Rod Dreher

Rod Dreher

Here’s your chance to say goodbye

posted by Rod Dreher

By week’s end at the most, I’ll be saying goodbye to Beliefnet and moving this blog over to Big Questions Online. When I make the announcement, I’ll close all comments threads, because I won’t be able to monitor them anymore. I’ll be giving coordinates for the new blog and all that, but because when I turn out the lights on my Beliefnet career, there won’t be any combox commentary after that, I want to give all of you a chance to say goodbye to each other, if you won’t be following me to the new blog. I devoutly hope you do, of course, but not all of you will. So, if you want to say anything to each other — nice things! — this thread is the place to do it. It will be open until the end, which is very close (I’m not saying when because we’re still doing testing on the new site, and I’m not exactly sure of precisely when we’re going to go live … but it’s very soon.)
Be kind, folks. Some of us have been together on this blog for a long time … and we don’t even know each others’ names! Funny how online community works.

RSG

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Rod, thanks for this space. I’ve learned a lot here and been challenged in many wonderful ways. God bless in your new endeavor.

John

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I’ve only recently come to the site regularly so I don’t know anyone. But I also only came to Beliefnet for your blog, so I’ll see you at BQO. Just keep posting about food and faith and family and books.

Turmarion

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I must say that I have enormously enjoyed and learned from the time I’ve been here on both iterations of Rod’s blog. I have also been privileged to have interacted with many interesting people here. Those with whom I’ve been in agreement have been a good support; those with whom I’ve disagreed have helped me understand my own position better (and have often been fun to talk to, as well). I hope as many as possible from here re-convene in the digs, and that we can continue to consider all the interesting issues of the day (and maybe be a little silly at times, too!).
Shout-outs to MH, John E.-Agn Stoic, Hector, and sigilaris, to name but a few! It’s been fun, it’s been real!
Good luck, farewell (where applicable), see you later (to those who’ll be continuing), and mnogaya leta (“many years”!).
CAPTCHA: teaspoon million Doing his best Dorothy Gale voice: “CAPTCHA, I’ll miss you most of all!” NOT! ;)

stari_momak

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Thanks for the tolerance of decidedly out of the mainstream opinions, to Rod and others. I can’t really get worked up about theological questions — though epistemology is another matter. I will however stop in at the other blog.
Captch: Welsh deploring

TTT

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Regardless of where you go, I hope future content includes more news of your sister’s recovery.

hild

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Just saying it one more time for the record: Neil Postman couldn’t possibly have known that Visigoths spoke in clichés. The only surviving example of their language is a translation of the New Testament.
Seriously, best to all in whatever futures you find. The time here and at Crunchy Cons has been great.

Elizabeth Anne

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I find I’m getting a little emotional about this! This is one of my most-frequented websites, and I’ll miss you all. Of course, I’ll s ee many of you (I hope!) over at the new digs, but it’s not quite the same, is it!
(Captcha: musings rock. Yes, yes they do.)

Houghton

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Best to you all. I’ll be following the new blog, though my commenting has been seriously curtailed by parenting a newborn, priorities and all — I only came to Beliefnet for this one! Hope to see the regulars there!

the stupid Chris

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Rod,
I’ve enjoyed reading your musings about the nature of consciousness and reality and truth. All good, and challenging. Keep it up!
See you on the other side….

Rod Dreher

posted July 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Alas, I won’t make it to 1,000 posts on this Crunchy Con successor blog, but will end up at about 980. It’s looking like we’ll launch the new site tomorrow morning. If so, that means all commenting here will come to an end at midnight tonight.

Helen

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

This has been a great blog, Rod. Thanks to all the commenters — always thought-provoking stuff.

jparker

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I’ve been mainly a reader, not a commenter, but I’ve checked this site probably every working day for the past 3-4 years. I’ve enjoyed so much, been worn down by a bit of it (for example, I’m so glad Rod tailed off on the Kunstler, etc. “the world will fall into barbarism by 2012″ posts these past few months), and am grateful to Rod for sharing so much of himself in this blog.
all the best to you, Rod, and your family.
JP

Caroline Nina in DC

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’ve truly come to love this community, and will miss it. I’ve often thought about and prayed for people only known to me via their online pseudonyms here.
I’ll go sign up for Ruthie’s FB page, too.
I await excitedly BQO!
Captcha: exhumes 50-51

Chuck Bloom

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Surely, you can type on 20 more topics between now and then. (Of course you can, and don’t call me “Shirley”).
I will always pray for your sister and hope one day to actually see her, perhaps at a Jo-El Sonnier concert in St. Francisville (love me some Cajun/country accordian), in full health and spirits.
And I hope you will answer more of your e-mail so thoughts can be shared one-on-one between friends…like how much we cannot stand the Cowboys.
Shalom and l’acheim.

