Rod Dreher

Rod Dreher

HELLSTORM 2010 open thread!

posted by Rod Dreher

I am willing to open this forum up for liveblogging Snowmageddon. The first sprinkling of the white stuff has just begun to fall here in Philadelphia. It’s soft and beautiful — but that’s clearly what this Mephistophelian precipitation wants us to think. I have already put away two bowls of shrimp etouffee and a tall glass of the fantastically bitter and hoppy locally brewed Sly Fox IPA. Diana Krall is on the music box. Ready, I am, to meet my Maker, because I am reliably informed by the news media that no one will get out of this one alive. I invite you to share your last thoughts as the End of Days arrives. UPDATE: Run for your lives, ye miserable crawlin’ worms! Reader mm sends us a clip of the Weatherman of the Snowpocalypse! Watch:UPDATE.2: Uh, wow, that’s a lot of freaking snow. Holy cow. Here’s a summary of the reactions around here this morning:Dad: Uh, wow, that’s a lot of freaking snow. Did I get enough bread yesterday? I don’t think I got enough bread yesterday. Should I have this piece of toast? I forgot to buy a snow shovel! Idiot! Oh damn damn damn damn damn, the dog needs walking, and the snow is almost over his head. Woe!Kids: YAY! Yay yay yay yay yay yay YAY! Can we go out now? Can we please go out? Can we please please please please please, can we, can we…”Dog: Well, I don’t know what the dog is thinking, but when I took him out for his morning constitutional, he was freaked out by the snow, which really is almost over his head, and didn’t produce. I know what he’s probably thinking. I know what he’d better not be thinking.Dad (follow-up): Hell, now I have to worry about where I step around the apartment this morning.

AnotherBeliever

posted February 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Snowmageddon. Snowpocalypse. You crack me up. Just keep drinking, everyone knows that’s the only sane way to face the End of Time. Lots of booze and ammunition. It’s the American way. ;)

SteveB

posted February 5, 2010 at 7:19 pm

You realize those of us from New England are laughing at you. =)
Hope you have some good sledding hills nearby!

AnotherBeliever

posted February 5, 2010 at 7:20 pm

While you are fending off zombie snowmen, I’ll be attempting to cook artichokes for the first time. I’ve had them in restaurants in California, but have never tackled them myself. Have two of the large strange looking things waiting for me in the fridge. They look alien and vaguely ominous. But I’ll show them who’s boss…

Richao

posted February 5, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I was snookered into staying home today, frightened by the thought of having to drive home during the apocalypse. But the wimpy, risk-adverse bureaucrats were worse: They cancelled school last night. Snow starts falling around 10:00 this morning and there still ain’t much to show for all the drama. Color me disappointed, though I do have to say that working from home with a beer-induced buzz sitting in front of the hearth: Well, there are worse things. Waking up to 20 inches of snow in the morning would be ideal, though.

Sheree

posted February 5, 2010 at 7:44 pm

We had a snowmageddon scheduled for mid-Jan here in the deep South. Oklahoma did get maxed out but we got nothing. Predictions: Impassable roads. Actual: Nada. Nothing. A few sleet pellets mixed with snowflakes fell for five minutes in two intervals.
Everything was cancelled for 2 days, 18 hours or more in advance. Then–nothing. Typical Alabama. Weather people cry wolf, over-reaction. Nothing happens. Businesses lose productivity. Then, when something really happens, it’s never predicted.
Have fun–whether you get 12 feet 12 inches or nada.

mm

posted February 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Make sure to get 42 loaves of bread and 120 gallons of milk.
That’s the way we do it in The South.

prufrockn

posted February 5, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Rod, it’s interesting to read your posts now that we are in the same weather system — I live in Maryland a few miles from DC — and you are privy to the local happenings. I’m afraid to read the Washington Post weather updates because each one gets more cataclysmic (though “Snowmageddon” seems apropos with snowfall of 3 inches/hour).

