Rod Dreher

Rod Dreher

Get ready for Ruthie Leming Day

posted by Rod Dreher

Regular readers know that my sister Ruthie Leming is battling stage four lung cancer, and that St. Francisville, our Louisiana hometown, has been rallying strongly to her side, and to the side of her family. Well, on Saturday April 10, there will be a Ruthie Leming Day fundraising concert there. It will be held at the new 4-H barn at the West Felicians Sports Park, just north of town. (Directions to the park here). Our friend and lifelong neighbor David Morgan, a country singer, will be playing with his band. Tickets are $15 for adults, with kids aged 12 and under free. The time is from 6pm till 11pm. I’m told that concertgoers are asked to bring folding chairs if they like, but to leave ice chests and food at home. Refreshments will be sold inside the venue, with all proceeds from concessions and ticket sales going to help Ruthie pay her medical bills. Mark your calendars!
So many of you tell me, via e-mail and in person, how moved you have been by Ruthie’s amazing grace through this trial. If you live in the Baton Rouge area, please think about coming out that evening to meet Ruthie and her family, and to share in this spectacular outpouring of compassion from the community.
Below is a photo I took of Ruthie and her daughter Claire, visiting her mother in the hospital the day after the cancer diagnosis. Claire turned 11 on Thursday. It was a good day.
ruthie and claire.jpg

John E. - Agn Stoic

posted March 27, 2010 at 10:18 am

Now that is a really nice example of community.
Imagine being really loved like that in your community – you don’t get that if you move around the country every few year changing jobs – it takes having roots.

Sheree

posted March 27, 2010 at 10:25 am

Still praying for your sister and her family. It’s great to hear of there are still places where community support is strong.
I know that Ruthie Leming Day will bring blessings on all involved.

kenneth

posted March 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm

For the bazillion of us who don’t live in the area but want to help, post a link or something!

Julana

posted March 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm

God be with them.

Erin Manning

posted March 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

Rod, it’s beautiful to see a community rally around someone like this.
That said, there are different kinds of community–and online is one of them. I agree with Kenneth: is there any possibility that someone involved in the fundraising concert would consider setting up a PayPal account or something like that, so that some of us who would love to be able to be physically present in St. Francisville on April 10 could donate at least the price we’d pay for tickets in person?

Fr. J

posted March 28, 2010 at 10:54 pm

What a wonderful expression of love from the community. It’s hard to imagine that happening in most of the places I’ve lived.

Jon

posted March 29, 2010 at 6:32 am

Let me second Erin’s suggestion. Much as I would love to visit Louisiana again, that’s not going to happen (I will be just back from spending Easter in Michigan and in the last month I’ve junketed to Florida and Nashville), but I too would like to contribute.

Emily

posted March 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Now go out to the street corners and invite everyone you see.
Matthew 22:7
A third vote for online donations. I’d like to be able to send someone who could go in my place.