Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

Obama & McCain Tied Among “Born Again” Christians! Says Shocking New Barna Poll

posted by swaldman

Stunning. Shocking. Impossible?
Barna, the premier pollster of the evangelical world, just released a new survey finding it’s a dead heat among “born again” Christians:
McCain 45%
Obama 43%
Undecided 10%
Points of reference: Bush won 62% of Born Agains, according to Barna.
Keep in mind that Barna defines “Born Again” differently than most pollsters. They base it on a series of theological questions, while most pollsters just ask people if they’re “evangelical or born again.” Under their methodology, “born agains” account for 48% of the electorate; most pollsters say evangelicals represent between 25%-40%
Barna also polled “evangelicals,” which they define as a smaller, more religiously orthodox group, representing about 10% of the population. Among evangelicals:
McCain 63%
Obama 23%
Undecided 12%
Bush in 2004: 85%
Support among Barna’s evangeliclas grew from 9% in May to 17% in July to 23% now.
Barna also found a meaningful differences by age:

“Born again Christians in their forties and fifties prefer Sen. McCain by a five-point margin (48% versus 43%), while born again adults in their sixties and older favor the Arizona Republican by ten points (47% versus 37%). On the other hand, among the youngest born again voters – those in their twenties and thirties – Sen. Obama is a 13-point front-runner (51% to 39%).”

Most political polls show McCain retaining a bigger lead among self-identified evangelicals. Pew’s recent poll, for instance, had McCain with 67% and Obama with 24% among “white evangelicals.” Because Barna’s methodology is so different from other pollsters it’s hard to explain why they’re coming up with different numbers. Most polls still show McCain winning handily among evangelicals.
One theory I’ve heard is that the “evangelical brand” has gotten worse so fewer people self-identify that way, and those who do are more conservative. That might explain McCain’s continued strength with that group in traditional polls. The Barna approach, based on theological questions rather than self-identification, might skirt that problem.

Hope Lambert

posted October 24, 2008 at 3:51 am

I don’t understand people that are really “born again” meaning born of the Spirit of God and support everything the Bible is against. How? Jesus died for us to have Life! that also means the unborn in the womb. God said I formed you in the womb, I called you by name and I gave Adam command to multiply, how can two gays marry and multiply. Most of all the Democrats are for death to God’s precious little ones in the womb, gay marriage, direct opposition of Romans 1, and the very sin God destroyed Sodom and 9 other cities in the Old Test. Some that claim a “born again” need to rechech their experience. Remember, no exits in hell and no second chance for eternity.

Blogblog123

posted October 24, 2008 at 4:49 am

Hope said it all. But I would like to add that if people truly respect and love mighty Jehovah God, they will vote accordingly, and will back McCain all the way. God can so easily send judgment to the USA, as we already have so many curses coming against us for our sins. The problem? We don’t repent of our sins and mean it and live it. We allow the world to influence us. “Friendship with the world is enmity with God.” Wake up, America. Our rights are being stripped away because noone is standing up for our beloved free country. We are just taking freedom for granted, but it actually comes with a price to stand up for what is right. We will lose if good people do nothing. We should be calling the White House and writing our representatives with what we should do about our country that is so defiled.

BILL

posted October 24, 2008 at 6:58 am

I’d like to piggy back what Blogblog123 has stated with 1 Bible verse, that verse would be 2 Chronicles, 7:14…read it people

marcus

posted October 24, 2008 at 7:20 am

Hope & Blog you aren’t factoring in that the new Christians, even some who call themselves “born again”, deny much of what Jesus has to say. They deny that He is the only way to God. Even Obama, who calls himself a Christian, has been quoted as saying that there are more ways to God than through Jesus Christ. (I use Obama as an example because he labels himself a Christian) They deny that there is a literal place called Hell. And, this “progressive” way of Christian thinking says that not all the Bible is truth. You need to be able to pull from the Bible what is true and discard the rest.
If these poll numbers are to be believed, then this type thinking is becoming more prevalent with each generation. However, my point is this, not all people who call themselves Christian are one. Christians are followers of Christ. If you believe that some of what Jesus said is untrue, then you are anything but Christian.

Melvin Miles

posted October 24, 2008 at 7:21 am

It is unfortunate that we use these forums to say things that are not in agreement with the true spirit of the Bible. If one wants to support a candidate because that candidate’s platform agrees with one’s desire for this country. It has nothing to do with our rights being stripped away. Mr. Obama shows the true meaning of rights of an American being truly used to enhance what the forefathers of this nation fought for and so proudly stated in thier documents they left us to guide this nation forward. God is and will for ever be The Creator. He created all of us with the choice to decide which religion, which concepts, and which candidates we may want to follow. God knows what you will choose before you know what you will choose. I will choose Mr. Obama, because his platform for this country agrees with my desires for this country. If your ideas for this country goes against knowing that this country needs a change, then you’ll vote for the other candidate over there. “THAT ONE”.