AnotherBeliever

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:03 pm

LOL we used to get more than three inches an hour up at Fort Drum, NY. But everyone with any common sense knows that most of Upstate New York, much like the entire country of Kuwait, is not actually inhabitable. At least not unless you are nomadic and you pass through to hunt during the less nasty season. ;)
“Civilization” in both areas is a temporary thing. It can’t last…
The artichokes LOOK done?? Errmmm…

MH

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Good grief get that weatherman some medication.
New Englanders have seen some really bad snow storms and a forecast of a fourteen inches of snow doesn’t phase us. Yet every time a big storm comes the news media goes into a major panic which always follows the same pattern:
First they sound the alarm to buy staples to avoid a Donner pass scenario. At this point the roads become clogged with people buying milk and eggs at the first snowflake.
Second, they proclaim no one should venture out into the white abyss or be lost to the world of the living.
Third, they go 24×7 with their weather team in Goretex parkas strategically placed out in the storm, saying “This is news 7 weather and it’s really coming down outside.” The irony of this last one always kills me. They are outside telling me not to go outside, and I can look out my window easier then turning on a TV.
Things enter the mop up phase where they have the obligatory shots of people digging their cars out, slipping and sliding as they drive around, they recap the snow fall totals, and finally do something useful and announce school closings.

me

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:27 pm

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! What is wrong with that weatherman?

Rod Dreher

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I do believe this weatherman is making fun of weatherman freak-outs.

Jon

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:43 pm

About four inches here in Baltimore, not far from Camden Yards. Heavy and wet. It’s still above feeezing so it’s dripping off the roof and deck. I’m dealing with a sinus headache, so went out and sat in the hot tub (it’s on a covered patio) for a while watching it come down.
My guess we will miss the forecast accumulation because too much of it melted off in the early part of the storm. But still lots more to come.

Pat

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Here’s some music for your day at home – “Working Joe,” Stan Rogers’ take on winter afternoons off.

Chuck Bloom

posted February 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Don’t you now miss Pete Delkus?????????

Bugg

posted February 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I’ve noticed that as soon as significant snow is forecast, old folks head down to the megamart and clean them out of eggs, milk and bread, like they’ll be snowed in for months like Cathy Bates in “Misery” or Omar Sharif in “Doctor Zhivago”. Urban legend is there is apparently a law requiring old people to make French toast when it snows.

Cecelia

posted February 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm

it hasn’t even started here yet – but the weatherman says we are at the edge of the storm and will only get bout 6 inches. We haven’t had one of those nor’easters that will drop three feet of snow in a long time -
I can’t believe all this fuss over 18 inches.

Sheree

posted February 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm

weatherman doing Glenn Beck.

Karl G

posted February 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm

sj

posted February 6, 2010 at 12:31 am

In Hampden in North Baltimore (3-4 miles north of Jon above), it is snowing steadily. There was a little snow this morning, then it stopped until 2 or so. Boss and I debated when to close — left to my own devices I would have closed no earlier than 4, as there wasn’t any sticking snow until then — but he was working from our Annapolis location, and lives on the Shore, so he went with 3pm. The early evening snow was heavy and wet. I smoked a long cigar and then went out and shoveled my sidewalk around 10. This being a rowhouse community, it took about five minutes for me to do my walk and those of my immediate neighbors. I have learned over the years that doing the shoveling as the storm develops makes the final clean-up a lot easier. After shoveling, I made a late dinner and watched classic Seinfeld episodes on DVD. Thinking of watching Wagner operas on DVD tomorrow.

sj

posted February 6, 2010 at 12:32 am

A flash of lightning and thunder just as I posted the last comment.

dubs

posted February 6, 2010 at 3:14 am

While you’re actually going to get hit hard, the humor in this post brought a smile to my face, Rod.
It reminded me of when I moved to Portland, OR after growing up in Chicago, IL and spending my first winter there. There was a time during that winter when we were going to get snow (not an overly frequent occurrence there) and the news broadcasts were leading with “Winter Blast 2003″ or something. Everyone was going nuts. They shut the schools, they shut city offices…and then I woke up and drove to work in an inch of snow that had the rest of the city shut down.