Al-Dhariyat

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Looking forward to your new blog, Rod. Here’s hoping that the new address isn’t blockt at work! (or else what would I do, be work-productive? pah!).

thehova

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm

All in all, I loved the blog. Sorry for all of my late night, acerbic comments.

Cecelia

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Look forward to the new blog but there has been such a great atmosphere here – suspect it will be great but still different on the new blog and I will miss that – hope to see everyone at the new blog and congrats and best wishes Houghton!

Rod Dreher

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Let me hasten to add that you’re going to see pretty much the same things over there that you saw here. But it’s going to take a little bit of time for me to get comfortable in the new blogging software. I spent 90 minutes today doing a test post that would have taken me 10 minutes on Beliefnet. It’s all a matter of learning a new system.
Also, as I’ve said before, commenting will be more difficult, but I think better for us all. I’ll explain that on my final post here, which might be up as soon as midnight tonight, depending on how our testing goes here today.

Matthew from Alaska

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Rod and everyone,
This is the only blog I come to every day. Of course I will follow you over to BQO. To my fellow commenters, I say thank you, both to those I agree with and those I don’t for always providing a good discussion and insights that I could not have had on my own. A special thanks to Erin Manning for her excellent filling in over the years.
Rod thank you for point me to some of my other favorite blogs such as Restoring Mayberry, and Sharyn Astyk.

R Hampton

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm

See you on the other side

Grumpy Old Man

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Rod, good luck on the new blog.
I’ve enjoyed this blog because of the great variety of topics you cover, not always predictably, your willingness to change your mind, and your good humor in a blogosphere frequently beset by curmudgeons such as myself and angry ideologues.
I even enjoy the various end-of-civilization scenarios you present every now and then. Survival gives me a little frisson.
Appropriate Captcha: chemistry caesura.

TT

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Good bye and good luck. I’ll continue to follow you at your
new site.
The commenter I’ll miss most: Lord Karth.
Thank you sir for your interesting comments.

Hector

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Rod,
Thanks for a great blog, and for providing such thoughtful and insightful commentary. I really appreciate your writing on this blog and find it always interesting, even when I disagree with it (as I often do). I especially like the fact that you have a lot of charity, respect, and common decency towards people who disagree with you (Andrew Sullivan, Rowan Williams, and others), which is a gift that is, sadly, rare among bloggers, intellectuals, and people in general. (I honestly wish I had more of your personal charity, to be honest). Good luck with your new blog- I hope to be part of it, as long as commenting isn’t too much of a hassle.
John E., Turmarion, Charles Foster Kane, Cecelia, Connie Connie, ‘Observer’, and others- thanks for making this blog such an enjoyable reading experience, and for providing such insightful commentary. I’ve learned a lot from all of you.

Franklin Evans

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm

To all of those who won’t be frequenting the new blog: Thanks for the fish. Pozdrov! Go carefully and be well.
To all of those who will be there: My personal apologies in advance. If you thought I was (at times) longwinded and pompous here, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet!

Ivan

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I, the very-occasional commenter, hope it stays this entertaining and thought-provoking.

texasaggiemom

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Good luck with the new blog, Rod! Favorites in the combox have been John E., Franklin Evans, and Lord Karth–hope to see you on the other side!

Erin Manning

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I’ve enjoyed both of Rod’s Beliefnet blogs very much–I remember the various “format changes” with the first one, and with this one we went from a Captcha that was often frustrating to the new system which works well and is positively spooky at times. But it was always the content that mattered, both Rod’s excellent posts and the challenging and thoughtful conversations that ensued. I’ve enjoyed the interaction with so many of you, and hope it will continue at the new site. For those who don’t continue, though, be well!
[Captcha: dropout well. Like I said--spooky.] :)

CAP

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm

my brief moments of downtime on the job only allow me enough time to follow along with about 1 blogsite (and flickr) on a semi-running basis. for a long time, that 1 was basically a left-wing talking circle. the discovery of your blog, and the varied contributors, quickly made me jump ship. my general worldview hasn’t dramatically shifted since then, but i have certainly had more put on my intellectual plate to consider and reflect upon and learn from here. the level and breadth of discourse has been a rare bird, indeed. and has allowed me to so often hear from the horses mouth (or fingers, i guess) many things that i would not otherwise have the occasion to. so, thanks all. thanks rod. maybe i’ll see you on the other side.

