch up with my theories. Today’s ABC News/Washington Post tracking poll indicates that while 70% mainline Protestants viewed her favorably in early September, now only 46% do.

Paul

posted October 24, 2008 at 8:52 pm

This Alaska Gal is too much!
She’s freakin’ out almost any intelligent American, that someone would pick up to be qualified to be the VP, just a heart beat away from having to take over as the leader of the free world.
She goes around complaining about socialism, while she boasts about her windfall profits taxes on the oil companies, and McCain voted for the bank bailout – the biggest socialist handout in the history of the world – $700 billion dollars.
It’s hard to take Palin seriously, and its even harder to take McCain seriously anymore either.

Jim

posted October 24, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Palin freaks out many people, including conservative Republicans.
As a mainline Christian, I find Palin’s false statements to be very alarming. Even more alarming is her level of knowledge. She has said multiple times that the VP is in charge of the Senate. I cannot believe the McCain campaign did not correct her after the first time.
Palin could not answer basic questions about McCain that I could have answered.
To tell blatant lies that the troopergate investigation found she did not violate any laws is unbelievable.
I doubt many mainline Christians care very much about her religion.
Mainline Christians have been more vocal in their opposition to Iraq and torture. I cannot believe the polls where people think McCain will be better on foreign policy and terrorists. McCain and Palin are even worse warmongers. Palin does not have a clue about the last seven years in Iraq.
General Petraeus recently said we would never be able to call Iraq a win. General Petraeus has contradicted many things McCain has said in the last few weeks. Petraeus has recommended trying negotiations, that McCain blast Obama on all the time.
The Republicans and McCain/Palin have tried to convince people that Palin has more experience than Obama. Why have a several prominent Republicans endorsed Obama? Even Republicans that have not endorsed Obama have said good things about Obama, such as David Brooks, New York Times. He has written several thought provoking articles. He said Palin was a cancer on the party.
Obamacans: Prominent Republicans Line Up Behind Obama – Wall Street Journal 10-24-08
6 individuals – 3 stated Palin as a reason
FRIDAY: Updated Endorsement Tally–Obama Leads 136-52
* Many listed Palin as a reason against McCain
* John Kerry barely edged George W. Bush in endorsements in 2004
* At least 28 papers have now switched to Obama from Bush in 2004, with just four flipping to McCain
* The Arizona Republic in McCain’s home state, a GOP-leaning paper, has not yet endorsed, which might be interesting.
* Several had never endorsed a Democrat or had not endorsed anyone before.
* Most talk about Obama’s temperament, judgment, debate performances, etc

Charles Cosimano

posted October 25, 2008 at 3:06 am

I said that she would alienate the mainline Protestants within an hour of being chosen.

Scruffy

posted October 25, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Ya know, I like Sarah Palin. I think she’s a hoot! But I would sooner vote for Tina Fey than Sarah.
When she stopped being a Christian, by her hate campaign against Obama, and when she did not stop the cat calls of “Kill him!” she lost my respect. Everything I learned in Sunday School tells me that she is not the kind of “Christian” I want in the White House.
And if she studied her bible, she would discover that God promotes Socialism over Capitalism. All of the Levitical Law was based on the collective care of each other. And Jesus told the rich lad to sell everything he had and give it to the poor. Spreading the wealth is godly, hoarding it is of the flesh and not of God.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Just Plain Sarah.

steve

posted October 25, 2008 at 7:36 pm

The only real reason to vote for her was her biography. Once that became clear, it was inevitable she would lose support. Not sure I can really blame McCain for trying. He lives foreign policy. I am sure it was inconceivable to him that she knew so little. If she had read the Wall Street Journal 3 or 4 times a week McCain would be president.
Steve

debbie

posted October 26, 2008 at 1:27 am

I disagree with you about sarah palin. I left the republician party four years ago and voted democrat. Sarah Palin brought me back to the republican party. I love Sarah Palin and I know alot of people that feel the same way. I believe why she has a bad rating is because of the job the media has done on her. I am so afraid of obama as president. Between him and the democratic congress which most likely will have the majority, it is something that has not happened since Jimmy Carter was president. And look how bad those years were. And Jimmy Carter was a moderate. We will have a very liberal president and very liberal congress and it will all be led the the likes of Nancy pelosi and Harry Reid. God help us1

Anon

posted October 27, 2008 at 12:28 am

um debbie…?
the last 8 years have been pretty bad… and we had a republican dominated house, senate, and presidency
not to mention lots of war

Warren Cheswick

posted October 27, 2008 at 11:06 am

I’d like to chime in and say that I think it’s great to see a woman getting involved in politics at the highest levels, and I it’s an embarrassment for our nation how few women are serving in these positions. (Only 16 senators out of 100, 61 congresswomen out of 435)
When we were first introduced to Palin, even though I am not a Republican, I was pleased to see a woman selected, and I was willing to listen to her message and learn about her. It didn’t take long for that to wear off, though. I was shocked to hear how ignorant she was about politics in general, and appalled to hear her mouth platitudes, cliches, and one-line zingers rather than actually address real questions that were posed to her. I was furthermore astounded by her complete lack of respect for others, and her tendency to slander and defame along party lines whenever given a public stage. Then, when all sorts of information came out about her, her dealings in Alaska, and her reputation based on actual policies and actions, I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Fact checking only confirmed it – she is an inveterate liar! Whatever she proclaims herself to be, the fact reveal the opposite. Whatever she accuses her opposition of believing, she actually believes, as evidenced by her actions. She claims to be a maverick, yet cozies up to big business, takes huge earmarks, and abuses her position of power. She claims to be a good Christian who follows the Lord, yet slanders others and twists facts to present her opposition as evil.
I hesitate to say this, but I actually think Palin is the most dangerous political figure to arise in our country in my lifetime. Even if I were Republican, I would vote for Obama just to make sure that she was nowhere near the White House. I think that the more time goes by, the more the nation is going to see her true colors, and I hope that this little love affair will end.