Rod Dreher

Rod Dreher

Purse thief gets his just deserts

posted by Rod Dreher

Now this is one mob I can get behind:H/T: Jonah Goldberg

Lord Karth

posted June 18, 2010 at 12:36 am

The thief tried a stunt like that in broad daylight in a crowded alleyway ? Stupidity like that is usually a capital offense.
That was a merciful bunch that caught up with said thief; shame on them.
Your servant,
Lord Karth

Scott Lahti

posted June 18, 2010 at 2:22 am

Leave it to Jonah, master of agitprop at The Corner, to close his original post behind the link with a typically gratuitous bit of right-wing victimology – Nordlinger, K-Lo and Levin must have been on break. I suspect he sleeps with one eye open, lest a smiling yellow ‘skeeter with a Führer ‘stache slip through his malaria tent and make him itch even more than “normal” to play Pee-Wee Herman to the “liberal” “fascists” of the world: He knows they are, but what is he? Note to self: resist temptation to click Corner links, though very Hell itself blaze over.

Cultural conservative?

posted June 18, 2010 at 3:05 am

As Seymour Skinner once said: “There’s no justice like angry mob justice”.

Matushka Anna

posted June 18, 2010 at 9:33 am

People do that sort of thing in broad daylight all the time in this country. Bystanders tend not to interfere or even notice. And I’m not just talking about NY; this happened in Birmingham where I lived. I wish we had that kind of civic-mindedness…

Aaron

posted June 18, 2010 at 11:46 am

Holy Smokes!!! I would’ve tossed the purse and ran after seeing an angry mod of people chasing me with sticks.
Aaron

Baba

posted June 18, 2010 at 11:51 am

Did the woman get her purse back, I wonder? Did the thief survive?

Seth Chalmer

posted June 18, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Rod, I sympathize with your applause for this particular mob’s formation, and I too am gratified to see so many people perform their civic duty to stand up for what is right. So this mob’s intentions are great. But I think watching the video all the way through actually demonstrates some of the dangers of mobs which leads you normally to take the position (a position with which I heartily agree) that mobs are terribly pernicious.
By the end of the video, multiple clumps of people are swarming around, and blows are being struck (including with large objects) in more than one of these clumps. At one point earlier than this, there is a clear circle of civic-minded citizens surrounding the thief holding the purse, but this soon degenerates into the multiple clumps of people, with fights in more than one of them. And if there are multiple fights happening here, I can’t help but conclude that some latecomers to the mob don’t know who the thief is, and/or are lashing out at people who may have accidentally hit them.
This illustrates precisely what is wrong with mobs — even the very best of them get out of control.

BobSF

posted June 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Call me skeptical. This incident drew an awful lot of people from what looks like a very busy and noisy area. Perhaps the victim screamed REALLY LOUDLY.
Anyway, let’s go with the idea that it wasn’t staged somehow. Did anyone else notice what happened to the civic-minded chap who tried to move the perp’s motorcycle away from him after he crashed into the truck? One assumes he was trying to remove a means of escape. Unfortunately, some in the crowd assumed he was the perp and proceeded to beat the **** out of him, too.
Buy, hey, it’s all in the interests of justice. Pass the popcorn!

Andi

posted June 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Do you know where this took place?
In Kampala Uganda, where my husband has spent a significant amount of time, this type of mob justice is the norm. It’s not uncommon for thieves to have burning tires put over their heads or be beaten to death. It’s quite a contrast with our culture. It’s also one of the safer areas of Africa.

kenneth

posted June 18, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I figured out a solution to the purse theft problem. Plant purses in easy sight. Inside is a mercury switch, a 45-second timer, a blasting cap and a small block of RDX. There IS an app for that…!

CJ

posted June 19, 2010 at 11:49 am

Civic-mindedness isn’t completely dead, Matushka. My uncle was shot chasing a purse-snatcher (he survived).
Uganda is also a main outpost of Orthodoxy in sub-Saharan Africa. Between that and the mob justice, it sounds like just the place for Our Working Boy.

c3

posted June 19, 2010 at 4:59 pm

While one can have sympathy with the victim and a desire for justice, vigilantism is not to be applauded. This reminds me of another story regarding street justice