ScurvyOaks

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:55 pm

What a gracious and patient host you’ve been, Rod! I will follow to the new blog, of course. I have fond feelings for so many of the other commenters here — by all means including the ones with whom I’ve crossed swords from time to time.

Bluegrass Up

posted July 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Rod, I’ve been a regular and nigh daily reader of your blogging (also a very occasional commenter) since… oh, dating back to before you publicly announced your conversion to Orthodoxy. It’s been a trip, and I’ll be following you over to the new blog.
I must admit, I’m ancient and grizzled enough (there’s even more grey in my beard than yours) that I’m still just plumb amazed at the way this medium of the Internet annihilates place and geography. To steal a line from Richard Brautigan, “I am here and you are distant,” and yet here we all are together. Then again, in my youth I remember people saying much the same thing about television. Or radio– to think, my grandparents grew up without even radio.
Is this heading anywhere? Probably not. Just to let you know I’ve enjoyed the ride! See you on the other side.

Todd K

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Rod,
Did you make it to 1000 posts?

John E. - Agn Stoic

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Back at ya, Tumarion, Hector, texasaggiemom, and I’ll be on the new blog, most definitely.

Hunk Hondo

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm

You’ve had a great run here, and I think it likely that most of the many combox commandos I’ve found enjoyable and/or challenging will follow you to your new digs, as will I. Some few, whom I won’t name, will be well worth losing. Right now, I think a good sign off line for you would be Bunyan’s for Mr. Valiant-for-Truth:”So he passed over, and the trumpets sounded for him on the other side.” See you there.

Mere Catholic

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Can’t say I’m a regular part of the combox community here, but I’ve truly enjoyed your writing, especially with the incredible posts about your sister. Best wishes (and continued prayers) for Ruthie and of course, for you!

Ragamuffin

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I’m confused. Are we all saying goodbye because we’ll no longer be commenting on Rod’s blog posts here or because there will be no commenting allowed at his new blog space at all?

Charles Cosimano

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I’ll be following you Rod. I don’t know how I could get going in the morning without you spiking my blood pressure.

Ruby

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm

can’t believe I didn’t find you before now. let me know when you more to the other addy

Richard Barrett

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

“Crunchy Con” was the first blog I ever really followed with any particular regularity; I’ve been around long enough to remember people like Bubba and Diane (and I still wonder if Bubba might have been who I initially thought he was), and also to remember the “‘Doxing of Dreher” controversy. It’s too bad that the Benedict Option book never materialized, that Crunchy Cons the book appears to have gone out of print, and that “crunchy conservatism” itself seems to have never really come together in any kind of visible fashion (wasn’t there talk at some point of a conference?), but perhaps it all ultimately will have led to something better anyway.
Looking forward to BQO.
Richard

John in Austin

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I second Matthew from Alaska on all points. For my part, my comments have been few, so I have gained much more than I have given. I appreciate the community of diverse characters here, and I have especially enjoyed the insight and civility of Franklin Evans and Erin Manning. And several others (Rawlins comes to mind, for one) seem like neighbors.
Looking forward to the new blog!
(Captcha: Euclidean compactly; yes, that should do the trick)

The Will

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Rod, see you at the new blog.

Rod Dreher

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Yes, Richard, I agree that it is too bad that crunchy conservatism never amounted to much. But I have made so many good friends through that book, and have lots of e-mails from individuals whose lives it helped changed. That’s gratifying. And I wouldn’t have gotten this blog if not for that book … and wouldn’t have “met” you all.
I do hope I can do the Benedict Option book one day. I haven’t forgotten. One problem with having a blog, at least if you’re me: no time left for more leisurely writing.

B

posted July 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Rod,
I read more than I post, and I’ll be following you to your new blog, but I just want to say thank you. As a liberal in most facets of my life, it’s nice to see a conservative opinion that I can identify with intellectually – if not always personally.
– B

bill holston

posted July 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I’ve only commented here on occasion, but read often. I enjoy the community here, and I hope people navigate to the new site. As I sat on my deck this morning, I prayed for Ruthie, as I do each morning. I count it a real privilege to join with Christians from so many different traditions all praying for a woman, most of us don’t know, as a result of this cyber connection. I think its one of the places the Internet works.
Glad to have met you Rod. Its a pleasure.

