Steven Waldman

Steven Waldman

Ok, another question for Palin: Did Dinosaurs and Humans Co-Exist?

posted by swaldman

This should certainly not be deemed a definitive account but does seem to be plausible enough to justify a question being posed to Palin.
By the way, dear readers, if it’s true that she thinks Pebbles and Deeno really did live at the same time, would that make you feel worse about Palin? Better? Or not change your view?

Cranky

posted September 29, 2008 at 3:15 pm

There’s a small site near Tuba City Arizona, where sandstone has human and dinosaur tracks side by side embedded in the same sandstone layer.
Been there, seen it.
So, what, exactly, is the controversy about?

Gene

posted September 29, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Jeez, we might have a president that thinks dinosaurs and people existed together just 6,000 years ago? How these people can perform basic things like managing a savings account, let alone major campaigns, is beyond comprehension. We truly have no standards when it comes to elected officials.

Cynthia Howe

posted September 29, 2008 at 3:50 pm

How is this relevant to her running for president? She’s not running for “Pope”, or “Minister”, she’s running for political post. This is ridiculous, and it’s showing up all over google.com. Great way to show the world what Christians are concerned about… What about the souls of mankind?

Steve Snead

posted September 29, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Ya know as a great scientist said after being attacked by the little pitbull without lipstick Michael Shermer (who is a historian not a scientist by the bye!) Science is a “Method” not a posistion! I don’t think humans and dinos co-existed but ya know what? I don’t think we have found the ultimate truth of the universe yet either. The former poster is correct there have been tracks found. Is there an explanation? Yes but is it the only one? I don’t know. Lets try to keep our standards high and not give “religous” test even if it’s the religion of scientism to our elected leaders.

Turmarion

posted September 29, 2008 at 9:14 pm

This site pretty much debunks the whole dinosaur/human footprint together thing. No credentialed professional in archaeology, paleontolgy, geology, physics, chemistry, or astronomy regardless of their religion, believes this or any other aspect of young-Earth creationism (the belief that Genesis is literally true and thus that the universe is about 6000 years old). E.g. evangelical Christian Francis Collins understands that the overwhelming evidence is that evolution did indeed occur and that the universe is billions of years old.
Cynthia Howe: How is this relevant to her running for president?
Would you want to vote for someone who thought the Earth was flat or that the Sun revolved around the Earth? To the extent that science and educational policy are part of being POTUS or VP, that wouldn’t be a good idea, would it? Young-Earth creationism is on the same level as flat-Earthism.
Steve Snead: I don’t think we have found the ultimate truth of the universe yet either.
True as far as it goes, but this indicates a misunderstanding of science. Scientific knowledge is an ongoing enterprise, and things once believed true may be overthrown in the future. However, in any given circumstance, we go with the best available data. E.g., the sun might not rise tomorrow; but the chances are so slim, that it would be absurd for me to make plans for that eventuality. Likewise, we really understand very little about gravity, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for me to take a swan dive off the Empire State Building while flapping my arms furiously! So, theoretically it could occur that better data actually confirms young-Earth creationism, just as the “Bigfoot corpse” of this summer past could have been real. However, in both cases, there is such an incredibly greater amount of evidence in opposition that no reasonable person would have bet for the truth of the phenomenon (i.e. young Earth or Bigfoot).
A person certainly is entitled to his or her religious beliefs, even if they are absurd or even dangerous (think Christian Science and its attitude towards medicine); but when a person is in a position of public trust, or even in a position that affects others in a public way, they have a responsibility to keep their personal beliefs out of it. If anyone disagrees with me on this: suppose Joe Schmoe sincerely believes that 2+2=88. He has a “right” to do so, in a sense; but does anyone think the IRS will be OK with tax returns done using such math, or that he won’t get in trouble with his bank? Does anyone think that pleading religious liberty will help him? OK, young-Earth creationism is about as sound as the belief that 2+2=88. I wouldn’t vote for someone who believed either proposition.

tim

posted September 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm

The fact that you even raise this as a serious question is a sad comment on the dumbing down of America. As a nation, as a people, have we really sunk so slow? Are we really this stupid?

Warren Cheswick

posted September 30, 2008 at 12:02 am

“I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.” —Presidential candidate George W. Bush, Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

Charles Cosimano

posted September 30, 2008 at 12:57 am

I know that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time because my Grandmother would joke that as a young woman she had to help cook the dinosaur for dinner in the family cave.
Ok, we know that Palin is an idiot who suffers from periodic attacks of mental illness which manifests as glossalalia and is thus disqualified from the position of VP so if she believes other idiocies, that is to be expected.

Steve Snead

posted September 30, 2008 at 11:53 am

LOL! I am not a young earth creationist. I was simply stating that our understanding of reality is in the infant stages. No I don’t think cavemen and dinos roamed the earth at the same time. But, it will only take one verified find to overturn the “accepted” theory. I was quoting Rupert Sheldrake who is a very well respected British scientist who has been attacked for even “attempting” to research outside the accepted norm. No I am not an athiest but I’m not a evangelical either. While I understand and respect the scientific method it is just that. A method for understanding things we can measure and re-produce. It is not proof of atheism nor does it support religion or any other dogma be it athiest or religous. I have found that the “new” atheist are just as guilty as their counterparts in the religous community of trying to “silence” dissenting views. As for Palin I am not a repulican nor will I be supporting a repulican ticket. But, I don’t really care what her religious views are. When I go to a dentist I don’t ask him or her what their religion is anymore than I would ask a mechanic what his religion is. Lets not make the same mistake the religous right has made and have a religous test or even a scientism test for political office.
Steve Snead
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of freedom…Einstien!

Steve Snead

posted September 30, 2008 at 11:59 am

Please forgive my spelling errors in the above post. (as well as this one if I make any.)What I was trying to say is no I am not a creationist. However, I don’t think things just happened and there is no reason beyond chance that the world is here. Still that is a debate for another thread. I can’t see anyone voting for the repulican ticket this time because of the shape the economy is in. I would absolutely vote for a flat earther if I thought their economic and forign policy was sound. I just wouldn’t let em teach my kid science. :-) (or history for that matter.)
A sense of humor..don’t leave home without it. ;)

Phillip

posted September 30, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I think it does matter if Gov. Palin thinks dinosaurs co-existed with humans 6,000 years ago. It goes a long way to explain the ability of a person to form sound judgement. As it’s not an issue that deals with the unknown, it can’t be dismissed as faith. It’s simply a direct contradiction of what the truth is. It’s as if she said she doesn’t believe in nuclear theory, or the theory of gravity, yet we see the truths of those repeatedly.

hootie1fan

posted September 30, 2008 at 1:50 pm

If I was a member of a Pentacostal Church that Sarah Palin wanted to join, I would have no problem welcoming her with open arms, but we aren’t talking about that. This is a person who wants to be elected to the second highest office in the USA and that is where her scientific beliefs come to play.

pagansister

posted September 30, 2008 at 9:13 pm

All that article did was reinforce my opinion of her. That was…no way would I want her in the 2nd highest office in the land.
First, it is her ultra-conservative religious beliefs, then her total lack of understanding of foreign affairs, (I can see Russia from my back yard seems to be the extent of it), her lack of ability to answer questions that are asked her in interviews regarding ANYTHING that she’d need to know to be a vice-president, and a heart-beat away from the presidency. How she thinks Dino and Bam-Bam were on the earth at the same time? Scary.
No, we most certainly don’t need to her as VP….nor her running mate as President. Neither appeal to me at all.