Kenneth Sanchez

posted October 24, 2008 at 9:19 am

Well, It was the Lord that allowed appointed Nebuchadnezzar as ruler for a season and he saw God’s power, He allowed the appointed Ramses during Moses’ time, believe it or not, he also allowed Hitler, Stalin to come into power also (is that not an eye opener?). Bush is on his way out because The Lord allowed it to happen. Whether we vote on the Democratic ticket or the Republican ticket, God will have His glorious way. I think WE THE PEOPLE that call ourselves Christians should stop debating and start looking up because as the Word of God says, Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.(KJV). Remember, this is the way the nation of Israel acted and they got Saul. Witnessing to the lost is why we are all here not to debate, as if you all were going into office. Again, God is in control of all.

Christian Vote

posted October 24, 2008 at 10:00 am

Melvin, so your desires for this country is infanticide, loss of first and second right amendments? government controlled healthcare? reducing military and necleuar capabilities? mandating a draft and a 500,000 civiliian army? increased government spending to 1 trillion dollars and another 850 billion dollars to be spend in the global poverty act? Of mandatory volunteerism rather than our freedom to choose our own efforts towards that end?

Russ Bell

posted October 24, 2008 at 10:37 am

In thinking about this coming election, I can’t help but ask myself this one question. Do I want to stand before God and say that “I supported abortions at the rate of 10,000 per year.” I can’t imagine a scenario where I would condone such an act. As a “real” born again Christian, I believe in the santicy of God given life; from the moment of conception to the time we take our last breath. For this reason, I could not support a party who believe otherwise, no matter how closely it may identify with where I think this country ought to go. If Christians would vote according to the bible, there would be no debates.

Linda Elliott

posted October 24, 2008 at 11:36 am

Christian Vote
You slam Melvin’s point of view, but why do you think we need heavy nuclear capabilities and military power (and I don’t want to hear about somebody is after us). I think some of them on the right should rethink their positions before slamming another person about prochoice issues. Because while they talk about infanticide, is it our right to go into other countries and bomb them into smithereens? I can’t fathom Christians thinking this way… This is big time evil no matter how you chew it. But you rattle on about these things as if it’s as normal as breathing and call evil a woman killing her baby before it’s born.

Nita Austin

posted October 24, 2008 at 11:53 am

Praise the Lord everybody! God is in control and his will, will be done. That is what we should be praying for that God’s will be done!
By the way neither of the candidates are saved. But, every person the Lord used in the Bible was not either so, let’s draw from that. I don’t agree with everything either one of them have to say but, I believe Obama’s vision for peace and love and bringing people together in every races have a more Godly vision for me. Because the worst is yet to come and before it happens we could all use a little peace!
God bless you all and let’s all keep praying for God’s will to be done in Heaven and in the Earth! Jesus is in control!

Paul,seeking wisdom

posted October 24, 2008 at 12:03 pm

We live in a country that pays farmers not to grow crops while thirty thousand children a day die due to famine. We live in a Nation of wealth while the elderly are eating soup and pet food. We live in the omly industrial country without a National Health program that meets the needs of the people.
And while the Republican party held the highest office in the land, controlled both houses and held a majority of the Supreme court, NO laws were passed to prevent a single life to be lost because of abortion.
When God comes to judge this generation, we will fail! The policies of the past must change! Every week we should be sending letters to Congress and the White House reminding them that we are a Nation for the good and not the greed. We should look upon our taxes as an opportunity for improvement rather than a burden and we should demand that our chruch tithe be used for the betterment of the people and not the “bigger and better” buildings.

Richard Mckoy

posted October 24, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Although I’m not a democrate or republician. I choose to vote the Bible Way. I support Mccain ,the main reason abortion (Killing the unborn) Obama supports abortion rights of a mother to kill the fetus. Remember our thoughts are govern by (Teaching,Associations, and Obsrevations). The mind is where the battlefield is,his ties with the Rev. Wright and his teaching goes against the Bible teachings.His radical stance on abortion to his prominence in the corruption scandals that has been virtually ingored by the mainstream media. His ties with Tony Rezko connection (the convicted developer),Bill Ayres (the terrorist),William Frank Marshall (The communist who mentor him in Hawaii). He agrees to give illegal immigrants driver license. I could go on an on about Obamas ,what you need to know in order to vote the Bible way.John Jay the Original Cheif Justice of The Supreme Court said it is our duty as Christians to to select and prefer Christians for our rulers. Since Roe vs Wade thi country has lose its blessings from GOD, the killings of the unborn babies by the millions.