Your Name

posted February 6, 2010 at 8:58 am

We have about a foot+ here at the keystone of PA-MD-DE and it’s blowing like crazy.
Hope you started the morning off with a good Pennsylvania breakfast: fried scrapple and toasted potato bread. Or maybe pork roll?
Stay warm!

Caroline Nina in DC

posted February 6, 2010 at 9:03 am

Well, here right on the DC line in crunchy Cheverly, MD, we are up to around 20 inches and it’s still coming down heavily. Some neighbors of ours have lost power and thanks to Facebook are now getting a firewood delivery from another neighbor. We plan to bake bread, roast meat, and read Treasure Island!
So the freak out in this case seems pretty justified!

Your Name

posted February 6, 2010 at 9:03 am

Oh, and a PS: if you think the weathermen are bad here, try the Baltimore stations. I worked in Bawlmer for years, and if there is so much as a flurry in the forecast, folks stock up on bungwad as if they’re going to be under seige. Ditto for milk etc. I love that city, but snow does something to their psyches down there.

Liam

posted February 6, 2010 at 9:12 am

The milk-bread-eggs behavior got locked into a few generations of people in the Northeast at the time of the Blizzard of 78 (which, btw, followed an ice storm, big snow storm, and big melt/flood in the preceding few weeks – it was hard to imagine there was something *worse* on the way, so many people did not overprepare), and a lot of people had power out for many many days, making many people hardwired to procure in advance for all future snowstorms. (Then there was Bucky Dent a half year later, the other disaster of ’78).

Jon

posted February 6, 2010 at 9:18 am

Good morning all,
Two feet out in the backyard.
Our calico, Drizzit, who loves to go out in the yard even in winter, wanted out. Finally I opened the door. She pranced out, went to the edge of the patio where the snowpack starts and glared at it, as if she could will it away. Then she looked at me expecteing me to do the trick (hey, I can make it light or dark, warm or cool inside). Finally she turned about and daintily came back inside with an air of disdain as if to say “Oh well, I didn’t really want to go out.”
SJ: yes, the benefits of rowhouse living. Just twelve feet of sidewalk out front to clear. We however have a garage at the back of the property and a short driveway to the street behind us (we have the B&O Museum more or less behind us). Uh, did I say short? I learned last snowstorm just how long ten feet can be.

GingerMan

posted February 6, 2010 at 10:30 am

FYI – Decent hill for sledding at this park, plus dogs allowed. Not sure where you are, but this is just a little south of Conshohocken (in Radnor).

TProff

posted February 6, 2010 at 10:35 am

It’s a nice 40F here in Dallas – great day for a run :D Stay warm and safe up there!

Charles Cosimano

posted February 6, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I’m amazed that some idiot did not try to order the evacuation of the East Coast.
This reminds of one time some years ago in Chicago. One of the tv stations had imported some news airhead from California and there was a little snow coming, maybe four inches. She was absolutely hysterical at the thought and the other anchor literally laughed at her on the air and said, “This is Chicago. We get snow every winter.”
Just remember to have the family pit bulls, or mother-in-law (whichever is worse) guard the parking space you just shoveled.

Anna

posted February 6, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Pshaw! This is our third “significant” snow fall in SW VA. This puts us past Cleveland, Detroit…and nearing normal Buffalo standards.

