Rod Dreher

Rod Dreher

Roger Staubach is old. Real old.

posted by Rod Dreher

‘memba him?
young staubach.jpg
Look below the jump to see what he’s looking like today. Holy Cow(boys)! He could stand in for Uncle Jesse on Dukes of Hazzard. Then again, when I get to be his age (68), I plan to let myself go to seed in the same hirsute way. Maybe people will think I’m a starets. Like Uncle Jesse!

staubach.jpg
Thanks Tim Rogers!
UPDATE: I’m sorry this is not clear … this is a screw-up by the local TV station, which identified some haggard elderly man as Roger Staubach. Still, I am impressed by the haggard elderly man’s haggardness, and only hope that I will look like that one day, and will spend my free time drinking whisky and fighting Balrogs.

Your Name

posted April 12, 2010 at 4:53 pm

He reminds me of Saddam Hussein when he was captured. Look at the eyes and eyebrows.

TT

posted April 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm

No way! That can’t be him!

CaboTennisDude

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Maybe he wants to be a stand-in double for the bad-ass Mike Franks character in NCIS.
I like it!

Cecelia

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm

wow can’t believe it – Staubach was a hero before he ever even got to the Cowboys – took Navy to the Cotton Bowl (?), served in Nam, no scandal associated with him. Real straight arrow guy – but now – he has long hair!!! Hard to believe that is him – and he looks much older than 68.
I had a nun in grammar school who thought he was heroic – he said the rosary every day – which to her coming from a football player – made him seem like a good role model.

Brett R.

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:05 pm

What would Hank Hill think of his hero now? I remember in one episode of KOTH, Hank’s barber offered him a choice of haircuts, the “Staubach” or the “Rookie Staubach”. Hank chose the former.

SteveM

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:06 pm

That’s not Roger. Different hairline. Straight hair, not wavy. And Roger would never be that unkempt. See this photo:

Greg Hill

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:06 pm

That’s not Roger Staubach. I just pulled some pictures of Roger when he spoke at 2009 Pro Football Hall of Fame, and he looks great.

thomas tucker

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Another example of reliable reporting.
Not.

Your Name

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:17 pm

To An Athlete Dying Young
The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.
To-day, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.
Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.
Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers
After earth has stopped the ears:
Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.
So set, before its echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.
And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl’s.

lancelot lamar

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Uh, that’s not Roger. He threw out the first pitch for the Ranger’s last week and he looked great. (It was a strike. Even Nolan Ryan was impressed.)

dl

posted April 12, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Not Roger.

the stupid Chris

posted April 12, 2010 at 6:15 pm

We used to call that a Chyron malfunction.

David J. White

posted April 12, 2010 at 6:24 pm

It’s worth adding that “To an Athlete Dying Young” is by the British poet — and classicist (editor of Juvenal, Lucan, and Manilius) — A.E. Housman.

Rod Dreher

posted April 12, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Whuss a chyron?
(hee hee hee)

Scott Lahti

posted April 12, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Maybe people will think I’m a starets.Like Uncle Jesse!
Well, if you’re really going for the whole Orthodox shtick, better that you seek your disciple not in Gomer Pyle’s rocky-mountainous jug-band namesake Denver, patriarch though the latter’s character was, back in Mayberry days, of the Darling clan, but rather
in an Uncle Jesse for a newer generation, Jesse Katsopolis, or his SAGging alter ego John Stamos.*
*Not to be confused with his Full House co-star and fraternal Guildsman Bob SAGit
With such echt-Hellenic patronyms, his ego – unlike that of that guy from America’s “Sister Golden Hair” – really is “ready for the altar”, and all too, too easy to find, i.e., everywhere you look, everywhere you look…

Chuck Bloom

posted April 12, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Rod,
Someone has fooled ya! Seriously, that is NOT Roger Staubach. Misidentified by Channel 11 (which is NOT unusual and you should KNOW that!).
BTW, I guess you can take a small tip of the hat for your old employer garnering a Pulitzer for editorial writing (one of your old jobs).

Rod Dreher

posted April 12, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I know, Chuck — this was a joke.

Fr Mark in Baton Rouge

posted April 12, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Anybody else remember the Superbowl XII showdown between “Bronco Mania” and “Cowboy Cool,” the “Orange Crush” and “Doomsday” defense comparison, and Tom Landry’s fedoras?
The NFL was so much more interesting back in the late ’70s…

Sharon Astyk

posted April 13, 2010 at 8:09 am

Sorry Rod, you won’t be quite able to pull that one off – not without a lot of whiskey. I know this because my minor superpower is to be able to tell what people will look like when they get old. This is mostly useless, but is extremely helpful when choosing a husband – I figure we’re going to be young a lot shorter a time than we’re going to be old together, so I might as well base my decisions on how hot a codger they will be.
Sharon

naruto kakashi

posted December 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm

While Giuliana celebrated she may perhaps undergo reconstructive surgery almost straight away bearing
in mind the mastectomies, she alleged the posing changes participating in her brute outward show would
be situated insignificant if it preordained getting healthy again.
cosmetic surgery baton rouge