Your Name

posted October 24, 2008 at 8:18 pm

I invite prolifers to join the Forty Days of Prayer with Stand True Christian Ministries.

Nicki Brown

posted October 24, 2008 at 9:45 pm

As a Christian, I can only vote for Senator McCain. I wouldn’t even consider voting for Senator Obama. I am primarily concerned with the pro-life issue. To me, that’s more important than a prosperous economy. If you’re spiritually poor and have all the wealth of the world, it’s still not enough to satisfy God or to save your soul. May the McCain/Palin ticket win, and may God continue to show His mercy on us. He’s given this country so much, and we’ve rejected and dishonored Him. Pray, brothers and sisters, PRAY TO THE LORD, OUR GOD! The fate of our land is hanging in the balance.

Connie Cunningham

posted October 25, 2008 at 12:01 am

I cannot understand how anyone who claims to be a born again, evengelical christian can even consider voting for someone who openly supports legalized murder of our defenseless children and a lifestyle that God plainly says is an abomination to him. I sincerely believe that the only hope for this nation is to follow God’s instruction in II Chronicles chapter 7, verse 14. READ IT if you own a bible. Note: God is only talking to HIS people who are called by HIS name, not the heathen. Let’s all humble ourselves and pray and seek HIS face and turn from our wicked ways. Yes we ALL have wicked ways that we need to turn from. If we are proud of them, do we know anything about God? I truly believe that if God allows the Obama/Biden ticket to win it is a sure sign of the continued escalation of trials and tribulation of His people and Jesus,s very soon return. May God have mercy on our souls.

Rose Scmalzried

posted October 25, 2008 at 12:20 am

I do pray that Our God will shown mercy on our nation, The Word of God states, if that Nation which is called by my name will turn form their sins and I will hear and heal their land. It looks like we have set aside our Christian values, Our country was established on faith in the Living God and his word, Freedom to worship him, not from freedom from a Godless life without him. That is why we are in Big trouble now. Look at any nation, that left God out and see what has happen to those nations!. Just look at History, if you don’t understand what I am saying. I pray for our country every night. We have been sucessful in the past, But we had a God fearing nation WE have grown lazy. Blessings just don’t happen, they come down from a loving, caring God. What ever happen to people wanting to work, now they expect a handout. The Bible says, if a man will not work, neither shall he eat. That young man, wants to give people a free lunch, I belive in helping the poor to be sure, but not freeloaders.

Stanley Rodriguez

posted October 25, 2008 at 3:43 am

As a father to a toddler, the issue of abortion hurts me. I can’t even see a picture of an injured baby without tears coming to my eyes. My problem with this election is the feeling that I was being used by President Bush in the last two elections. He spoke so authoratatively and passionately about being a Christian that he swayed me in the hope I was voting for a true believer. I often think he has not represented himself as a Christian many times. And I do believe that he failed this country and made mistakes that has hurt our country. My mistake was that I placed to much faith in a man, and not the Lord. I look at my son and it re-affirms my faith in God. It makes me believe He has a plan for all of us, and that the plan will be beautiful when all is said and done. We live in faith-trying times and as I vote, I will vote with the belief that the Lord will make things right.
Regardless of who wins, the good Lord is with us, and will protect us. I plan on trying to be a beacon of hope and faith during the next four years. They will be tough ones, and the next president will be challenged, oh so very challenged, to start us on a path to recovery.
Many of these posts here seem so… sad, and bitter. Rejoice! Delight thyself in the Lord and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

John Mathews

posted October 25, 2008 at 6:31 am

People pray to God his will be done in our election.

JON FERDINAND

posted October 25, 2008 at 6:49 am

SADLY OUR NATION APPEARS TO BE ON THE VERGE OF ELECTING BARACK OBAMA WHO HAS NO PROBLEM WITH TAKING THE LIVES OF BABIES. HE SAYS HE IS NOT FOR ABORTION, YET VOTES CONSISTENTLY TO KEEP IT LEGAL. BECAUSE IT IS LEGAL DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT. GOD’S WORD IS CLEAR. THE LORD CAME TO GIVE US LIFE AND MORE ABUNDANTLY, BUT THE DEVIL COMES TO ROB, STEAL AND KILL. (JOHN 10:10). OBAMA IS AN AGENT OF SATAN BY NOT OPPOSING ABORTION AND THUS I COULD NEVER VOTE FOR HIM. I PRAY THAT THE LORD WILL INTERVENE AND DESPITE THE POLLS SHOW MERCY TO US AND LET JOHN MCCAIN BE ELECTED.