Liam

posted February 6, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Cosimano
In Boston, guarding shoveled spaces is not a job of a person. It’s handled by cones, chairs, and discarded porcelain toilets in particular; and a sharp object as backup in case that fails…. A few years ago, the city of Boston tried to enforce laws against such practices (because idiots tried to maintain the stunt for the rest of the winter, regardless of reasonable need), but backed down and decline to enforce for the first few days after a storm.
Which reminds me, Rod: for the first few days after a storm, don’t park in a residential street spot you did not shovel yourself (assuming the street was not a snow emergency street that was cleared of cars and plowed curb to curb). Also, it’s considered neighborly to shovel/salt(do not salt jointed masonry, btw)/sand the walks and whatnot of elderly or less-abled neighbors, since young children these days are not as prone as those of past generations to do this (for money or because their parents order them to do so because it’s simply the right thing to do; too many parents don’t appear to have bought into the concept of slave labor that my parents’ generation took for granted). (Also, if you ever hire a snow clearing service, make sure they do not mound snow on someone else’s property.) This is what courtesy looks like up here in New England, at least; I see it all the time – it matters more than smiles and verbose greetings.

Liam

posted February 6, 2010 at 1:31 pm

And, just for comparative reference:

The Mighty Favog

posted February 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm

1) You need a snow shovel.
2) You need snow boots.
3)This is how we handle the dogs out here on the Plains when snowpocalypse come:

Jon

posted February 6, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Liam,
After our December snowstorm someone snow-blew the sidewalk in front of my church, and then also cleared out several parking places (we have on-steeet parking only). This wasn’t one of our parishoners. And more surprisingly no one in the neighborhood parked in those spaces on Sunday morning.

sj

posted February 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I shoveled my walk and those of my immediately adjacent neighbors again at noon. Unfortunately, my waterproof gloves were in my car, which was parked about thirty feet down the street. I could only get the car doors open about six inches, not enough to get to the gloves. Then I couldn’t close the doors, because snow had slipped between the frame and the door when I tried to open them. So I had to shovel just to get to the gloves. The snow piled between the street and the sidewalk is high enough that the best way to cross it was to roll over, making sure not to lose my keys in the process. Actual shoveling of the walk took less than five minutes, thanks to the shoveling I did last night. The snow seems drier than it did last night, so it was lighter to shovel. It is still falling right now.
I have a patty of ground bison meat defrosting in the fridge. When it thaws out, I plan to fire up the charcoal grill on my back porch. I just wish I had some Johnsonville brats. I’m tempted to hike up to the Giant (about half a mile) to get some. I do have some snowshoes. On the other hand, I have a lot of DVDs.

sj

posted February 6, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Let’s see if I can clear out the italics.

Cecelia

posted February 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

snowpocalypse was a bust for us – woke up this morning expecting a day of snow fort making and sledding – but we barely had an inch. They had predicted 3-6 but seems the storm stalled and had nothing left for us. Ah well – they are predicting more snow for Tuesday so maybe we’ll get our chance then.
Anna said: nearing normal Buffalo standards.
LOL – Buffalo is another universe entirely when it comes to snow – I visited a cousin there in April – and they had so much snow her driveway was surrounded by walls of snow 6 feet high. In April mind you.

Ken

posted February 6, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Here in Charlottesville we’re holding our breath hoping we don’t lose power and miss the Super Bowl. Also, the high school kids at church were supposed to sell chili for the game tomorrow, but now services are canceled. So off I went this morning after shoveling two driveways, trudging to Food Lion for chips and salsa and ingredients for beans and rice.

sigaliris

posted February 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Yesterday, I was returning from a trip to Michigan to visit my parents, take them to doctors’ appointments, and work on their house. Thus, I was on the PA turnpike for six hours, from one to seven. Beat that for a snowpocalypse! It was especially fun when it got dark. Fortunately, the last time I went to Michigan, I did a 360 on ice on I-94, while on my way to the assisted care place. So this time, I had all-new tires. Also, on my way to MI this trip, my car broke down on the Ohio turnpike. I had to leave it in Fremont for repairs, and get my sister to pick me up. So, on my way home, there was no chance that the idle pulley would freeze up and snap my serpentine belt, because that already happened, and got fixed. Thus all things work together for my good, I guess. ; )

Therese Z

posted February 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Wusses.
In Chicago, we call that barbequin’ weather.
Even our dogs are used to it: they sigh and crab and go out and do their duty and then get the heck back to the door.

