Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Reformed Chicks Blabbing

I’m still alive!

posted by Susan Johnson

Sorry about my absence from the blog, I lost my lap so I couldn’t use my laptop :-) Though, it’s a little more complicated than that. I didn’t have the energy to post. I still surfed the net but didn’t have the ability to push past the pain to write (even the little bit I do here :-) I’m feeling much better now because I got my lap back. It’s a sad fact of life for an ovarian cancer patient that their tumors flood the abdominal cavity with fluid. Last year my first hint that I had a medical issue was the abdominal fluid, it was a blessing then, letting my doctors know that there was something up and that I probably had cancer. Now, it’s a curse that is making my life miserable and making it hard to do anything, I can’t even stand up straight. Over the weekend it got so bad I couldn’t even put the dishes in the dishwasher without getting winded. So needless to say I’ve been pretty depressed.
But than this week my oncologist was able to drain 2.4 litters (which translates to five lbs — pretty good weight loss program) and I have another appointment for next week to see if they can drain off more. I felt such a relief when the first bottle filled up and I was able to breathe again. You guys have no idea what it feels like to drag around all that extra weight. It felt like when I was pregnant (the stretched skin and the pressure) but instead of the joy of life inside me, I’m carrying death.
So, does this mean that the chemo isn’t working? Not necessarily. It does mean that the tumor is advancing but it doesn’t mean that the chemo isn’t doing it’s job. I’m getting Topotecan weekly in low doses with a week off for my immune system to repair itself (3 weeks on, 1 week off), so I haven’t gotten enough for it to do too much. We really have to give it a couple months to see if it’s working. The CA125 number went up to 315, so that was a concern (I was really bummed about it at the time) but the oncologists (I’ve asked three in the practice) seem to think this isn’t a concern: CA125 numbers can fluctuate and aren’t always an accurate indicator of what’s going on. We won’t know for sure until we get the CT Scan in April.
My prayer has been that the Lord will heal me using the Topotecan. The chemo has only mild side effects, I don’t get the Neulasta shots (which made my life miserable last year), I don’t have to stay long in the chemo chair and my friends have been taking me so it’s been a fun outing to do Bible study and talk and then have lunch afterward. I can see many blessing for me and my friends from our time together, weird to say that over something so terrible but that’s the way of the Lord (Romans 8:28).
So, to sum it all up I’m waiting on the Lord to see the wonderful things he has in store for me:

Ephesians 3:14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, 16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith–that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

Les

posted February 17, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Michele,
Do know that I and many others will be holding you up in prayer for healing, strength and that you will be flooded with His grace in your time of need. Your family will also be in my prayers as they walk along this path with you.
I miss your regular posts, but I completely understand. God bless you!
Les

wthdove

posted February 17, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Michele… It is my prayer for you that God takes you into his loving care and grants you a healing miracle. I pray and stand in agreement with all who are praying for you, that you receive a complete healing from this cancer.
I have a friend who suffered for 5 years from cancer of the bladder. The Lord gave me a word and told me that she would be completly healed if she would strenghten her faith. It was a few months later when I was blessed enough to witness the power of God heal her. And 8 years later she is still cancer free.
God bless you and strengthen you as you go through your treatments. I am praying for a miracle. May our Lord surround you with his love, courage, comfort and strength.

Michele McGinty

posted February 18, 2010 at 8:47 am

Thanks, I’m going to try to post a little more when I’m feeling better to make up for my down days.

pagansister

posted February 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Hang in there, Michele! Postitive thoughts are headed your way.

MH

posted February 18, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling well.

Tom M.

posted February 18, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Michele, I am very honored to know you, if only through your blog.
There’s a Sunday School class this quarter at Tenth Pres. entitled “The Christian and the Media.” It’s good stuff; we’ve reviewed criticisms of the media by Marshall McLuhan, Neil Postman, and Jacques Ellul, among others. When asked “Do you blog?” I mentioned this your website, which is a blessed opportunity for me to communicate with you and others.
May God bless you and your family and heal you!

Karen Walker

posted February 18, 2010 at 11:52 pm

We at the Church of Satan in Newark are all praising the Lord that you are blogging again.

Doug

posted March 1, 2010 at 11:14 am

May God Bless You, Michele! I pray for your healing.

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Reformed Chicks Babbling. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 3:05:14pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

One Final Word
My dear friend Michele slipped into eternity on Wednesday, February 1.   She was a remarkable woman who left a legacy of faith, determination, and love. For three years she courageously battled the ovarian cancer that eventually robbed her of her life.  A few days before she died, one of her docto

posted 8:43:41pm Feb. 10, 2012 | read full post »

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated
My husband told me that there are rumors that I've died. I'm happy to report that I'm still very much alive. My cancer has gone to stage four but we are controlling it with chemo, the cancer numbers are currently in the normal range. I've stopped blogging to concentrate on my daughters and writing a

posted 7:07:55pm Aug. 23, 2010 | read full post »

An update and a prayer request
Several people have asked about Michele's condition, and have promised to pray for her. On her behalf, I thank you for that. I spoke with her a little while ago, and she asked that I come here and tell you what's going on, and to ask you to pray for her. She isn't able to post here herself right

posted 4:55:36pm Apr. 06, 2010 | read full post »

Rest in peace, Internet Monk.
A man known in the cyber world as The Internet Monk, has died. Michael Spencer lost his battle with cancer tonight. My prayers go out for his family and for all those who loved and will miss him. :(

posted 11:52:00pm Apr. 05, 2010 | read full post »