Dorris Ponstingl

posted October 25, 2008 at 7:44 am

I really don’t understand where obama came from ,who has been grooming him to get him in the position? Why hasn’t people been more concerned about his true background?
He has NOT been in any military service to have fought for our country.
He has NOT been heard of before the Election for choosing people to run for President!Where did the person come from?
1)I do believe we better put into Law of this country that NO PERSON HAS THE PRIVLEDGE to run for president of our Country (USA) unless he is of the FORTH generation to be born in AMERICA. 2)That they will abide by the Constitution that our country stands on.3) that we will keep the ten comments put in every court house as they were before.
I fear that if we don’t get stronger in keeping our America on the foundation it was built on ,Our young people will NEVER know the true meaning of ” IN GOD WE TRUST”and why America was once so revered by all other countries.they will not know FREEDOM as we once knew it.
How can you get them to listen that we are being sold down the river to Socialism,communisun don’t mean to come across as a phonetic ,but I do want to come across as a person that is really frighten .
We fought communism foe how many years and now we have it in our country.
I read a book the said Lets Fire Washington,best idea I have heard in a long time , we need to and start Over with the people voting not the political machines.
We have to stop talking and reading and start acting on all of the good ideas foe OUR Country.
Let Us NOT forget we do not live in fear of what the political parties call, what is the quote”Politically correct”I say what is RIGHT about politics? and who started the phrase any way?you can bet it was a politician.
Let us Pray that we don’t let a man in the White House that really isn’t a true American and has the belief of what our country was built on,Not saying we need a change, Scary isn’t, when you don’t know and they are not telling you the changes they in truth are contemplating.
GOD BLESS AMERICA,and ALL IT’S PEOPLE,
Dorris

Barbara Kidwell

posted October 25, 2008 at 8:32 am

I agree with Dorris, where did this man come from? According to CNN, we do not have a right to know anything unless they want us to. What is going on? It is my understanding that he has never defeated anyone for the two seats he has held. The one in Ill., and the one in Washington. Need to know more about this. We let one women get prayer taken out of our schools because she was an athiest. A women not unlike Obamas mother who was an athiest also. I truly believe Obama if elected will betray us. The churches are not speaking up because they are afraid of being taxed if they talk about politics. I say, we had better make sure every Christian votes and the elderly in our churches are taken so they can vote also. Bush has made this election so difficult but we can win if we pull together for the better good. We need John and Sarah. Pray, Pray, Pray.
Jesus Bless America, In Him we Trust.

Randy Golladay

posted October 25, 2008 at 9:55 am

As we approach one of the most ground breaking elections in our nation’s history, we need to remember that we as non-vocal, passive or quiet Christians hold a great deal of responsibility in why this country is where it is. We have allowed our Christian rights to be overrun, trampled upon, by virtue of our efforts to be non-confrontational or by not wanting to be offensive. I am saddened by both candidates lack of voice on their religious beliefs and convictions. If they are reluctant to speak of their own relationship with God, why should I expect them to face the persecution of their respective party or the persecution of the rest of the country or world when attermpting to do the right thing. I also feel we need to remember that one person, no matter what position he or she holds, is not going to undo all the damage done in the past 2 or 3 presedential terms. We need to be looking at all of the senators and congress people up for election as they will have a major impact on what our president will accomplish in the next 4 years. Also, take a look at one of the pieces of legislation before congress now (The Broadcasters Freedom Act). Read carefully the original wording of the Fairness Doctrine” and then look at what the BFA is attempting to do. Then look at who’s supporting the BFA and who’s hoping it won’t come to a vote and be defeated. If you are struggling with your decision for President on November 4th, this may help you make up your mind.
Give God the Glory and Pray for our Country!
Give Thanks, be safe and have a Blessed Day!

jimmy

posted October 25, 2008 at 11:29 am

ALL Christians should watch this VERY important video before voting.