Jan Hus

posted July 21, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Roland d’Chaison….please say you’ll frequent the other blog!! Your posts are my favorites. And I apologize if I’ve mis-spelled your name.

MargaretE

posted July 21, 2010 at 6:01 pm

This forum is one of the best on the internet! I can’t imagine all the regulars won’t follow you to the new blog. Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name… and they’re (usually) glad you came…
Cheers, Rod. You the best.
captcha: master peace (Love it!)

Anglican

posted July 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I’ll miss this blog,I have followed both of Rod’s blogs here for the whole run on Beliefnet. And even though I am a infrequent commenter,but daily reader and have had some strong disagreements with people when I have commented, I appreciate many of the regulars here, who have made this blog more interesting.

Major Wootton

posted July 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Crunchy con voices may still be heard at Front Porch Republic and probably other sites. It might be well for the FPR folks to consider an actual meeting somewhere. The Crunchy Con potential remains.
How many of you combox vets have at least one book that you’ve bought thanks to mentions by Rod or others here or at the old CC blog, that you haven’t read but that you would still like to see discussed some more in the new blog, and perhaps would like even to read?
That book by Pitirim Sorokin comes to my mind — the one that Rod was all excited about and said was hard to find or rare enough to be a bit expensive, and I went online and found one from an Amazon dealer or abebooks.com for just a few bucks! ;-) I might kid you about that, Rod, if I ever meet you.
“wares protected”

Spambalaya

posted July 21, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Rod, I hope you’ll consider leaving the comments to this thread open for a couple days more to allow those who only drop in every couple days to say their proper goodbyes as well. I’m sure there are a lot of folks who don’t expect it to be closed for business so abruptly. This is a family of sorts.
Just a thought.

Spambalaya

posted July 21, 2010 at 6:41 pm

This is a very sad day for me to see such a fine forum close up shop. I realize that many of the same posters will be migrating to the new board, but obviously it won’t be the same. If my experience with other moderated (that is, comments preapproved by the site host/manager before posting) boards is any indication, the conversational interaction will be lost, replaced by a series of largely standalone posts. I can see myself wandering away from the new board in short order should this be the case, because to me the greatest attraction here has been the community of people here. I’ve been given a great opportunity to listen in to, and learn from, so many fine commenters, debaters and, yes, teachers. Although I seldom comment myself (I’m a slow, meticulous, longwinded writer who doesn’t visit here every day, so by the time I’ve formulated a response the thread is often inactive and my argument is moot), I’ve treasured being a part of this conversation.
Therefore, if I should wander away from the new board, let me take this chance to say “thank you” to The Fellowship of the Rod. There are some I especially enjoyed that left long ago (Charles Foster Kane comes to mind), and some that came in near the end, but for the most part this has been a pretty stable bunch. I know it’s unfair to name only some of those from whom I’ve learned so much and derived so much. but life IS unfair, so to John E. Agn Stoic, Cecelia, Andrea, Erin Manning, the stupid Chris, Turmarion, TTT, Charles Cosimano, hlvanburen, Roland de, Margaret E, Celticdragoncritter/chick, Franklin Evans (sir!), and Indy (perhaps the most rational of all), my thanks and good wishes. And believe me, I know that list only scratches the surface and probably leans more toward the liberal side of our assemblage (i tend to more easily recall those who often find myself agreeing with), so to everyone else here, from BobN to Lord Karth to StariMomak, I wasn’t intentionally trying to omit anyone. God bless you, or may the chance events of the godless universe favor you, as applicable.
Rod, my greatest thanks go out to you. I disagree with your viewpoint much of the time, and because I post far more often when I disagree than when I agree you may think I disagree ALL the time. ;-) But I have the utmost respect for the way you’ve let the discussion proceed with very little interference or censorship. I found a level of mutual respect among political and social opposites here that seems exceedingly rare nowadays. What made it all the more remarkable is that people here could be civil and intelligent and argue vigorously and yet almost NEVER be bland and boring. (Well, okay, there WAS the Miley Cyrus thread where all those kids dropped in, but that was an exception.) I don’t think the new blog can possibly retain these qualities, but I’ll hope to be pleasantly proven wrong.
You have done a tremendous job here, Rod. You consistently found topics worth serious examination and you attracted a readership of exceptional debaters, thinkers and writers who moved the discussion forward instead of indulging in the usual partisan sniping. At the same time, you have shared large parts of your personal life and enriched us as a result.
I could go on and on, but I’ll stop myself here. I know that lately I’ve been thinking back on all those times when I missed a chance to say goodbye, or to let someone know how much they’ve mattered in my life before they moved on. So let me end this by saying that I wish you continued success and you and yours will continue to be in my prayers. Onward!
P.S. Don’t forget to try Lolita sometime, Rod. It really is a nice hole-in-the-wall restaurant. Plus it’s BYOB, so you can take along any wine you want.