Alicia

posted February 7, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Today is Sunday and I went to a play near Gallery Place in DC. However, all above-ground metro stops are closed – if this stays the sqame tomorrow (Monday) I won’t be able to go to work. Woohoo!

Indy

posted February 8, 2010 at 8:56 am

So, Rod, how did you and your family do? How much snow did you get? If you have a moment to think about anything other than the Saints’ victory, great as that was, drop by and let us know.

hhyswisswatches

posted October 26, 2011 at 6:50 am

Today I wan to present a person to all of you around us, she is just around us all the time,so how much do you know about her? And is what I am going to describle as follows similar to what you thought in your mind ?is it match the real her ? Please concentrate on my description of her especially don’t miss the details ,and I believe it may help you have a deep and all-around knowledge of her ,you can guess it!She,a 20-year old girl coming from Jiangxi Ganzhou,with a light black and short hair , middle-sized among girls,she isn’t fat and thin ,what impressed me most is her smile face and it seems that there doesn’t exist such a moment she is unhappy ,not to mention she is angry with someone. Can you make it ?I have to say I can’t. nevertheless,it is impossible to say that she is a girl without sorrow and anxiety or she is satisfied with all what her friends said and did !I think the key lies in the ablity to control her mood and to tolerate and unsterdand others.She cares about others .When we got out together ,she can remember cleary who like to the special dish ,which song is his or her best song, she can remember your date of your birthday.She is willing to spare the time with others,so when you really want to someone to accompany with you to do sth ,she is the best choice .

シャネル 指輪

posted August 31, 2014 at 11:50 pm

初期の母が電話を受けた朝に、彼らは眠れぬ夜が、モンクレール 通販別れるないように私に助言した。

行う方法の場合がある場合、モンクレール ダウン メンズおじいちゃんは確かに、受け入れることができないだ?

私は良いのために悲しい私より私のことを、ugg彼らは怒って、何のschismsの親戚:たぶん、ugg 店舗親のための、決して悪いニュースを私を責めたが、私はいつも思うん。

アグオーストラリア

posted August 31, 2014 at 11:55 pm

“しかし、どのように私は行くと芳香言うか「私は自分自身に尋ねた。

“ああ、あなたはあなただけのプレーしたくないプレイしたくない、エアマックス狩り私はあなたを愛したい?Nannvzhiqingそれを馬鹿し、他の人があなたを強制することができますか?「もう私は言った。

「彼女は私が離れて滞在言うことができ、グッチ ネックレス メンズどのくらいの少し感情的な私に言った? “私は風が吹いて、川に対して、彼女の顔は、手のひらに深く埋もれ、落胆。

“感情は、プラダ リュックアリール、彼女の夫のための感情を数セントを数えることができない?豚の母があなたを愛していない?彼らが結婚するのだろうか?そのようなものは、商品のジャックを引っ張っていないあなたのような愚かな愚か者をもたらすでしょう感じていない、母豚を再生している

十分ではない?あなたがそのような人は他の人にだまされるべき人生に値する。エアマックス “別の私は大声を笑う。

」のような…のような、ええと、私はそれが本当にあまりにもEQ、他人を信頼することは比較的容易だった? “私は非常に痛いです。

アグ ムートン

posted September 12, 2014 at 8:34 pm

怒りはそれが、微妙に口紅赤い唇を塗られ、シャネル 時計次第に明確な、しっとり目になると、私は彼女の目を見た “ゆう陵を。アグ ムートン”

妹を認識公園に連れて行ってくれた後、ugg ブーツ私たちは彼女が少しずつ行くために私に言った後、シャネル コスメ私は彼女に言った、ベンチに座って、私の経験、