Ellen

posted October 25, 2008 at 2:46 pm

The question has been asked Where did this man (Obama) come from?. Was this not the same question that was asked by the Pharisees conerning Jesus?. I am by no means comparing Obama to Jesus, but I am comparing those that asked the question of Obama to the Pharisees.
It has been said that as christians we should not vote for Obama because he stands for abortion,let me ask…in the past eight years has abortion decreased? let me answer, NO!!. Talk is cheap we can say that we stand for something,but if we do nothing to stump it out,then are we just as guilty as those who stands for it?.
Please understand me my brothers and sisters in Christ,we ALL need to seek God’s guidance on this elction and not vote because of party perferences,or color. Be led by the Spirit Of God.
I voted for President Bush because I KNOW that I was led by God to do so. We are now just days away from election and I still don’t know to whom I will cast my vote…God’s will be done, for He is the judge of ALL men’s heart.
Ellen.

cathy

posted October 25, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Where did Palin come from???? Or for that matter McCain??? Can you think of any better arguements? Seriously.

THINK ABOUT IT

posted October 26, 2008 at 8:28 am

Obama tells us Pastor Jeremiah Wright led him to Christ and was his mentor for over twenty years. Yet he has distanced himself from his religious teacher to fool “born again” voters into supporting him?
If you consider yourself a Christian and you live in America–
Please read this article and pray before you vote:
A Candidate, His Minister and the Search for Faith

Ronald D.Bauer

posted October 27, 2008 at 2:03 am

I disagree with your polling results we are actually finding more conservative older voters wanting a change.

Rosalie Joy

posted November 1, 2008 at 2:34 am

Eight years ago, when Bush was running for eliction, I said, “if this man become the president of the United State, this country will be in serious trouble. First we had 9/11, then the war and now this fianacial disaster as he about to leave office.
If Obama has no experience and Mccain has and knows everything, why is it that he let Obama run such well managed and more sophisticated campaign than he does? I wish he would stop saying he has the scars to prove it. Many did not make it out of the war. Those who made it may never be the same again. He needs to stop using that as an excuse to get people to vote for him. He never talk about those who didn’t make it out of the war. It’s all about Mccain, Mccain. Why is it that Palin gets to have free baby sitting. She gets to bring her child to her Job, how about the rest of the country who are struggling to pay for baby sitting. What happen to fairness and justice for all?

Wade Ronske

posted November 2, 2008 at 3:00 pm

If Mc Cain is such a christian why did he leave his ailing wife and commit adultery twice? Also how does making 42 millon a yr in alcohol sales line up with the word of God?

America!

posted November 4, 2008 at 5:23 am

America is blind to vote for Obama he goes to all this trouble to keep his past a secret and were going to put him in office? What a joke! I love how some people on here post who is he to judge someone when he has a past like he does? Well Dr.Manning’s past is exactly that his past we are looking at the present and our future! Putting a man in office who will bring along with him a state of socialism is not what our country needs. Any person who would vote for this man and call themselves a Christian is nothing but lukewarm! Dr. Manning brings out many good points and will probably be persecuted for it a man so passionate about God and his country should himself be elected. Obama is not even a citizen of our country he is a criminal and will bring our country to a halt our economy is already suffering and we are bringing in this? Have a brain America!!!! McCain may not be the best choice for office but he far exceeds that of Obama

Your Name

posted November 8, 2008 at 5:46 pm

I am frankly ashamed of so called christians who say they love the Lord. Race and fear and ignorance played a major part in the Obama election. We as Christians should never vote because of race or fear. God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind. We would not be so easily persuaded if we studied God’s word more and truly believed that He and only He is our Lord. Our position on issues of every kind should be solved by applying God’s word to the concern. We as christians dont know and have not been taught to apply God’s word to our every day life, that is why we do what we think and not what God says to do. I have been on my knee in the face of God and asked Him to forgive us your children.

flip flop

posted August 14, 2010 at 4:16 am

oh,my god if tnere is a chance for you ch best service and best flip flop ,d n’t miss it ,come on ….to tch it

Five Fingers Shoes

posted August 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Very happy to see your article, I very much to like and agree with your point of view. Thank you for sharing. At the same time,i love Five Fingers Shoes very much .Welcome to look at my website and blog articles.Hope we can become good friends, and exchange and to help each other! Thanks!!

rthorne

posted February 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm

WARNING!
With the extreme chaos in the Middle East and all the strange weather happing now!
Jesus declared things are only going to get worse…Matthew 24

WAKE UP NOW!
Truth Revealed Ministry…..Revised
GO TO:
MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS GO TO: http://www.youtube.com/user/rthorne2
SEND TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW….
THIS WILL BE THE ONLY E-MAIL UNLESS YOU HAVE OTHER WEBSITES ON THE WEB….
JESUS SAID GO OUT AND SPREAD THE GOSPEL TO THE WHOLE WORLD!