Elizabeth M

posted July 21, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Hello,
I just wanted to add my voice to those thanking you for your blog. I’ve read many blogs over the past few years but have given up reading all but one – yours.
All the best,
Elizabeth M.
New Orleans

hlvanburen

posted July 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I’m looking forward to the kickoff of the new blog. While I will miss the community that has grown up here (in spite of being a relative late comer to it myself), I look forward to the new direction that your blogging will take in the future.
Thank you, Mr. Dreher, for hosting this community. Good luck as you transition to the new blog. I will definitely check it out once you start there.

Irena

posted July 21, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Honestly, I’m a little emotional now that the end is nigh.
It’s been a fascinating ride. Thanks for the awesome blog, Rod.
I’ll see you at your new digs!
Captcha: and emeritus

Jasper

posted July 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Rod,
As someone who has posted infrequently but visited daily, I wish to thank you for your efforts re this blog and its predecessor. And thank you for Crunchy Cons, a book that warranted more of a following than it generated. I will follow you to your new place on the web. I hope that your bête noires on this site follow you as well. The daily dose of exasperation that they provide me is one reason that I kept visiting.
Jasper

MH

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I’ve enjoyed both iterations of Rod’s blog as well, particularly because most of the people don’t think like me. It is good to have your viewpoint challenged because you’ll learn something along the way. It is also the reason I come to Beliefnet so odds are I will be coming back to this site as frequently.
I intend to migrate to the new diggs. But I’ll say so long to Turmarion, John E.-Agn Stoic, Hector, rr, sigilaris, Franklin, and MargretE. I haven’t seen Thomas R since the first of this year, but so long to him too.

Appalachian Prof

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I will miss this blog, which is the only one I really read with regularity. Once I gave you up for Lent! Will also miss many of the regulars. I have learned a lot, especially from Franklin Evans, Erin Manning, Turmarion, Hector, Sigaliris and Gerard Nadal. I will continue to pray for your sister. God bless you.
Captcha: 232 earplug

Franklin Evans

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:24 pm

How to participate in a civil, online discussion using Mad Fedor’s* Path to Civility In Three Agonizingly Difficult Lessons!!11one … ahem, sorry. Maybe not agonizingly:
1) When in doubt, reread the terms of service/rules of conduct (or whatever the local form of partial censorship might be), and look for the blog author’s personal take/personal ground rules on same. Then force yourself to edit your post to stay in compliance with those rules.
2) Passion is good. Passion helps us remember what life feels like. Before writing a passionate post, walk away for at least five minutes. It may not improve your delivery or phrasing, but it might help you see major faux pas before you click on “submit”.
3) Actually, this one is difficult, and is something that despite my reputation for civility still manages to elude my grasp: Other people have feelings, and acknowledging them (sincerely, honestly) costs you nothing and creates common ground.
There you have it. For those not following Rod to his new home, and who don’t already know about my own eloquent (ahem) blog writing, come visit me and a long list of fellow authors at Alexandria (some of whom you will recognize by name, I promise!), shown in the link above.
* That’s me, btw. Mad Fedor, High Clown of Momus. ;-) My public email address is (ahem) madfedor(at)yahoo(dot)com. Don’t be shy, say “hey” if you are so inclined.

MH

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm

PS Eggs Benedict Option in 2012!

Matushka Anna

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Thanks, Rod. It’s been great. I definitely plan on following you and I hope many others here do the same. I’ve actually made a few blogger friends on my own blog thanks to meet-ups in the comboxes.
God bless.

ratiocination

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:36 pm

You can bet I’ll be over at the new blog…I join my voice to all the others who have said that this is the only one they follow…that’s worth following…
Keep up the good work and see you at BQO!

Jon

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I am traveling over the weekend– going to Michigan for my step-sister’s birthday, and we’re going north to Charlevoix, so I may not reappear in the new digs for a few days. But I’ll be along eventually.
Thanks, Rod, and thanks to one and all, until we regroup.

ratiocination

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Keep up the good work and see you at BQO!

