Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Biden’s Ash Wednesday mark puzzles clueless BBC Sky News presenters

posted by Susan Johnson

Very funny video of two talking heads on the BBC Sky News speculating why Biden has a mark on his forehead (they wonder if he got the mark in Vancouver :-). Wait for the punchline at the end:Update: Pretty clueless myself there, huh? I just noticed that it was Sky News when I showed the clip to my daughter.

Joel

posted February 18, 2010 at 10:22 am

Priceless!
Watch the first minute and then skip to the last 10 seconds

Watcher

posted February 18, 2010 at 11:04 am

SkyNews logo confuses clueless blogger.

Charles Cosimano

posted February 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

This is what happens when the VP is so busy he doesn’t have time to wash his face.

Moonshadow

posted February 18, 2010 at 1:59 pm

After bible study this morning, I slipped into a church to spend a few minutes in prayer for my sister-in-law and there was one other woman in there. She was generally quiet but seemed to be reading, the church bulletin, I suppose. It rustled like a newspaper.
Presently, she dialed her cell phone and, as it was lunchtime, I thought she might be ordering some food. Instead, she called the church office which was presumably right downstairs and asked when the midday Ash Wednesday service would begin. I could hear the church secretary tell her that today is Thursday and it was yesterday. I suppose Presidents’ Day had thrown her off. To her credit, she didn’t immediately leave the sanctuary but stayed a bit.
I just had to share that story … hopefully anonymously! :-) The season is not entirely without its own peculiar humor.

MH

posted February 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Minor nit. The logo in the upper left corner is Sky News, not the BBC. A co-worker explained that Sky News is known for having news anchors with rocks in their heads.
I live in a city that was fairly Catholic, but is no longer. So I didn’t see anyone with ashes on their forehead. My initial reaction is that England being a fairly secular country, it seemed possible that neither of them had ever seen ashes on someone’s forehead.
But her punchline at the end was priceless.

MrBuddwing

posted February 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm

MH: I respectfully disagree. Confusing Sky with the BBC is not a “minor nit.” If one is going to call out British news presenters for being “clueless,” you might as well get their employer right – lest you be called clueless yourself. (How would we react to a Brit who can’t tell the difference between CNN and Fox News Channel?)

Moonshadow

posted February 18, 2010 at 6:08 pm

But her punchline at the end was priceless.
Of course I’m cynical enough to believe it was all scripted.

Michele McGinty

posted February 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

MrBuddwing, it’s even worse than that, I was going by someone else’s title and didn’t notice the logo until I just showed it to my daughter. I admit I am pretty clueless but at least I’m not a reporter missing a world event just a logo in the upper corner of the video :-)

Michele McGinty

posted February 18, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Moonshadow, I feel bad for her.

MH

posted February 18, 2010 at 8:04 pm

MrBuddwing, perhaps. I figure running a blog invites enough negative feedback that I tend to keep my feedback low key. When I don’t I often go back, re-read my comments and later think they were too harsh.
Moonshadow, I never thought you were a cynic. I thought that was Charles’s turf.
PS this is the second post of this because the first seemed to go to the bit bucket.

Michele McGinty

posted February 18, 2010 at 8:08 pm

MH, I brought it on myself. I should know better, whenever I knock someone for doing something stupid, I do something stupid as well. I think it’s God’s way of humbling me :-)

Michele McGinty

posted February 18, 2010 at 8:25 pm

BTW, I’m not sure what the problem was with the comment, I had to approve it for it to be posted.

Ant C.

posted February 19, 2010 at 10:19 am

Reading the first reports of this incident, I thought it was just the female news reader that made a mistake but listening to them both, I realize that both of these British talking heads are idiots. Oh, well, that is the sorry state of British journalism these days.

Joan Sheridan

posted February 19, 2010 at 1:08 pm

The British woman lied she is not Catholic all English Catholics were killed in the 1500′s She is Anglican. They like to call themselves Catholic but they are not and they don’t get ashes (Too papist) A non-practicing Catholic might “forget” it was Ash Wednesday but once she saw them on VP Biden she would know what they were. He had them on last year. I think Obama asks him to do it. Obama likes fallen away Catholics

MReap

posted February 19, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Joan Sheridan, I hope you’re being sarcastic. There are indeed many, many Roman Catholics in England/UK. And those folks who are Anglican do also get ashes on Ash Wednesday.

douglas_macneill

posted February 21, 2010 at 6:44 pm

MReap, this Anglican certainly did receive ashes when he attended Ash Wednesday services–even though he happens to be Anglican Church of Canada by denomination.

Uopam

posted March 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Yesterday watched this movie and something pulled on thrills. Now playing poker Holdem poker download free

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Reformed Chicks Babbling. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 3:05:14pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

One Final Word
My dear friend Michele slipped into eternity on Wednesday, February 1.   She was a remarkable woman who left a legacy of faith, determination, and love. For three years she courageously battled the ovarian cancer that eventually robbed her of her life.  A few days before she died, one of her docto

posted 8:43:41pm Feb. 10, 2012 | read full post »

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated
My husband told me that there are rumors that I've died. I'm happy to report that I'm still very much alive. My cancer has gone to stage four but we are controlling it with chemo, the cancer numbers are currently in the normal range. I've stopped blogging to concentrate on my daughters and writing a

posted 7:07:55pm Aug. 23, 2010 | read full post »

An update and a prayer request
Several people have asked about Michele's condition, and have promised to pray for her. On her behalf, I thank you for that. I spoke with her a little while ago, and she asked that I come here and tell you what's going on, and to ask you to pray for her. She isn't able to post here herself right

posted 4:55:36pm Apr. 06, 2010 | read full post »

Rest in peace, Internet Monk.
A man known in the cyber world as The Internet Monk, has died. Michael Spencer lost his battle with cancer tonight. My prayers go out for his family and for all those who loved and will miss him. :(

posted 11:52:00pm Apr. 05, 2010 | read full post »