Rod Dreher

Hooray! A Walker Percy documentary

posted by Rod Dreher

Via First Things and Doug LeBlanc comes fantastic news! Watch:

About the filmmaker.

bill holston

posted January 7, 2010 at 9:20 am

Excellent news indeed. I wonder why none of his books every were made into films? I think Lancelot might be my favorite of his books, or maybe Second Coming. I’d find it hard to pick.

Frog Leg

posted January 7, 2010 at 9:33 am

Great news indeed. Should be very interesting.
You might want to take a second look at the post’s formatting, Rod.
Some of his books would probably adapt well to film. The Moviegoer in particular would be great. I don’t think the Second Coming would adapt to the screen well, even though it’s my favorite novel. I would stand in line the night before if they managed to adapt Lost in the Cosmos though. I think Charlie Kaufmann should direct it.

Dennis Larkin

posted January 7, 2010 at 10:11 am

Percy’s question from Lost in the Cosmos was priceless: “Why is Carl Sagan so lonely?” That is, why does Carl Sagan seek life on other planets?

Marian

posted January 7, 2010 at 11:38 am

Looks as if you haven’t got used to your new software?

Andy

posted January 7, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Wait a minute…didn’t you say in one of your old posts that you’re not a fan of Walker Percy? I remember reading that and being surprised, since I would have pegged you as a Percyphile. Have you recently acquired the taste?

Rod Dreher

posted January 7, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Zounds, that coding! I have no idea what happened — I posted embed coding as I always have done, but this is the first time it hasn’t worked. I’ve asked Bnet about it; we’ll see if we can fix.
Andy, I’m not a fan of Percy’s fiction, but I do like his non-fiction. I wish I liked his fiction; it’s the kind of thing I should like, anyway.

Mac S.

posted January 7, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I found Walker Percy by way of Shelby Foote and have been slowly reading books on him or by him since. I also prefer the essays to the novels. This documentary looks like it will be worth hunting down.

Andy

posted January 7, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Rod, if you’re up for giving the novels another try, I’d recommend starting with “Lancelot.” Short and tight, hits all the big themes without meandering into the weeds of “Christian Existentialism.” And culminates in a big hurricane!
My favorite Percy novel, though, is “Love int he Ruins”.