Indy

posted July 21, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Spambalaya, much appreciated. I won’t name any names simply because I’m a relative newcomer. I only discovered Crunchy Con (which morped in January into the Rod Dreher blog) about a year ago. I soon recognized that not only did Rod write about interesting topics in a way I enjoyed and which made me think, he also differed from most other bloggers. Why? Because he sometimes displayed uncommon courage, grace and humility in admitting at times that he had changed his mind. How often do you see that in a blogger? Almost never. And then there was the commentariat. What an interesting, lively and largely very articulate group, most of whose thoughts were well worth pondering. So different from the boards where people mostly called each other names and tried to one up each other.
Most importantly, I learned something each time I looked in on the blog. Not just about peoples’ professional expertise and different fields of specialty, from Rod, from each and every poster. I also learned something about what is under the hood for people who hold the religious, political, social and economic views they hold. How uncommon that is, to be able to read, engage, and try to come to understand why people are the way they are, even when they so totally are unlike oneself in ideology, principles or faith. For someone such as I, who comes from a traditional Protestant tradition where it is God and I and my Bible, my pastor, and my fellow congregants in simple worship, it was fascinating to learn more about theology and how others worship. (Even if I did get cranky in the thread about Orthodox worshippers standing throughout a service–my fault for misjudging the commenters on that one and plunging in with an ill considered comment, ha!) And some of the political stuff really was eye opening and valuable for me in terms of what is under the hood for different people, too.
I wish I could spend the time at the new blog but initially at least, I can’t. Once things settle down with the demands on time (and other obligations) that are starting to surround me now, I might join you all, who knows. At any rate, Rod and all who made up this community have my thanks. And hey Rod, I’ve got an evening comment hung up in moderation on the Sherrod thread, it had to happen just one more time, ha!

TinaG

posted July 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Rod- Thank you for presenting the very best in what a blog should be – frank opinions tempered with knowledge and thoughtfulness. As everyone has commented, I have come away from this blog with other sides to consider and a more balanced view of things.
But most importantly, thank you for helping me come to a sense of personal/political identity. For years, especially since my own conversion to the Orthodox faith, I didn’t know what to call myself. A tree hugging conservative? A pro-life liberal? I can now tell people exactly what I am – a crunchy conservative.

MH

posted July 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm

So is there any other blog on Beliefnet worth reading? Are people going to stick around on this site as well, or vanish?

Karl G

posted July 21, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Congratulations on this transition (there’s no reason to say good bye when you’re just moving around the corner (a convenient feature of the internet, that)) I’ll be looking forward to seeing you in your new digs, but also wanted to leave a note of appreciation and support here. This world would be in a far better place if more people from all perspectives shared your attitude on civil and productive discussion.

sigaliris

posted July 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I’m tempted to stay up till midnight and close the place down with a shot of Jack. (I know a fine wine scoured from the back shelves of some godforsaken Pennsylvania wine reformatory would be more appropriate, but I don’t trust my ability to meet Rod’s oenological standards. Stargazers’ Solar Chardonnay probably wouldn’t cut it.)
But I might miss the window, so I’ll make my adieus now. I’m also tempted to say “I know less than half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve”–but I have no intention of vanishing, in a puff of smoke or otherwise. I’ll probably turn up in the new place, like that puzzling mateless sock that appears in the laundry basket as if by magic, no matter how many times you think you’ve thrown it out!
My fond regards and best wishes to all who mentioned my name–I’d send the shout out backatcha, but I don’t want to leave anyone out and make them feel bad. So I’ll blow you a kiss and if you want it, catch it! It’s for you! (Seid umschlungen, Millionen! Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt!) All of you have made me laugh and taught me something, and for that I am grateful. ; )
Captcha’s final word: of trouper!

Peterk

posted July 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm

see you on the other side!
i’ve followed you this long might as well keep on the journey. look forward to the new blog

sj

posted July 21, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I started reading Crunchy Con soon after it emerged out of the Corner. I can’t remember when it became the blog I check most frequently during the day but sometime during the last two to three years. It has been blessed with a much more balanced and eclectic group of commenters than any other I follow and Rod gets a lot of credit for tolerating commenters with views very different from his own who don’t hesitate to let him know it.

Another blog to enjoy!!!

posted 3:25:02pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Mommy explains her plastic surgery

posted 10:00:56pm Jul. 21, 2010 | read full post »

Why I became Orthodox

posted 9:46:58pm Jul. 21, 2010 | read full post »

Modern Calvinists
Wow, they don't make Presbyterians like they used to!

posted 8:47:01pm Jul. 21, 2010 | read full post »

'Rape by deception'? Huh?

posted 7:51:28pm Jul. 21, 2010 | read full post »